Filler: Wendy

No Assumptions

Note: This is a filler. No progress to Joygi or Wenrene.

--------------- -------

Wendy loves music. From the time when she was still in the womb and her papa singing 2Pac’s “I Get Around,” to when she was seven and accidentally setting the house on fire and realizing the smoke detector was unleashing mad, head-bobbing tones. From the time her older sister cried-singed to “If” on the piano after her break-up to when she took Wendy to an 80’s themed gay night club on her recent birthday. Wendy loves all kinds of music.

She loves music even more when she realizes she could partake in it. Her mom spoiled her rotten with instruments -- but her classmates would say Wendy had a tiger mom and girl, how are you still chippy doing all of this at 12 years old but Wendy dismisses them -- and she had the pleasure to play and master the guitar, piano, saxophone, violin, flute, french horn, oboe, jiaohu, and the maracas (there’s an art to it, she explains to her family).

So then, it would be natural for Wendy to pursue a musical elective during her school years, right? Precisely so.

And she chose orchestra.

For years in high school, Wendy was the epitome of grace and class, winning her school awards and trophies with her crazy first chair violinist skills and rendering middle-aged adults to sobbing messes. Wendy was going places, Wendy was getting recruited to join pretentious symphonies in New York or London or whatever, and she was gonna make bank making music, what she loves most, three hours a day.

Wendy had her life in the bag. Yassss Wendy yassss.

But she had to go to college first because she made a promise to her papa. Whyyyy papa whyyyy.

And to college she went, but she was hella stressed. Freshman Wendy was neurotic and in order to keep those A’s, she sacrificed her musicality and in essence, her life. All work and no play made Wendy cray cray.

So it is without a doubt Wendy cried ugly tears and had snot running down her nose when the semester ended and she checked her phone to see her A- averages. No-life Wendy guarantees academic results.

“Wendy!!! Are you okay? Did you barely pass trigonometry?”

Wendy sniffed and turned to the direction of the voice. Oh, it’s the pretty girl/friend-whenever-I-see-you-in-class/friend-who-Snapchats-academic-distress Joy.

“N-never been better,” she sniffed. “I made a 98 on my final.”

Joy gasped, “Oh my god, I made a 92!” They laughed, and Wendy still looks like an America Next Top Model reject. 

Joy hands her a tissue not before asking, “So there’s the football finals tonight, and if you’re not doing anything, do you want to come with? And don’t say you have plans because I remember you publicly announced to Facebook that you were going to live the rest of your life as a hermit.”

“Sure, I’ll go. I’m finally free.” Wendy makes a note to change her Facebook status.

“Tell me about it.”

-------

Nightfall came to stay, but the lights were bright as ever to showcase the finals’ half-time show. Joy and Wendy sat at the very top of the bleachers, both a bit excited on what’s to come.

“I can’t wait to see the cheerleaders!” Joy exclaims, looking left and right for any signature ponytails or uniforms.

“OH MY GOSH JOY LOOK! THERE’S THE TROMBONE! JOY! IT’S! THE! TROMBONE! I HAVEN’T SEEN THAT SH*T IN YEARS! OH MY GOD JOY IT’S A BACH ONE! BACK IN MY DAY WE ONLY HAD JUPITERS OH MY GOD OH MY GOD JOY LOOK THERE’S DRUMS! SO MANY DRUMS--”

“MY CHEERLEADERS!! KWON YURI! IM YOONA! KIM SEOLHYUN! SHIN HYEJEONG! MENG JIA! WANG FEIFEI! KIM YURAAAAAAA AHHHH!!!!!”

“LADIES AND GENTLEMEN! THE HALF-TIME SHOW IS NOW UNDERWAY! PLEASE GIVE A HAND TO HALLYU’S VERY OWN NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP MARCHING BAND: THE HEROES!”

“Aw, now I have to wait for my cheerleaders.”

Wendy was jumping up and down as the drum line beats to their formation, followed by stomps and tones from trumpets and trombones.

“EVERYBODY! WHOSE HOUSE ARE YOU IN?!”

“HALLYU’S!”

“WHOSE HOUSE?!”

“HALLYU’S!!!” Wendy and Joy screamed.

And then a giant monster truck rolled across the stadium with members inside it and everyone screamed some more.

Every bang and every clang, every toot and hoot -- all the sounds and cacophony had Wendy on a high. A high with no bad trip down.

“EVERYBODY SCREAM!”

Two elephants then rampaged through the field and got on their hind legs, shrieking along to the music and the marching band.

The sounds were intensifying, faster, harder, and when all sounds ceased, fireworks shot up to the sky with loud crackles and sizzles.

Wendy fainted.

-----------

Wendy shoves the phone away from her face.

“Oh my god, Joy, stop.” she whines.

“But you looked so cute comatose in the infirmary!” Joy slides to another photo.

“In this one, I’m using a timer app to capture my work in action. Here is you with your new makeover. And this is you waking up with this manic gleam in your eyes, and here’s you lunging at me trying to take your pictures, and here’s you overexerting yourself and laying comatose again... Aigoo, our Wendy is so cute...”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

======

This is me trying to write more instead of relying heavily on dialogue, but I ended up writing a flashback/narrative. OTL also, I'm really bad at tenses. へ(><#)ノ I'm lowkey attached to this au and I have so many ideas but cohesively putting it together is challenging, I'm not really a writer, i write for the lolz and bc joygi. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Preview for next chapter

"I'm going to find my otp."

"I'm surprised you know what that means."

"I will find my one, Seulgi. I felt her not too long ago. I mustn't lose her." 

 

 

 

 

". Joy just joined. How am I supposed to tell her that regionals is next Saturday?"

"REGIONALS IS NEXT SATURDAY!?" 

"You heard that?"

 

 

 

 

 

"Hi. I'm--"

"CanYouHoldMyFluteCaseReallyQuickIHaveToGoPerform." 

"--Irene." 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Unnie?!"

"AYEEEE SOOYOUNG! You grew up well! YO NANA, BEKAH! CHECK OUT MY JUNIOR! SHE'S COMPETING!" 

"Lizzy-unnie... are you competing too? Is After School here?"

"Yup and yup." 

Joy wanted to die.