Take Care

Take Care
*4 Years Ago* 
 
"Hey I got to talk to you," Donghae whispered while tugging at Nari's arm.
 
She nodded her head and allowed him to drag her into an empty classroom. He let go of her arm before making his way back to the door, peeking out and glancing to see if anybody was coming. After he saw that nobody was coming, Donghae slid the door closed and clicked it lock.

When he tuned back around, Nari could tell he was nervous. Donghae was fidgeting with his fingers while sticking his tongue out ot moisten his (what she guessed) dry lips.

She knew her boyfriend so well

"I'm leaving tomorrow and I'm really sorry," Donghae rushed in one breath.

Maybe too well.

Nari just stared at the boy that was in front of her. As the information sunk in, was agape and her eyes not blinking at the realization.

Donghae was leaving her.

Why?

Now sensing that his girlfriend understood what he said he began shuffling his feet. Donghae titled his head down, bangs covering his face, thinking that his shoes were way more interesting at the moment.

Once she caught the sight of Donghae shuffling his feet she immediately thought of the worst thing possible. She opened and closed , wanting something to come out it. After a few moments of silence, Nari blurted out, "Why?"

And once Nari said that one word, she could feel the formation of tears building up which she hasn't felt in a long time.

Donghae noticed Nari's sudden silence after that one word and slowly lifted his head. When his eyes landed on the girl in front of him, he felt like the most horrible person ever. Because as soon as Donghae saw Nari, he saw the tears that were threatening to fall on her flushed cheeks.

He immediately rushed over to her, just in time to catch the single fallen tear with the pad of his thumb. Donghae gently held Nari's head in his hands, leaning forwards to press their foreheads together. "I am leaving tomorrow, but that doesn't mean I won't still love you," he said in a hushed tone.

Nari lifted her head, but not from his grasp, just enough to stare into Donghae's brown orbs.

She was going to miss them.

"So we are still together? You're not breaking up with me?" Nari asked with a little hope.

Donghae answered that with a lowering of his head, making Nari blind to what was actually happening behind his bangs. He tried to will his own tears away, not wanting Nari to remember his tear stained face.

Because in all reality, he was leaving that night.

Donghae forced the tears back, and once he made sure he wasn't going to cry he pulled on the most indifferent face he could muster and lifted his head upwards to gaze at his girlfriend.

"Actually no to both those questions," Nari couldn't believe what she was hearing.

"I am breaking up with you," Donghae said.

The sound of Nari's heart shattering could be heard loud and clear.

"W-what d-do you m-mean breaking up with me?" Nari stuttered. "You just said that you loved me!" She shouted, pushing away the male's hands.

Donghae just let his hands fall back to his side, fighting the urge to fidget and comfort and reassure Nari at the same time. But he couldn't do that. He doesn't even know if he will return or not so he might as well have her hate him and move on than be depressed while still loving him.

Donghae wants what's best for her and for her to be eternally happy.

"That's true but that doesn't mean I won't find someone better than you when I leave this place," Donghae explained with not a single hint of jokingness.

Nari just stood there, paralyzed. She didn't even move when Donghae left the room with a single "Take care Nari," thrown over his shoulder.

After a while, her body couldn't take it anymore and she collapsed on the floor because of her legs giving out. Nari scooted herself towards the closest wall, leaned against it, and pulled her legs up so that she could bury her face between them. As soon as she did that, the endless stream of tears was finally set free.

She doesn't know how long she was in there but she did know that she had been bawling her eyes out for hours now.

During her crying session, she fell into a deep sleep filled with nightmares. Nari woke up with a start. Lingering images of her final nightmare plagued her mind as she glances out the window. The sun was just hitting the horizon, basking the sky in warm hues of red.

Nari began to move but couldn't because something was restricting her. When she looked down she saw a pair of pale arms s around her torso and she instantly knew who it was.

Junhong was fast asleep with his head resting on Nari's spread out legs and arms around her waist. She smiled softly at the adorable sight presented in front of her. Junhong has been Nari's best friend ever since they could both remember. He was even the person who introduced Nari to Donghae 3 years ago because both guys were in the same dance class.

The mention of Donghae brought back memories of earlier that day and all the emotions with it that she thought she cried out already. Holding a hand to , she wanted to muffle her sobs. And she succeeded, however her tears ran down her face and before she could brush them off herself, a single tear landed on Junhong's cheek, making him wake up in a heart beat.

He slowly sat up, keeping his arms wrapped snuggly around Nari and just let her cry it out as he rested his head atop hers.

During the crying session Junhong remembers Donghae's words as Junhong was looking for Nari because of class starting.

"I leave her in your care now Junhong-ah. Don't let her be sad anymore," after those two sentences Donghae disappeared leaving a confused yet worried Junhong searching for Nari in the empty classrooms.

He finally found her, but he didn't want to disturb her. So he waited patiently outside the empty classroom, heart breaking every time a new wave of sobs escaped her. Yet, he didn't want to do anything because she needed time for herself. She needed time to deal with it herself and after that time was up he will go comfort her like he always had and he always will.

​*Present Day*

"Yah hurry up Junhonggie! We're gonna be late!" Nari whined as she pulled a very stubborn Junhong towards the long awaiting line.

 

"But I don't want to Nari! I want to go to the skate park. That's pretty much the reason for bringing THESE," he said while indicating both of their skateboards.

 

"Well you know what, I'm sorry that my favorite author published a new book and was having a signing event," she said sarcastically, letting Junhong go, putting down her skateboard and rode off to the event without Junhong not sparing him a single glance.

 

Junhong couldn't believe his girlfriend. Yeah that's right GIRLFRIEND. They finally got together after a year Donghae left and Nari was moving on with her life. A little something happened where they both fell and (wanting to protect Nari) Junhong ended up under Nari. Whom had fallen on top of the boy resulting in her lips connecting to Junhong's. They both awkwardly avoided the topic but it was Nari that wanted them to start dating even though Junhong wanted that forever ago.

 

Realizing that he was getting left far behind, Junhong hopped onto his skateboard and rode after Nari. Once he caught up to her, he took her hand into his and intertwined there fingers together. He stole a glance at Nari and there was a light pink blush that swept across her face when she was caught looking at Junhong. He gave her a gentle smile and led her to the bookstore.

 

When they were about to arrive, they slowed down but didn't let each others hands go. Instead they both picked up their boards with their free hands and stood in line to wait for Nari to get a signed copy of the new book.

 

Junhong couldn't be more bored, but he had Nari to distract him with her cute babbling about the author's other books and anything else that popped into her mind.

 

They finally reached the table where the author gave Nari a signed book and also a wink gesturing for Nari to open the book. Once she did, her face blushed a deep red. Junhong instantly wrapped his arm around her shoulder and steered both of them towards the direction of the skate park, but not before sending a glare to the author.

 

"What does it say Nari?" Junhong asked, voice laced with slight jealousy. Nari gave him a look before sighing and handing the book over so that her boyfriend could read it himself.

 

"To the Skateboard Beauty, enjoy my newest book and contact me sometime 😘" Junhong read aloud. When he turned to look at Nari she had her hands covering her face.

 

Before he could say anything, she whined, "Why did he write that? Couldn't he see that I was obviously with you? Ugh this is so embarrassing," she rushed out, ending with her hands over her face again.

 

Junhong couldn't be more ecstatic because of his girlfriend's reaction. He thought that she actually liked the guy's failed flirting attempt, but it seems like it was just a burden to her. So with a light heart he took hold of her hand once again and led them towards the skate park.

 

They spent hours messing around with fellow skaters, learning new tricks and teaching some. By the time they all called it quits, the sun wasn't just set yet but it was close.

 

The walk to Nari's home was filled with laughter but also comfortable silence with them just holding hands squeezing the other's once in a while.

 

When they finally reached Nari's home and Nari was about to go inside, Junhong pouted while holding her hand tightly. She got the message he was trying to tell and slightly stood on her tiptoes to place a lingering kiss on Junhong's lips.

Albeit the small action, when Nari pulled away she could tell that it somewhat satisfied her boyfriend. She turned around and headed towards her house.

Making sure that she made it inside and that she locked the door, Junhong his heel and headed down the street towards his house.

As he was riding down the, kind of, lit sidewalk he passed a hooded figure that made him halt immediately and do a double take. The person had a similar build to that guy who disappeared 4 years ago. But not being able to see his face, because of the hood the other guy was wearing, Junhong just shrugged it off and continued on his way.

Meanwhile, a man dressed in a loose jacket and had his hood up, shielding his face from anybody that choose to turn their heads in his direction. The male continued on his way wanting to get back before anybody he knew (or used to know) saw him, even though it was nighttime. When he saw another figure approaching him, he lowered his hood further to cover his face. As soon as he heard the sound of wheels pass him, the male sped up his walk because he was pretty certain who the person that just by him was.

The male decreased his speed enough to come to a slow walk as he passed his first love's home. He stood there for a moment as he recalled their last encounter and how badly it hurt the both of them.

He let out a deep sigh, reflecting on his past actions. He regretted how he handled the situation before he left but what's done is done. He can't change the past but he can create a better future. With that in mind he spared his love's house a final glance before going back to the house he was currently staying at.

The next morning, Junhong was at Nari's house bright and early so that the both of them could walk to university together. She was still in her pajamas and had terrible bed hair that stuck up in all directions, but nonetheless Junhong thought it was an adorable sight to see. He just took her hand, closed the door, and led her to room.

Junhong picked out her clothing and headed to the bathroom to ready the shower. By the time he was done with all of it, Nari managed to slip into her robe half asleep and placed a thank you kiss on her boyfriend's cheek.

Junhong left Nari to shower and decided to start making breakfast. Just as he was setting the table for them to eat, he heard the doorbell ring.

"I GOT IT!" yelled Nari. Junhong just smiled and continued to set the table, but he suddenly stopped what he was doing when he heard the door slam shut. Now rushing to Nari he saw that she was standing frozen in the hallway with her hand tightly holding onto the doorknob.

"What's wrong Nari?" Junhong asked placing his hands on her shoulders. When she didn't answer him, he tried again. "Nari, who's at the door?

"Him," she whispered barely audible but Junhong heard it. He took his hands off of Nari's shoulders and went to take her hand off the doorknob, replacing it with his.

He held her hand and was turning the handle while asking, "Him? Who's th-" he stopped mid-question because the sight in front of him was too unbelievable.

"Hey Junhong, long time no see," as soon as those words left Donghae's mouth, Junhong's first reaction was to punch him in the face...

...So he did.

Donghae stumbled backwards, clutching his left cheek. "Nice to see you too," he said as looked back at Junhong, a smug smile lacing his lips.

"You have no right to be here Donghae," Junhong seethed. Donghae ignored him and looked passed him to catch a glimpse of Nari. Junhong noticed this and stepped in front of her, closing the door just a little bit more. "Go away Donghae before I call the cops on you for trespassing."

The other male scoffed. "Oh will you now? And is that anyway to speak to your HYUNG. Also I have no restraining order filed against me."

"That doesn't mean I still can't call the police," Junhong retorted. "And you lost all the respect to call you hyung when you just left."

The two males went on bickering and Junhong was just about to punch Donghae and Donghae was ready for it, but the sound of a whimper caught both males off guard and they stopped what they were doing immediately. Junhong, turning to look at Nari, could feel his heart shattering like it did before 4 years ago. Staring at Nari, Junhong saw that she was still paralyzed in place, however she had tears welling up in her eyes and one single tear slipped and cascaded down her cheek.

Both males watched that single tear until it was soon followed by more tears. Her boyfriend was lifting his hand up to dry the tears away, but another pair of hands beat him to it.

Standing beside Junhong was Donghae, drying Nari's tears himself. Junhong felt sadness, anger, and jealousy rain down on him. To make it all worse he could hear the other male whisper sweet nothings into her ear trying make her calm down. But the thing was...

She didn't.

Nari didn't stop sobbing and that only pained Donghae to the maximum. He didn't know what to do anymore because when they were together back then, all the things he was doing now worked in calming the past Nari. However, in this moment,  he didn't know what to do, so he just continued to whisper into her ears.

Junhong, wanting to stop this, gently (in a "Get the hell outta here" kind of way) shoved Donghae to the side and took Nari by the shoulders, pulling her to his chest. He lifted his right hand to pat her head in a soothing manner while his other hand rested on her hip, kind of swaying her in a way. Junhong didn't say anything because he didn't say anything then when she was last like this so he wasn't going to say anything now.

In just a few moments Nari's sobs were quieted and she slumped against Junhong, falling asleep because of the sudden rush of emotions.

Donghae having notice this didn't say anything, but just stared in disbelief at what he just saw. He couldn't believe that Junhong calmed down his  one and only love and even SHOVED him out of the way. Junhong didn't have the right to do so, because Donghae knew that Nari belonged to him and only him. He decided that Junhong should know so he spoke his mind to the younger.

It was Junhong's turn to scoff, "Like I said before just go away. You made sure she was heart broken when you left..." Donghae was about to interrupt, but Junhong continued. "You made me pick up the broken pieces and now that I put her back together and she is finally my GIRLFRIEND, I am not just going to let you back into her life so easily. So just go away." Junhong turned Nari a bit before bending his knees slightly and lifting her up bridal style to carry her back into her house. He shut the door with his foot and locked it carefully with Nari still in his arms.

Carrying her over to the couch, he gently placed her on it with her head resting on the armrest with a pillow under it. Junhong sat on the coffee table that was directly in front on the couch to watch over Nari. He went to grab Nari's hand to hold onto it when he heard his phone ring. Getting up to check who was calling him, he let out a sigh of relief when saw it was just Jongup.

Jongup just called asking if Nari and him were coming to morning classes and Junhong declined telling him that something happened and asked if he could take notes for them. Jongup wholeheartedly agreed and told Junhong to tell Nari to get better. Junhong didn't know how Jongup knew it was about Nari, but he didn't question it because he was just grateful. Saying goodbye to Jongup, Junhong hung up and went back to Nari, who was surprisingly sitting up and staring blankly at nothing.

"Hey Nari are you ok? You kinda just fainted out there," Junhong asked his voiced laced with concern.

She gave him a weak smile, "Yeah babe, I'm fine. It was just all the emotions from that day coming back to me and I guess I couldn't handle it."

Before Junhong could respond, his girlfriend silently held her arms out and knowing his girlfriend, she wanted him to comfort her.

And that's exactly what he did.

Junhong went over to her and enveloped her in a giant hug, tightening his arms so that she felt protected, which she very much felt.

They kept in that position until both of them fell asleep in each other's arms. It wasn't until the sun  was set and that the moonlight shone through the blinds that the couple decided to head to Nari's room and sleep.

When Junhong left Donghae standing outside Nari's door, he was left speechless. He had to slowly process the information, that meant putting the pieces together one-by-one. (1) Donghae HAD said to take care of Nari to Junhong (2) they both knew each other way before Donghae met either of them and (3) Donghae knew that Junhong liked Nari before but it just so happened that Nari liked Donghae first. Which all means OF COURSE THEY WOULD BE DATING! 😲

Donghae physically facepalmed because of not noticing any sooner, but hey he didn't know Junhong would have the guts to confess and now that he knows they're together... Well that's just it.

What happens now?

Donghae knew he doesn't have the heart to break the two up because he wished Nari eternal happiness and now that she had Junhong, who was beside her the entire time, Donghae thinks that Junhong will continue to make Nari happy.

With that in mind he turned around and walked towards the home he was currently staying at. While walking down the street and was about to cross, Donghae felt a force collide with him making him fall backwards on his .

"Oh my gosh! Are you okay? I didn't hurt you too badly, right? Gosh I am such a klutz," rushed out the handsome stranger.

Wait what? Handsome?

The stranger held out his hand, offering Donghae to take it so that the stranger could pull him up. When Donghae was on his feet again, he noticed that they're hands were still laced together and that made his heart skip a beat.

Blushing a bit, Donghae let go of the stranger's hand, "Thank you umm...."

"Oh how rude if me. My name is Hyukjae, but you can call me anytime," Donghae blushed a darker pink at the blunt pick up line.

Not meeting the handsome stranger's eyes Donghae replied, "I'm Donghae."

"Cute"

"What?" Donghae asked startled.

Hyukjae just chuckled at the adorable guy in front of him. "Hmm nothing. Hope to see you around Donghae," with a wink, Hyukjae continued down the street.

Donghae just stared after him and questioned, "What the hell just happened?" While feeling the heat in his cheeks start to disappear.

After that day, Donghae rarely visited Nari and Junhong and when he did he usually had Hyukjae following close behind. Hyukjae and Donghae surprisingly saw each other a lot after their first encounter because it seemed like their mothers knew one another and were quite close. So of course Donghae and Hyukjae saw each other. And because they saw each other they grew closer and Donghae naturally drifted away from Nari in the romantic sense.

But he was still her friend.

Junhong and Nari after that day were as close and adorably cute as they were before.

Now the only thing that remains is what happens next?