The Day

Dust

They went back to the dorm with no single word spoken along the car ride back. One can sense the heartbreak in the air – the despair, the anger, the sadness. None of them dared to make eye contact. None of them was able to make eye contact.

Arriving at the dorm, Seungyoon headed to his room and shut his door, Taehyun took his cigarette and went to the rooftop, and Jinwoo walked to the balcony and sat, eyes empty gazing at Seoul’s sky. Seunghoon was left standing on the corridor. He didn’t know where to go. Some guitar tunes were heard from Seungyoon’s room, playing random songs with major chords, the sound echoed the entire dorm.

Having nowhere to go, Seunghoon brought himself to the kitchen, staring blankly into the fridge, then to the stove, then to the cabinet. Seungyoon’s guitar was playing continuously on A, G, and C chords. Seunghoon walked into the cabinet and the sink. Unconsciously, he took his gray coat off and started taking the clean plates from the cabinet. He opened the faucet and started washing the clean plates. Plates after plates.

Seungyoon’s guitar sound was getting louder and louder.

Mugs after mugs.

Seungyoon’s guitar sounded off.

Glasses after glasses.

Seungyoon’s guitar tunes did not have any chords by now and instead played loud, fast-paced, angry strums.

The plates and mugs again.

Seungyoon inhaled and exhaled loudly.

CRASH! One plate slipped off Seunghoon’s hands into the sink.

Seungyoon let out a loud scream. The sound of his guitar slammed to the floor echoed through the dorm.

The water from the faucet still ran. The plate shattered. Seunghoon's hands were shaking terribly and he soaked them in the sink.

Jinwoo curled up, lying on the balcony floor. Hugging himself, wrapped in the gray hoodie.

The tip of Taehyun’s cigarette burned. Ashes dropping from the cigarrete placed in between his shaking fingers.

Seungyoon’s guitar string snapped.

Silence.

Silence.

Silence.

The rooftop, the balcony, the kitchen and the room became witnesses of the four men in their twenties consumed by dejection.

 

Song Mino is dead. Song Mino is dead and there is nothing they can do to bring his smile back to life. Song Mino is dead and he would never ever come home to this godforsaken dorm.