End

One Night in a Strange City

                It was past midnight in Seoul. The streets were busy, cars were driving down the roads at high speeds. The sound of people’s laughter could be heard in the distance, probably young adults leaving bars after a long day of work, along with the occasional police siren. The city glowed with fluorescent blue and purple lights, and the full moon shone brightly, lighting up even the darkest corners of Seoul.

                Taehyung and Namjoon ran into a passage between two tall buildings, the warm street light illuminating it. The passage led to another street that was almost pitch black. This part of town was quite inactive at this time of night, so, except for the sound of the street light occasionally flickering, it was relatively quiet. The noise from the rest of the town sounded muffled, making the two boys feel like they were in a completely different place.

Taehyung felt like someone was squeezing his stomach as he picked up the cold, metal cylinder. He stared at it apprehensively and it with his thumb. “Are… Are you sure this is okay?”

                Namjoon punched his shoulder lightly and smiled cheekily, his dimples clearly visible. “Don’t worry. This is a great way to let off steam.” He grabbed his own can and tossed it in the air, catching it coolly. “Let’s do this.”

                They both simultaneously lowered their bags onto the concrete, and the clink of the cans that they contained echoed throughout the alley. Taehyung clenched his spray can and looked at Namjoon apprehensively. Namjoon grinned and uncapped his can, like he’d done it a thousand times, and shook it boldly before beginning to spray something onto the wall.

                “Come on, Tae.” He looked at Taehyung expectantly, pausing his spraying. “You can do it.”

                Taehyung breathed in and out slowly, then smiled, trying to relieve the tension in his body. He bit his lip and tried to act cool like his hyung, tossing the can up into the air and catching it clumsily. He glanced at Namjoon sheepishly and Namjoon chuckled, looking at Taehyung affectionately. “Hurry up, before we get caught.”

                Taehyung nodded and shook the can before taking the lid off and throwing it to the side. He heard Namjoon begin to write, but Taehyung hesitated again.

                “Write anything you want.” Namjoon stated, continuing his spraying. “Write something you want to tell the world, something you want to let out.”

                Taehyung clenched the can, lifted his arm and began writing. It was harder than it looked. He put more passion into it, moving his arm faster and more freely. He felt adrenaline flowing through his veins, and the hesitance from before was gone, replaced by a feeling of freedom and rebellion.

                When they were done, they stood back and leaned on the wall opposing their graffiti, both grinning widely. The wall was now littered with curses and a couple rebellious sentences.

                “That felt great.” Taehyung said, fixing his gaze on Namjoon. “Thanks.” He couldn’t wipe the smile off his face when he looked proudly back at his graffiti.

                Namjoon placed an arm around Taehyung’s shoulder and leaned his head on his green-streaked hair. “It was, wasn’t it? You should come with me again sometime.”

                Taehyung looked up at him and smiled warmly. “I will.” They looked at each other for a few seconds, and the grin on Namjoon’s face slowly disappeared. His dark brown eyes trailed down Taehyung’s face, stopping at his lips, and Taehyung unconsciously wet them, his tongue slowly gliding across them, making them shimmer in the dim light. Namjoon raised an eyebrow teasingly, then leaned in slowly.

                The two boys were interrupted by the sound of a passing car. They whipped their heads in its direction but it quickly passed, not noticing them.

                They both let out a sigh of relief and looked back at each other. They erupted into a fit of laughter and slid down the wall, feeling a wave of relief.

                Taehyung kept his eyes trained on Namjoon. “Namjoon, I…”

                Suddenly, they were both enveloped in bright white light. Namjoon stiffened and pulled Taehyung up by his arm roughly. “Run!” He exclaimed, and grabbed his bag off the ground, still holding onto Taehyung’s arm. Taehyung hurriedly grabbed his own bag and they both took off down the passage, into the dark street ahead of them. The light was still on them, and they could hear someone yelling at them to stop. “Don’t look back!” Namjoon instructed and they sprinted into the next street.

                Namjoon let go of Taehyung’s arm and tossed his bag aside onto the street, then continued to run. They ran and ran, through the dark street and into the light of the busy city. They ran past people walking on the sidewalk, past the cars swerving to avoid them. Taehyung held his bag in his hands, the clunking of the cans inside of it barely heard above the noises of the city. They began to hear a police siren, and it sounded as if it were getting closer. Namjoon sped up and Taehyung tried to keep up with him. He heard Namjoon begin to laugh hysterically. “This is exhilarating, isn’t it?!” He yelled out, looking over his shoulder at Taehyung. Taehyung grinned and nodded, then grabbed onto Namjoon’s hand, and Namjoon gripped onto it tightly as they continued running.

                They were soon out of breath and exhausted, so they ended up in a well-lit street, hunched over and gasping for breath. The siren could still be heard, but it was farther away.

                When Namjoon was finally able to breathe again, he walked over to Taehyung and lifted him up by his shoulders. He gently pat Taehyung’s cheek. “You did well. Don’t worry about the cops.” He told him soothingly. Taehyung nodded. “Thanks. Thanks for bringing me out here.” He sighed and closed his eyes. “I wish I could drown in this feeling. I feel so free.”

                Namjoon smiled at him, letting his hand rest on Taehyung’s cheek, slowly pulling him closer. Taehyung tossed aside his bag and wrapped his arms around Namjoon’s waist before their lips connected softly. The kiss was sweet and gentle, like they were both at home. They were both filled with warmth and love, and for a couple seconds it seemed like the world around them had been paused.

 

                It wasn’t long until the police found them. They were roughly pressed against the cool frame of the police car, held down and handcuffed. Taehyung’s bag was ped and emptied, the cans clanking onto the ground and rolling away.

                The world around them seemed unreal, illusionary, like they were in a dream. The sounds around them dulled and everything seemed like it was occurring in slow motion. Taehyung’s heart was racing, yet he could still taste the feeling of freedom that he had experienced. He looked up at Namjoon, who was also placed against the side of the car, and smiled; his eyes shimmering with love and admiration. Then, he was suddenly pushed back into reality when he felt the rough hands of the cop pull him back and push him in the car. That was when the fear, panic and regret began setting in. He felt it seep throughout his entire body and suddenly, he was exhausted and shivering. The events of the night raced through his mind vividly, but suddenly stopped when he felt a warm hand enclose his own. “It’ll all be okay.” Namjoon’s deep, steady voice flowed into his ears and he could feel his body relax. He squeezed Namjoon’s hand and sighed. It’ll all be okay.


Thank you for reading! Corrections and constructive criticism are welcome! I realize that the plot doesn't make much sense, but hey, more writing practice. Thank you once again! ^^

(picture credit)