Again We Go!

Grapes Of The Same Bunch Stick Together

 

 

 

The first thing that hits Chan when he wakes up is darkness. 

 

And moving. So much bloody moving.

 

He also realises that he cannot feel his hands at all nor his feet and he feels as if his hair is gripping onto something, viciously at that. Then it hits him. 

 

I’m a grape, of course I don’t have hands. 

 

The paper bag he’s in is making him dizzy and he doesn’t remember any of the grapes around him. This is because he got dropped once and somewhere near the top of his shiny purplish head lies an indentation - something human’s call a bruise. Because of this ‘bruise’ he can never remember anything that happened the day before but he figures that’s alright. 

 

He’ll get eaten someday, anyway. 

 

He wriggles around a bit, checking whether he’s become overripe enough to drop off but he doesn’t and he feels happy because he’s still young. 

 

“Will you cut that out,” a grape groans out and Chan looks up to find a grape about his size glaring at him through hazy eyes. 

 

“Where am I?” Chan squeaks out, and as if upon realising the snappy grape that was glaring at him widens his eyes in disbelief, “GUYS WE GOT CHOSEN, GUYS WAKE UP!” 

 

The said grape wriggled around until the other grapes woke up with groans. 

 

“What is it Soonyoung?” a grape that Chan cannot see croaks out, his voice filled with barely any vigour. 

 

The snappy grape wriggles more, putting more intensity on the situation, “WE ARE GETTING EATEN!”

 

All the grapes suddenly yell out in pure horror and shake furiously except for Chan who still does not remember a thing, “Hey? Can someone tell me what’s going on?” 

 

The bag turns silent when suddenly a voice right next to him starts to speak, “Hi I’m Seungkwan and we are friends but you probably don’t remember that.”

 

The grape - Seungkwan - looks all polished and rather cute for a grape, his smile looks wide and his teeth are nice so Chan smiles at the sight of them. Seungkwan bumps him lightly, something grapes do when they get friendly with each other. 

 

Suddenly from what seems like above, non-stop sobbing erupts and it shatters Chan’s heart instantly from how sad they sound. It’s from one of those small grapes at the top of the thin twine keeping them all together. Next to the small grape, a big grape (bigger than Chan) is comforting it by whispering to it and bumping it lightly. 

 

“Why are they crying?” Chan asks to no one in particular, still staring at the two hopeless grapes. 

 

The grape addressed as Soonyoung sighs, “Because the bigger grape, Seungcheol, is falling off soon and the smaller grape, Jihoon, is in love with him.” 

 

“But falling off is great! You can roll around, see people clearly, go around the bowl we’ll be put in - it’s great!” Chan exclaims with a cheerful smile on his face, which only makes Jihoon sob louder.

 

“Chan, we will all fall off or get eaten eventually, but Jihoon never will because he’s too small to fall off by himself and let’s be real,” Seungkwan pauses to make sure Jihoon is sobbing loud enough not to hear the next thing he says: 

 

“No one likes eating small grapes like that, no one.”

 

Chan feels sad and he suddenly feels like being indented completely so that when the humans are done with the grapes, they would throw out Chan and Jihoon together. 

 

Next to Seungkwan, another grape voices out, “Hi I’m Mingyu.”

 

This grape is HUGE, huger than any other grape he’s ever seen. The grape, although abnormally big, is perfectly sculpted in a way and isn’t too polished nor too matted. He looks, in other words, like an attractive grape. 

 

Mingyu smiles and looks downwards, “That’s Jeonghan.”

 

Jeonghan on the other hand, is hands down the most beautiful grape he’s ever seen; perfectly shaped and polished up, his eyes twinkle and the juice from his inside looks somehow transparent - as if his purple skin is made out of transparent silk, “Hi Chan, two days ago you offended me but I forgive you now because you don’t remember it anyway.”

 

Jeonghan says this with a drowsy smile before looking away, continuing his life as a harmless grape. 

 

Mingyu clears his throat again and looks upwards this time, “And this is Jisoo.”

 

It’s not Jisoo’s smile which catches Chan’s eye but more of the big hole at one of his sides, “What happened to you?” 

 

This question makes Jisoo smile, “A few weeks ago I took out my seeds so I would never have offspring. It was a hard decision but I wanted to follow the footsteps of Jesus.” 

 

He smiles serenely and nods at Chan with the demeanour of a father. 

 

There is a sudden bump from his other side now, and two other grapes come into view, “Hi I’m Seokmin, and whenever I sing juice squirts out from the birthmark I have! Watch,” Seokmin reaches a needle sharp note and juice, indeed, splashes Chan’s face. 

 

“But won’t that just make you deflated?” Chan asks incredulously and it makes Seokmin shrug, dismissing the subject all together. 

 

The grape above the vocalist smiles timidly at Chan, “Hi my name is Minghao, and I love being a grape.”

 

Chan thinks that Minghao’s smile is diamond-like because it’s precious and small, sort of insecure all at once - but he once heard to never judge a book by it’s cover.

 

“I know you can’t see me but my name is Junhui and I’m Minghao’s boyfriend.”

 

As if on cue, Minghao huffs in distaste, “Junhui, I told you it won’t work. Look at those two lovegrapes sobbing their hearts out.”

 

The sobs from Jihoon and Seungcheol increase in volume. 

 

“Still love you babe!”

 

Minghao dry heaved silently before another grape was introducing himself, “I’m Wonwoo and my purple skin is very dark compared to the other’s but I assure you that I’m not overripe at all!” 

 

Chan nods to himself, “That’s nice to know! I would love to see your colour!” 

 

Before Chan can say anything else he feels Seungkwan bumping him, “Don’t you notice someone else?” the said grape looks downwards towards Chan’s lower grape body before his eyes land on something that isn’t apart of Chan. There’s another grape there.

  

The grape looks dazed, his smile is a simple one and he looks slightly dopey but Chan can literally feel the seeds trying to escape his core. 

 

“I’m Hansol, you saved my memory by taking that bruising fall for me.” Hansol smiles wider at the bruise on Chan’s head. 

 

“I’m attracted to you for some reason.” Chan blatantly says, expecting to catch Hansol off-guard but the grape does not say anything, nodding as a response. 

 

“We are dating.”

 

Chan’s smile is so wide he can swear the juice from his inside will just squeeze out before suddenly they are being placed onto something hard and foreign. 

 

“We’ve stopped moving.” Soonyoung says, making the whole bag fill up with whispers and worries. 

 

The bag, from the top, is suddenly opened and the next few seconds is a blur to Chan because all he can remember is that the bowl he is placed in is white with a big sunflower on it, like the ones he used to know before he got the bruise on his head. He doesn’t know how long ago that was but, it is a nice memory.

 

All the grapes start screaming for their dear lives, and the only ones who are crying hysterically are Jihoon and Seungcheol.

 

Big footsteps pound against the floor and suddenly children appear in front of them. 

 

“Hey Chan, for all it is worth, I would have reproduced with you if you were a female grape plant.” Hansol says from below and Chan smiles at him with so much adoration it makes his insides hurt. 

 

“Thank you.”

 

Suddenly the little children sit down around them and to everyone’s surprise, the little girl takes Jihoon first, “this one is super cute!” 

 

As Jihoon is being plucked off the branch, he’s smiling so wide as all the other grapes cheer for him, “I will never forget you Sengcheol!”

 

Chew. Scream. Done. Next grape.

 

When it’s finally Chan’s turn he smiles because he knows he won’t remember any of this tomorrow morning.