[MinKyun] - Cheer Up

Monsta X - Drabbles & Short Stories

A/N: I gotta get better at remembering where I get prompts. The sentence that's bold and italicized is the prompt, but I forgot where I got it... Oh well.


[3rd Person POV]

"Minhyuk. You're normally a great worker, but if something like this happens again, I might have to let you go. Be careful. I'd really hate to have to fire you."

"I'm sorry, sir! I don't know how it got to this but it won't happen again." Minhyuk bowed his head, earning a pat on his shoulder from his boss.

"I know it won't. You're good for that."

------------

Minhyuk aimlessly walked down the sidewalk. The events from earlier today had taken over his mind. The only thing he knew was that he was meeting his boyfriend in the park. Changkyun's text sounded urgent, but he just couldn't bring himself to move as fast as he should have. Despite his slow-rolling, Minhyuk managed to get to their normal meeting spot within the time that he told the younger. He expected to see Changkyun looking around like a lost child, like he always does, but what he sees instead breaks his heart. 

Changkyun was wiping his face as he just got done crying. He took a deep breath and exhaled. His bottom lip stuck out in a pout, leaving him frozen like that. Minhyuk decided that now would be the time he makes himself known.

-------------

'There is skill in making someone happy when they're sad. However, there is more skill in making someone happy when you're sad.'

-------------

Minhyuk mimicked the younger's facial expression and snuck up behind him. He slowly lowered his face into Changkyun's line of sight, right onto his shoulder, effectively shocking him. 

"Yah, Minhyuk!" While he chuckled a bit, Minhyuk examined the brunette's face. His eyes were glossy and red, as well as his nose, slightly. Minhyuk looked down and caught a bundle of tissues in his hand. Changkyun squeezed it and snatched it away.

"Changkyun. Were you crying?" Minhyuk asked as he walked to the front of the bench to sit next to Changkyun. He placed his hand on the younger's knee, giving him a comforting squeeze.

"I was uh...." Hie sniffled as his body shivered. He knew he couldn't lie to Minhyuk at that point. "Yeah."

"Why? You may look cute pouting, but you shouldn't be sad enough to do it. Tell me what's wrong." Minhyuk took his sweater's sleeve and wiped an extra tear from the latter's face.

"My favorite aunt is in the hospital and it's pretty bad. There's no way I can see her because she's all the way in the states." Suddenly, Minhyuk's problem seemed so little compared to Changkyun's. He knew that he had to do something to cheer him up. 

"Have you tried calling?"

"When I did, visiting time was over and they weren't allowed to give the phone to her. I don't even know if she can talk to me. They said that she was stable, but they never told me exactly what happened neither. They're keeping stuff from me and it's getting frustrating!" Changkyun took the tissues and wiped his face again. Fresh tears started to roll down his face as his frustration was getting to him.

"Do you know their visiting hours?"

"Some time at noon... It would be in the dead of night over here though."

"Well, let's hope someone in your family is tech savvy because we're gonna stay up and try to video chat with them. You're gonna demand that they let you see her and you're not gonna take no for an answer." Minhyuk took his hands and touched Changkyun's cheeks. His face was hot from the tears, making him bring the younger in for a hug.

"You're willing to do that with me? I wouldn't ask you to give up your sleep because I know you gotta work-"

" work. You're more important." Minhyuk tightened his hug slightly and then looked down with a smile on his face. "Now that that's settled, let's get some food. I bet you didn't eat cause you're worrying too much." Changkyun chuckled and nodded. 

---------------

"Hyung?"

"Yeah?"

"Something you said kinda disturbs me." Changkyun had put down everything in his hands, causing Minhyuk to do the same thing.

"What was it?"

"It was when I mentioned your job. Your voice suddenly got an angry tone to it. Why was that? Did something happen at your job today?" 

"Yeah... I kinda almost got fired."

"What?! Why didn't you tell me?!" Minhyuk stuck his hands out in a gesture to tell Changkyun to calm down.

"It's okay."

"No it's not. Instead of asking you how your day went, you spent all that time worrying over my problem."

"It's no big deal. Compared to my problem, yours was so much more important. I didn't care about anything but making you happy because I hate to see you cry. When I walked up, I saw you sniffling and wiping your face. My problem disappeared at that moment. I didn't mind helping you."

"But... But what are you gonna do?"

"I just have to be more careful when talking to people. That's all."

"Was it a complaint?" Minhyuk nodded, the image of the scene playing back in his head.

"It was a misunderstanding that turned into an argument that turned into a complaint. They didn't understand what I said and got mad. Not really my fault but since she complained, it became my fault. I don't really care because my problem ended with that." Changkyun looked down, still feeling guilty that he added his own troubles onto Minhyuk's shoulders. "Listen, it's really no big deal. I know what you're thinking and it's okay. I chose to help you. Don't feel bad for anything. Instead, finish eating. Your food will get cold." Minhyuk smiled but it took a minute for Changkyun to get over it.

"Next time, tell me. Okay? I don't wanna dump anything else on you if you had a bad day."

"Deal." They smiled at each other and they were both genuine ones at that. Minhyuk had succeeded in cheering Changkyun up and he couldn't have been prouder.

~2/28/18~