iii... Of Old Family Ties and Little Xing

Imperfect Perfection

a/n: Advanced Happy New Year, guys! And there are people who are actually reading this fic. Thank You a lot!

Oh, and the gray, italicized texts are flashbacks and the format: 'sample text' are for thoughts. :)


 

Promises are meant to be broken but some promises are worth keeping;

 

O’Dein Banks;

 

“...and you say your name is, boy?” Mr. Oh stared at the young man clad in ripped jeans and an over-sized hoodie that is conspicuously shifting under his intense gaze.

“It’s Sehun, Sir.” The boy lifted his head up and managed to curl a small smile.

“You know you’re not the only one claiming to be my lost son, young man.”

“But I’m not an impostor!” Sehun said, his voice raising in volume.

“Oh? Then prove it.”

Sehun gnawed on his lip, his fingers grasping something inside his jean pocket.

He’s been carrying the said thing everywhere, treating it as his lucky charm. His mom-foster mom- said that it holds his future and it was worth keeping so why not? His mom told him to find and give it to Mr. Oh under any circumstances. She told him that his life will change after it and that she had guided him enough. She couldn’t bear to pass knowing that she is leaving Sehun without anyone; Sehun has to be reunited with his parents but Sehun didn’t know of that until recently.

-

It was a rainy day where rain haters like Sehun would be cooped up inside in his room, sipping hot chocolate while reading a book but that Sehun is currently inked in mud, crouched like a cat while running his hands on the grassy expanse of Chanyeol’s front yard.

He heard the creaking of the door followed by heavy footsteps and a shout sounding from his friend’s porch,

“WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING SEHUN?!”

“Calm down Hyung. I’m trying to find something, so if you’re not going to help, please shut up!”

“Dude, you look like a mad man and FYI you’re in my front yard, idiot!” Chanyeol hid a scowl and proceeded to shield his friend from the rain and from his neighbors, if possible with his umbrella, “What are you looking for, anyway?”

“My lucky charm.”

“Wait, you mean that ring you akways have with you?You’re not gonna find it there, man.”

Sehun raised his eyebrow, looked at the goofy smile plastered on his goofy friend’s face and rolled his eyes, “How can you be so sure?”

“I’m sure I saw that old thing on the counter top in the living room,” Chanyeol bit his lips to stop himself from laughing as he trained his eyes on his best friend who is soaked in mud from shoulder to toe.

He snapped his head in his hyung’s direction and threw him a glare, “What the hell, Chanyeol!”

“You didn’t ask, okay? And if you could just stand up so you can clean yourself in—YOU DIDN’T HAVE TO SPLASH ME WITH MUD, YOU LITTLE BRAT!”

-

Once outside the shower, Chanyeol threw Sehun a towel to dry his hair with.

“You know, I’ve seen your ring somewhere before...” Chanyeol started.

“Huh? Oh yeah. It’s been everywhere including your boyfriend’s dog’s poo!”

“Yah! But hang on—“Chanyeol stood up from the couch and when he got back, handed Sehun a tattered newspaper dated three years ago. The words ‘O’DEIN BANKS SUCCESSOR; AN IMPOSTOR’ was written in bold letters along with a small picture of a ring much like his was attached to the article. Sehun knew about this issue for it has stirred rumors along Seoul and O’Dein Banks as well but he never knew that a ring was involved. He felt something in his guts that told him that maybe, maybe there is a future waiting for him in Seoul.

He almost hugged Chanyeol for keeping the newspaper for him until, ‘Now look at the article below it, can you see my Baekkie? He looks dashing in that picture, doesn’t he? I kept it since you know how stalkerish I can get during our...old times.’ But Sehun thanked his friend nevertheless.

-

The only thing that was holding Sehun back from revealing the ring inside his pocket was the thought of change. Is he ready for this new chapter in his life? Can he adjust his lifestyle to fit this new one? Is he ready to accept his parents because one look from Mr. Oh stirred something fom Sehun and he knew that that man is his father.

“You don’t have any evidence, do you?” In all honesty, Mr. Oh was hoping for him to be his son but seeing no response from the boy, he could only sigh. Sehun looks like his wife, Yejin, after all. He was debating whether to make him leave or let him stay when he noticed the boy reaching out—no he wasn’t, he was clutching something in his pale hand.

He almost recoiled from his seat when Sehun revealed the object in his hands. It was the old promise ring that he gave Park Heidi before they got separated from the fire. He remember asking his bestfriend a favor and burdening her with his son because he and his wife were in a tight situation and he couldn’t risk his son’s life and welfare.

‘“W-where’d you get that from?” Mr. Oh whispered, his eyes wide in shock.

“I got it from Park Heidi who raised me...Sir.”

“She raised you well, I can see. Did she tell you anything about that ring?”

“I’m afraid not, Sir. For she passed away last month in the midst of telling me about the...uhm...yeah. We can have a DNA test and see the results. I’m seeking for the comfort of having parents for far too long and...I...just can’t--” Sehun visibly gulped, his eyes tearing.

“I thought she didn’t escape the fire- I thought you both died. I’m sorry for not searching for you when we should have. I thought you’d hate us-your mother and I, so we settled for waiting for you to come to us instead. And my deep condolences for Heidi, she has been a very good friend. Lastly, I’m sorry, son.” Mr. Oh felt his son’s pain.

“It’s nothing, Sir.”

“Call me Father, Sehum-ah.” Sehun tipped his face up and saw his father’s sincere smile and little by little, all the pain that Sehun had to endure was finally released taking the form of tears. But now, he’s crying in his father’s arms, encircling him and Sehun felt content, for the first time.

 

Angel’s Breath Orphanage; 2 days later

 

“Oh my. You’ve grown, Lu Han! The kids missed you a lot, especially Yixing.” Lady Lee greeted Lu Han with a warm smile.

“Oh, contrary to that, I see that time hasn’t affected you, Lady Jung.” Lu Han told her.

“You flatter me! I’ve grown old, Lu and it’s about time that you visit us after six months!”

“Where are the kids, Lady Lee? I’ve brought them snacks,” Lu Han said referring to the bags that he was holding.

“Oh, let me handle that. I’ll prepare it for them, you go visit Xing first. He’s been quite...lonely.”