Chapter 33

Hard But Easy

"Good morning, princess. Did you sleep well last night?"

I smiled at the pouting girl in front of me as I held her helmet in one hand. It was a Saturday, a day when most of the time, I'll put aside time to meet Krystal for a date. 5 minutes after informing Krystal that I was already at the campus carpark, she arrived looking less energetic from her usual self. I was about to put on the helmet for Krystal when she suddenly hugged me. Surprised to receive it suddenly, I started to worry and asked her if she was okay.

"I'm fine. I just miss you. That's all." She created a distance between our bodies and looked up to me as I smiled wide at her comments. "It's been a week since I last saw you. School is hectic. I wish I was done with school already."

"I understand. It's your final year so lots of assignments and thesis to be done. Just keep on fighting and hold on for a bit longer. You'll graduate soon." I tried to give her encouragement as I fastened her strap.

"I didn't seem to be able to sleep well for the past few nights. The stress is affecting my sleep." She pouted again as I started to become more concern.

"Should I drive instead?" My suggestion caused Krystal to frown a little before she shook her head slowly. "If I drive, at least you can rest for while in the car."

"But you don't like to drive." Krystal replied and she continued by saying that she was fine with riding as she didn't want to trouble me.

"That's true. I don't like to drive but I like you more. So, let's drive." I grinned dorkily when I saw Krystal blushing a little. "Can I park my bike here and then we can use your car to drive around?"

Krystal finally nodded her head as she searched for her car keys in her bag while I pushed my bike to a proper parking lot. Before she handed the keys to me, she paused and arched her eyebrows.

"Did you bring your medication with you?" I nodded my head to her question as she asked me to take it before driving. "I just want to make sure that you'll be fine when you're driving. Here. I've got a bottle of mineral water in my bag."

Krystal handed me the bottle as I opened my topbox where my small pouch was. Taking the pills out, I swallowed the medication in front of Krystal. She seemed to be very satisfied knowing that I've taken my medication that she nodded her head profusely.

I opened the door for Krystal to climb in and even put the safety belt on for her before I walked to the driver seat. Once I was settled down after putting on my safety belt, I started the engine. I was about to place my hand on the passenger seat headrest to reverse the car, when I realised that Krystal had been staring at me with an unreadable expression.

"Wae? Why are you looking at me like that?"

"You looked like someone who's been driving for sometime." Krystal said as I answered that I've been driving the tow truck occasionally. "Does that also include putting on the safety belt for others?"

I frowned a little since I didn't understood what Krystal was trying to insinuate. Seeing my confused look, Krystal then explained that my act of putting on the safety belt for her looked like I was used to doing things like that to other people.

"Ooohhh... You were referring to that action of mine earlier. Actually, that was the first time that I'm putting on the safety belt for others. I used to see my Appa doing that to Omma everytime the 3 of us went out together. I'm sorry. Did I make you uncomfortable with my actions earlier?" I asked as my expression showed that I was feeling guilty.

Krystal shook her head and smiled. "Your parents are a very loving couple. Did your Appa used to always put on the helmet for your Omma too?"

"Anni. Appa didn't have a bike license. Harabeoji didn't allow him to ride since he said that it was dangerous even though Appa really wanted to do so."

"Your Appa seemed to lead a very controlled life, growing up. I remembered that you told me about how Harabeoji didn't allow him to work at a workshop even though he loves cars a lot." Krystal commented while I concentrated on reversing the car and drove the car out.

"Appa has a lot of dreams and things that he wanted to do but was not able to accomplished them, thanks to Harabeoji who controlled his life by making most of his decisions for him." I sighed as I felt Krystal's hand resting on top of my hand that was on the gear. "That's why, I'm always thankful for the fact that I'm still alive. Me and Appa are so alike that everytime I managed to accomplish something, it felt like it was our accomplishment together."

"Listening to how your Appa treats your Omma, I can see the similarity in both of you. Your Omma is a lucky person to have your Appa and so am I, to have you." Krystal's honest words put a smile on my face.

"Does that mean you're agreeing to marry me?" I decided to as Krystal's expression changed to being shy before she quickly coverd it up by glaring at me.

"Yah! I'm still studying. I still have my dreams to achieve too. Do you think I will have time to consider about marriage?" Krystal answered as I replied that I was willing to wait for her before I started to chuckle. "Stupid. Stupid Eunjin."

I continued laughing as I saw Krystal's cheeks turning red before she turned away to face the window. 

************************

"Krystal, Krystal."

I shook her shoulders gently but all I heard was her puppy-like sound, whining as she hugged the small pillow tighter. Looking at that cute sight, I smiled as I decided to let her sleep a little longer. We had went to the amusement park earlier after having our brunch. We walked around enjoying the scenery until we caught a glimpse of the haunted house.

(Flashback 5 hrs ago)

"Do you want to go in again?" I asked cheekily as Krystal shook her head vigorously. "But I'll be there with you."

"You are scared of ghosts too. I remembered Yuri-unnie and Yoona-unnie talking about it."

"I admit to that but surprisingly, when I was inside with you the last time, I didn't feel that scared." I replied as I placed a finger on my chin as if I was trying to remember what happened that day.

"You were busy chanting away about saving me. Maybe that's why you didn't really focused on your surroundings. Plus the fact that you had to carry me to the end. I still remembered your expression and your heavy breathing when we reached the exit. You were having symptoms of your phobia, right?"

I nodded my head as Krystal shook her head. She wrapped her arms around my hand and placed her head on my shoulder as she pulled me away from the haunted house.

"Don't put yourself at risk for me anymore. I don't like it if you end up hurting yourself." Krystal said in a sad tone as I stopped walking.

"I'll be more hurt if I don't do anything to save you from difficult situations. Just trust me, okay. I promise you I won't endanger myself." I said with confidence as Krystal took some time before nodding her head.

(End of Flashback)

We went on rides and played games before proceeding to the ice-skating rink to skate. It was only when we felt hungry at around 6pm, that we decided to leave the amusement park. It didn't take long for Krystal to fall asleep in the car as I drove off to the restaurant for our dinner. She must have been really tired by then.

We had arrived at the restaurant's carpark about 10mins ago but I didn't have the heart to wake Krystal up since she seemed to be sleeping peacefully. Especially since she had told me that she's been having difficulties sleeping lately. I was staring blankly at the view outside of the car when I felt some movements beside me. Turning to my right, I saw Krystal stretching her hands before she opened her eyes slowly.

"Are we there yet? Why is the car not moving?" Krystal stiffled a yawn while I just smiled.

"We've reached since 15mins ago. I tried to wake you up but I guess you were too tired so I just let you continue sleeping." I explained as I saw Krystal straightening up her posture.

"No wonder I feel my stomach growling." Krystal placed her hands over her stomach as she looked around the outside. "Why does this place looks familiar? Did we came here before?"

"I think we did. But not together. You came here with your parents and unnie for your birthday dinner. Remember?" I asked as Krystal's eyes widened when she finally realised the truth.

"That's right. You came to sing me a song and also handed me a give that night. I remembered they served very delicious steak but I was not able to enjoy it well when I was here."

"And why is that so?" I had a curious expression as Krystal explained about her parent's decision on not being able to stay long like they've promised and also because of her unnie. "Your unnie? What's wrong with her?"

"At that time, I thought that you and Sica-unnie had something going on together so I thought that you came to impress her in front of our parents." Krystal pouted as I started to smirk cheekily.

"Ahhhh.. Jealous much, I see."

I received a smack on my shoulders for my teasing as Krystal rolled her eyes at me before repeating that she was hungry. We were ushered to a table once we arrived at the restaurant and I started to look around. Krystal saw my actions and asked me about it. I told her that I was looking for my friend.

"The one that was performing that night? The one that asked you to sing without your agreement?" Krystal asked as I nodded my head. "Are you planning to sing again?"

"Do you want me too?" I smiled when Krystal nodded her head as she explained that she had not been able to see me perform at Twin Towers since I started to do so last week. "That's because you are busy with school work. You also didn't want me to perform on weekends because you were worried about the friction between me and Amber."

Krystal pouted when I laid out the facts and she ignored me by looking through the menu. I told her that I'll leave a message with my friend to ask her about it since it seemed that there's no performance going on at the moment. The waiter came to take our orders before leaving as we continued to chat.

"Han Eunjin."

I was surprised when someone came to our table and patted my back. Turning to my side, I saw that it was my friend.

"Woah... you finally manage to get the girl. She's the one that you were too shy to give the present directly, right?"   

I felt my cheeks becoming warmer as I saw Krystal trying to hide her grin. My friend continued saying that the band perfomance would only start at 8pm which was in 30mins time. She introduced herself to Krystal and started blabbering about how I was when I was still working at the restaurant.

"She's got a lot of admirers when she was still here. Lots of girls would come just to hear her performance which indirectly made Eunjin the favourite employee of the boss since she's bringing in the customers. He was so sad when Eunjin told him that she won't be working part time anymore since she wanted to concentrate on her final year."

At that moment, I wished I could smack the head of my friend who seemed to be enjoying her time, teasing me.

"Did she fell for any of the girls since you said that she has a lot of admirers?" Krystal's question caused my eyes to widen as I didn't expect Krystal to be curious about it.

"Fell? This idiot doesn't even show any interest at any of them at all. Initially I thought that maybe she was straight but she didn't show interest in any of the guys too. Even when the girls handed her their contact numbers, by the end of the night, it'll all end up in the trashbin. But surprisingly, none of the girls were complaining about her not responding to them. They said they liked her cool and nonchalant attitude." My friend patted my shoulder again before she started laughing away. "Which was why I was surprised when she came to hand over the present. She was smiling away behind the stage when she was looking at you."

"She was?" Krystal asked for a confirmation before she smiled when she saw my friend nodding her head. "Cute."

"Come to think of it. Didn't you tell me that she was dating someone else at that time?" My friend's question caused me to shook my head subtly, as if gesturing to her not to bring up the topic.

"At that time, I was dating someone else but it didn't end well." Krystal admitted.

"But weren't you glad that it didn't end well? I mean, who can resist this good-looking but cute girl. She's got the brain and the looks." My friend pointed at me as I gritted my teeth before rolling my eyes at her while she chuckled. "Anyway since you want to sing, I can give you the opening act later. In the meantime, enjoy your meal."

The food arrived immediately after my friend left the table. Both of us enjoyed the food while chatting as I noticed that Krystal was really satisfied with the steak that she had ordered.

"Do you like meat that much?" I asked as Krystal nodded her head.

"I don't just like meat. I love meat." Krystal answered before she put in another slice of the meat into .

"Do you love meat or do you love me?" I blatantly asked as my question caught Krystal offguard.

She almost choked on her food as I quickly handed her drink to swallow it down. It became a little awkward afterwards but luckily, I was saved from that situation when I heard my name being called on stage by my friend. The crowd applaused loudly as I looked at Krystal who smiled and gestured me to go up the stage.

"Annyeonghaseyo, Han Eunjin-imnida." I smiled a little as I saw Krystal giggling. Probably laughing at my nervous state. "I'll be singing a song as an opening act for tonight with some help from my friends. It's actually a request from a beautiful lady that I'm here with today but I hope that everyone will enjoy it too. Krystal, this song is for you."

My friend handed me an acoustic guitar as she took a seat beside me. Giving the que to the rest of the bandmates, I started to strum the guitar.

Krystal's POV

I couldn't stop myself from smiling the moment I heard Eunjin's voice. Even though it was not my first time listening to her singing, but it gave fluttering feelings to me especially when she looked my way. I noticed that the crowd was listening well to her performance and I imagined that it was always that way everytime she performed on stage.

'I should find some time to go to Twin Towers to catch her performance.'

"One... you're like a dream come true... Two... just wanna be with you... Three... girl, it's plain to see that you're the only one for me... And four... repeat steps one through three... Five... make you fall in love with me... If ever I believe my work is done... Then I'll start back at one."

During the chorus part, Eunjin's eyes were focused on me as I listened to every word she said. When she mentioned the word love, I immediately remembered the instance earlier when she had awkwardly asked me the question.

'Do I love her?'

That question popped up again in my head. Come to think of it, for the past 3 months, both of us had never actually mentioned the word love. I wasn't sure if it was because she was holding back or because I was waiting for her to make the first move.

'But do I love her?'

My train of thoughts were disrupted by the loud applause from the crowd as Eunjin bowed her head after she ended her song.

************************

"You drove? Really?" Yuri looked at me as if I was lying to her.

"Do you see my bike around?" I asked while Yuri immediately looked around the carpark before shaking her head. "I drove because Krystal was feeling tired. I wanted her to have some rest in the car while we move around."

"Oouuhhh... That's so sweet and thoughtful of you." Jessica said before giving her sister a side hug. "What's wrong, Soojungie? Why were you tired?"

After dinner earlier, I had drove Krystal to her sister's apartment with the intention of bringing back the car to her campus and take my bike home. We met Jessica and Yuri at the apartment's carpark as both of them had also just returned from a date. We were there 10mins earlier than them so they didn't manage to see that I was the one who was driving the car.

Krystal explained to Jessica about how she's been having trouble sleeping lately because of feeling stress with school work. We chatted for a while before I excused myself to go off.

"Why don't you just bring the car back and fetch Krystal tomorrow to send her back to campus?" Jessica suggested as I agreed that it was a good idea.

"Drive safely. Message me once you've reached home." Krystal said as I nodded my head but I saw that she was looking at Jessica and Yuri before biting her lips. "Can I...?"

I already knew what Krystal wanted by the look in her eyes as I spread my arms. Walking up to me, Krystal gave me a tight hug before putting a distance between us. Jessica and Yuri seemed to be very understanding of the situation as they didn't teased Krystal about it.

"Wash up and if you're too tired, just go ahead and sleep first. Don't have to wait for me to reach home." I said as Krystal shook her head, adamant about waiting up for me. "Arraseo. I'll make a move then."

Yuri also said her goodbye to Jessica before both of us made our way to the cars and drove off.

Krystal's POV

After having a quick shower, I checked on my phone and smiled when I saw a message from Eunjin. She said that she was safely home and would be taking a shower. I was about to put my phone aside and switched on my laptop when I heard a knock on my door.

Jessica-unnie's head popped out from the small opening as she asked if it was okay for her to come in.

"What are you doing?" Unnie asked after taking a seat on the edge of my bed.

"I was planning to look through some of my assignments while waiting for Eunjin to call. She's just reached home and is taking a shower." I explained as Unnie nodded her head.

"Eunjin seems like a nice person. Caring and thoughful. By the way, was everything okay when she drove the car? Did you notice anything different?"

"Well, for a start. she seems very careful when she drove. From the way she was gripping the steering wheel, I can feel that she was a bit tense. I did ask her to take her medication before she started driving so I guess it helps to calm her down a little. Eunjin kept apologising since she felt that her driving will make me feel uncomfortable even so it was not."

"Yuri told me that her doctor did advised for Eunjin to take her time to drive around. The more she practice, the better she'll be in dealing with her phobia. I'm actually impressed that she's willing to put aside her fears just so that she can cater to you." Jessica-unnie's words put a smile on my face.

"Unnie, have you ever felt like maybe sometimes Yuri-unnie is too good for you? Or maybe feeling a little inferior?" I asked.

"Inferior? I've never felt like that. Wae? Do you feel that way towards Eunjin?"

I let out a sigh and shrugged my shoulders. "Honestly, I felt that Eunjin is too good towards me. You yourself said that she was caring and thoughful. Sometimes I feel like a small kid when Eunjin is all matured and wise."

"Eunjin is like that because of her tough background. You have to remember that she had literally no one to turn to as she grows up. Obviously, the way she thinks and look at matters would be way more matured than others."

I nodded my head as I listened to Jessica-unnie's explanation. "Unnie, what exactly is love?"

My question must have been weird since I saw a frown forming on Jessica-unnie's face before she broke into a smile.

"Love is something that can't be define or describe. Basically, only you yourself can determine if what you feel right now is something called love. Your heart will know it without you realising."

"That's so complicated." I whined as I climbed myself onto my bed and sprawled on it. Jessica-unnie did the same and said that the matter was complicated only because I wanted it to be.

"Unnie, when did you and Yuri-unnie start to say the word 'love' to each other?" I asked another question as Unnie showed one of her finger. "In one day? One week? One month?"

Jessica-unnie kept shaking her head before she burst out into laughter. Her actions caused me to pout as I pretended that I was unhappy with her reactions.

"I can't remember the exact time frame but it was within a month. Wae? Don't tell me that you and Eunjin had not declared your feelings for each other?"

It was obvious from Unnie's expression that she was totally surprised when I shook my head to her question. I told her that both of us hadn't actually talked about our feelings for each other but there were times where Eunjin would mention that she liked me. I did told Unnie about the incident earlier when Eunjin asked me if I love meat or her.

"It was so awkward after she asked that question as both of us were literally speechless. I can see that she blurted it out without thinking it through. Then her friend called her on stage to sing."

Jessica-unnie seemed to be in deep thoughts after hearing what I had told her. "Is it because Eunjin had never said it to anyone before? There's no one for her to say it to. She couldn't say 'I love you' to her parents or family members. Anyway, why don't you say it to her first?"

"Mwo? Me?" I sat up and pointed to myself. "Saying I love you out of the blue to her? I don't think I can that."

"Do you love her?"

I blinked my eyes at Unnie's question. The same question that had been bothering me since from the restaurant itself.

"If you love her, it'll come naturally. Don't have to wait for her. Don't have to hold back. I can see that Eunjin really cares about you. It's just that maybe something is holding her back."

Our conversation was interrupted when my phone rang as Eunjin called. Unnie then excused herself to give me some privacy as I answered the call.