Memories

Christmas Eve

"Forever Is Just The Beginning"

What you had dreaded for a long time has passed you by with little notice, and now it's nothing but a painful memory that you'll be looking back at from time to time.

The peppermint and pine candle wicks were burning away as their fragrances filled the whole house and not a single soul except yourself was present. Nothing but the sound of the candles flickering and a sparse amount of cars driving by.
 
Taking a sip of your hot cocoa, you enjoy the sweet taste and the atmosphere, but it was hard to ignore the fact that you couldn't share this moment with your loved one. You stand up from the small dining table and take a walk down memory lane, or in your case, the living room and hallway filled with pictures.
 
The first picture you encounter is a picture of you and a man making funny faces at the camera. The black wooden frame that embraced the picture was the first gift you received from your loved one. You remember his words like as if it was yesterday:
 
-
 
"Here. A photo frame."
 
You study the frame and can't help but wonder if he got you this with meaningful intentions or because he had no money and was playing a joke on you. The both of you are sitting on a bench at the top of a hill, on a warm night after your surprise dinner he presented you. You are overlooking the sea and couldn't be happier, but the gift was so unexpected.
 
"Ah, thanks, babe. But–"
 
"Memories."
 
"Eh.. What?"
 
"This will be a great memory, don't you think? Looking back at our first date together, which happens to also be your birthday. It's a great memory."
 
You can't help but smile because although he wasn't very expressive with his feelings, he was trying to give you the best birthday experience ever. For almost a year now, he was always trying to get your attention but every time he tried, you would look the other way. Honestly, if it wasn't for your guys' mutual friend, Jackson's encouraging words to you, you probably wouldn't have given your lover a chance.
 
A smile arises on your lips. You have the urge to hug him but you sense that he has more to say.
 
"That's why I got you this." He looks down at the frame in your hands and traces around the sides, accidentally touching a spot on your thumb. You blush at the sudden, yet soft touch and can't even make eye contact with him. Sensing how nervous and quiet you got, he chuckles and leans back in his seat.
 
You silently exhale and hope he doesn't say anything more embarrassing because you know you were the reason why the cute moment was ruined. Darn... You think to yourself.
 
He clears his throat and attempts at a joke, "There's no need to get nervous around me. I know I'm awesome and all, but you knew that already." You scoff at his words and pay him back with a nudge to his arm. His chuckles were like music to your ears and you can't help but let out a few giggles yourself.
 
"Baby, Happy Birthday." His words made you feel warm inside and you couldn't help but wonder what you did in your past life to deserve such blessings in your life. 
He slides his hands under yours as you both caress the frame in your hands, not even realizing how many of these frames he was going to get you in the future.
 
-
 
You snap out of your daydream and take a look around the desolate living room. The room was filled with picture frames of every style, size, and color. You can recall almost every, if not all, the events when you received each frame. And you can remember every moment that each frame contained.
 
You move on to a white, thick frame that has floral wooden-carvings along the corners, accented with a little pastel pink coloring. It's a picture of you and him smiling in the sun at the beach.
 
He's always loved the beach and you wanted to take him there for his birthday. Unfortunately, he got stung by a jellyfish and you both had to stay in the hotel room for most of the trip, but he loved the fact that you guys were able to stay in together to watch movies while you took care of him.
 
"Such a loser. I told him not to follow the pink blob in the water," you say, as you giggle to yourself. You take another sip of your hot cocoa and realize it's almost done, so you gulp down the rest and lay the mug on the coffee table.
 
You are alone and all you can hear are the candles flickering as they resume to burn, with little cars passing by. You glance at the clock and notice it's almost 10 at night. Christmas Eve is near, but you have to spend it alone with his family this year. It brings you to soft sobs, knowing you can't be with your significant other this year. It's the first time and you want to break down as you feel your heart clenching inside. It doesn't feel right without his presence in the house but you knew it was going to come sooner or later.
 
A chime from your phone alerts you that a text came in and you wipe your tears as you absentmindedly try to take out your phone from your pocket.
 
"See you soon, sweetie ♡ give us about 15 min" was what your mother-in-law texted, and it immediately woke up your senses. You aren't done decorating the table or finished getting ready, so you rush to do it whatever is left to do.
 
You place mats and plates for four– for you, your parent in laws, and his sister. You're about to place another one for the empty seat next to you, but you realize there's no point. You can't get emotional right now and you know it. But instead of the plate, you place the mat down and it gives you hope and happiness instantly. You put the food in their places and run upstairs to change.
 
You throw on the sweater he last bought you which had a cute unicorn on the front. You brush out any tangles in your hair and you touch up on your makeup. Time felt like it wasn't on your side because in an instant, the doorbell rings indicating that they are here.
 
You double check on your appearance and run downstairs to answer the door to a smiling mother, father, and sister. Hugs and kisses fly around the room and you no longer feel alone. Your in-laws are here and they're a piece of him that you'll never let go, so you hold them dear to you and never want to let go.
 
"Penny dear, you've gotten so beautiful! You've always shined but you are just so gorgeous!" Your mother-in-law compliments with a cheeky grin.
 
"Thank you, mum. But no one can ever be as beautiful as you!"
 
"Hey! I can hear you!" Jaelee, his younger sister of five years, says, clearly not liking what you said.
 
"Of course, Jaelee is an exception though. She's growing into a beautiful, young lady!" You say, hoping you get praise from Jaelee.
 
"Now that's what I like to hear," she says with a smile and you can't help but laugh as her remark. Him and his sister are so alike, it's adorable, despite their five-year gap.
 
"Jaelee, we just got here. Please control yourself and don't make your sister-in-law want to kick us out," you hear his father– your father, say. 
 
"It's fine pa, I love Jaelee and her humor."
 
"I know, I do too. But sometimes you just want to shut her up," he smirks and jokes at Jaelee.
 
"Daddy! How could you!" Jaelee scoffs and laughs at her father.
 
You guys give small laughs to each other and head into the next room where the dining room is nicely set and decorated.
 
"Before we forget, he's a gift for you, Sweetie," your Mum holds out a nicely wrapped box with a pink ribbon tied on top. You look at it and silently cheer internally because of the thought that they got you something. 
 
"Thank you! I'll give your guys' after dinner and open this after as well!"
 
"Open it now honey! Hurry, before the food gets cold! HE wanted you to open this as soon as possible," Pa said.
 
With that in mind, you don't want to argue with them or with his instructions, so you go ahead and tear it open. You haven't received a gift from him for months now and you haven't seen him in so long... Only through pictures and old videos.
 
"He really wanted us to give this to you if there was ever a day he had to leave suddenly..." Mum says, now placing her hand on your back for support.
 
You smile at the new addition to your room of frames and even tear a little. Inside is a Polaroid picture of him smiling, doing the peace sign. His eyes shaped as crescents, with his red hair styled up, in the jacket you bought him last Christmas. This was how he looked the last you've seen him in person and it brought you to tears even more. You miss him even more and you know you can't see him, it's killing you so much inside. In his handwriting, an "I love you" is written on the bottom. It's hitting you so hard and your family begin to tear too.
 
"Mum, the other thing he left behind! It's in the car still!" Jaelee croaks.
 
"Oh yes, we need to give that to her."
 
"I'll get it since it's too cold out for you guys. I'll be right back," you hear Pa say and you continue to tear over the cute Polaroid of your hubby.
 
Moments later, your hear the door open once again and you know Pa is back. Still immersed in the picture, you don't even realize that another gift is being held out to you. This time, it's a box that is wrapped in newspaper. You're confused and you wonder what it may be.
 
You look at his family but suddenly you can't breathe.
 
You want to faint.
 
You're dreaming.
 
You think you are.
 
But it's real.
 
It can't be a dream, can it?
 
You see him standing in front of you, smiling with his crescent-shaped eyes and perfect smile. Wrapped in a coat and a scarf you bought him years ago. You take in his scent and his warmth, and you know it's real. Jumping out of your seat, you hug him as tight as you can and you guys are embraced in an intimate hug and remain there for a while.
 
 "You're home!" You manage to say through your sobs.
 
"I'm home," he says against your neck and you cry at the warmth of his breath. He's here and he's with you. You guys are together and that's all you care about.
 
"I asked my manager if he could give me a couple of days off. I even begged for at least a day so I could see you and the family. With all the preparations for our new album for the new year, we all got drowned in stuff we had to get done. But he wanted us to have a break, so he let me and the guys return home to spend it with the family," he explains then smiles. "What a happy surprise, huh?"
 
You want to smile back but you're so shocked and happy, it brings out more tears of joy and relief. He's home.
 
"Babe, open your gift," he tells you and you don't have to think twice. You unwrap it carefully, despite it being wrapped in a newspaper.
 
Inside is a silver-plated framed, laced with engravings of your names. Jaebum and Penny, Forever Is Just The Beginning.
 
It's so perfect, you cry in his arms and he buries you into his arms as his family smiles and cries at the beautiful reunion of husband and wife. "You're the best gift that I could ever receive. I love you," he whispers and just like that, you're not alone anymore.
 
You come to realization that you never were. He always has a way to tell you how much he loves you.
 
And this gift was the best one ever.
 
For the rest of the night, you take in your family's presence and couldn't have felt more blessed. 
 
You have him by your side. And he has you.
 
Forever.