I'd Order You

I'd Order You

Actually, it hadn’t even been his idea in the first place. But he had agreed to it so there wasn't much to do. When the girl who frequently visits the coffee shop Kyungsoo works at, asked him out, he declined the offer without hesitation. His colleague nudged him a little and said something about how one date wouldn’t be that bad. He could get to know her or something. And so Kyungsoo said yes. Maybe she was an amazing person. Maybe they had lots in common, who could possibly know? Or, at least, that was what he told himself when he stepped out of the car and made his way to the doors of the restaurant she had chosen. It was a quite fancy place, with a white outdoor carpet leading to the front entrance, and a guard standing in front of the doors. No matter how cool he tried to keep himself, he couldn’t help but feel nervous. This was his first date since that horrible breakup. Since that day when he promised himself he would never love another human being again, and so he locked himself in, lived for work and his cat that he passionately took care of. But here he was, walking towards those doors, breaking the promise he believed would last a lifetime.

       “Do Kyungsoo,” he said to the guard, who nodded and opened the door, revealing a sparkling white room with chandeliers hanging from the ceiling. There was a faint murmur of voices in the large room and Kyungsoo could almost taste the air. The girl had good taste, he could give her that. He eventually found their table in the crowd, where the girl was already sitting.

       “Hello…-?” he said but her name was gone from his memory. The girl laughed but Kyungsoo could see the flash of pain in her eyes.

       “Hajin. Hi Kyungsoo.” she said and a pale smile appeared on her lips.

       “Ehm, you’re very pretty tonight,” he said with great effort and looked at her fitted dress, but she didn’t seem to notice how stiff he was.

       “Thank you! You’re very handsome as well.”

       And then it got awkwardly quiet. Kyungsoo cleared his throat.

       “Should we order?” he proposed to break the silence.

       “That’s a good idea.”

       Kyungsoo turned around to gesture for a waiter to come, and someone started to move towards their table.

       “What can I get for you?” the waiter asked when he arrived at the table. Kyungsoo was still deeply absorbed into the menu, so Hajin started to make her order.

       “And you, sir?” the waiter said. Kyungsoo looked up to meet his question with his order but when his eyes met the young man’s, his mind went completely blank.

       “Sir?” the man smiled and gave Kyungsoo a questioning glance.

       “Um, yeah, I’d like this one please.” Kyungsoo internally slapped himself and came to his senses.

       “I’ll come in a little while.” the waiter said and disappeared.

       Kyungsoo was all sweaty from the shivers those deep brown eyes had sent down his spine. He turned his attention back to his date and tried to initiate a conversation, without success.

       “Would you like some wine?” a voice behind Kyungsoo said. He turned towards the voice and saw the man stand there with a bottle of wine in his hands.

       “Why not?” Hajin said and rested her elbows on the edge of the table. The waiter leaned forward on Kyungsoo’s left side to pour his glass. Too close. He could feel the faint smell of peach when the man leaned over. If he tilted his head, he was sure he would be able to hear his heartbeat too. Is it as fast as mine? Because Kyungsoo’s heart was racing.  

       As the waiter poured Hajin’s glass, Kyungsoo saw his nametag flash for a second. Kai.

       So his name was Kai. Kyungsoo felt sorry for Hajin who had actually cared enough to ask him out.

       “Kyungsoo.” Hajin said after what had felt like several hours.

       “Mhm.”

       “Are you listening to me?” Hajin firmly said.

       “Yeah, I’m listening to you.”

       “You know, you’re a great guy. But this isn’t working, I don’t feel the chemistry I was hoping to feel with you.” she continued and Kyungsoo sheepishly blinked towards her in confusion.

       “Did I do something wrong?”

       “No, it’s just that I was hoping to feel something. And I’m sorry but I don’t.” Hajin stated. He would have been sad, he really would. But what he felt was relief.

       “But we can still be friends?” he asked: he didn’t want to be on bad terms with her.

       “Sure,” she simply said and picked up her purse. “Can we pay now? I need to go.”

       “Why not, you go, I have to go to the washroom.”

       And she left.

       Kyungsoo paid for the dinner and made his way to the washroom. He bursted in through the door and went over to one of the sinks. The room was, in relation to how other washrooms used to look, rather large, with white, edgy shapes and a grand ceiling painting that was exploding with colours. Splashing water onto his face, he felt like his pulse was calming down a little. Seriously. He looked deep into his own reflection’s eyes and repeated the words like a mantra. Calm down Kyungsoo. Calm down.

       He looked tired and pale. Much more tired and pale than usual, that is.

       The door to the washroom squeaked and someone entered.

       “Rough night?” the man said. And Kyungsoo had stored that voice in his memory so well. Kai.

       “Yeah, she didn’t think we had the 'chemistry' she was searching for.” Kyungsoo choked on his own words but somehow managed to spit them out, still looking into his own eyes to control his heart that just now stopped to give a damn about ‘calming down'.

       “Oh, that’s unfortunate.” Kai's voice said.

       “Not really, I didn’t feel it either.”

       “I guess it’s win-win then.”

       Then it seemed like Kai saw Kyungsoo’s pale face, because he stepped forward.

       “Hey, are you okay?” he asked, his voice filled with concern. Like he cared.

       “Do you think I am?” Kyungsoo asked back and now lifted his gaze and placed it on Kai who shook his head. Kai stepped forward a little further and laid his hand on Kyungsoo’s shoulder.

       “Can I do something?”

       “Can you take your hand off my shoulder?” Kyungsoo breathed between his clenched teeth and bent his head downwards as if it could take the butterflies away.

       “Why?” Kai asked but removed his hand.

       “Because out there just now, I felt something very strange. And I’m scared because I don't think I can’t trust myself.” Kyungsoo tried to beat around the bush but failed ultimately because Kai just raised an eyebrow.

       “And why is that?” Kai said with something hinting in the sound of his voice, snuck a little closer and Kyungsoo could feel something itch inside of him.

       “It can’t possibly be! I met you just now and what would be the odds that you would also feel-”

       “All the odds.” Kai interrupted and in one single swift movement, he was standing in front of Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo in fact didn't get any time to react before Kai pressed his warm lips against Kyungsoo's.

       And so the world exploded into colourful fireworks, blossoming like flowers in late spring, filling the air with something Kyungsoo couldn't quite put his finger on. But he liked it. A lot.

       "Maybe you should go on a date with me instead?" Kai said when he pulled away after what had felt like hours.

       "Maybe I should."Kyungsoo echoed, still tipsy from the euphoria that had just embraced his whole being.

       "Hey, I need to go back to work, I'll see you some time." Kai noted and winked to Kyungsoo, who in his turn blushed. Maybe this dinner hadn't been that bad after all.

       As Kyungsoo made his way out through the doors, he dug around in his pockets for his car keys, but instead a small yellow post-it note fell out. Kyungsoo bent down and picked it up and looked at the sloppy scribbles and soon realised that it was in fact digits for a phone number. He threw a glance towards where the waiters were standing, among one of them was the man he had just kissed this night. That man in question noticed the sudden attention he had suddenly received, and rose his hand with three fingers bent in towards his palm, and the little finger and thumb stretched out, respectively connected to his mouth and his ear. Kyungsoo laughed quietly at the silly gesture, and went out the doors with a shining smile on his lips.


I've finally finished my first one-shot ever! Yay!

I hope you enjoyed reading it~

Stay awesome everyone <3