缘分: Fateful Coincidence

Over U

 

001

 

缘分

[A RELATIONSHIP BY FATE OR DESTINY.]

 

You know those dramas, where the main girl is literally the epitome of perfection. She’s plain beautiful to the point you contemplate whether or not you can even compete with her. She’s usually poor, and she works really hard to compensate for it—though it never seems to work. She moves to a new town, and it results in her moving to a new school, where she meets the guy. The guy, is usually just as perfect but in male form. He’s popular, and physically buff that he’ll bat off his jealous rage onto other people (usually the other guy). But, the thing is, he has a girlfriend. The quote unquote . She never truly does anything wrong, she just happens to be the girlfriend to the guy and is not the main girl—so she’s hated on.

 

The usually tries her hardest to keep a strong hold on the guy, but it never works. He ends up leaving her for the main girl; and one way or another the tries to go back after him. That’s when she’s truly hated, for going back after the guy who left her for the main girl. Though, despite in the same situation as the , the other guy is nowhere near as hated as her. In Min Young’s situation, she’s the , and that hate the viewers give to the on TV: is the hate she’s receiving from the viewers at school.

 

No matter how hard she tries to get on the good side of people at school, they glare at her and whisper behind her back. “I heard she was so desperate for Jackson that she tried to cut Jia’s hair off to make her look ugly. But it didn’t work, and Jackson yelled at her.” That’s a favorite, there’s also the one where Min tried to burn down Jia’s house, tried to kidnap Jackson, and also tried very hard to make him jealous by going after his best friend—all of it didn’t work.

 

“Min,” She glances up at her best friend; Fei Fei, who’s starring at her feet with her fingers digging into the side of pants. Meanwhile, Min’s smiling brightly at her; thankful that, if anyone, Fei has stayed by her side. “We can’t be friends anymore.” Min’s smile instantly drops as she stares at Fei with wide eyes. Can’t be friends? For what reason? She did nothing wrong; everyone has left her, now Fei too? “It’s just, I’ve come to befriend Jia, and I can’t be friends with you and her.”

 

Min shakes her head fiercely, “So, you’re choosing her over me?” Fei nods her head, not even looking remotely sad about it, before leaving Min in the middle of the hallway—standing completely stupid in front of her locker. She’s the second choice again. Her boyfriend left her, and now her best friend? Who’s next, her mom? Why does everyone hate her? Why does everyone think she’s so crappy but Jia’s the great almighty? Last time Min checked, Jia’s the one that popped out of nowhere and wrecked her relationship with Jackson. Jia’s the homewrecker , not Min. Min did nothing wrong.

 

Yet, she’s hated on.

 

An overwhelming feeling of plain anger runs through her system as she bolts from her locker—after slamming it closed—and moving up the three flights of stairs until making it to the gated roof top (suicides on school roofs are pretty big in Gangnam) and finally rests when she takes a seat near the edge, her feet sticking out through the holes of the gate. She’s so fed up with high school already. The immaturity of most students makes her feel like she could throw up at any given moment—God how she wants to.

 

Not to mention that they’re not even treating her like a person now. They see her like they see anybody else on TV. The girl who might ruin everything. That’s who she’s become. She’s no longer the main girl, she was kicked out of that position. To think, in those dramas before the main girl comes along, the is the main girl. It’s just, writers always try to push the into that roll—that roll people love to hate. She’s living that role on a daily basis. She’s become the person everyone hates. And now she happens to hate everyone at her school for hating her for no reason.

 

Please, give her one good reason not to hate everyone at school; then she might actually think about conversing with someone other than herself. Because, honestly, it’s too damn much. Every one of her friends have left her for Jia and Jackson; like she doesn’t matter anymore. And it , it more so than anything else. Above all, she wishes somebody would stay with her—and not leave her. Someone who would choose her, over anyone else at this ridiculously childish school.

 

“What’s wrong with you?” The voice causes her to jolt backwards in surprise. No one ever comes up here, they say there’s a person who lives up here. Min moves her head to the left, and tilts it slightly upward to face where the flat like voice came from. The blonde boy standing there, is someone she doesn’t recognize. He’s not that tall—probably a few inches taller than her—he’s not wearing the school uniform, but instead a white shirt, and dark black skinny jeans. He’s someone that she completely doesn’t recognize. More so, someone she now presumes either goes to her school but doesn’t attend classes, or doesn’t go to her school period.

 

“I’m pretty sure I just asked you a question.” He states while shoving his hands into the pockets of his jeans. Yep, definitely not from her school. No one from her school, no one, would ever ask her a question; they’re not interested in what she has to say. More so, there interested in what she hasn’t done and will never do; but what they think she might be doing. She’s even more convinced when he takes a seat next to her and moves his head to look in her direction. His eyes thin in question as he tilts his head to the side. “Ah, I get it.” He mumbles as he suddenly sticks his hand out. “You’re the type of girl who needs to know the person before telling them anything.”

 

Her eyebrows clash together as she watches him smile, “My names Si Young, and you are?” The first thing Min thinks of, is how weird this guy is. First of all, he probably doesn’t go to her school. Second, he’s on the school’s roof which most people don’t go on. And third, he’s acting as if they’re about to be chummy with each other. Though, it’s not like Min really has anyone to talk to; and with the state she’s in now, why not talk to the crazy lunatic on the school’s roof who might not even go to her school?

 

“Min Young.” She hesitantly shakes his hand which is stuck out in front of him, and near her. “Do you go here?” His eyebrow lifts up in question as she gestures to the building, and the school itself. She waits patiently for him to answer, and after letting his eyes wander around her face, he does.

 

“Yes, I’m in my senior year, you?”

 

Min takes a deep breath at the confirmation; at least he’s not some crazy wacko. “I’m a junior.” She bows her head respectfully at him as he gazes at her once more. She doesn’t say anything else, and shifts her view back toward the blacktop far below them where, leaning up against some of the dumpsters, is a few kids smoking and laughing with each other. Being friendly; something Min hasn’t been used to in a while.

 

“So, what’s wrong?” He asks once more as he leans his head against the bars and smiles at her, with a sloppy grin. Min takes a deep breath to shrug her shoulders. What is wrong? Everything. That should be the answer, but that makes her sound so childish and over the top; pompous even. When she’s not that, it’s just, people can be so cruel without realizing it.

 

She turns her head back toward him and sighs, “A lot.”

 

“A lot being…?” He trails off and waits for her to answer; she doesn’t. It seems so childish to explain all of it. The basis being that everyone has placed her under a title that’s nothing like her. And she hates it; because, no matter how hard she tries that title will never leave her. It’s just like when a guy brands a girl as a ‘’ because she slept with someone before marriage. Cruel.

 

But, no one else will listen to her, so why not explain herself and her problems to him? She starts from the beginning, sophomore year the year she transferred to Seoul high, to when she started dating Jackson and meeting Fei Fei. To the most recent tragedy of Jackson breaking up with her in front of everyone to proclaim his love for Jia. And the ultimate hatred toward her for no reason. Si Young stayed silent through most of it, a few ‘hum’s’ and ‘ah’s’ in response but for the most part he was silent. And Min thanks him for that, if he were to interrupt her, she’d probably get upset or worse she might cry and wouldn’t even have a reason why.

 

In the end he only smiles at her, “That sounds a lot like Seoul high.”  She tilts her head in response. What’s that supposed to mean? Has something like her situation happened before? If so, she’s never heard about it. “Don’t worry about it; they’ll find someone else to taunt soon enough.” He pats the top of her head with a grin as he stands back up and looks down at the clock on his wrist. “You should get going, class will start soon.”

 

He helps her up by offering his hand and once standing she fully bows toward him but he only laughs. “Thank you.” Before he can say there’s no need, Min’s bolting inside the building to not be seen by him for the next few days—weeks even. Not until another incident.

 

002

 

Min Young has been minding her own business for the past few weeks; she began to think that if she minded her own business, everyone else would mind theirs. Obviously, Min was wrong, really wrong. It didn’t take long to figure out that people were still talking about her, still looking at her like she’s the menace in Jackson and Jia’s perfect life. But it really impacted her on a Friday before her mother’s birthday. It was lunch, and like always Min goes to the bathroom because she drank too much water when running in mandatory fitness class. There’s someone in the stall next to her who’s stinky; so she has to hold her breath in order to not throw up as well.

 

That’s not what bothers her; it’s the two girls who come into the bathroom a few minutes after she does. They stand in front of the large glass mirror, fixing their smudged lipstick and the eyeliner that’s beginning to dissipate. “Did you hear what happened between Jackson and Min Young?” One says, and it causes a slight jolt in Min’s body as she stays completely silent to listen in on the conversation about her.

 

“No, what?” The other nasally girl asks.

 

The first one turns toward the other and leans closer to her as if it’s the biggest secret in the history of the planet. “Apparently, she went over to Jackson’s house and begged him to take her back because she’s pregnant with his baby. And then, Jia showed up and nicely asked for the proof that she’s pregnant. So, Min punched her in the face and began to kick her. She finally left when Jackson yelled so loud, that his neighbors almost called the police.” The other one gasps, as does Min who quickly covers . Thankfully, neither of the girls hear her.

 

“What a !” The nasally one says as she lets a ‘tsk’ roll from her tongue. “She’s so desperate and because of that she lost her last chance in getting a boyfriend. No one wants a pregnant for a girlfriend.” The first nods, and together the two leave. Thus leaving Min in silence, with the stinky girl in the toilet next to her. Sudden tears well up in her eyes as she covers up the sob that’s about to burst out of her chest. She can’t help but cry. She believed in the words that Si Young had said to her, that after a while they’ll move on. But it’s been two weeks, why haven’t they gotten over it?

 

And now, all she can do is cry; because, how is she supposed to fix the reputation tarnished by all the rumors going around? She did go over to Jackson’s house, but it was to fetch a few of her things that she had left over there the last time she was there. Jia showed up, and screamed at her to leave and Min being the innocent that didn’t want to trouble anyone, does as said. For heaven’s sake, Min’s a pacifist. There’s no way in hell she’d ever strike somebody. She may want to, but she would never be able to go through with it. Besides, she was always taught to talk things through and to always use your words.

 

She doesn’t know how it happens, it’s a bit different from the last time she went there; she’s not angry. She’s just overwhelmingly sad, to the point that it begins to hurt. Her stomach tightens, and her heart beat quickens as tears pour down her face. When she gets to the roof, she just falls down beside the door in utter agony as sob after sob rakes her body.  How can people say such cruel things about a person they don’t truly know? Is this what it’s like to be bullied, she thinks to herself. To be so hurt mentally that it hurts her physically. She supposes that’s what it’s like. And as she curls herself into a ball and continues to cry into her knees, she truly thinks it.

 

“You’re upset again,” A voice calls as a presence comes to squat in front of her. She gently glances up, tears still falling to her cheeks, her eyes still blurry. Though, she could recognize that face anywhere; it’s that stupid boy who gave her false hope. “What happened this time?” As he brings a hand to pat her head like last time, except this time she moves his hand away from her and glowers up at him. He doesn’t seem surprised, nor is he upset by her action, he only laughs and takes a seat in front of her in a position similar to hers. Knees pulled to his chest with his arms wrapped around his legs.

 

Her glare doesn’t fall from her face as she brings her fingers up to wipe away the tears. She can’t comprehend how he could possibly be smiling in this situation. She’s in so much pain, how could he laugh at that? Is he a psycho? Is he pleasured by the fact she’s in horrible pain? “You lied to me.” She states as her bottom lip quivers in utter displeasure. She thought maybe she could trust him, but here we go once more; she has no one on her side. “You said people would move on, but they haven’t.”

 

Si Young slowly nods his head as a short ‘ah’ leaves the tip of his tongue. “What happened this time?” He asks and she only mumbles a few incoherent words before a sigh leaves . Once again, she starts from the beginning of the story. Telling him how she went to Jackson’s house and retrieved her old things, Jia screamed at her, then the story in the bathroom, and how no one will want to date her because everyone thinks she’s a pregnant , that’s not even worth a minute of anyone’s time. “Hate to break this to you; but, I didn’t lie.” Comes Si Young’s statement as he leans backward with one leg now stretched out beside her. Min glances back at him with narrowed eyes; her face a void of tears. He laughs again, as he helps her stand up and guides her to an area on the other side of the roof, wear an old rusty bunch sits.

 

“Technically, people have moved on.” He begins as the two take a seat on the bench only for Min to twist toward him shocked. They haven’t moved on! They’re still so focused on her; he said it would get better, but obviously it hasn’t. “People have gone from whispering about you; to just saying it out in the open. There’s the change, maybe not for the better, but soon it will.”

 

Min face contorts in dissatisfaction. It’s kind of sadistic to know that the only way the hate will slide off of her is when someone else gets it. She should feel bad; or at the very least, she shouldn’t want for things to turn out the same for someone else. “How do you know?” She questions as she twists her gaze toward him in question; once again, all she gets in return is a laugh.

 

He glances at his watch, before looking back at her. “You need to go.” He stands up, and turns back toward her offering his hand for her to stand. She dismisses it and follows him to the door leading to the stairs. “Class starts in five minutes.” He pats the top of her head, his fingers rustling through her hair, before pushing her toward the door with a smile. She stares after him as he lazily trudges back to the bench he was sat on before.

 

“Do you ever go to class?” She questions; more to herself than to him.

 

He only lets out a chuckle, and doesn’t respond as she leaves down the stairs and to her locker. There’s no doubt that she garnered more stares than before, as she grabs her books and passes by Jackson and Jia without a care. They wanted something to happen. For her to yell at Jia and stake Jackson as her claim. Yet, what no one knows, is that the people that really cause the drama are the people they cherish the most.

 

003

 

Min likes to believe that despite what other’s may say, her life isn’t that bad. Yes, she’s still a pariah. At lunch no one will sit with her, and if she tries to sit with someone they’ll get up and leave. If she tries to talk to someone, they’ll only nod their heads before avoiding her as much as possible. And yes, people still talk about her. And, for some odd reason, they love to talk about her even when she’s within hearing range. People, usually, treat her like a door mat; and despite Min being nothing like that, she lets it happen. It’s either be a door mat that’s stored in the garage all alone by itself or be the door mat that gets stepped on—she chooses the former.

 

“Sweetie,” Her mother calls from her position in the kitchen. Her eyes flicker upwards, away from her homework, to see her mother moving briskly on the wooden floors. “I haven’t seen Fei in a while, did you two get in a fight?” She looks over at Min, and for a second Min debates whether or not she should tell her the truth. That Fei stopped being friends with her, because she wasn’t Jackson’s girlfriend anymore. She decides not to; her mother has enough on her plate. Specifically, her menacing younger sister—the one who’s way too much of a hassle for Min to even dare think of rebelling like most teenagers.

 

She shakes her head and smiles up at her mother, “Of course not, you know I hate fighting. Fei’s just been really busy with school work and upcoming tests.” Her mother merely nods as she flips over something in one of her iron pans, while at the same time Su Ji walks into the room with a grin lining her dark red lips. “Where have you been?” Min asks as the younger, wearing dark red spandex shorts and a black crop top, takes a seat on the stool next to her. She leans her head against her arms that lie on the counter and rolls her eyes at her sister.

 

“I was with Jae Beom, why?” The younger tilts her head down to look at her older sister with raised brows.

 

Min shakes her head, distrusting her younger sister. She highly doubts that reckless Su Ji would be anywhere near nerdy Jae Beom. Rather, the younger was probably with some of the kids she saw hanging out at the back of the school yard. The ones who drive quickly, and smoke even though—legally—they shouldn’t be. “He’s a nice boy.” Their mom comments, and Su Ji nods her head in agreement.

 

“Isn’t he?” The younger asks in a rhetorical tone as she switches her view toward her mother. “He’s tutoring me in Biology; you know I’ve never been good at science.” Her mother nods her head in agreement, as Min rolls her eyes in adamant disbelief.

 

Their mother twists toward them, a smile still on her face. “You should invite his family over for dinner.” Su Ji mindlessly freezes at her mother’s comment; thus making Min grin, because, there’s no way Su Ji and Jae Beom have ever talked outside of the classroom. Moreover, she bets they haven’t talked period. Jae Beom is the type of guy that doesn’t like to talk, and Si Ji doesn’t like to be seen with anyone below her class level; obviously, Jae Beom is below her class level. Min takes this time to leave for her room; she doesn’t want to hear her sister’s stupid excuses. Especially because it usually upsets their poor mother who only wants to know as much about their lives as possible.

 

Min’s room is the color of the sky; it’s been that way since they moved in last year. She hates it. Her least favorite color in the world is light blue, it reminds her of all the good days back in Busan; with her father. Before his death, everything was perfect. A perfect life, just the ways she liked it. And now, every time she goes to her room she’s reminded about her life back then compared to now. And she hates it. Things were supposed to be okay after his passing; but, obviously it didn’t work out the way she or anyone in her family, wanted.

 

She takes a seat in her plush black desk chair, and reaches for her orange laptop, opening the lid and logging on to her favorite social media site. Min’s immediately greeted by the view of a thousand different posts, directed at her. It’s not that she didn’t see it coming, those comments about how she’s secretly planning Jia’s death and plotting to kidnap Jackson like she’s some secret mastermind hiding behind the façade of a high school student. And because of the rumor that she may threaten someone’s life, there’s no doubt that the police will be coming to her house. It’s routine.

 

She immediately bolts down the stairs, and lands in the family room to find not only her mother, and Su Ji but also their local police officer, Yong Gi—a dark haired man, with young features despite being forty and divorced five different times—who sits idly on the couch with a cup of coffee in front of him. Her mother, her hair pinned into a bun on top of her head, faces the man with tears sitting in the corners of her eyes as she listens attentively to what the man has to say. “Now, we don’t mean to upset you Miss Choi; but, we would like to speak to your daughter in order to clear this ordeal up.” He reaches over, and presses his hand against the top of her mothers, a smile b his lips. “Parents, like you, are scared.”

 

“I-I just don’t understand; Min Young is not that type of girl.” She sputters out, her words clashing together as she shakes her head; the force of the shake making her tears fall. “She would never say or do such a thing.” By now her mother began to cry like she could actually believe what the officer is saying, Su Ji is the one comforting her. It makes Min want to scoff, like she should be the one comforting her and Su Ji should be the one in trouble.

 

As much as she would like to bolt, and leave from this situation; she doesn’t. She walks down the rest of the steps and takes a seat on the other side of her mother, facing Yong Gi. “Hello officer Seo.” Min bows her head respectfully at the older man as she folds her hands in her lap, a habit she’s hand since a young age.

 

The man smiles at her, “Min Young, thank you for joining us.” He glances back at her mother who’s now composed herself once more, with the help of Su Ji. “Miss Choi, may I have more coffee?” The woman immediately nods her head and stands up, glancing at her oldest daughter, heading for the kitchen soon after. The older man looks back at Min, his smile still on his face. “Now, Min; can I call you that?”

 

“Sure.” She mumbles with a nod.

 

Yong Gi immediately grins at her as he continues, “Why don’t you tell me about what happened with a Mr. Wang Jackson and,” He stops to look down at his papers, before looking back up at her. “a Miss Meng Jia?” His smile says it all. That, no matter what she may say, he’ll probably believe her. Yong Gi knows his community like the back of his hand, and he knows how ridiculous high school students can be. He highly doubts a smart girl like Min, would kill a girl because she started dating her ex-boyfriend, it’s not logical and Min seems logical.

 

“I’m not quite sure how it happened,” She mumbles and at the sound of Min’s wavering voice, Su Ji grabs a hold of her hand and tries to sooth her as much as possible. God, if she knew this was the situation the older was in, she would’ve helped. “Jackson and I broke up, but people went crazy with it; like it’s the biggest news since God knows when. I swear, I have no plans to do anything, I just want to graduate.”

 

Yong Gi nods; and before Min can realize it, she’s being fully interviewed. From when she first started realizing people were taking it seriously, to restating everything about her relationship to Jackson, all the reasons as to why Fei Fei stopped being friends with her, even questions about why they left Busan. And when officer Yong Gi finally did leave, the three woman were exhausted. Though, not exhausted enough for Min’s mother to turn toward her rather upset.

 

“Min, why didn’t you tell me this was going on?” She asks as she reaches over to pat the top of her daughter’s hand roughly. God, even Su Ji feels bad for the sister she usually can care less about. “You should’ve told me.” By now, her mother was getting angry, and though she knows she shouldn’t be, she does to the point she starts screaming.

 

Min huffs, “Why are you yelling? I’ve never done anything wrong!” Her mother stands up, both hands on her hips, as Min jumps to her feet as well. Leaving Su Ji to sit there in awe; usually, her mother and her sister never argue or fight.

 

“You’ve never been one for being irresponsible but, Jesus Christ, what is wrong with you?” She screams, whipping her hand through some of the brunette hair that fell out of her bun. “A bomb threat? Killing someone? Doing drugs? What happened?” All the things that had been listed online as things Min would do, her mother can’t believe. Her daughter is wonderful, organized, and smart; why would she keep this to herself? Why would she lie and say everything is okay—when it’s obviously not? Why would she pretend to feel something that she doesn’t actually feel? Min’s mother is beginning to think about more and more questions, over and over again. And then, she snaps. “I can’t believe you!” She winds her hand back and slaps it flush against her daughter’s cheek. For the first time in her life, she had slapped her own daughter.

 

“Mom.” Su Ji gasps as she places a hand over in utter shock.

 

Min Young stares at her mother with wide eyes as she brings a hand to the now red spot on her cheek, tears brim her vision as she stares up at the woman she can’t seriously identify as her mother. Because, her mother would never use physical force against her. Her mother is gentle and calm. Her mother is caring, and generous. Her mother, no matter how angry, would never hurt her. With the little dignity Min has left, and with the hand still placed over the stinging red mark, she leaves through their white front door with Su Ji screaming after her and her mother only starring in awe.

 

Min doesn’t run, or cry, as she leaves her house; she walked out calmly and continues to do so as she walks down her home street. Some of her neighbors are in their front yard, Mr. Takanawa is even mowing his grass and gazing at her with wondering eyes. Min knows, that everyone knows what’s been spread around the web. Everyone thinks she’s some psycho crazy that’s about to snap and kill someone. They think she’s insane; even her own mother.

 

She winds up sitting in the corner of a library, her cheek now a dark shade of red with tiny scratches from her mother’s nails. Her phone is blowing up with text messages from her sister, and calls from her mother—even her Aunt and Grandmother have begun to leave voice messages to ask where she is, and if she’d like to stay with them instead of her mother and sister. Min’s not sure what she wants to do. Although, disappearing from society for a few days sounds better than being stuck with her family who thinks she’s going nuts.

 

“What happened this time?” A low and gruff voice asks; she already knows who it is. And when she looks up to see him squat down in front of her, looking at her as if he’s peering into her soul, she feels a bit relieved. He has an effortless smile on his face despite him not looking happy. Min thought that only happy people smiled, she guesses she was wrong. His eyes transfer to her cheek and with his index finger he points to it. “Who did that?”

 

Min sniffles and swipes her palm along her nostrils as she stares up at him. She’s not quite sure what compels her to tell him; because, she doesn’t even really know him. But, out of everyone in her life—including her family—he seems to be the only one who wants to know how she is. “My mom.” He nods his head slowly, and takes a seat next to her with one leg stretched out in front of him; he urges her to continue talking. “I guess you don’t use social media,” She begins as she uses her other hand to swipe at her eyes. He lets out a short chuckle and a nod in response; they barely know each other but here she is already knowing him. “People can be cruller on the internet; because they can’t see you face when it happens. They don’t feel guilty.”

 

“A policemen came to my house; he told her everything. She got upset, and for the first time ever—she hit me.” Si Young watches as her bottom lip quivers and her hands fist into the sides of her legs. She’s vulnerable, more so then that day on the roof top. Back then, strangers hurt her; now, her own mother hurt her. There’s nothing worse than being damaged by the people you trust and love. “Things changed once more; just like you said. But, I don’t think I was ready for it—not this time.”

 

He lets out a gravelly breath as he kicks the edge of her foot, “Things will get better.” Min wants to laugh at that: it’s ridiculous that he keeps saying that. It’s still yet to happen. Honestly, how ridiculous! Doesn’t he have anything better to do then comfort her? “Can I see that?” He points to her cheek and slowly, but surely, she nods her head. He moves forward as she twists her head to the side; allowing him to reach up and graze his thumb against it. She hisses in pain when he the protruding scratches. “It’s not too bad.”

 

“It hurts.” She states as he pulls his fingers away from her skin.

 

He modestly nods his head as he settles his hands back on his lap. “You should go back home.”

 

“She doesn’t want to see me.” She meekly responds.

 

Si Young lets out another unassuming breath as his eyes travel from her cheek to her eyes. “You don’t know that,” Min goes to interrupt him, but he places two of his fingers to his lips to tell her to be quiet. “Every mother loves their child; she was probably caught up in the moment and didn’t recognize what she was doing. That’s not an excuse,” He adds on as he watches her flinch at the memories of what happened earlier. “But, parents can make mistakes too.”

 

“I don’t want to go home.” She says faintly.

 

He lets out a laugh as if she’s rather childish for saying something like that. “Then what are you going to do?” She shrugs her shoulders and exhales as she sets her head on the top of her knees. All she knows, is that she’s not going back home tonight. Not to her mothers, not to her aunts, and not to her grandmothers. She’ll sleep in the park if she has to. But, there’s no way she’s going home. “You’ve really made up your mind?” He asks, and immediately she nods her head. “Alright,” He says as he digs his hand into his pocket and pulls out his wallet. He shuffles through a few of his cards before pulling out a gold, micro shipped card. “Here, it has two hundred and fifty something on it; enough to rent a room at the motel down the street, and to grab breakfast in the morning.”

 

“What?” She blabbers as he grabs her hand and places the card down. She gazes up at him from behind her bangs in mixed surprised. “Why are you doing this?”

 

He smiles at her, and once again he doesn’t look as happy as he’s trying to portray. “Do me a favor and call your mom; tell her what you’re doing. If you don’t, she may call the cops.” He stands up and like always, reaches down to pat the top of her head. “Tomorrow at school, give me the card back, okay?” All Min Young can do, besides gaping at him, is nod her head. “Good.” He pats her head once more, and with one last glance he leaves.

 

004

 

Min did as she was told. Once getting herself a room to stay in, she called her mother and informed her that she’d be home tomorrow, and that she has a nice place to stay in for the time being. When her mother began to apologize, Min hung up—knowing that if she was to hear it, she’d probably start crying. She texted Su Ji after that, telling the younger to bring the elder’s homework to school. Thankfully, the younger does as said.

 

“Here.” Su Ji hands her, her orange backpack as she gazes at the light bruise on her cheek. When Min tries to leave, Su Ji grabs her wrist and forces her to look at her. “Are you okay?” Min nods her head, visibly shocked at the way Su Ji sounded caring. The two of them haven’t been close after their father passed away, especially so when Min started dating Jackson. Su Ji went her way, and Min went the other. They made different friends, to which both hated. They did different things, joined different clubs, like different music, and treated people differently.

 

They aren’t the same girls who played dress up and pretended to marry their favorite stuffed animal while dreaming of meeting Hyun Bin. They aren’t the same girls who worry over each other constantly and cry when the other does. They aren’t the same girls who share the same taste, laugh at the same things, smile at the same shows, or talk to each other. They’re completely different; so for Su Ji to show she cares, is weird. “Yeah, I’m fine.”

 

Su Ji nods her head, and after a second of roaming her eyes over her older sister she mutters an, “Okay.”

 

Throughout the day, people stare at Min like she’s a celebrity. She could be sleeping in the middle of class, and all eyes are on her, wondering what she’s dreaming. Or, in their minds, what she’s plotting. Low and behold, the girl isn’t plotting anything—she’s merely catching up on the sleep she didn’t get the night before. There are times when people have the balls to go up to her and ask questions, she usually just ignores them and goes on with her business. She doesn’t tolerate idiots—especially immature ones like the ones that go to school with her.

 

Finally, after what feels like forever, Min makes her way to the rooftop to find Si Young sitting on the bench. His head is lying back with his eyes tightly closed, his hands are resting on his lap, and his feet are stretched out in front of him. She scoffs at the position, but nonetheless lets a smile come to her lips as she travels over to him and sits down. He doesn’t seem to notice her so she reaches over and pokes at his shoulder repeatedly. Finally, she notices a small smile form in the corner of his lips. “Come to bug me again?”

 

“I came to give you back your card.” She replies as she fishes the dark gold card out of her pocket to place it in the palm of his hand. He quickly shoves it away before opening his eyes and facing her, without having to resituate himself. Her eyebrows furrow as she watches him watch her. “Why are you staring at me?”

 

He shrugs his shoulders, “You have a nice face to look at.”

 

Min doesn’t blush, nor does she shy away, instead she bursts into laughter. “You too?” She manages to stutter out between laughter. She’s pretty sure she’s never been given a compliment like that before. She’s been called pretty, cute, and beautiful—but never has she been told that she has a nice face. Nor did she ever expect to get such a compliment.

 

“How are people treating you?” He asks as he points to the people playing around on the blacktop; most likely sophomores. He keeps his eyes trained on her, to watch as her smile falls off her face and merely just sits there with her hands folded in her lap—her lips in a thin line. He knows she’s trying to think of a reply, but he goes ahead and continues talking. “I guess; not so good.”

 

She shrugs her shoulders, “They all just stare.” All she wants, is for them to leave her alone. Maybe for someone to have the balls to befriend her; so she can enjoy her lunch in the cafeteria instead of having to go to the rooftop to hang out with some guy she still doesn’t understand. “I wish—I wish they would either ignore me or I don’t know…fear me?”

 

Si Young scoffs and shakes his head, “Who would be scared of you?” She frowns and rolls her eyes. She doesn’t know how or why they would fear her; but it would be a lot better than the way they treat her now. He reaches over, and pats her head, before standing up. “Come on, I have an idea.” She does as said; and allows for him to drag her out by holding onto her elbow. “One rule: don’t try and figure me out after this, understand?” He questions and pointedly looks at her; she only stares back at him confused.

 

What is going on inside his blonde head? Better yet, what’s going on inside her blonde head? What would actually make her befriend a weirdo like him? Not to mention she’s never met someone like him. For God sake’s he gave her a credit card so she didn’t have to sleep in the streets, and so that she could eat that night. He’s angel. A Saint. How could she not try and figure out someone like him? A weirdo-angel-saint like him.

 

“Okay?” She mumbles, and the blonde boy nods as he shoves his glasses further up his nose. “But, what’s going on?” She questions as he continues to pull her down the stairs before stopping straight at the bottom. She watches him: he takes a deep breath in, and then lets out an equally deep breath. “Are you okay?” She mumbles as he does the same thing again, and again, and again.

 

Then, suddenly, he looks up at her and smiles. “Let’s go.” He takes a hold of her hand and pulls her rather close—to the point that their shoulders are brushing each other, and theirs hands are trapped between their sides and hips. Like always, everyone stares—except this time, they’re not staring at her, they’re starring at him.

 

“Si Young, what’s going on?” She whispers to him.

 

He only shrugs his shoulders and keeps a rather calm expression on his face. Meanwhile, she begins to get worried. No matter where they walk, no matter where they look—people stare at them. Some look confused. Some look nervous. Others look shocked. But when she stops in front of Jackson, Jia, and Fei—they look terrified. The looks on their faces makes her reach up and tug on his school jacket; he doesn’t do anything except continue on.

 

Finally, they make it to the front of Min’s locker, and Si Young twists toward her. He doesn’t look at her, instead he looks behind her to see where everyone’s looking. It’s obviously at them. After a second, he looks back down at her and grins. “Everything should be fine now. Don’t cry anymore, okay? And talk to your mom—she probably feels bad.” Min’s eyebrows furrow at what he’s saying. It seems like he’s saying goodbye. “Be good.” For the first time ever, Si Young reaches down and presses his lips to the top of her head.

 

And just like that, Si Young is right once again.

 

005

 

Min goes to school the next day, and the first thing she is greeted with, is smiles. And then, at her locker, Fei appears—tapping her shoulder to get her attention. Everything happened rather quickly, and she can’t quite remember the whole of it. But, in a brief synopsis: Fei apologized for being a giant and leaving her best friend, they became friends again, Jia apologized for stealing her boyfriend and said that she regrets doing something rude to such a nice person. Jackson apologized for being an awful boyfriend. No one dared to glare at her, or even ask her about what happened the other day. She began to feel weird.

 

How did this happen? Why did they all suddenly change? What happened in a span of a day? Does it have to do with Si Young? Why? Why did people change because of him?

 

She tramples up the stairs to the roof, and stalks her way over to Si Young who’s sitting on the roof bench, reading his history book. As if he’s a good student; though it’s not like she would know. She doesn’t know anything about him—not actually. “What the hell is that?” She asks as she walks up to him and crosses her arms over her chest as she stands in front of him. He doesn’t look at her and only continues to read his book. Leaving her to stare at him with barely any patience. “Si Young! What’s going on?”

 

Finally, he folds the book in his lap and looks up at her. He stares at her, letting his eyes gaze around the features of her face, before he stands up and grabs her by the wrist. “Si Young?” She mutters as he begins to pull her towards the door. “What are you doing?” She asks as he pulls open the door and shoves her toward it. She gapes at him, and watches as he throws a hand through his fluffy hair before he looks at her with a dark and dangerous glare.

 

“Don’t come up here anymore.”

 

Min and Si Young didn’t talk after that. The way he looked at her was crazy. And as much as she wants to know what’s happen with the whole situation; she knows asking him, will get her nowhere. So, she does as he says, and stays in the cafeteria at lunch time; she’s friends once more, with people she knows will turn their back on her when they get the chance. But, all she truly wants, is to understand Si Young; and so, for the first time in her life, she’s going back on a promise. She’s going to figure out exactly who Si Young is.

 

006

 

Three weeks since the last time she saw Si Young was enough for Min to finally be fed up. Yes, her life is back to normal, but for some reason—she hates it. So, on a Monday night, she searches the web for a boy named Si Young who attends Seoul High—and she finds something she truly wasn’t expecting. “High School Student Stabs Best Friend”. Her eyes instantly widen at the title of the blog post. The blog being owned by one of the seniors at her high school. What the hell? What the hell is going on? She presses on the link which leads her to the post, and loses her breath at the information. There’s no way, what she read, is true.

 

091012: Hong Si Young (16), murdered his best friend Lim Sung Bin (16) last Tuesday. My dad’s a cop and he said that they were both high as ! Meth or some ! And like, Si Young stabbed Bin just for the hell of it. The dudes a murderer!

GUEST 11:10PM: The dude was always crazy.

GUEST 11:11PM: I remember someone saying that he tried to kill the teacher 2.

 

Min presses a hand over as she immediately exits out of the page. There’s no way, no way, that could possibly be true! Si Young, is a complete and utter angel who has done no wrong! Why the hell would he help her if he’s an insane murderer? No, there’s no way that’s true! With the little courage she has left she searches the name Lim Sung Bin on the internet, and after an hour and a half of going through random articles, she finally finds an address and scribbles it down on a piece of random yellow paper. She promises herself, that tomorrow she’ll skip school to visit this “Lim Sung Bin”.

 

The next day, she does as promised, she takes her mother’s car—without her permission—and drives out to some slum like area in the middle of Gangnam. She makes it in about a half an hour. She finds herself in front of a small brown building, with a falling down grey roof, and a crooked front door. The slums of South Korea, aren’t that bad. People are rather friendly, especially if you aren’t dressed like you’re rich. The rule is, if you don’t mess with them, they won’t mess with you. With a deep intake of breath, she makes her way out of the car, and to the front door of the house. After two knocks, a young man with a buzz cut hairstyle, and dark brown eyes answers. He wears a Korea University sweatshirt, dark jeans, and brown converses.

 

“Can I help you?” He asks after a second of starring at her.

 

Min nods, “Are you, perhaps, Lim Sung Bin?” The boy nods his head as he squints his eyes at the girl. He looks as if he’s trying to figure out who she is. Min lets out a deep breath—at least, now she knows Si Young isn’t a murder. If, this Sung Bin is the Sung Bin who knows Si Young. “My name is Lee Min Young. I go to Seoul high school, and I would like to ask you a few questions about a boy you may know—Hong Si Young.” Almost like it’s second nature, a bright smile finds its way to Sung Bin’s face. Min notes that he probably smiles a lot or, at least, use to.

 

“Sure, would you like to come in?” He asks as he moves out of the way to gesture her inside.

 

Min nods, “Thank you.” Needless to say, Sung Bin’s home isn’t the nicest or prettiest—but it’s quaint, and pleasant. She takes a seat in a plush beige chair, with him in a similar one adjacent from her. He continues to smile, as if he thinks she’s the greatest thing since sliced bread.

 

“What would you like to know?” He asks as he grabs a bottle of water off his Chesnutt table and takes a swig from it. She watches him as he slowly downs a good amount of it. He doesn’t seem like he got hurt that badly—or a type of kid that was addicted to drugs. Besides the slum that he lives in, the guy isn’t that bad.

 

She smiles at him, “D-did Si Young stab you?”

 

Sung Bin bursts into laughter at her bluntness. “Way to get to the point.” He comments as he tries to stifle his laughter—though it’s rather hard when she just sits there with a serious expression. When he finally calms himself down, he looks toward her with a smile. “You see that?” He points toward a glass bowl sitting on a different Chesnutt table. Inside of it, are a bunch of red, oval, plastic chips. “I’ve been addiction free for almost two years. And it’s thanks to that ,” He flicks his finger to a picture sitting near the bowl. In it are two smiling boys with the taller brunette—Sung Bin—holding the smaller blonde—Si Young—under his armpit and applying his knuckles to the top of his head. “He did stab me; but not on purpose.”

 

“What does that mean?” She asks with furrowed brows.

 

Sung Bin lets out a deep breath, “We were sophomores at the time, and I was addicted to meth. It’s not something I’m proud to say—I was really ed up; you know?” He pauses to let out a chuckle as he wipes a hand over his mouth. “Si Young is the only person that ever cared for me, my parents were drug addicts who would sell their soul to the devil just to get a little extra cash to buy . And one day, I became just like them; despite Si Young always telling me to quit.” He clicks his tongue and with a sigh runs a hand through his hair. “We were on the school roof, and he was chillin’ on our bench like usual; and I just—I don’t know. I was high as ; I just snapped, I guess. I pulled this knife out of my pocket and threatened him with it.”

 

“How so?” She asks as she tilts her head to the side in deep thought.

 

Sung Bin bites his lip, “I threatened to kill myself, for no reason. It’s not like I wanted to kill myself or anything, but I was just high. And, being the hero Si Young always has to be, he tried to grab the knife out of my hand. But got messy and we tumbled to the floor and the knife wound up stabbing me in the lower abdomen.” He pulls up his shirt to show her a small brownish scar, just above his belt line. “It wasn’t his fault.” Min nods, and sits there with her hands on her knees as she tries to think everything through.

 

Those stupid high schoolers did it again. They made up rumors about him, and now everyone is scared of him for no reason. He did nothing wrong but try and save his best friend—who was crazy on drugs. What happened to her, happened to him. That’s why he helped. That’s why he cared. And that’s why he didn’t want her to try and understand him. He didn’t want her to assume just like everyone else. “So, what’s your connection to Si Young?”

 

“He helped me.” She replies in a soft tone.

 

Sung Bin smiles again as he nods his head, “Yeah, that is always trying to help people. He’s got like, a ing hero complex or some .” Min smiles at him. She may not really like his way of speaking, she doesn’t enjoy people cussing, but she likes him besides that. He seems friendly, and a bit misunderstood—nonetheless a pretty nice guy. “Has he mentioned me?” He asks suddenly, his voice lowering in tone.

 

Min bites her lip and shakes her head, “No. Are you two not friends anymore?”

 

Sung Bin lets out a sigh, “He stopped talking to me after that day. Just, cut me out of his life. He won’t answer my calls, and when I go to his house his parents lie and say he’s not there.” He lets out a huff and runs his hand back through his hair once again. “He’s such an .” He snaps his eyes back up toward her and leans forward. “Can you tell him something for me?” Min immediately nods; it’s the least she can do. “Tell him that I miss him, and that I wish he’ll answer one of my calls—even if it’s to tell me to stop calling.”

 

007

 

Min, a day after talking to Sung Bin, walks up the stairs to the roof. It’s been three weeks, and now the stairs feel strange to her. It was such a habit to walk up the stairs every day for lunch, to sit with a guy who would only read and listen to whatever she had to say. Sometimes he’d stare at her, other times he’d make quick conversation—but for the most part, he just listened. He likes to listen; she knows that, now. And when she finds him sleeping on the bench, she lets out a slight giggle—because that’s how she used to always find him. Sleeping with his legs out in front of him, and his head tilt backward. “Si Young,” She calls in a light tone as she kicks the edge of his shoe.

 

He wakes up at the sudden contact, and when his eyes collide with hers—he frowns. “What are you doing here? Go away.” He states as he straightens himself and stands to grab her wrist. She dodges him and steps a good distance away from him. “Min Young!” He sneers in a rather low voice as he tries to reach her again. She only laughs and dodges him once again. “Min!” Finally, he grabs a hold of her and pulls her to his chest with a sigh. She merely laughs and pushes herself away from him and looks up at him.

 

“Sung Bin wants me to tell you that he misses you and wishes for you to answer once of his calls.” She whispers as he watches him suddenly slump and drop her hands from his. She watches as his face contorts into an emotion she can’t recognize. Hate? Sadness? Anger? She’s not sure. Whatever it is, it’s rather haunting. “He told me everything; if you thought that I would misunderstood, then you don’t know me at all.”

 

He lets out a dry laugh as he nods his head, “Yeah, I know.”

 

“Thank you, Si Young. Even if you only helped me because you felt obligated, thank you. You’re a good guy, and if you feel guilty—because I’m sure you do—for what happened to Sung Bin, don’t. He blames himself and not you—and all he wants, is to hear from you. He misses you; you’re all he had—has. Please, for both of your sakes, contact him.” Min, for the first and what they both think is the last time, reaches up and presses her lips against his. It was quick and not very romantic—it’s like a kiss between friends who don’t know how they feel about each other. But once it was over, it was over. She leaves soon after, and all he can do, is stare after her as he fishes his phone out of his pocket.

 

“Bin, it’s me—I’m sorry.”

 

Min didn’t know it then, but what she had said stayed in Si Young’s mind for a long time. They both knew that Si Young helped Min; but Min, she saved Si Young and in the process she saved Sung Bin. The two boys never truly had ‘parents’. Sung Bin’s parents were drug addicts, and Si Young’s parents were neglectful; thus leaving the two to usually be on their own. The year and half they were separated, was like hell. They were like brothers, and the incident tore them both apart. And neither of them knew, that a curious blonde girl with a bullying problem, would help bring them back together.

 

Nor did Min believe that a lost boy who had nothing but guilt, would help her readjust into her school. A school full of people she doesn’t trust, but nonetheless—were all she had. The two saw each other in the halls once in a while, and sometimes they would wave and say 'hi'. Most of the time, they didn’t do anything but continue with their life. It wasn’t until, the day before senior graduation, that the two had another serious interaction.

 

“Where are you going?” Fei asks Min who shuts her locker and slings her backpack over her shoulder. Min only smiles and shrugs her shoulder.

 

“To see an old friend.” Fei stares after the blonde girl who runs down the hallway with a bright smile on her face. A smile, that she hadn’t seen in a long time. Min makes her way up the stairs, and like the last time it feels rather odd. She opens the door as silently as possible only to be greeted by a blonde boy who almost tramples over her. Thankfully, she grabs a hold of the string of his backpack, keeping him in place instead of having him fall over. “Si Young?” She asks, and after a minute of trying to compose himself he snaps his gaze up toward her.

 

Immediately a smile flashes onto his lips, “Min, I was just heading to see you.” She laughs.

 

“Is that why you almost knocked me over?” A light pink tint finds its way to his cheeks as he uses a hand to scratch the back of his neck before letting it spread through his hair. “I came to wish you good luck; you’ve graduated.”

 

Si Young smiles, “Thank you. I was going to wish you good luck for your senior year.” He takes a step backward, allowing for her to take a step onto the roof, and allowing for the door to close behind her. “This time around you won’t have me to save you if something goes wrong.” Min, unable to contain her feelings, wraps her arms around his torso and staggers into his chest for a hug. “What, are you going to miss me?” He teases with a laugh.

 

Min nods her head, and can almost feel the tears in her eyes. “Of course, you’re the only person that ever believed me.” Si Young laments as he rubs his hands against her back and pulls her closer to him. “Si Young, I want you to know something.” She mumbles against his chest as he continues to rake his hands up and down like it’s second nature.

 

“What is it?” He asks.

 

Min, not nervous or scared, just completely natural says, “I love you.” Si Young doesn’t seem to be surprised by what she says since he doesn’t even stop running his hands down her back. Instead he just laughs and nods his head; almost as if he was expecting it.

 

“I love you too.”

 

[AN]: I’ve finally completed this one-shot! I’m sorry for taking too long, but this one-shot means a lot to me. Bullying was such a huge problem in my best friend’s life, to the point that she became so depressed she couldn’t get out of bed in the morning. It was the scariest thing to witness. And, I don’t know, it was my inspiration for writing this. To show that even the most minuscule issue, could result in hurting someone. I hope you all enjoyed!! Thank you for reading!!^^