D is for Dumb

Teach Me

"What? How is this possible?" Sungjong sighed defeatedly as his teacher gave him back a recent math test. The red D on the top left hand corner was not the grade he expected to see. He had studied for hours on differentiations and had done hundreds of related rate problems to no avail.

Sungjong was a studious and hardworking student. With an A in every single class, he excelled in speech and debate, spoke perfect English and was up-to-date in even international politics, but math was impossible. No matter how much he studied, he could never pull higher than a B.

He dejectedly sank into his seat. He peered to the right, then to the left. He had the lowest math grade in the class, again. He glanced at his friend's paper, B+. He knew Hoya would rub it in his face after class.

He looked back over his shoulder, curious to see what the mysterious Myungsoo had received. Sungjong stared at Myungsoo's paper, the older boy had received another A+ to add to his never ending list of A+'s. How could someone be so beautiful and so smart? That just isn't fair, Sungjong thought to himself.

Myungsoo was an enigma. He was silent at all times, Sungjong wasn't even sure the boy could talk. He was the most handsome man he had ever seen, his eyes were like daggers but his face was emotionless. He was a living statue. Sungjong wondered how beautiful he would look if he smiled, if he could that is. It seemed his face was in a permanent scowl. Maybe he was lonely, Sungjong had never seen him talk to other students or even the teacher.

Math was the only class they shared but Sungjong wanted to know more about this mysterious man.

He realized that he was staring for too long and flickered his gaze to look at Myungsoo's face. Myungsoo, in this black hoodie with his sleek hair and piercing gaze was staring back at him. Sungjong knew his face was flushed, he tried to turn away but their gazes were locked, he was unable to move.

"Sungjong," shocked from someone behind him calling his name, Sungjong jumped in his seat and turned to face the teacher. "I need to talk to you after class," Mr. Kim said in a stern manner. 

Sunggyu was the school's new young teacher and believed he had something to prove to the rest of the staff. Because of this, he was unnecessarily hard on his students, especially Sungjong. 

Mr. Kim aka Sunggyu was Sungjong's step brother. Their parents had married in Gwangju when they were both very young. Growing up they lived a relatively small town life. Although their was evident, they both had the same goals and aspirations: to leave Gwangju for the hustle and bustle Seoul had to offer.  

Their four year meant that when Sunggyu graduated when Sungjong would be admitted to uni. Much to their parent's distaste, they applied for schools in the big city. Due to Sunggyu's top score on the national exam, after graduating, he receieved a job offer to teach in Seoul and Sungjong was graciously accepted into Seoul National University.

Soon after telling their parents, they packed up their lives and left behind their small town lives for an appartment in Seoul.

----------------------------------------------

I was too lazy too read this over for mistakes so feel free to mention them in the comments if you find any. Please comment and tell me what you think so far and subscribe to the story! Make sure to subscribe to my other stories if you haven't already.