What she has, what he wants

Killing Butterflies

 

Himae’s the proclaim ‘princess’ of the school. She didn’t call herself that, the people did, the students did. She was unhappy with the title but without it, she’s nothing. She could only fake laughter and force smiles to live up to her title.

 

Junhyung’s labelled as the ‘reject’ of the school. Just because he got the chance to be on TV, a chance for everyone to envy him, and ultimately, he threw it away. He still loves the stage after his departure so he musters the courage to audition and made it. He’s going to prove his title wrong. 

 

Thanks to her parents’ opulence, she’s climbing the social leader at school. She’s the one that everyone talks about, looks at and envies. She dances ballet and is one of the top dancers in the company. She likes ballet but doesn’t want it dictating her life. When her driver drives her home, she climbs the heavy stairs to land on her oversize bed. She’s tired from pretending and sleep’s an immediate effect.

 

Thanks to Junhyung’s hard work, he’s climbing the trainee system at the company. He’s one of the more likely ones to debut. He develops the ability to rap and he finds his charisma from within. He loves performing and would do it again and again in his next life. When he gets home from the late night bus, he enters his house and hears the squeaks of the stairs. He’s tired from practicing but he sleeps with a smile.

 

Himae eventually stops feeling because she simply doesn’t know what to feel. Happy? Proud? Of what though? Of being one of the most influential figures at school? Of being one of the top dancers in the company? Being the daughter of two famous business people? Having people throw compliments and she’s force to bashfully reject them to show her modesty, telling them they’re too nice? She’s unhappy.

 

Junhyung knows happiness is at the tip of his tongue. He can almost taste it. He feels happy, proud that he’s gone this far. He’s proud of auditioning. Of being one of the top trainees due to sheer hard work. Of being so close to reaching his dreams. He feels content with hearing his instructors comment on how well he’s improving, how hard he’s working and how close his dream is. He’s happy, so happy.

 

Himae opens her eyes to make up, curling iron, straighteners, and the rows of clothing. To the maids greeting their ‘young mistress’ good morning and have a good day. To the empty chairs at the dining table and the expensive food. She wakes up to her home.

 

Junhyung wakes up to rushed mornings, a beanie and hands hastily picking clothes from closet. To his mother, his father, to his younger brother laughing, teasing and endless jokes. To the burnt toast and loud bickering. He wakes up to his home.

 

Himae turns back upon hearing 'princess' and puts on her happiest smile with the deadest eyes.

 

Junhyung ignores the mumbles of reject and drowns everyone and everything out with his music.