Sparks

More than Anything

It is the start of the new semester in Nadao Bangkok High School and of course some of the students are thrilled and excited to start a new lesson while some of them are whining about their semester break that they claim as " short ". Nevertheless, the first day of new semester begins with a daily morning assembly which the Principal, teachers and the Head of Students give their speeches. Claps are given after the Principal and some teachers done with their speeches, and when the stunning Head of Students makes her way in front to give some words, the students are back to focus, or rather to gawk on her. Boys and even girls can't resist when it comes to Khong Khwan ; the very infamous Head of Students ever.

A group of four bestfriends isn't excluded either as one of them is practically fangirling towards Khwan who is giving her speech. Dao, a girl whose her mind is full of romantic fantasies has her eyes twinkle as they are fixed on Khwan. Dao respects Khwan as " the girl who has everything " and that's why Dao always look up on Khwan. Other students will probably think that she has a crush on Khwan, but her three bestfriends know better that she's as straight as any straight girl can get.

" She's so pretty… How to be like her? " Dao whispers.

Koi, her bestfriend, giggles at her. She has always known that Dao can be quite obsessed about something or someone that caught her attention. She nudges Dao, causing Dao to turn to her, raising her eyebrows cutely.

Koi leans closer, whispering to her ear, " Careful, or you might turn gay for Khwan. " Dao laughs with an amused expression at Koi's words.

" Don't worry, I'm 100% sure I'm straight. But if ever I turn gay, I would hit on you rather than Khwan. " Dao jokes before shifting her attention to Khwan again.

That caught Koi off-guard for a moment. But she shrugs it off and asks Elle and Dew what they gonna have for lunch.

-

Dao just came back from the toilet when she notices Koi is gone from her seat. It's already lunch time and usually they will go together. Never once Koi went without her so it bugs her abit. Elle and Dew just got up from their seats, walking towards Dao.

" Where's Koi? She went early? " asks Dao.

" Oh, she said she doesn't feel like eating. So she went to the rooftop and maybe take some nap there. She told us to go without her. " answers Dew, linking her arm with Dao's.

Dao frowns.

" She needs to eat something.. I will buy some food for her and gonna eat with her there. See you after lunch then! " Dao sprints her way to the canteen, leaving Elle and Dew behind.

" These two can never be separated, huh? " mumbles Dew as Elle laughs at it.

" Let them be. Let's go, I'm starving! " whines Elle while dragging Dew.

 

 -

 

Meanwhile on the rooftop, Koi is leaning against the metal bar, drifting herself to sleep as the wind ruffles her hair into a mess. Dao appears on the door as her eyes are scanning the surrounding to find her bestfriend. She saw Koi at one side and shakes her head as she makes her way there, with a plastic full with their favorite snacks. Koi doesn't seem to notice her presence because she never stirs from her position. Dao slowly sits beside Koi, the wind makes Koi's hair tickling her face, making Koi scrunches her face in annoyance. Dao smiles at that. She reaches out and placing Koi's hair back to the position.

Startles with the touch, Koi suddenly woke up from her sleep, and accidentally bumping her forehead hard with Dao's. They both groan at the impact as they rubbing their heads to cease the pain. Koi open her eyes, only to get her heart skips a beat at the close distance between Dao and her. Too close for comfort. Koi literally can smell Dao's perfume. It makes Koi feels hazy, in a good way. She can't move ; it's like her body stuck in that position. Even when Dao finally open her eyes too. Dao too, seems shocked because Koi's face is so near to hers. Neither of them move. Koi dares herself to look into Dao's eyes, only to realize Dao already looking at her. Koi travel her eyes downward to Dao's small lips. She gulps. She sweats. She doesn't know what to do in this situation. She should back away from that awkward position, but her body refuses it. Her contemplations end when Dao finally voices out.

" …. Koi.. "

That's it. It feels like something bursts inside Koi, making her moves even closer to Dao. Now their lips just inches apart from each other. Koi balls her hands into fists, as Dao slowly closing her eyes and leaning closer to Koi, closing the little gap between their lips. Closer and closer, Koi's heart beats really fast as she anticipating the kiss. Dao can smell Koi's lipstick, it is Cherry's.

" HEY, YOU TWO!! " a loud voice interrupts them, making they jump away from each other.

Dao turns around and sees Elle and Dew marching towards them. Koi hangs her head low in embarassment. She's sure as hell that her face is as red as a tomato.

" Damn.. Did they see what happened..? " Dao mumbles to herself.

Dew knocks Dao's head. Elle sits down beside Koi, handing her a pack of sandwiches.

" What was that for…?! " whines Dao.

Dew huffs, " What did two of you do just now? You were so close to each other and from our position just now it looks like you were kissing Koi. "

Koi fidgets uncomfortably on her place, somewhat anticipating Dao's answer. She slowly munching on the sandwiches, trying to avoid Dew's glare.

" Yea, we were kissing. Kissing your . There was something in Koi's eyes and she asked me to blow it for her. You dumb. " Dao nonchalantly answers as she rummaging through the foods.

Dew stuck out her tongue and sits down, " Yea, alright. I was just asking, no need to call me dumb. "

Dao pinches Dew's cheek, " Just shut up and eat. "

As Elle and Dew are busy eating and talking, Dao lock her eyes with Koi before breaking the eye contact, afraid that something gonna happen again. Koi smiles rather awkwardly, trying to cease the weird tension between them. Dao returns the smile before engaging herself in Elle and Dew's conversation.

Koi silently eating while looking at Dao.

 

 She feels something that she shouldn't have feel for her own bestfriend.

 

***