Final

Harder to Watch

“(Y/N), I’ll be back around 7:30pm. Jun needs to be asleep by 7:00. Thank you so much for watching him.” Your neighbor, and mom’s best friend, said as she rushed out of her front door.

  She had asked you to babysit her 5 year old son, Jun. You were glad to be babysitting him because he was a nice kid.
  After helping your neighbor’s son with his homework, you decided to call your best friend, Jooheon. Jooheon always knew how to cure your boredom and you knew he could help entertain Jun, too.
  You pulled your phone out of your back pocket, pulling up the messaging app. You slowly began to type the message.

To: Jooheon
Wanna help me babysit Jun?

  After waiting for a few minutes, you felt your phone vibrate. You quickly unlocked your screen.

From: Jooheon
Yeah.

  You didn’t care how short the text was, at least you got an answer. You replied a quick, ‘Okay’ before throwing your phone onto the couch. You went upstairs to Jun’s room. He was in the middle of coloring his drawing.

“Jun, are you hungry?” You asked.

“Yes!” He said excitedly.

  You walked down the stairs, startled as Jun ran past you. He ran to the front door instead of the kitchen. You followed him, confused at his behavior. When you got to where the younger had run, you were surprised to see Jooheon.

“I’ve been out here for 5 minutes.” He said, shaking his head.

“Sorry. I forgot I invited you.” You said, chuckling a little.

  You looked up, meeting Jooheon’s narrow eyes.

“Jun, why don’t you go find something you want to eat?” You said, smiling as he nodded and left.

  You and Jooheon walked to the couch where he plopped down as you walked to the kitchen. Helping Jun gather the supplies for sandwiches, you quickly began making a few. You serve Jun, seating him at the table before returning to plop down next to your best friend.

“(Y/N), I am bored~!” He said, displaying a little bit of his aegyo.

“Then do something.” You said, barely sparing him a glance.

  You grinned, hearing him groan at your response. You get up off of the maroon couch. Slightly shuffling your feet against the polished wooden floor, you entered the dining room, checking on Jun before turning back around  to look at Jooheon.

“Wanna go to the park with Jun?” You offered, smiling a bit.

“Sure.” He said standing up and walking past you to the front door.

  You watched his back slowly getting further away from the house.

“Come on, Jun, we’re going to the park.”

  You and Jooheon walked with Jun between the both of you. As soon as the park was in sight, Jooheon began to run, Jun trailing behind him.

“Jooheon’s such a kid.” You turned towards the person who had just came up to you. It was Kihyun, one of your closest friends and your coworker.

“I really wonder who is harder to watch, sometimes.” You said laughing a little.

  Kihyun stayed for a few minutes to chat before beginning to leave. You waved goodbye before turning around to search for Jooheon and Jun. You began to panic upon realizing that they weren’t anywhere in sight. Frantically, you began to search the park.
  As you were walking past a low hedge, you heard little giggles behind it. Quickly, you walked around it to see the two troublemakers crouched and looking over the green bush.

“Seriously, Jooheon?” You said, resting a hand on your hip.

“It was Jun’s idea.” He said, head jerking in the direction of your neighbor’s son.

“No! It was your idea. You said it’d be funny to hide because she was talking to Kihyun.” Jun denied just as quickly as he was accused.

“I said not to say anything, you…” Jooheon’s sentence faded into mumbling. You sighed.

“Come on. Let’s go on the swing set.” You said taking Jun by the hand.

  You watched as Jun ran quickly ahead of you. Then, he tripped, scraping his knee on the sidewalk. You ran to him and crouched down. As the realization came across his face, tears sprang up to his eyes.
  Jooheon ran over a few seconds after, quickly trying to calm the child.

“Kku kku kka kka~” Jooheon exclaimed in a high pitched voice while showing a ‘v’ sign next to his right eye.

  Jun’s face contorted into a mixture of confusion and pain. Then the tears began to roll down his cheeks and he began to make little whines.

“Jeez, Jooheon, I told you your aegyo was scary.” You said, shaking your head.

“Be quiet.” He said before looking up at Jun, “Jun, you wanna go get ice cream?”

“Yes, please.” Jun replied, wiping his cheeks with the backs of his hands.

  Jooheon helped Jun stand, and you smiled, seeing how caring Jooheon’s expression looked. Then he turned towards you, sticking a hand out for you. You took his hand, slightly blushing as he helped you up.
  You, Jooheon, and Jun took a bus going to the nearest ice cream parlor. After choosing a flavor, you and Jun sat down at a table next to the window. Jooheon just finished paying for all of the cones, when he sat down across from you, saying that they would deliver the ice cream to the table.
  You sat and played simple little games that entertained Jun, for a few moments. The waiter, who just so happened to be Minhyuk, smiled at you as he placed the ice cream on the table.

“You look like a happy family!” He said, grinning, all while winking at you.

  You shook your head, smiling softly. Eventually, the three of you finished the ice cream Jooheon had bought. You realized that it was 6:45, shocked, you turned towards Jooheon. You smiled at him, which he returned, his eyes turning into slivers. He had Jun, who was fast asleep, on his back.
  After a short bus trip and walk, you and Jooheon arrived at your neighbor’s house around 7:20. You were quick to put Jun into bed after you had woken him up for him to change into pajamas.
  In a matter of minutes, your mom’s best friend had arrived. She thanked you and paid you, which you were reluctant to accept. You left her house, Jooheon following after you.

“Let’s go for a little walk.” Jooheon said while wrapping his arm around your shoulders.

“Okay.” You said as you stretched, moving closer to him because it was cold.

  You walked around the block before Jooheon stopped in front of your house.

“So, um, today was fun.” He said, not turning around to face you.

“What is it?” You asked, rolling your eyes at his embarrassment.

“Wanna go out?” He said as he turned to you, his narrow eyes full of seriousness.

“Just kidd-” Jooheon began, a look of hurt beginning to show.

“Yes.” You said, smiling brightly at him.

  You both smiled at each other before he pulled you into a hug. Eventually, you pulled away from the hug. You both parted ways, not once letting the smile slip from your lips.