Chapter 3: Distance

Last Fantasy

 

The next few days have since treated Dongwoo better. As if there was an invisible force motivating him, he stopped isolating himself and came out of his room more often, spotting a healthier glow in his skin since he started feeding again. The servants, especially the elderly were glad to see the young boy up and walking. They were extremely helpful and polite to him, although he did not necessarily return the gesture of friendliness. Occasionally, a murmur of ‘thank you’ from him was enough to make their hearts contented. Watching him was like watching a wilting flower being brought back to life at the brink of death.

 

Dawn approached and enveloped the earth with the steady heat of the rising sun. The princess curled her lips to form one of her rare smiles. Maybe it was because that spring was arriving, or maybe it was just saving someone from depression, or maybe it was both. With her spirits lifted along his, she barely noticed her skin turning papery, or that she felt cold more easily. She approached Dongwoo’s presence within a few meter’s radius almost every day, laughing at herself for not being able to bring up the courage to befriend him. This time, she did not even let the bitter experiences ensnare her. He wasn’t hostile towards her either. He did not chase her away when he knew she was around too often. In fact, he thought it mildly hilarious. It was like they had a mutual and silent consent for being close and apart at the same time.

 

The maids discussed the non-existential interaction forming between the two children in between meals and chores. It became a topic of conversation rather than gossip as it was endearing to see two young people, strange and quiet in their own ways spending time with distance put in the middle. When Princess Soojung was tending to her roses in the garden where the light intensity was less, the boy would suddenly be interested in the lilacs located near the roses; or when the boy was exercising around the artificial water features, the princess would be reading while leaning against a statue. All this happened and they never uttered a single word to each other. This frustrated those who craved to watch the two become acquaintances or confidants. Mostly, it was out of their sympathy towards the princess, who never had many friends.

 

One morning, the kitchen maid, Bong Sun packed the breakfast prepared for Dongwoo in a picnic basket. She filled the carrier with some food that he favored, and some that were not familiar to him. The jovial woman slapped her forehead lightly when she had almost forgotten to pack the handkerchiefs and refreshments. Another maid who was sweeping the floor stopped humming her fast tune when the sight of the rarely used picnic basket caught her eye. The only person who uses it is the princess, and occasionally the queen who was currently away visiting her sister. Before she could ask if the princess was having breakfast outdoors, the new young master entered the dry kitchen, wearing a green polo and a pair of beige khakis. Bong Sun bowed at him, placing the handle of the carrier in his hands.

 

“Good morning, young master,” she greeted. Dongwoo returned her bow and smiled a little wider than the day before.

 

“The weather is lovely today. Why don’t you take this opportunity to enjoy the morning breeze and dine outside? I know a sturdy tree just after the greenhouse. It would be a perfect place to finish the goodies I’ve packed for you, dear.”

 

It took a moment to clear the confusion on his face, but he certainly remembered spotting a greenhouse when he wandered along the pavilions some time ago. He was also curious about the odd arrangement, with Bong Sun gesturing him out towards the entrance hurriedly. Nonetheless, he couldn’t complain or reject her suggestion, so he left with a sigh and another look at the basket in his hands.

 

The maid tapped her fingers at the broom mischievously, finally able to speak to her senior.

 

“I see what you did there, Bong Sun-unnie. The tree you were talking about is the princess’ favorite tree, isn’t it?”

 

She shrugged while keeping a grin on her lips. “Well, it is my intention and the others for those two to connect. The princess should have more friends anyway.”

 

“The princess is there now?”

 

“She went just a while before he came down. I wonder what will happen when they meet, face to face. They can’t possibly ignore each other out of good manners, can they?”

 

“I don’t know about that. Only thing I’m interested to know is how the other young man would react to this.”

 

Bong Sun paused midway while scrubbing the pot, mouth open as if her fellow colleague had just asked an obvious question.

 

“Of course he’ll be happy for her! He might even be a best friend to him.”

 

The younger maid shook her head and continued sweeping the already spotless floor. She did not agree with the previous statement made.

 

“You don’t know unnie, but the prince can be jealous and overprotective pretty easily.”

___________________________________________________________________________________________

The ancient tree had jagged leaves an unusual blend of white, pearl and pale pink. Its bark had smooth grooves running vertically in complicated lines that crossed each other. The unique quality of it was the way the branches grew. This tree had only two main branches shaped similarly like a candelabra, with the strong sub-branches no thicker than twigs. No flowers grew out of it either, yet Dongwoo found it strangely appealing as he moved nearer and nearer. He almost halted his tracks when he saw a girl standing right under, placing her right palm on the bark with her eyes closed serenely. It was the same girl that entered his room that night, the same girl he wanted to thank, and the same girl that was following him while he followed her.

 

Carefully and silently, he made his way behind her relaxed figure, wondering what is it that she was doing, what is it that kept her so engrossed that she didn’t sense him right behind her, then beside her. She could be asking the tree how it was, and the tree would gladly reply her by using the breeze to help send it message. She could be listening to the rustle of the leaves, interpreting and happy with its answer. Whatever it is, Dongwoo was fascinated, earlier by the majestic tree, now by the simple her.

 

After several moments, Soojung fluttered her eyes open, awaken from her temporary sleep. She turned her head and saw Dongwoo standing within an arm’s distance, the closest the two had ever been in occupying a space. The way he stared at her made her feel more shy than scared. Shocked, she tried to retreat and ended up stumbling over an invisible rock.  

 

Fortunately, his reflexes were sharper and faster than hers. He swiftly caught her by the waist and steadied her body against his, taking note that she was warmer than most vampires. Her mind raced at the physical contact with a stranger other than him. Soojung recovered her posture and balanced herself on two feet before overcoming her speechless state. She ought to thank him for not letting her kiss the ground. How was she going to put it in words? There wasn’t even a proper introduction between them, although she thought that they both should know each other’s names by now.

 

“You’re clumsy,” Dongwoo accidentally blurted his thoughts. He mentally slapped himself as soon as the words left his throat. What kind of first words were these to a lady, moreover a princess who’s had an undefined relationship with him. Immediately, he lowered his eyes in shame. He hoped that she did not take offense to his rash comment.

 

Suddenly, he heard a stifled laughter. Soojung coughed awkwardly and pinched herself to swallow the laugh that was building inside. Conversation might not be so difficult after all if he could state bluntly a quality that was so true about her. Raising her gaze, she saw something soft and honest about the will in his eyes. The tinge of embarrassment he shared with her was slowly disappearing.

 

“Yeah,” she admitted slowly. “I am clumsy.”