Being a Third Wheel Isn’t Bad

Being a Third Wheel Isn’t Bad

HONK! HONK!

“Just wait for a sec!!!” She exclaimed even if she knew that the person who came to fetch her didn’t even hear her voice.

She had just finished dressing up when she heard the sound of a car horn. As she’s ready with a white printed tee along with a pair of denim shorts, she grabbed her bag, got out of her house and didn’t forget to lock the entry door. Her excitement changed as soon as her eyes met two pairs of eyes who were waiting for her inside the car.

“Unnie, come on. Get in! What are you waiting for?” Eun Hye spoke from inside her boyfriend’s car.

“Song Ji Hyo! It’s been a while, how are you? Let’s have fun together today!” Kim Jong Kook also greeted her from the driver seat.

Ji Hyo’s expression changed from being ecstatic to be surprised and confused with the view in front of her. But she finally got in the car. “Hi, you two! Yah, Kim Jong Kook! I thought you’ll be busy this week as Eun Hye told me that some of your artists will make a comeback soon.”

“Eun Hye persuaded me, so I agreed to join. I need some refreshment. I couldn’t even breathe anymore last night in the recording studio.”

Eun Hye turned her body to face Ji Hyo who’s sitting at the back. “I sometimes pity him being a music producer. You know, Unnie, it’s hard for us to meet anytime as we want.”

Jong Kook took a glance at Ji Hyo by looking through the auto-dimming rearview mirror, he smirked. “It seems like you’re unhappy knowing that Eun Hye brings me along, huh?”

Ji Hyo gave him an awkward laugh. “Of course not. I was just a bit surprised as I thought it would only be a “date” of Eun Hye and I.”

“Unnie, just please bear with us only for today as it’s been a while since our last meeting, right Oppa?” Eun Hye said with a happy expression that would impossibly get ruined by Ji Hyo’s disappointment. She took a lunch box from her bigger-sized bag, opened it, and took a slice of kimbap to feed Jong Kook who’s focusing on the road. “Oppa, is it delicious?” Jong Kook happily chewed it and nodded, she became more excited to feed him more kimbap.

Ji Hyo saw the romantic couple in front of her eyes and let out a bitter sigh. If she knew that she would only be the third wheel like that, she’d definitely choose to stay at home and sleep. Eun Hye turned her body around to offer some kimbap to Ji Hyo as well, but Ji Hyo refused it as she wasn’t hungry.

It took around 35 minutes from Ji Hyo’s place to finally arrive at the amusement park. The two lovebirds were walking ahead when entering the park, while Ji Hyo walked with her arms folded in front of her chest. She preferred to walk alone behind them even though Eun Hye already invited her to walk next to her.

Looking at how clingy Eun Hye to her boyfriend was, she felt like being abandoned. She was disappointed since she truly remembered how Eun Hye whined on the phone four days ago, asking her to go to amusement park on Saturday. Moreover, Ji Hyo actually wanted to tell the younger everything she’d been feeling for the last five months since she moved to her new workplace. She just couldn’t understand why Eun Hye should bring her boyfriend when she already made a promise with her in the first place. It’s the risk of being single, she thought.

 


 

“Jae Suk Hyung, let’s go to amusement park! It must be fun! Byul’s going out with her friend and Dream’s in Byul’s parents’ home, then…we should have a ‘date,’ Hyung,” Ha Ha enthusiastically spoke when coming out of his room.

“Only the two of us? No, no! I’m not picking you up to go to the amusement park.” Jae Suk smirked unbelievably. “It’s weekend, Ha Ha. There must be a bunch of young couples enjoying their dates, isn’t it weird for two middle-aged men went to such a place?”

“I’m not a middle-aged man. Ahh, this hyung. Why are you complaining even though you don’t have anyone else to go with on this weekend?”

“I’m not complaining. It’s just… why it should be amusement park? There’s another place to visit. We could enjoy some coffee in the hot coffee shop and—“

The younger shut him up with his hand, dragged him to get out of his house and get in Jae Suk’s car immediately. It seemed like the older was kidnapped as Jae Suk kept struggling to get rid of Ha Ha’s hand from his mouth.

“You need some refreshment, Hyung,” Ha Ha said while wearing the seatbelt. “You’re working too hard every day. You even barely talk about women.”

“Men should always work hard, Ha Ha,” he reasoned.

Ha Ha gave his hyung a laugh. “Yeah, that’s true, Hyung. But it’s not about working and getting money anymore if you already reach your 40s. You need to get married soon, have children and live your life happily.”

The older’s gaze was narrowed as he stared at Ha Ha before starting the car. “Are you nagging me now?”

“I’m not nagging you, Hyung. I just remind you to get a girlfriend soon and get married. Just like me.” Jae Suk didn’t say word, then Ha Ha continued, “When will you confess to her?”

Ha Ha’s sudden question made Jae Suk immediately turned his gaze from the road to Ha Ha. “What are you talking about?”

“Aish, Hyung… I’m talking about Song Ji Hyo, your secretary. Don’t try to fool me because I know you so well that you’re falling in love with her,” he teased and guffawed.

“It’s not like what you think, Ha Ha…”

Just then, Ha Ha’s phone was buzzing, it’s from his wife when he glanced over to the screen. “Yeobo? What happened? What? I’m with Jae Suk Hyung right now, heading to the amusement park. Okay, okay! We’ll fetch you now! Alright. See you.” He hung up and asked Jae Suk to make a U-turn in order to fetch her wife somewhere.

 “What is it? Did something happen?” Jae Suk started to panic a bit.

“No, Hyung. It’s just my wife told me to fetch her since her friend has another thing to take care of. Are you alright if it’s the three of us going to the amusement park?”

“Well, it seems like I have no choice.”

 


 

Ji Hyo and Eun Hye walked out of a toilet together, but when the younger’s going to go ahead back to her boyfriend, the older held on to the sleeve of Eun Hye’s tee. The younger was surprised and turned his head to Ji Hyo. She raised her brows with the expression of “what’s going on?” without uttering any words.

“I ever said that…umm…I want to tell you about someone in my workplace, right?” Ji Hyo uttered hesitantly.

Eun Hye blinked while putting her index finger on her lips, tapping them lightly as recalling what Ji Hyo meant. “Aaa, is it about your boss?”

Ji Hyo looked down and gave a small nod. “Umm, I’m not sure if I’m really fall—“

“Ah, you two are here! What took you two so long? Here, I bought ice creams for both of you,” Jong Kook handed a chocolate chip ice cream to her girlfriend and another ice cream with peach flavor to Ji Hyo.

“T-thanks—“ Ji Hyo was about to continue talking with Eun Hye, but Jong Kook had already embraced and dragged her away, making Ji Hyo frowned.

 


 

“Why am I here?” Jae Suk said to himself and let out a harsh breath seeing Ha Ha and Byul were arm in arm, like in their own world. He decided to walk away from them and make his way to one of the cafes there.

Ji Hyo who’s in similar situation, intentionally avoided her two friends rather than sticking with them and feeling frustrated all the time. She had finished her ice cream and wandered aimlessly in the crowd. She was surprised when she bumped into someone just when she’s about to enter a café. She’s more dumbfounded when finding out that the one she accidentally met was someone that she knew well for the last five months.

“Mr. Yoo?”

“Song Ji Hyo!”

Both Ji Hyo and Jae Suk’s eyes widened and spoke together at the same time.

“Eyy, no need to use a formal address when we’re outside the workplace. Just call me ‘oppa’ instead. Let’s drop the formalities. Go in first?” he motioned her gently to enter the cafe.

Both ended up sitting together in one table and enjoyed their coffee and desserts. “Did you come here alone?” Jae Suk initiated the conversation.

Ji Hyo shook her head and then rested her chin on her palm. “I’m actually here with my friends and they’re lovers, so…there’s no need to go along with them as they even seemed to be forgetting me,” she let out a mirthless laugh.

Jae Suk, who was in the same position as hers, raised his brows when taking a sip of his coffee. “Wow, we’re in the same boat,” he chuckled.

“Really? Did you also come here with your friends?”

“Uh-huh, and they’re a married couple. You could imagine the situation, right?”

Ji Hyo couldn’t bear her chortle after imagining how hapless Jae Suk was. “I’m—I’m sorry, Oppa,” she continued to laugh. “I know what you feel.”

“So… what about us have our own ‘date’?” Jae Suk couldn’t take his gaze off of her. But, he immediately looked down when Ji Hyo suddenly looked him in the eyes with a surprised facial expression. “Well, it’s okay if you don’t—“

Ji Hyo got up from her seat excitedly, putting her hand on his arm and exclaimed, “Let’s go, Oppa!”

Both started to explore the zoo area by going to the dark forest, taking a safari trip, watching sea lions and penguins’ interactions, spending time in the polar bear house, and visiting adorable housed pet dogs. They also experienced indoor attraction, like hunting ghosts in a mansion as well as the upside-down house. Jae Suk and Ji Hyo really excitedly enjoyed the rides and attractions that were considered ‘safe,’ like riding bumper car and carousel, since Jae Suk had a fear of height.

After having so much fun, Jae Suk and Ji Hyo made their way to one of the restaurants, still in the amusement park area, to fill their stomach while the sky’s getting darker. Ji Hyo’s phone kept ringing but she ignored it right away as she knew who’s calling. Jae Suk was also busy checking out his phone that was full of miscalls and text messages appear on the screen which were all from Ha Ha, but he didn’t care.

Both happily enjoyed and finished their meals. Jae Suk looked at Ji Hyo who’s busy with her phone. He wanted to say something, but she didn’t pay attention to him. Once Ji Hyo put her phone in her bag, Jae Suk took that opportunity to grab and hold her hand, making the younger in surprise.

“Ji Hyo… Thank you for today. I mean, yes, it’s true that we meet by chance, but I’m happy to spend the whole day with you.” There’s a pause before he continued, “I’d like you to know that I feel absolutely comfortable being around you and… I’ve started to like you more now. Do you want to go out for dinner with me tomorrow?”

Jae Suk’s words sent a blush to her cheeks and made her heart skip a beat. With a shy smile, Ji Hyo answered, “That sounds great, Oppa,” making Jae Suk’s face lit up as his smile went wide.

 


 

“She doesn’t even tell us about her current position now. I bet she’s upset with us,” Jong Kook concluded while resting her chin on the steering wheel.

Eun Hye kept trying to call Ji Hyo. “Is she home yet? Is it alright for us to go home now? Arghhh, come on, Unnie, pick it up!”

“Let’s wait for another 15 minutes as it’s getting dark outside,” Jong Kook suggested.

 

“Jae Suk oppa hasn’t picked up or replied the messages?” Ha Ha answered his wife by shaking his head with eyes sticking to his phone. “Yeobo, let’s go home. He must be home right now,” Byul dragged her husband to get up from his seat after finishing their meals in the different restaurant.

But, Ha Ha started to dial Jae Suk’s number again while whining, “Hold on, Yeobo, please.... Let me try calling him one more time. It’s better if we could get a free ride, Yeobooo.”

 

-*-*-*-

 


A/N: Although I couldn't find any better title, the plot’s slightly different and there’s no much fluff, I hope this is good enough. Thank you for reading~ :D I had thought about making the sequel, but I was discouraged.