the definition of real love

on my way to believing (my only exception)

"who says true love is real?"

 


 

 

 

"wearing the glass slipper, cinderella was brought to the prince. they married not too long after that, and they lived happily ever after."

a dreamy smile graces yeri's lovely features, but jungkook merely scoffs and turns away. he's never liked the phrase 'happily ever after'. in fact, he thinks it's one of the stupidest things to exist.

yeri seems to notice jungkook's behavior, and she raises her eyebrows questioningly in that cute way of hers(jungkook denies any fluttering in his heart). "what's wrong?" she inquires.

jungkook wrinkles his nose. "fairy tales are stupid," he says bluntly.

he half expects her to be offended, but she's not- which makes him slightly surprised. instead, she calmly queries him again. "why not?"

"they're unrealistic. i can't believe people actually think they'll have a fairytale romance."

"it's because fairytale romance is what everyone thinks is ideal, though. everyone wants a happily ever after in a relationship, in life. everyone believes there's someone who'll be their true love."

"i don't." jungkook says truthfully.

yeri looks thoughtful instead of shocked(if she's surprised, then she's doing a pretty good job of hiding it, jungkook thinks.), and once again, she asks him a question. "why not?"

"because it doesn't exist. 'happily ever after' refers to being content and joyful forever. there is no forever, no eternity, not in anything. life doesn't work that way. you see it everywhere, lovers and married couples speak of forever. they convince themselves that a forever exists, even if it doesn't.

"it's not just romantic love, but all love and relationships. some people just don't want to admit that a forever doesn't exist, and will never exist; they indulge in the delusions that happiness will remain with them forever. and when that happiness departs, they blame it on the world, on everything around them, when they've been the ones convincing themselves of an illusion. the same goes for true love.

"in fact, it doesn't exist. true love is just a concept and ideal, supposed to last forevermore. ideals aren't always real, and in this case, they're not. every relationship you start is bound to end somehow, or break at the pressure point. i don't understand why people cry when they break up with their significant others, it was predetermined at some point anyway."

yeri raises her eyebrows. "that might just be the most straightforward and honest opinion about love that i've ever seen."

jungkook snorts. "nice way to put it, really. people prefer to call me cynical and pessimistic."

"no, seriously. it's interesting to hear a thought that's not like the usual majority's," she gives him a genuine smile which he's not sure how to react to. "so, you don't indulge in any sort of relationship, romantic or platonic?"

"i do keep some relations that could be counted as platonic, including you and me, but i doubt i keep too much meaning in them."

 

most people would be offended, but jungkook's uncommon perceptions peak her interest. "but everyone needs some sort of love or care. no one is truly on their own in this world."

"i've gotten used to the isolation."

he speaks as if he's talking about the weather, but yeri hears a ghost of bitterness concealed under the layers of indifference. he's always been incredibly realistic on the topic of love, whether it be a simple friendship or a long-lasting relationship. sometimes, she's fascinated how he even considers her a friend.

"jungkook, no one likes to be alone. it's the truth."

"a common misconception. some people do like their solitude."

"just because you like to be alone doesn't mean you want to be lonely."

he pauses, and she sees his composure waver. she's now sure that there's something, some kind of reason for his thoughts.

"well, you've said your opinion, i'll say mine. care to hear?" jungkook shrugs. she takes it as a yes.

"there's nothing incorrect about what you say, logically. and i like your realistic view on this. people do tend to believe in forever when it comes to any sort of relationship, because they feel blissful in the comfort and safety their loved ones bring them. it's natural for a human to want to be loved and happy. the emotions cloud their grasp on what might happen eventually, and they convince themselves that the happiness will last forever. and when it doesn't, their world crumbles down, and the clouds obstructing their realistic senses fade. that's when they meet the truth.

"but people still look for love, even though it won't be forever. because they crave for the elation. that's why they eventually grow to not care about the ending, as long as they're happy in the moment. they'll face the finishing point when they have to, and start a new beginning when the time is right. 

"true love doesn't have to be forever. just because one relationship lasts longer than another doesn't mean it's always better- it's not about the time, not the forever. it's about the connection, the new chances to feel something that you may have never felt before. that's why people risk it, even if they're giving someone the opportunity to hurt them. is it worth it? they'll be able to answer at the end. the end of a relationship doesn't mean it was all a waste of time. you mature and learn by being in a relationship and getting over one. 

"i think that's the beautiful part of life. we indulge in love, in friendships, in relationships, even though it won't always be there forever. it's the perfection and sheer bliss of the moment that makes us willing to start something new over and over again. everyone almost always thinks that an 'end' of something good automatically means bad things will come. but it all depends on how you think. after all, when one door closes, so many others open.

"i don't think you really, truly want to remain alone. after all, no one does. honestly, i think you crave love just as much as anyone else. but from your comments, it's not hard to figure out you're keeping your guard up to prevent that from happen. you're keeping a distance from anyone who may break your invisible barrier, because then they'll have the chance to hurt you and make you experience the heartache; they'll make you vulnerable. you don't want that to happen, ever, so that's why you refuse to believe in true love and convince isolation is the best solution. 

"you're afraid of opening up, you probably believe you're exposing yourself and making yourself a target. but it's okay to be afraid. everyone is, when facing something foreign, something that could possibly scar them."
 

 

yeri finishes, and jungkook is speechless. he's pretty sure his mouth is slightly hanging open. but he remains silent, lost in his web of complicated perspectives and realizations she brought upon him.

"i don't think you suddenly realized that on your own, though. there must have been some kind of catalyst. would you mind if i asked?"

the boy doesn't reply.

he's exploring different notions in his head, in his own world. her outlook is strangely refreshing; it's raw, honest and true to its core. she's not timid when it comes to speaking of her true opinion. jungkook admits that it's an admirable quality...and also attractive.

but most of all, he's astonished how well she's able to believe the cycle of relationships as a part of life's allure. he was pretty sure that not many saw the end of a relationship, platonic or romantic, to be a divine beginning of something else. she surprises him.

she, on the other hand, probably hopes he doesn't feel offended by her remarks and deductions- even though he won't be. but she surely wonders why and how he came to nurture such an objective view void of any traces of emotion.

 

"my parents divorced when i was twelve."

 

he's sure his face is still blank, but his voice shakes ever so slightly. he's never told this under his own will, unless it's fished out by some nosy parker. 

"what was the reason?" yeri asks softly. 

he shrugs. "never really got around to that. all i remember is they were alright when i was younger. then suddenly, they were always fighting over something, regardless of big or small. then one blew up too bad. i ended up witnessing my dad crying. he thought no one could see him, but i did. my mom refused to ever forget about whatever it was that happened, and she tried to convince me that he was a freak. thinking of it, i was scared as hell of them.

"and then they announced the divorce. i guess that's when everything hit me. i was too naive to accept it at the moment, i blamed everything on the world and everyone else. it was stupid. but everything was clear after that. reality is harsh, love is harsh. love never lasts. but that's how it all is. we can't do anything about it."

he's incredibly vulnerable at the moment, and he acknowledges it fully. jungkook expects the usual, half-hearted 'i'm sorry to hear that' and 'it's okay'. but she shatters his beliefs once again. instead of speaking, she scoots forward and hugs him.

he freezes, and his brain stops processing all the complex and distorted thoughts in his head. he can't bring himself to move- not even a small shift. yeri seems to notice his rigidity, and she pats his back.

"that's not true," she responds quietly. "it depends on what you do and believe in. by changing your mind, you can change everything."

the tied, chained ball of distrust and desolation dissolves at her words of wisdom. jungkook feels something wet roll down his cheeks, something saline in its taste. he grasps onto the truth at last, and watches the liquid remains of himself during the past six years stain the floor.

 

jeon jungkook has never met someone who's truly touched his heart, but kim yeri may just be the only exception.

 

 

 

 

 oh my god this was supposed to be fluff but it turned so serious wtf iM SO SORRY OH GOD 
and the ending was so sudden and bad i'm sorry ;n; 

but pls ship jungri- (!!!)
god i love sliceoflife fics they make me emotional and stuff ;