Baekhyun: Heaven's Grief

Of Good Heavens And Holy Hells
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

 

 

For some reason, Baekhyun and Jongdae had started some sort of competition. In all honesty, it was silly. The two would make bets on the person's life: if he or she would live, or not. It was usually Baekhyun's win, leaving Jongdae in the dust. But to them, it was worth bragging rights that will last until their next mission together.

Both would always ask their superiors if it was intentional that most of their job assignments were with each other, but their bosses would just ignore them. But unknown to common knowledge, Grim Reapers and Guardian Angels would have to work together. No matter the circumstances, they would have to help each other, and most importantly help the soul into a peaceful passing.

The Angel would pull the soul out of the body while the Reaper will guide the soul. Most Grim Reapers have had their fair share of coming up to Heaven to bring a soul who got lost on its way. The same goes for Guardian Angels. Though a majority of them avoid going down (it was too stuffy and smelled of feet, they reported), they also had been to the Netherworld countless times now. 

 

To Baekhyun, he thinks that his superior is getting back at him for all the pranks he's been setting for the little guy up. It's not that he dislikes his Guardian Angel partner, nope, but rather, he is highly disturbed by the other guy. Baekhyun would just wrinkle his nose at the memory of Jongdae getting too attached to the kid (they're usually given a kid to look after, and watch them grow) they get assigned to.

Sure, not all kids are snotty brats, some of them are actually nice kids who just read books in the corner, but seeing his apparent partner shed tears whenever the kid would pass away just irked Baekhyun. 

Down in the Underworld, Baekhyun had gotten used to seeing tortured souls here and there on a daily basis. So seeing someone die or get killed in front of him wasn't that much of surprise. Except for the first one. His first mission shook him. But after getting back, Kyungsoo, his boss, briefed him about his first day, but the lecture was condensed into one sentence that Baekhyun would chant in his head every day:

 

"Quit being a , and just accept reality and the cruelty of life."

 

For his next few missions, he had done well, after repeating the words in his mind. He would shake his head to rid of other thoughts when he saw Jongdae use his pristinely white sleeves to wipe his tears away. 

He didn't understand why Jongdae just had to get attached to their targets. Sure, he got the point that he is technically from Heaven, so they would promote love and kindness and whenever they could, but this was getting out of hand. 

 

Now, the two of them were assigned to a kid named Choi Hansol. The boy was contracted with kidney failure, and unfortunately, his body denied the kidney for the transplant, so now he's been bed-ridden for almost a week, with no signs of getting up.

 

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

 

 

Baekhyun was reading a magazine over Hansol's dad's shoulder. He got tired of watching Jongdae pace back and forth with a worried face. "Holy hell, Jongdae. You're more worried than the kid's parents over here," Baekhyun said, snorting when the dad's hand flew up to the back of his neck after Baekhyun practically breathed over him.

"Well, duh! Of course, I'm worried! I've been with the kid since he was born! I was with him when his parents weren't!" Jongdae growled. Baekhyun was slightly taken aback, but had already gotten used to it, and noticed that Jongdae was already at that stage of his worry.

"Both of us, dear. We've been with the little devil since he was born. No need to get wound up, sheesh," Baekhyun clicked his tongue. 

 

"I know! Dammit, Baekhyun. I don't know how you're always calm when we reach this point in time," Jongdae shrugs, slowly sliding down to sit beside the boy's father. 

"Dude, chill out. That's how life is. Ya gotta get used to your job sooner or later, too," Baekhyun yawned.

"Yeah, but man, haven't you like, thought of what kind of person you were before you became a Reaper?" Jongdae asked innocently.

 

Baekhyun could have sworn he felt something in the pits of his stomach  flutter when he saw Jongdae's curious eyes. "Sure I have. The guys back down always told me I must have been one hell of an . Which I am until now," Baekhyun replied nonchalantly. 

It was true that he had thought about it for quite some time now. He would always laugh it off, but he was still curious. According to Kyungsoo, there was some higher-up person who kept a record of the souls that has ever entered the Gates of Hell. 

"So, he's like some sort of security guard?" Baekhyun joked, and earned him a er-punch from the shorter.

 

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

 

 

Sometimes, he would have the urge to look for this guy and ask him about his life before he died. He was sure Heaven also had that kind of person, too. 'Saint Peeker, or something like that,'  Baekhyun shrugged at the thought. 

He looked over to Jongdae who was currently staring at the TV screen, the blaring sounds and pictures practically blinding him. He looked toward Hansol's bed and thought of what his partner must have been in his past life.

He imagined the other to be like a school teacher or something. 'S'why he's so attached to kids,' Baekhyun concluded. Jongdae had always been a nice guy, and Baekhyun was sure it had nothing to do with him being a Guardian Angel. He's just too nice for his own good.

 

Beep... Beep... Beep... Beep... Beep...

 

 

It had been almost an hour or so since Hansol's parents were called by the doctor to discuss some matters. Judging from the older man's grave expression, things were gonna get ugly. 

Whil

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter