My Best Friends...For Life

Surviving Life In A Crazy Little World Called High School

kamiru_kpoplover19: Dreams are written in pink. XD

 

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Your POV:

 

“….so, that’s what happened.” I said, concluding the tale of my hospital-and-evil-men-in-black escape earlier.

We’d gone to Myung’s house after that little episode earlier since his was the closest and the biggest, although Woohyunnie’s and my homes were just right next to his. They were currently interrogating me in Myung’s ridiculously luxurious living room which I was more or less used to due to the endless sleepovers, parties and lazy afternoons I’d spent here.

“Are you friggin’ kidding me? There’s no way, anybody’s gonna believe that cra--…” Myungsoo started to say, his usually-gentle-and-calm tone now raised with anger before another over-exaggerated outburst cut him off.

“B-bwoh?! A rude bastard named Hoya made a move on you?! That little---…” Woohyun added, standing up suddenly and clenching his fist in a menacing manner before I smacked him on the shoulder to make him sit down again.

Aish, these boys have more drama in them than soaps I swear…I thought, rolling my eyes in frustration at them before folding my arms in front of me and staring them down.

“Okay, hold up, home boys…number one, I did NOT mention any move-making in my story, number two…” I turned to Myung and glared at him, “…YES Myungie, it is true so friggin’ deal with it and three, you are NOT entitled to go overprotective-older-brother-mode on me right now because YOU broke your promise first!” I said, the last directed at the two of them who had gone berserk after finding out I’d left the hospital without them and had gone wandering around Seoul alone.

Myungsoo bit his lower lip and lowered his gaze, a sign that he felt extremely guilty while Woohyun blushed and looked at the ceiling, obviously avoiding my gaze.

“Lemme guess…a teacher asked you to fix the accounting books for them or something again?” I said, raising an eyebrow at the guilty Myungsoo who nodded his head slowly before looking up at me with a puppy-dog expression. Aish, my Myungie’s so cute…how can I not forgive him? And he was probably forced into it anyway so I can’t really blame him. I thought, sighing slightly before smiling at Myung who was too much of a gentleman to resist a girl, young or old, who asked him for help.

“And you, my dear grease monkey…which one of your girlfriends held you up this time? That college student unnie or that first year?” I said, narrowing my eyes at Woohyun who attempted to give me a wide-eyed, innocent expression.

“Jagiya, you know I’ll never put any of them before you---…” He started to explain in a cooing tone but stopping when I threw him a death glare I learned from Myungsoo. He scratched the back of his head sheepishly before adding, “…okay, so there’s this hot new chick I met in the supermarket earlier and she---…”

“That’s all I needed to hear.” I said, halting his words before turning my attention away from him and completely ignoring him.

“Waaaait! She asked me to fix her car for her which I did like the gentleman I am…see my grease-stained jacket?” He explained in a hurry, holding up a truly grease-painted white jacket and doing his disgustingly adorable bunny aegyo to get me to forgive him.

Oh please, you probably asked the girl for a kiss or a date like the others Nam Woohyun…I thought, rolling my eyes at him Well Woohyun will be Woohyun

I wasn’t really mad at them, especially since I know them like the back of my hand and could probably guess right 9 out 10 times just exactly where they were or what they were doing at random times of the day. Over the years, I’d pretty much gotten used to their strange, opposing personalities…more like I was FORCED to get used to them since they were the only friends I’ve ever really had.

“Oooooh…so that’s what that was. And here I thought your greasiness was beginning to leak through your pores.” I remarked in a sweet tone before sticking my tongue out at him childishly.

“Yah! Myungie, yeobo’s being mean to me~~~…” He replied, grabbing Myungsoo by the arm and tugging it in the process.

“Oh God, someone kill him for me already…” Myungsoo added with a groan, face-palming himself at the sight of Woohyun’s uber greasiness.

Aish, these two idiots really…I thought, chuckling at their age-old ridiculousness before hugging them both tightly by the neck.

“God, I missed you guys.” I whispered against their shoulders, meaning every word, before I felt two strong arms, one from each side, hug me back.

“We missed you too, little girl.”

 

 

……………………………………………………………………………………………………

“J-ji Yeon? Eunjung? H-wayoung… ? W-why are you---…” I stuttered, unable to comprehend what the heck was going on right now.

I didn’t know which made less sense…the fact that I was just dumped with bucketfuls of ice-cold, dirty water or that my friends, the first girl-friends I’d made in high school, were the ones who’d dumped them on me. After ten months of being with them and hanging out with them, this was the first time they ever looked at me like this…with cold eyes that didn’t seem to recognize me.

And it hurt.

As much as the happiness I’d felt when they approached me first on the first day of school and made friends with me, the hurt and pain I felt as they gazed at me now like I was something they needed to get rid of was just as intense. No, even more.

I was cold, shivering from head to toe but more importantly, my heart was hurting way beyond any attack I’ve ever felt. Andwe…it can’t be possible…

“B-but w-we’re friends! …h-how---…” I continued to stutter, not of fear or nervousness but of the coldness that was beginning to overtake me. We were standing on the rooftop in the middle of winter…the breeze had begun to pierce me all over, making me lose all sense every now and again.

“, you actually thought you were part of our group?” Hwayoung scoffed, raising her eyebrow with incredulity at my apparent obtuseness. Yes…yes, I did

“You’re kidding, right? You actually thought we LIKED you?” Jiyeon added, before the three of them burst into malicious laughter.

“B-bwoh?...” I could only say, as I stared at the three people whom I’d come to love and care for as sisters laugh at me.

The memories that we shared…the Saturday ice cream trips, the lunch dates we spent on the roof, the sleepovers…everything came rushing back in a flash, causing the pain to swell in size. I remembered the happiness I first felt when I made friends other than Myungsoo and Woohyun for the first time and how happy they’d been for me when I told them the good news. What the hell was all that for then? Was all that an act? Tell me it wasn’t…

“Meaning, ugly, plain-faced idiot…we only made friends with you to get close to Woohyun-oppa and Myungsoo-oppa…get it into that thick, brainless skull of yours already!” Hwayoung explained in a mocking tone, pressing a finger on my forehead roughly, making my head bounce back a little. I simply stood there and let her do it, as I mulled over her words. They used me…? To get Myung and Woohyun…?

“You’re SOOO stupid, I swear! God, how could you NOT have noticed we were just using you as a personal servant all this time?!…” Eunjung said, her voice harsh and mocking, as she smirked at me with contempt and amusement.

“You actually spent the entire year buying us lunches and doing our assignments for us so we should probably thank you…but we’re not gonna ‘coz you’re an idiot!” Jiyeon added, before bursting into mocking laughter once more, clutching at Hwayoung’s shoulder as she doubled over with amusement.

What…?

Just then, all the love and trust I had for them seemed to turn into anger and hate in that one instant

“I-it seems like I wasn’t only stupid b-but a big fat idiot as well…h-how I could not have noticed just h-how evil you es are is beyond m-me…” I muttered with gritted teeth, glaring at them while clutching at my forearms as the cold winter seemed to pierce right through my bones now.

Their eyes widened with surprise before narrowing at me as they realized what I’d just said. I didn’t even try to avoid the hard slap Eunjung gave me which drove me to the hard, cemented ground…I was feeling like right at the moment and I needed a good, hard slap to wake me up.

“This is the l-last time I’ll e-ever let you g-girls hurt me…and w-with the w-way you’re acting right n-now, M-myungsoo and Woohyun will never like you, t-trust me.” I said in a low and serious tone, looking at them straight in the eye as I attempted to stand up and fix myself. I need to get out of here…I can’t stand this

“B-bwoh?! Why you little---…” Hwayoung screeched as she started towards me, a hand raised as though to slap me once more, before Eunjung stopped her. The eldest and leader of the group approached me instead, grabbing my chin roughly with one hand.

“You know what I hate the most about you, Park ~~~~~~~? …it’s your eyes.” She hissed, staring me down with her cold gaze which I returned with all the love, trust, anger and hatred I now felt for her. “How dare a plain-faced like you look at me with these eyes? You think you’re all that because you’ve got Myungsoo and Woohyun on your side? Think again …you’re not even worth .”

Eunjung, I trusted you…I trusted you.

“I-I can l-look at you i-in the eyes because I d-did nothing wrong Ham E-eunjung…tell me, c-can you do t-the same after this?” I said, my breath hitching every few seconds due to the pain I felt on my cheek where she’d slapped me and due to the harsh winter cold. She let go of my chin roughly, letting me sway and stumble to the ground since I couldn’t find my balance in time.

“Lock the up.” She said to the other two, no emotion whatsoever in her voice. I glanced at her retreating back before letting my gaze fall to Jiyeon and Hwayoung, who were grabbed me on each side.

“Let me go! Lemme---..g-go!” I screamed, attempting to break free from their grasp but the exhaustion and pain had finally sunk in, making me weak all over. I continued to thrash about as hard as I could, earning me a smack on the head from Hwayoung and a harsh slap from Jiyeon.

“This is what you get for being a , Park ~~~~~!” Jiyeon screeched as she and Hwayoung suddenly let me go, causing me to hit the ground hard.

“Just ing die in here and don’t ever show your face in this school !” Hwayoung sneered before closing the door on me, engulfing me in the eerie, overwhelming darkness.

They threw me roughly on the small, isolated room which no one except the janitor went to. It was already late and majority of the students had already gone home, leaving me alone to find a way to get myself down from the rooftop.

“Andwe…a-andwe…open the door! Jiyeon! Hwayoung!” I screamed, knocking the door as hard as I could, even though I knew that even if they heard, they wouldn’t come to help me now. Pabo, you’re a big pabo, Park ~~~~~~…you’re a joke…

The tears which I’d been struggling to hold back all this time now streaked along my cheeks heedlessly, the darkness hiding them from the rest of the world, especially the three people whom I didn’t want to expose them to.

I felt my heart beating dangerously fast and hard and my head was beginning to feel dizzier by the minute. Along with the realization that I’d lost the first three girl friends I’d made since preschool in a matter of minutes, the darkness and the severely cramped space were starting to get to me. I need medicine…I need to get out of here

“Somebody..s-somebody…h-help! O-open the door! S-somebody!”

………………………………………………………………………………………..

 

 

“Noooooooooooo!” I shouted, as I sat and woke up from the nightmare. I was breathing hard and fast and my body was covered in cold sweat and I had to clutch at my chest. I could feel my heart beating fast and I struggled to calm myself down and push the bad memories in the back of my head. It’s over…that was months ago, I should forget already

It wasn’t even the first time I was bullied nor was that probably gonna be the last. But like the others, I was going to forget. It might not be today but soon, I’ll forget. Like all the others…I’ll forget it ever happened.

“~~~~~~? Kwenchana?” A sleepy Myungsoo suddenly said, causing me to glance at his figure sprawled on the carpeted floor. I saw him wiping his eyes with the back of his hand in a sleepy, child-like manner as he sat up and looked over at me. Omo, I woke him up

It was then that I realized I was lying on the couch, a blanket spread hastily over me while Myungsoo was on the floor beside me and Woohyun was only a few inches away from him. I remember that we’d spent the entire afternoon and evening munching on chips, ice cream and soda, watching old movies and playing games and the three of us had fallen asleep, as usual, in Myungsoo’s living room.

“I’m fine Myung…go back to sleep…” I whispered, not wanting to wake even Woohyun up. I’m fine, just fine… But Myungsoo must have heard something weird in my voice since he suddenly got up and sat beside me on the couch, before touching the side of my cheek.

“You’ve been crying…” He whispered, his eyes clouded with worry as he wiped the tears which had spilled all over my cheeks. I didn’t even realize I’d been crying until he pointed that little fact out and I hurriedly wiped the rest, embarrassed at having been caught in my moment of weakness…even if the other person was Myungsoo.

“I’m fine…I’ll be fine, Myung.” I told him, resolve and determination in my voice as I smiled at him sincerely, the words probably more for myself than for him. His furrowed brows softened then, before smiling at me lopsidedly. In time, I’ll forget…then I’ll fine, just fine…

“We’re starting school tomor---…I mean, later…are you ready?” He asked in a low, worried tone, while I cursed myself for worrying him. Myungsoo has always been the motherly, worrywart member of our little group and contrary to the cold, untouchable image he was known for, he was the kindest and warmest human being on the face of the planet. If only I could say the same for his parents

I couldn’t respond to his question for I wasn’t sure whether I was ready or not and he understood my silence and simply held my hand in his and squeezed it tight, as if transferring his strength to me. He knew, without me having to explain it, what I was thinking about and I was glad that I didn’t have to say it out loud.

“Come ‘ere, little girl, let’s get you some rest.”

“Deh Myung-umma…” I whispered, chuckling in amusement as he led me to the carpeted floor to lay between him and Woohyun. I could almost imagine him rolling his eyes at me in the darkness and I was glad that Myung was being the usual Myungsoo.

He continued holding my hand even as he drifted back to sleep and I could feel another warm hand grabbing hold of my other one. I felt Woohyun shift silently in my right side and I knew he was awake and doing the same thing as Myung…only he would never show it as openly as our group umma. Our Woohyunnie was a huge greasy flirt but when it came to serious stuff, he was the most awkward. I was also glad Woohyun was being Woohyun.

The three of us have been friends long enough, sometimes it felt like it’d been TOO long, but we knew each other enough that no words were needed between us. Thank you…I thought, squeezing both of their hands in silent gratitude. Even now, I remember them appearing behind the door that painful, snowy night when I almost gave up all of hope of surviving…yet even without that, I already couldn’t count the ways and instances they’ve saved me.

It was a while before I’d drifted back to sleep as I mulled over today’s events, gaining my freedom, the mysterious boy I met and seeing my best friends again. I felt my eyes close a few moments later, the lull of drowsiness finally overtaking me.

 

 

Whatever it is, whatever this new school and new year has in store for me, I’ll be ready…because I have these two on my side.