Fin.

Sweaters

“So cold…”

He chuckles at the sight of her curled up in front of the fireplace, small hands over the fire.

“You’re sitting by a warm, crackling fire.”

The flames leap, at her delicate skin, but she does not retract her hands.

“Who cares? I’m still cold.”

Without saying a word, he pulls off his thick red sweater and tosses it to her.

“WHAT THE NO!”

Unfortunately, his aim was a bit off, and the sweater lands in the fire.

“OH MY GOD!”

She grabs a nearby cup of water and empties it upon the roaring fire.

“MOVE AWAY!”

He dumps a full glass pitcher of drinking water onto the flames, dousing them with a loud sizzle.

“Oh god…”

She shakes, shoulders trembling, but he realizes with a start that she is actually laughing.

“What…?”

He stands shocked as she falls onto the rug, giggling like a little girl.

“It’s so… funny!” she gasps, rolling away from the smoking fireplace.

He bends down to pick up his ruined sweater.

“I liked this sweater…” he mutters with a pout.

And indeed, before it had been burnt, it was a dark ruby red with forest green pine trees in front.

“I-I’ll buy you another one,” she breathes, trying not to burst into laughter again.

He looks at her, then at the sweater.

“I have more,” he decides, taking her into his arms. “Come with me.”

She’s controlled herself by now, and follows him into the dark bedroom.

“Revealing my personal collection of dorky sweaters,” he announces, flipping the light switch.

The entire room is filled with stacks of multicolored wool, rainbowing across the floor.

“Choose your pick,” he prompts, grabbing a navy blue for himself.

Suddenly, she throws her arms around him.

“You nerd,” she mutters, face buried in his neck.

He only laughs and holds her close, breathing in the scent of her strawberry shampoo.

“I know you love me.”