Latte

Out of sight, out of mind.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
lat·te /ˈlätā/  noun   a type of coffee made with espresso and hot steamed milk, milkier than a cappuccino.

 

One of Hongbin's favorite places in Seoul is the Coffee shop down the street from his apartment. He practically hides in the newly renovated shop for hours; relaxing while tasting a cup of perfumed coffee, especially in the winter. Today is no special day. After work, the 24-year-old walks into the shop, warm air welcoming him with a coffee smell, mixing the smell of chocolate and cakes. He walks to his usual spot, near the coffee bar on the left side of the door, and takes out the paperwork he couldn't finish at the office.

A few minutes later, a bartender with a clean and ironed uniform, smiling white tooth comes to take his order.

"The usual, Jaehwan," He replies, not bothering to look up from his work.

"Double shot espresso- gotcha," The bartender replies and walks away, "heard that, Taekwoon?"

There are vintage paintings placed around the wall of the shop that Hongbin likes looking at and analyzing occasionally in the hushed environment. Sometimes in the summer, the shop owner, Hakyeon, would replace the paintings with some of Hongbin's photography work. He, however, in no way agreed to, but there was absolutely no point in arguing with Hakyeon.

Cold air from the door of the cafe blows Hongbin's papers away, forcing him to look up. The man at the door had really black hair, shaved from one side. Hongbin studied the features of the man. He couldn't be--the same puckered lips and small eyes, the scent of paint that swirled around him.

His heart feels like it was being squeezed. He feels his still-healing wounds open again. Heartbreak is the only thing in the world that could possibly make him not want to have a heart anymore. The man's dark brown eyes gaze into Hongbin's and seem to burn into his memory forever. He walks over, bends and picks up papers then carefully puts them on the table. He bows and mutters an apology before he freezes.

Hongbin feels his heart pounding painfully. Does he recognize me?

"A-are you okay?" The man says, concern clear in his eyes. Just then Hongbin realizes that he was squeezing the pen in his hand so hard it broke and ink spilled out.

"Look, dude, I'm sorry about the papers, I--"

"I-it's fine. I'm fine" Hongbin replies through clenched teeth. The man gives him a small bow then walks behind the counter to the boss' office.

What is he doing here? Is he doing this on purpose? Or does he really not recognize me? Bastard. He ran off--

"You're gonna bore a hole in the back of his head. You okay?" His's thoughts get interrupted when Jaehwan places his drink on the table. He pulls the seat across from Hongbin and falls in it rather ungracefully, "Ow," he winces as he rubs his bottom.

"Yeah, I'm fine. What makes you think I'm not?"

"Well, you sort of looked like you were about to lunge at him earlier," Jaehwan points with his thumb to the back room.

"Did I?" He replies as he takes a sip of his drink. He decides to play dumb and asks, "Who is he anyway?"

"I'm not to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter