Chapter 7

The Goddess and Her Dragon

 

Chaerin quietly knocked on Jiyong’s door. After a few seconds not getting any answer, she entered the office suspiciously, but finally she can breathe a sigh of relief as this time she didn’t find her boss sleeping.

 

Jiyong sat in his office chair; he was receiving a phone call. No need to guess whom he was talking to; Chaerin has already known it. She has worked with Jiyong long enough to memorize his moves, his habits, everything.

 

"Yes. Hmm... I understand. Yes, yes, I know. Hmm..."

 

With whom else would Jiyong answer the phone with such little interest if it’s not his own fiancée?

 

And the last words which Jina said on the phone must have been 'Love you', because Jiyong was silent for a moment and immediately hung up.

 

What Chaerin knew, she never heard those two words out of his boss's mouth, at least not in front of her. But if she recalled again how Jiyong behaved when he was with Jina, she couldn’t imagine it at all. In Chaerin’s view, they looked more like a pair of an idol (Jiyong) who must accompany his fan who he didn’t really like (Jina) than a pair of loving fiancée. Can’t that Jina girl see it? That there’s no shred of love in the eyes of Jiyong every time she was with him? That Jiyong was just there for her because of the old covenant of their parents?

 

Well, like hell Chaerin will care, she just pitied Jina. She knew their engagement has been planned since they were small. Lucky for Jina, she fell in love with her own fiancée. Unluckily, Jiyong never shared the same feelings with her.

 

From the moment she first worked for Jiyong, she thought her boss was happy, though he never showed his feelings openly. But, one day she found Jiyong was asleep, and he muttering another name beside his fiancée’s in his dream was what makes Chaerin realized that she has been totally wrong.

 

Yeoshin.

 

That magic word was always said by him repeatedly, sometimes with tears. Must be a woman, instinct within Chaerin said, although she couldn’t think of anyone with that name and she never knew why Jiyong used a silly nickname like that. One thing for sure, Jiyong’s heart has been hers only, always and will always be.

 

Maybe people will not believe this. Kwon Jiyong, the only son of Kwon family, who has been leading the international company in Seoul since his 23th birthday, who didn’t even shed a tear at the funeral of his father, actually cried in his sleep just because a woman? Huh, right.

 

But that was the reality, and Chaerin often smiled because of it. Obviously, her boss was also a human, as cold and rigid as any attitude that he has showed on surface. That 'yeoshin' girl is really lucky, whoever she is.

 

"Chaerin ssi, is there any problem?"

 

Chaerin snapped, came out of her own mind. Jiyong has already hung up from his earlier call and are now waiting impatiently.

 

"Ah, yes, pardon me. This," said Chaerin while putting a white envelope on Jiyong’s table, the reason why she came to his office without being asked.

 

"This?" Jiyong took it, but his gaze fixed toward Chaerin, waiting for an explanation.

 

"The invitation card of Choi Dongwook and Park Hanbyul’s engagement party, if I am not mistaken," replied Chaerin. Or at least that's what the courier of that letter told her before.

 

Jiyong opened it and read it, "Tonight? Why do I only get it now?"

 

"I don’t know, that invitation card was only arrived just now, Jiyong ssi."

 

Jiyong nodded. "Well, you can go now."

 

Chaerin bent her head and walked out. She was confused, why did she lose her thought just now? And she even daydreamed about her boss’ life romance! Among all the matters, why exactly was it bothering her?

 

Chaerin shook her head. She didn’t know the reason for her strange behavior before, just hoping that maybe it was a good sign.

 

---***---

 

Dara has just finished a call when she realized Seunghyun was standing in front of her desk.

 

"Yes, Seunghyun?" Dara spontaneously smiled. Aah ... since she decided to help Bom, her heart was so light. Was this how it felt to be rewarded? Then, surely Dara has to do this more often.

 

And Seunghyun ... Well, Dara can’t deny that she enjoyed Seunghyun’s sufferings every time Bom approached him. Like when they ate lunch together yesterday. Seunghyun was alone, and Dara came to his table directly while dragging Bom. Dara will never forget his face when he saw Bom at that time.

 

"Dara, do you have dress?" Seunghyun asked suddenly.

 

Dara nodded.

 

"Can you dress up?"

 

Dara frowned, "Yeah, I can, but what..."

 

"Good, I don’t have to take you to salon then. Go home now and be prepared; I'll pick you up at seven o'clock tonight."

 

Dara's eyes widened. "Where will we go?"

 

"I just received a party invitation. The sender of the invitation is my friend, I had to come. And..."

 

Dara waited for the continuation of the sentence, "And?"

 

"And you should also come as a secretary. You should know some important people who will be there, most of whom are my partners."

 

Dara nodded in understanding. Wait... party?

 

"But I’ve never attended any formal party except my neighbor's marriage," said Dara worried. She didn’t want to embarrass Seunghyun, and well, herself too.

 

Seunghyun smiled. "It's okay, I don't think there will be too many people. We can just come, eat and drink, get acquainted with some people, then go home. That’s all."

 

"But ... Can’t you ask Bom to go as well?" Well, she wasn’t Dara if she couldn’t take advantage in every situations.

 

Seunghyun’s eyebrows were lifted. The memory of their lunch yesterday was still clear in his mind, when Dara tried VERY HARD to make Bom sitting in front of him, while Dara herself sitting next to Bom.

 

"No. My secretary isn’t nu... I mean Bom, you know?"

 

Dara still didn’t know how to give up. "Then can she accompany me?"

 

"Do I smell a conspiracy here lately?" Seunghyun could not help but to ask.

 

Uh-oh. "No, what are you saying? I’m not conspiring with Bom," said Dara, using a little laugh to conceal her nerves.

 

"You conspired with Bom? For what? Does she want your position?"

 

Me and my big mouth. "N-no! For what purpose does she want my job? She has even bigger salary than me."

 

"So what is it that she wants?"

 

"No, Seunghyun. Duh, don’t you trust me?" said Dara evasively.

 

"Then, why do you always involve Bom?" Seunghyun was still suspicious.

 

"I don’t usually go to a formal party. Can’t I ask Bom to stay in an unfamiliar place with me? You surely will have a chat with people here and there, while I don’t have anything to do."

 

Seunghyun sighed, "All right, but, if you’re thinking of setting me up with Bom or whatever it is, stop your stupid intention right now, okay? You’ve made our relationship becoming even more awkward. "

 

Huh, looks like Seunghyun is quite sharp, Dara thought. She nodded understandingly in front of Seunghyun. But, who knows the tricky plan in her head?

 

--- *** ---

 

"Dara, I don’t think this is a good plan," Bom said worriedly. Dara didn’t reply, still struggling in ransacking Bom’s cupboard, looking for fitting dress.

 

"Dara!"

 

Dara poked her head out of a large closet, looked at her with her round eyes. "What's not good, Bom?"

 

"Everything."

 

Dara smiled a little, re-drown herself in the sea of ​​clothing. "Take it easy, Bom. No need to worry."

 

"But Dara, don’t you feel you're too forcing? That name-calling, at lunch yesterday, and now, this party. I think S-Seunghyun... would hate me..." Bom bowed his head nervously.

 

Still in the closet, Dara frowned and asked, "Hate you? Why? I’m the one who forced him, right? "

 

Bom’s head is still down. "But he's going to think that I'm the one who asked you to help me..."

 

Dara turned away once again, in an instant she was standing in front of the shocked Bom.

 

"Look Bom, no one will hate you. You're beautiful, you're smart, and you really want him to like you, right? "

 

Bom nodded, her face slightly flushed.

 

"There is nothing to be worried about, then. Only a foolish man will hate a woman who would do anything for him. And if Seunghyun is that stupid, absolutely he won’t get to his position as sajangnim," Dara said with a convincing smile.

 

Bomb chuckled. "Thanks Dara, I don’t know what I will do without you."

 

Dara smiled broadly, in her hands a mini dress has been hanging. "Of course. Well, now, be prepared. Dara the fairy godmother will turn you into a very beautiful Cinderella!"

 

---***---