Chapter 1 - The Accident

Choices

I felt an uneasy tug at my heart. The pelting raindrops fell in a regular rhythm. “I should probably do some shopping to get Christmas gifts for Baro and his family. And some of my good friends... Now, what should I get?” I pondered while peering at the shops through my car window. I arrived in Korea a few days ago. I didn’t bring much clothes to Korea because my company was giving me funds to buy new ones. That’s why I was shopping madly a while ago.

I guess working overseas is really good since they were giving funds for this and that. And they even gave me a new car. I had a week to tour around Korea before reporting to the company. Just then, my phone rang with the words ‘오빠’ flashing on the screen. I smiled to myself. Ever since my family died when I was 9, I was taken in by my neighbours, the Cha family. Having grown up more than half my life with them and their child, Baro(who is a year older than me), I grew close to them. My strong friendship with Baro turned into something even more 4 years ago. We became a couple.

“Oppa! What took you so long to call?” I answered the phone with a giggle. I drove with one hand on the steering wheel and the other gripping on the phone. He talked about how busy he was and that he had no time to call me. “I’m going to be really busy for the next few months. I don’t think I can contact you, but I’ll try my best ok?” My heart sank when he said that. I mumbled a ‘fine’. The truth was that it wasn’t fine at all! I slammed my phone down angrily and flung it away. I didn’t care. After all, my company would give me money to buy a new one.

I drove speedily, although not exceeding the speed limit. As I was turning to the left at the corner of the road, a little puppy dashed across the road. I jammed on the brakes and swerved to the left. The car skidded for a few metres before crashing onto a tree. My head banged onto something hard at the back. I felt blood oozing down my face. I placed both my hands on my head and cringed in pain. I realized the presence of warm liquid trickling down my hands. I looked at it--a bright red.

My sight started to blur. I tried to open my eyes wide to see the surroundings clearly. The next thing I knew, was that it all went black. I could hear a voice fading in my mind. And slowly, it was nothingness.

I winced slightly. My eyes fluttered open and saw an angelic face staring straight at me. The voices became clear again. “Doctor! She’s awake.” “Are you okay?” The doctor entered the room and rushed by my side. I manged to nod slightly.The doctor continued,  “I’m glad you came to. We thought we were going to lose you when you fell into a vegetative state. What’s your name?” I searched the corners of my brain. “Jung... Yoo.. erm... Mi... Christina? No no, it’s Kristine. Jung Yoo Mi, Kristine. That’s my name.”

“Do you remember your family members?”

“Family?” I searched deeper. I couldn’t remember. “I... I don’t remember.”

“What else do you remember?” What else I remember... what else... what else? I thought harder, and managed to remember my age. “I’m 20... eh no, 21. I think I’m 21. Yup. I’m 21, doctor.”

“And?” He prompted me to continue. I closed my eyes and strained all my brain juice to think. My head ached badly. I can’t remember. Huh? I can’t remember anything! Tears started streaming down my cheeks. “I believe you suffer from amnesia.” His words rang repeatedly in my mind. Amnesia. Amnesia. AMNESIA!

“D-doc..torr...” I muttered incoherently, “When will I regain my memories?” I looked at him hopefully. He looked a bit uneasy. “It could take days or it could take years. Or worst still, you might not regain your memories at all.” I burst into tears again. “Don’t worry and rest well. You will be discharged from the hospital in a week.” It was then that I saw the guy again. Yup. The same guy with the handsome face and flawless features. The guy with a sweet, melodious voice.

“Don’t cry.” He awkwardly hugged me and wiped my tears away with the back of his hand. . A smile managed to creep up my face. “There, you look prettier when you smile.” I blushed. This guy is a terribly sweet guy. “Uhh... Do I know you? Or um, who are you?”

“I was the one who  took you to the hospital. By the way, your clothes were retrieved.” He pointed to the pile of shopping bags that was stacked at the corner. I nodded meekly. “Where do you live at?” He asked me. I frowned and thought deeply again. He noticed my eyebrows ceasing and immediately added, “Uh, you can’t remember?”

“No impression.” Suddenly, his phone rang. He went out to answer the phone. When he came in again, he said, “I’ll visit you again. Gotta go now!” He took his things and left. I lied down on the bed and stared at the ceiling. Soon, I drifted off to sleep. It felt like only minutes when the sun’s rays entered my eyes. I blinked.

“Morning pretty girl! You sure slept well. 13 hours straight,” that same handsome guy said. He continued,”Here, I brought you some porridge to eat! I wanted to cook it for you but I was afraid I would miss watching you waking up and immediately give you this! So I just bought it. Sorry.” I reached out and patted him on the head. He was so sweet! He put it on the table beside me and said,”Be careful! Your hands were injured badly, especially your right hand. Let me feed you.” My heart beat wildly. He was going to feed me! He took a spoonful of the steaming hot porridge and blew it softy to cool it down a little and after that feeding me! After I finished my meal, I asked him,”What’s your name?” He smiled and replied in the same melodious voice, “I’m Kim Jonghyun.” I nodded as I lay my head back. Kim Jonghyun. Kim Jonghyun. He was so cute.

“You’re not going to go back to sleep right?” Jonghyun asked, curious. I shook my head and turned to him. He was cleaning the room up. As he opened the door with the empty container which once contained porridge, he said, “I’ll be right back! Don’t go anywhere!” I giggled.

Everyday, Jonghyun would come visit me in the morning and only leave at night. Occasionally, he got calls and told me that he had to leave. I really did not mind but it seemed so boring. He did give me some magazines and DVDs to occupy myself when I had nothing to do. But what are those compared to a hearty chat? When Jonghyun was around, he would make me laugh with his humour and cheer me up with his comforting. He was the guy that every girl looked for. He was the guy that every girl yearned for.

The week went by so quick.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Authors' Note ---------------------------------------------

So hi! Our first FanFic! Hope you like it! :)

Took us a few hours to write this!

We are currently working on the second chapter ~

Do wait patiently! :)

 

-- Lina and Mika ♥