One, Two…

One, Two... (FanForYeol 2015 Entry)

One, Two…

 

In Wu Chanyeol's mind, he still wasn't ready but in his heart, that was a different story.

 

This was the day. They have been planning this day for months now. They have gone back and forth with their discussion whether to go through with it or not, but here they are, at long last going through with it.

 

Wu Chanyeol and his husband, Wu Yifan, are heading to Eden Ville, an orphanage located outside Seoul, they had an appointment that day. Chanyeol tried to reschedule the said appointment again but Yifan said no, reasoning that if they didn’t go through with it today, they never will. Chanyeol wanted to argue that his husband is being over dramatic but he knows that it was also true. It’s not that he doesn’t want kids, he wants them, he was just scared. He was an orphan himself, he never had parents, he’s afraid that he’ll screw up.

 

“We’ll be fine.”

 

“What?” Chanyeol was brought out of the nervous cloud he has wrapped himself in. He looks to his right, Yifan was driving with small smile in his face, making him smile as well. He knows Yifan will be a wonderful father, though on the awkward side at first, but he wasn’t sure for himself.

 

“You’re thinking about it too much.” Yifan answers, looking at him for a few seconds before facing the road once again. His right hand takes hold of Chanyeol’s left hand, he then proceeded in rubbing small comforting circles with his thumb. This always helps Chanyeol with his nerves.

 

“I’m fine Yifan.” Chanyeol tries to assure the other but he knows that his husband knows him very well. They’ve been together for so long that they were practically one person. He’s certain that Yifan doesn’t believe him at all.

 

“Who you trying to fool babe?” Yifan ask with humor in his voice making Chanyeol’s smile breakout into a full-on grin. This was one of the reasons Chanyeol fell in love with him, one of the many hundred reasons of course, he can always make Chanyeol happy with simple words and gestures.

 

“You’ll be fine. We’ll be fine. Everything’s going to be fine.” Yifan assures Chanyeol, he has been reassuring the other since a month ago when the appointment was given a date. Chanyeol knows that Yifan will make sure that everything will be fne, he just can’t help but worry, he really really wants this, and he’s afraid that something bad will happen.

 

“I know.” Chanyeol answers, taking Yifan’s hand into a tight grip.

 

“So stop worrying.”

 

“Okay.”

 

Then the car stop.

 

“We’re here.” Yifan announces not even a full minute after Chanyeol’s answer. Pushing the other into a full blown panic attack. As much as Yifan finds the situation funny, he does his best to help Chanyeol calm down.

 

“Hey Baby, look at me.” Yifan says with a soothing voice, it was very hard for Chanyeol to do so but he tries his best to listen to his husband. Chanyeol closes his eyes for a minute, when he opens them, he looks directly at his husband, making the eye-to-eye contact ask of him.

 

“Steady breathes. One, two, inhale. Three, four, exhale.” Yifan holds on to Chanyeol’s cold clammy hands, giving it a squeeze once in a while.

 

“Come one baby, steady breathes. One, two, inhale. Three, four, exhale. You can do this.” Yifan encourages Chanyeol until he was breathing normally again. Once the younger one has controlled his breathing, the next thing he did surprised Yifan.

 

Smack.

 

“Ow. What was that for?” Yifan complains, rubbing the reddening part of his arm. The pain was tolerable but he didn’t really see it coming, though he should have, he knew Chanyeol was never good with these kinds of jokes.

 

“That was not funny.” Chanyeol said, clearly irrittated with Yifan.

 

“It was a little funny.” Yifan answers, a small grin forming in his face, he knows Chanyeol can’t stay mad at him for long. It was the same for him as well, they love each other to much to stay angry with one another.

 

Chanyeol takes one look at Yifan and his anger melts away. Will it always be like this?, the thought passes through his mind. I hope so, I hope we never get tired of one another. He then wills himself to not show that he’s irritation with Yifan has already started to diffuse but of course, Yifan knows him to well to get away with it.

 

“I love you.” Yifan says a he gives Chanyeol a quick kiss on the lips, moving away to see his husband’s flustered expression on his face. He then moves slightly to the left to open Chanyeol’s door, giving him one more kiss before moving out of the car.

 

Yifan moves around the car to help Chanyeol out of the car, pulling him out of the car, “Come one baby, let’s go.”

 

As Yifan and Chanyeol were walking towards the building, they could see children playing around the yard. Yifan was looking at a group of boys who looks like they were playing hide and seek. Chanyeol on the other hand was at the children near the plastic castle structure, there were slides and swings attached it. It seems that the orphanage has a received generous donations over the past few years for them to have wonderful facilities for the children.

 

“Hello hello. Good morning. I am Kim Junmyeon, director of Eden Ville. Thank you for coming today.” The well-mannered man greeted them with a smile and shook both their hands. He looks too young to be running the orphanage himself, but Yifan kept that to himself, he knows looks could be deceiving, being that Chanyeol himself doesn’t look like a day over twenty but was in fact already twenty eight. Yifan smiles and introduces himself and his husband.

 

“Hey, I’m Wu Yifan and this is my husband Wu Chanyeol.” Yifan pulls Chanyeol beside him. “It’s good to finally meet you Mr. Kim, all our interaction has been through the phone.”

 

“Just call me Junmyeon or Suho, It’s what they call me around here.” Junmyeon tells them. The man was very likable that Yifan and Chanyeol are not having any difficulty in feeling at ease with him. They then notice another man behind Mr. Kim.

 

“Oh. How silly of me. This is our house manager, who is also my assistant, Zhang Yixing.” Junmyeon says as he noticed the couple looking behind him, knowing that his assistant was right there. The said man, the same with Kim Junmyeon, looks young for his position, he has a dimpled smile that looks adorable, and Yifan bets that he’s very popular with the young children in his care.

 

“Good day Mr. Zhang.” Yifan greets the younger man, who was shaking his hand then Chanyeol’s. It seems that they were off to a good start. The staff in Eden Ville seems to be very accommodating.

 

“Oh please. Just Yixing is fine.” The young man answers them. They all then proceeded to go inside the building.

 

“So would you like to tour the place first or would you like to go inside my office so that we could have a look on the children profiles and we can decide on the plan of action we will take.” Junmyeon started talking while they walking on the hallway, a few children were running and walking past them.

 

Laughing and loud voices could be heard in the common room they passed a few moments ago, scattered toys and books were on the floor, rushed footsteps near the staircase, the place was alive. This was what Yifan and Chanyeol wanted. They looked at one another, they understood each other without even speaking. This is what they want in their home, with just the two of them their place was too quiet, they want it to be noisy and full of happiness.

 

Junmyeon looks at the couple and sees that they were busy looking at the wonderful chaos in front of them. The kids were very overwhelming to see in this setting it was such a wonderful scene to witness, seeing children laughing and full of life was indeed a sight to see.

 

“So, what shall we do first?” Junmyeon inquires.

 

Yifan looks at Chanyeol and nods his head, as if saying the younger one should be the one to decide.

 

“I think we’ll take the tour first.” Chanyeol answers, getting a smile from Yifan when he looks at his husband.

 

“Wonderful. This will give you the chance to look around and see most of the children even before we discuss their profiles.” Junmyeon comments at Chanyeol’s choice.

 

Junmyeon toured them throughout the four floors of the orphanage. The first floor was where the common room, playroom, dining room, kitchen, and director’s office were located.  The second floor consisted of the nursery, library, prayer room, counseling room, and AVR/ convention room. The third floor has two bathrooms –one for each gender– with eight stalls each, twelve bedrooms for the younger kids with a pair of bunk beds per room, two restrooms with three stalls each, and four bedrooms with their own bath/restroom for the staff who lives in the orphanage. The fourth floor has the two bathrooms –one for each gender– with eight stalls each, sixteen bedrooms for the older kids with a bunk bed per room, two restrooms with three stalls each, and six bedrooms with their own bath/restroom for the staff.

 

“Wow. The orphanage is managed wonderfully. I can see the children are really taken care off.” Yifan commented at the end of their tour. Chanyeol was quite taken by the little kids they’ve seen, he even spent a few more minutes inside the nursery, playing with the toddlers. Yifan could see how much Chanyeol wanted this.

 

“Thank you, but honestly, it has a lot to do with our generous sponsors, we are just the ones who make sure that their donations are allotted properly to benefit the kids the most.” Junmyeon explains, while Yixing can be seen nodding his head in silent agreement. They were a peculiar pair, Junmyeon with his well-mannered gestures and Yixing with his dimpled smile, as Yifan silently observes them, he can see a slight chemistry in their body language, the way that Yixing unconsciously moves in reaction to Junmyeon’s movement and vice versa. It was funny for Yifan that the two were oblivious to it, it made him laugh that there are now three pairs of eyes staring at him.

 

“Sorry, just thought of something funny. Anyway, where were we?” Yifan answers the questioning looks they’re giving off. He looks at his husband and sees that Chanyeol doesn’t believe him one bit, then notices that even his husband has observe the chemistry between the director and his assistant.

 

“I was just about to suggest that we now proceed to my office.” Junmyeon answers with a smile.

 

“I’ll get some snacks.” Yixing finally speaks, moving towards the staircase, dimpled smile still on his face.

 

“Sure, let’s go.” Yifan answers him, taking Chanyeol’s hand and moving towards the staircase as well.

 

- 0 -

 

They were on the second floor when Chanyeol felt the need to use the restroom. He remembers where it was located when it was pointed out by Junmyeon to them during the tour. He excused himself, saying that he’ll catch up to them when he finishes. He goes inside the one of the stalls and did his business. While he was zipping up, he hears the door slamming, one of the stall door was slammed opened, he was starting to freaked out a bit but then he heard it, small soft hiccups becoming into sniffles. He was relieved it was a child, he was sure to run out if there wasn’t any sound after the slamming of doors, then Yifan would have a laughing fest if that ever happened. He quickly zipped up and got out of the stall he was in. he washed his hands, seeing the open stall, he could see small converse shoes peeking out of the stall. He went near the stall, when the sniffles didn’t stop, he opened the stall to see a little boy crying.

 

“Hello.” Chanyeol greets the little boy. The little boy blinks at him then went back to crying.

 

“Why are you crying?” Chanyeol tries again, he tries to make his voice as soothing as possible. He kneels down to make it that he was in the same level as the little boy, he doesn’t want to intimidate the little boy with his height. He thought the little boy wasn’t going to answer him, then he looks up at Chanyeol and then he shows a scratch on his arm, it wasn’t alarmingly long but it was long enough that it was slightly wet with blood.

 

“Oh, that looks like it hurts, how about we clean it up.” Chanyeol says with concern, still trying to be soothing to calm the little boy down, he takes the little boy by the hand and leads him to the sink. He diligently washes the wound, getting the blood and washing it with soap. Once done, he dries it and wraps his handkerchief around wound. The little boy stopped crying while he was drying the wound and concentrates on watching Chanyeol care for arm. After tying a simple knot, he looks at the little boy and smiles. The little boy smiles back.

 

“Thank you, Mr…” The little boy starts to say but then leaves it hanging since he doesn’t know Chanyeol’s name.

 

“I’m Chanyeol.” He provides for the little boy.

 

“Thank you Mr. Chanyeol.” The little boy says.

 

“You’re welcome. Now go on, just be careful.” Chanyeol answers as he pats the little boy on the head.

 

The child nods his little head and goes out the restroom first, it was then that Chanyeol notices that the little boy was holding a small stuffed panda.

 

- 0 -

 

While Chanyeol excused himself to go to the restroom, Yifan and Junmyeon went ahead going down the staircase. They then found Yixing standing on the bottom of the staircase waiting for with them with a little boy with a lollipop in his mouth. The little boy looks up at Yifan and silently stares at the adult in front of him.

 

Yixing excuses himself and Junmyeon, wanting to have a word with director alone.

 

“Hey Hunnie.” Junmyeon ruffles the little boy’s hair on his way to following Yixing. The little boy acknowledges him by tilting his head towards Junmyeon’s direction as the director ruffles his hair.

 

Yifan and ‘Hunnie’ were then left alone at the bottom of the staircase.

 

Yifan continuously stares at the little boy, and the said little boy was doing that as well, looking adorable with the lollipop sticking out of his mouth. They stare at each other for a few minutes until ‘Hunnie’ does something that Yifan doesn’t expect.

 

“You want some?” He offers to Yifan his lollipop, raising it towards Yifan, it looks like it was strawberry or raspberry flavored. The little boy’s offer made Yifan smile, it was so cute.

 

“No, but thank you for offering.” Yifan says with a smile, wondering what Chanyeol would think of the child in front of him.

 

Suddenly, Junmyeon was there again, walking towards him and Yixing walking behind him. A smile breaks out of his face when he sees Yifan interacting with the little boy.

 

“Sorry about that, there was a call in one of the hospitals connected to the orphanage.” Junmyeon explains himself.

 

“It’s fine. We could reschedule if you’re needed somewhere else.” Yifan answers, understanding as always.

 

“No, it’s fine. Let’s go inside my office so that we could start discussing the plan you’re going to take.” Junmyeon answers, walking towards his office as he speaks.

 

“Come on Hunnie, it’s snack time. Let’s look for Taozi.” Yifan heard Yixing say to the little boy, when he looked back, he saw the young man leading the little boy to the dining room. They weren’t out of earshot when he heard the little boy ask Yixing a question.

 

“Will that man be appa?”

 

“We’ll see.” Was the answer Yifan heard Yixing say to the little boy. He didn’t see Yixing’s expression but he could hear the sadness in his voice.

 

- 0 -

 

Knock. Knock.

 

“Come in.”

 

“Hey.” Chanyeol peaks inside the rooms, making sure he was in the right office.

 

“Chanyeol, come in. Come in.” Junmyeon was sitting behind the desk, Chanyeol could see that the room was kept clean and tidy.

 

“Did I keep you guys waiting?” Chanyeol asked as he took his seat.

 

“No, don’t worry about it. We actually just took our seat a minute before you arrived.” Junmyeon answers him.

 

“Really?” Doubt in Chanyeol’s voice, it did take him a while to clean the little boy’s wound. He looks at Yifan to see if Junmyeon is telling the truth. When Yifan nods his assurance, he finally believes Junmyeon. Chanyeol hates being a bother, so he doesn’t like waiting because of him as well, and he definitely hates it when someone lies just to spare his feelings.

 

“So, let’s talk about the adoption process. I could explain everything then you ask questions or you could start asking now then I explain along the way.” Junmyeon offers them choices on how to discuss the adoption. Yifan and Chanyeol looks at each other, Yifan just shrugs, leaving the decision on how to proceed with Chanyeol.

 

“Ok. I guess you could start explaining the process and will just ask to clarify things.” Chanyeol gives his decision. Yixing enters the room with both coffee and tea on a tray and an assortment of biscuits.

 

As Junmyeon explains the process of adoption, the four adults take time to eat and drink the snacks brought by Yixing, who was located, as usual, behind Director Kim.

 

“So let me get this straight. After we pick a child, we can take him home for a month?” Yifan waits for confirmation, when Junmyeon gives him a firm nod, he continues, “Then another evaluation to see whether the child is a right fit in our home and lifestyle?”

 

“Yes, that’s about it.” Junmyeon confirm that Yifan has certainly understand the major points of it.

 

“You can take the child anywhere, as long as it is within the country.” Yixing added, his dimpled smile making an appearance once again.

 

“Yes, that correct. Thank you Yixing.” Junmyeon comments, smile at his assistant.

 

“Ok. So how do we pick the right child for us?” Chanyeol asks Junmyeon.

 

“I have already compiled a short list of suitable candidates for you. As you should remember, I have already interviewed you via Skype about your lifestyle, what your usual schedule and habits are, what you want in a child, all the basic things that could help us pinpoint on the perfect child for you.” As Junmyeon explains, Yixing brought over a short stack of folders, giving it to Junmyeon, who then passes it to the couple in front of him.

 

While the couple were busy looking at profiles, Junmyeon and Yixing were texting each other.

 

--

 

To: Z. Yixing

From: Junmyeon

 

What do you think about the Wus?

 

--

 

To: Suho @_@

From: Yixing

 

I think they’re ok J

 

--

 

To: Z. Yixing

From: Junmyeon

 

You think they’ll pick someone from the stack?

 

--

 

To: Suho @_@

From: Yixing

 

Don’t really know. Not sure about Yifan though.

 

--

 

To: Z. Yixing

From: Junmyeon

 

???

 

--

 

To: Suho @_@

From: Yixing

 

He kept looking at Sehun even when I was leading him out the common room.

 

--

 

To: Z. Yixing

From: Junmyeon

 

Really?

 

--

 

To: Suho @_@

From: Yixing

 

Really.

 

--

 

Yifan cleared his throat making Junmyeon’s head snap in attention, it was obvious that he was caught texting under his text, though it wasn’t forbidden, it wasn’t very professional as well. He then noticed that both males in front of him were slightly frowning.

 

“Problem?” Junmyeon inquired, expecting Yifan to answer but it was Chanyeol who spoke first.

 

“Not really. It’s just...” Chanyeol leaves his answer hanging as he closes the folders in his pile. He then continues after arranging them.

 

“Do you know the little boy with raven black hair? He has a cute little panda plushie, he also seems to lack sleep for some reason, there were dark circles under his eyes. He seems around five or six years old.” Chanyeol asks, giving small details of how he remembers the little boy.

 

Junmyeon shares a look with Yixing before answering Chanyeol. “Zitao. If your description is correct, then you’re talking about Zitao.”

 

“Zitao?” Chanyeol pronounces the name slowly, as if testing it out on his tongue.

 

“Yes, Huang Zitao to be exact.” Yixing added, giving Chanyeol the child’s full name.

 

“He’s Chinese then?” Chanyeol inquires, Yifan has been quiet throughout the whole exchange between his husband and the director.

 

“Yes, he is. His mother gave birth to him here in Korea, though she dies shortly after giving birth, heart problem I believe was the cause.” Junmyeon freely gives the information, he can feel that Chanyeol has a deep interest with the said boy.

 

“He’s Chinese, that’s wonderful.” Chanyeol answers as he squeezes his husband’s hand.

 

“Yifan?” Chanyeol says, asking for his husband’s attention.

 

“Hmm.”

 

“You seem awfully quiet.” Chanyeol asks as he looks at his husband. Yifan seems to be thinking really hard about something.

 

“Oh, it’s nothing just thinking. So, uuuh. How come the little boy a while ago isn’t in your choices?” Yifan deflects Chanyeol’s question and brings the attention to Junmyeon.

 

“Sehun?” Junmyeon asks.

 

“No, the one you called Hunnie.” Yifan answers, he remembers they called the little boy that name.

 

“That is Sehun, that’s just a nickname we have for him.” Yixing informs him.

 

“Oh Sehun.” Junmyeon said.

 

“Ok. Why isn’t he on your list of choices for us?”

 

“Zitao as well, why isn’t he one of your candidates for us?” Chanyeol wants to know as well.

 

“I don’t know how you met Zitao, it’s very surprising to tell you the truth, but about the two boys, as I can understand, both of you are very outgoing people. You go to parties and functions, it’s part of your lifestyle. You also said in the interview that you plan of bringing the child into your lifestyle. Those two boys you’ve mentioned have shy personalities.”

 

“I met him in the second floor restroom. He was crying, he has a scratch on his arm that was bleeding, I helped him clean in.” Chanyeol answers Junmyeon’s unspoken question.

 

“Oh. I see.” Junmyeon answers, not knowing what else to say.

 

“You want the kid, don’t you?” Yifan and Chanyeol said the exact same thing at the exact same moment to each other. Though the arising situation is giving the couple a headache, they couldn’t help but smile at each other.

 

“I’m just going on a hunch here, but I’m pretty sure I’m dead on with it. You both have a child in mind but it’s not the same child.” Yixing states with a big grin on his face, he is finding the situation the couple was in extremely funny.

 

“How shy are they?” Yifan inquires, still with a smile on his face.

 

“They are not very good with new people, that’s why it surprises me that you know Zitao, he usually hides out on his room when we have visitors over. And Sehun rarely speaks with someone he’s not familiar with.”

 

“Will they be traumatized if they are brought into crowded places?” Yifan inquires for more information.

 

“No, they’re not dysfunctional. But it would be less likely for them to interact. If you take them into one of the usual parties you attend to, you cannot leave them to be friendly with other kids, they will tend to stick to you, either they’ll follow you around the room or they’ll actually grab your slack and hold on to you. They also won’t be very social to your acquaintances, they are not very talkative like other children.” Junmyeon explains.

 

“Well, Zitao might start talking but it won’t be for a while. Sehun is a different case, he’s usually very quiet, even with us who he’s very familiar with.” Yixing add on, as Junmyeon talks a breather in his explanation.

 

“I see.” Chanyeol musses on how they were going to do this.

 

“So, what are we supposed to do?” Yifan asks, surprising the Director Kim, the young man doesn’t know how to take the question.

 

“Excuse me?” Junmyeon asks.

 

“Are you going to adopt both of them?” Yixing ask what the Director was thinking.

 

“No, but since my husband and I wants two different children, I’d like to see which child fits our lifestyle more.” Yifan answers, giving Chanyeol’s hand a tight squeeze. Chanyeol knows that Yifan was trying to be fair to the both of them, so he smiles, loving his husband even more.

 

“Well, it’s going to be more complicated with two children involved.” Junmyeon explains as he tries to think of a good plan for this.

 

“How about instead of a month, we’ll give them three weeks with each child, then another 3 weeks with both children. What do you think?” Yixing suggest with eagerness.

 

“That sounds like a solid plan. We’ll have more evaluations though. An evaluation before and after every three weeks.” Junmyeon adds to their plan.

 

Chanyeol looks at Yifan, his heart hammering in his chest, they were really going to do this.

 

“Ok.” Chanyeol answers.

 

“Ok.” Yifan agrees as well, a smile on both their faces.

 

“We’ll be sending the necessary paper work. Before you can take the child home, we will be checking your living environment to confirm that it is safe for the child to stay in. We will be sending someone over next week. Whoever is sent will be giving you tips and recommendation for the improvement of your living space and child safety measures, I do insist that you listen and do so as he/she recommends. Your house will be inspected once again to see whether you followed the given suggestion…” Junmyeon recites the things that will happen during the following weeks. Finally, he recites something that he wholeheartedly wishes for the couple,

 

“Good luck, I really hope things work out for you.”

 

- 0 -

 

The week after their appointment with Junmyeon, he sent someone to do the house inspection. She didn’t have a lot of suggestions since Yifan made sure that they have bought everything imaginable that a child would need. She just gave some added tips, like what the kids would most likely like for snacks and drinks, what are appropriate shows and activities for the kids. She went home with minimal comments about the house.

 

Yifan had two of the guest bedrooms across their master bedroom furnished for a little boy’s room. He and his husband shopped online for most of the larger furnishers and then they shopped for the toys and beddings themselves. His husband almost went over board and started shopping for clothes but then he suggested that they wait for the boys to come with them before they buy the clothes, it was better to make sure that the clothes would actually fit.

 

Chanyeol did most of the mix and match on the bedroom designs, sometimes asking for his husband’s input, but mostly he had free reign over the whole thing. He also started reading books and magazines on good parenting. He wants to be ready.

 

As the weeks gets nearer, the couple’s excitement rises but so did Chanyeol’s anxiety over the whole parenting thing.

 

A week before the Tao could be taken home, Junmyeon called to inform them that there was no second house inspection. There were minimal comments that they felt there was no need for another one, just as long as they followed the suggested improvements to them.

 

- 0 -

 

“Hey Babe, we need to leave now or we’ll be late.” Chanyeol’s loud voice rings throughout the house. He was already waiting by the door while Yifan was still looking for the car keys. Yifan was sure that he placed it on the bedside table but he can’t seem to find it.

 

“I still can’t find the damn car keys.” Yifan shouted back, the frustration in his voice could be heard loud and clear, Chanyeol knows his husband is a stickler for time.

 

Yifan was sure he placed it on the bedside table. He tried retracing his steps. He arrived and went inside the kitchen to find Chanyeol making dinner. He kissed his husband then went upstairs to change clothes. He placed the keys on the table before going inside their walk-in closet. He was in the process of ping his pants when he felt arms enclosing him in a back hug. Chanyeol. He tried to say something but Chanyeol shushed him with a finger, and the rest was history. He woke up in the middle of the night hungry, it was dark so he had to feel his way to turn on the lights, he did remember hearing a sound of something falling.

 

Yifan immediately went to his side of the bed, crouching down to look under their bed, and there they were, he finally found his damn keys.

 

“Got them.” Yifan announced as he jogged down the staircase.

 

“Finally.” Chanyeol said as they quickly got out of the house, he made quick work of locking the door and getting inside the car.

 

They were only half an hour late, which was a miracle with the traffic they got stuck in. Junmyeon was there to greet them on the door step. As they were walking inside, Junmyeon told them that Zitao was up in his bedroom with Yixing.

 

“You guys ready?” Junmyeon asks the couple.

 

“We hope so.” Chanyeol answers with nerves clear in his voice.

 

“We’ll be fine.” Yifan says as he squeezes Chanyeol’s hand.

 

“Ok, let’s go get Zitao then.”

 

…………

 

Zitao’s first week with the Wu’s was mainly him and Chanyeol bonding. Yifan was swamped with work that Chanyeol was the one always left with the little boy. Chanyeol and Zitao were strolling in the mall when they walked pass an ongoing martial arts class, the day ended with Chanyeol signing Zitao up for classes.

 

On Zitao’s second week, Yifan compromised with Chanyeol, promising that he’ll bring some of his workload home so that he could spend some time with the little boy. The week started with Yifan bringing Chinese takeout for dinner. They spent the entire night playing with Zitao, Chanyeol was actually the first one to fall asleep, leaving Yifan and Zitao to watch Kung Fu Panda. After the movie, Yifan carries Zitao up the little boy’s room, he tucks him in and notices how cute the little boy is. Chanyeol was right, he was a cute little panda.

 

Zitao’s third week with the Wu’s went without a hitch. Yifan rescheduled everything so that he could go home in time for dinner and they could take Zitao out for the weekends. The highlight of the week was the formal party they had to attend. The week started out with Chanyeol bringing Zitao to the tailor to get his suit measurments. Two days after, they came back for final fitting with Yifan tagging along, the day ended with a new suit for Zitao and a scoop of ice cream for being such a good boy.

 

During the formal party, Yifan went around the room talking to associates and colleagues, leaving Zitao with Chanyeol, the little boy was quiet as expected. Yifan was across the room when he saw that Zitao was getting tired, Chanyeol was talking to one of his colleagues while the little boy was clutching on his pants. Yifan excused himself for minute, promising to come back. He walked toward his husband and the little boy, Chanyeol saw him approaching, giving him a dazzling smile.

 

“Hey, how’re you guys holding up?” Yifan greets Chanyeol, taking hold of one of his arms.

 

“We’re ok, though I think Zitao is getting tired.” Chanyeol answers his husband, both looking down at the little boy who was clutching his panda plushie. Yifan kneels down and ruffles the little boys hair,

 

“Hey Zitao, are you getting tired?’ Yifan ask him, smiling to show he wasn’t trying to intimidate.

 

“Just a little.” Zitao answers, stifling a yawn with his free hand.

 

“Well, I still need to talk to some people, is it ok if we stay a little longer?” Yifan asks again.

 

Zitao moves his head sidewards to show that he doesn’t mind.

 

“Ok. Wanna go with me and leave Chanyeol for a while?”

 

“Ok.”

 

Yifan carries Zitao, he then informs Chanyeol that he’ll be taking the little boy across the room.

 

“Are you sure?” Chanyeol asks as he looks at Yifan and Zitao.

 

“Yes. Don’t worry, have fun talking with the guys babe.” Yifan answers his husband.

 

The night ended with Chanyeol driving them home, Zitao was sleeping peacefully in Yifan’s arms. Zitao’s was then brought back to the orphanage two days later. They brought Sehun home a week after Zitao was back in the orphanage.

 

- 0 -

 

Sehun’s first week with the Wu’s was more settled in a routine, since Yifan has already started scheduling his work around the kids. Like with Tao, most of the first week was with Chanyeol but Yifan made sure he was always on time for dinner. During Sehun’s fourth day with them, Chanyeol had an emergency business meeting with one of his clients, he called Yifan, who rescheduled most of his work but still asked Chanyeol to drop Sehun in his office. After Yifan was able to settle his schedule, he brought Sehun to the mall, they walking passing some stalls when Yifan felt Sehun stopped moving. The little boy was staring at the Rilakkuma dolls, it seems that like Chanyeol, Sehun was a fan of the character as well. The day ended with Sehun clutching three limited edition Rilakkuma dolls, Yifan even bought one for his husband.

 

The little boy’s second week was highlighted by a charity event. Chanyeol was the event organizer of one of the biggest companies in Seoul who decided to throw a charity event for children with cancer. Yifan and Sehun came for support. Like Zitao, Chanyeol brought Sehun to their personal tailor, he got measured for a suit and two days later, Sehun went back with Yifan, Chanyeol was too busy to come. The day ended with another batch of Rilakkuma dolls and half a gallon of strawberry ice cream for Chanyeol, who was super stressed.

 

During the charity event, Yifan anf Sehun and were left to their own devices. Chanyeol was running around, making sure that everything was going smoothly. The event itself was wonderful, it was like a mini-amusement park minus the rides, there were tons of booths that you could win prizes form. Sehun still doesn’t talk to anyone who wasn’t Yifan or Chanyeol but you could see that the little boy was having fun with Yifan.

 

The duo were sitting on a picnic table eating corndogs with mustard when Chanyeol finally had the time to look for them.

 

“Hey you two?” Chanyeol greets them as he gives his husband a kiss on the lips and one on Sehun’s cheek as well.

 

“Hey baby. Great event.” Yifan praises Chanyeol, but he wasn’t surprised, Chanyeol was good at what he does, he wasn’t sought out for nothing, he was the best event organizer in Seoul, of course Yifan was slighty biased, but still, Chanyeol’s name was known because he was great at what he does.

 

“Are you having fun Sehunnie?” Chanyeol asks the little boy, who has mustard and chocolate smears on his face. The little boy nods eagerly, continuously eating while looking at all the movement around him. Chanyeol proceeds to clean the boy up.

 

“Let’s give Yifan a break, wanna come with me for a while?” Chanyeol stands up, offering his hand to Sehun. Sehun takes it without a second thought.

 

“Aren’t you busy? Don’t worry about us.” Yifan inquires. He doesn’t want Chanyeol to have to run around with a child in his arms, it will only slow his husband down, preventing him from doing his job properly.

 

“It’s fine. You’ve had your alone time with Sehunnie, its my turn. Everythings going smoothly right now, I’ll call you when I need you. I saw Junmyeon and Yixing over at the basketball booth, go and say ‘Hi’.” Chanyeol answers him, kissing him on the lips and then walking away with Sehun in tow.

 

The day ended on a happy note. After the event, they went to a steak house for dinner. They bought ice cream for dessert and went home. They planned on watching Bambi when they got home but Sehun fell asleep while they were still driving home. Chanyeol carried Sehun inside while Yifan parks his car inside the garage. Yifan enters the house and expect Chanyeol tucking Sehun in, what he didn’t expect was Chanyeol lying down on their bed with Sehun sleeping on his chest. Yifans takes off their shoes, turns the lights off and lays beside his husband and the little boy.

 

The third week of Sehun’s stay ran smoothly with dates in the park and dining out. At the end of the third week both Chanyeol and Yifan was confused because now, they’ve bonded with both children.

 

…………

 

Yifan and Chanyeol were laying down after a round of love making. Earlier that day, they brought Sehun back to the orphanage. They saw Zitao as well, taking him out to eat ice cream then returning him back to the orphanage before dinner time.

 

Sehun and Tao would be coming back together a week after this day. The couple were excited but they were anxious as well. They haven’t talked about it, mainly because they know it’s going to lead to a fight, and they hated fighting with each other.

 

“Baby…” Yifan starts but stops when he looks at Chanyeol, the younger man fell asleep, he sighs and pulls his husband closer, spooning him in a back hug, he pulls the covers over them and went to sleep himself.

 

Chanyeol wasn’t really sleeping, he was feigning it to avoid the talk. He wants to stay in the comfortable bubble they were in for a little bit longer. He knows they have to talk about it, just not right now. Not right now when it seems everything was perfect.

 

- 0 -

 

Chanyeol couldn’t come when Yifan went to fetch the two kids, he was finishing some last minute details for the charity event he was organizing. He texted Yifan to make sure everything was fine in his end, when he got a reply, he submerged himself in event details to finally finish it.

 

Yifan arrived in the orphanage an hour early. He was just about to open the door when Sehun opened the door and launched himself on the tall male. He saw Zitao running down the stairs and running towards Yifan who was still holding Sehun.

 

“You came.” Zitao said as his face glows with a smile.

 

“Of course I did, I promised, didn’t I?” Yifan answers him, ruffling his hair, one arm still holding on to a smiling Sehun. Zitao nods in acknowledgment of what he said.

 

“You guys ready?” Yifan asks the two boys.

 

“Almost.” Zitao answers and runs back to his room to finish packing his stuff. Sehun just nods his answer.

 

“Ok. How about you bring your stud out to the car and I’ll help Zitao pack to that we could get an early start.” Yifan said to Sehun, waiting for the little boy to run to his room before making his way to Zitao’s room.

 

Outside Zitao’s room, Yifan could hear him talking with someone, he doesn’t mean to but he can’t help but listen before making his presence known.

 

“Ge, do you think they’ll pick me over Sehunnie?” Zitao whines at the person he’s talking to.

 

“I don’t know Taozi, we’ll see.” It sounds like Yixing was the one inside with Zitao.

 

Yifan waits for a few seconds before knocking on the door. He opens it when he hears Yixing’s voice saying it was ok to come in.

 

“You guys need help?” Yifan offers to help. He sees that they’re about done but it was the polite things to do.

 

“No need. We’re just about done here. Taozi, why don’t you accompany Yifan to Director Kim’s office.” Yixing said without even looking up.

 

“Ok.” Zitaos answers, grabbing Yifan’s hand and pulling him out the room.

 

Yifan went inside Junmyeon’s office alone, telling Zitao to wait with Sehun in the common room. Yifan enters the room and sees Junmyeon on the phone, he raises his hand to acknowledge Yifan’s presence, signaling that the phone call will just take a minute.

 

“So, I can see that the children are fond of you and your husband.” Junmyeon says as he puts the phone down.

 

“We’re fond of them as well.” Yifan answer, knowing where the conversation is leading to.

 

“Have you made a decision on who you’ll be adopting?” Junmyeon inquires.

 

“Not yet. I’m sorry but they’re very likable boys.” Yifan apologizes but it was the truth, ti was very hard to pick between the two little boys he’s began to care about.

 

“I know. They’re very sweet, I’d hate for one of them to feel rejected but I guess it can’t be helped. Anyway, have fun with your time with them, I hope you can reach a decision soon.” Junmyeon leads Yifan out his office and accompanies his towards the common room to say goodbye to the boys.

 

“Thank you Junmyeon.’

 

“It’s fine.”

 

“You guys ready to go?” Yifan said as he sees the two boys sitting in front of the television.

 

…………

 

Yifan took the boys out for snack before heading home. They went to a popular dinner that was near their place. Yifan ordered hamburger with a side of fries and cola for himself and a take-out for Chanyeol. Sehun ordered blueberry pancakes topped with whipped cream and walnuts and a glass of chocolate bubble tea. Zitao had raspberry waffles topped with whipped cream and a glass of chocolate milkshake. After eating, they went to the supermarket to buy supplies for movie night and the beach day Yifan and Chanyeol were planning for the kids, they also bought a gallon of strawberry ice cream for the stressed out Chanyeol waiting for them to come home.

 

Chanyeol was beyond happy when they got home, it was still too early for him to be cooking dinner, so they found the younger male inside his home office. Zitao brought the take-out Yifan got for him while Sehun has the gallon of ice cream.

 

“My saviors.” Chanyeol dramatically shouts, earning peals of laughter of the little boys. He gathered both into his arms and started attacking them with kisses, the three of them feel on the floor, Chanyeol still assaulting the little boys, and this was how Yifan saw them as he enters the room.

 

“Hey baby.” Yifan greets Chanyeol, bowls and spoons in hand. He can’t help but smile with the scene in front of them. Seeing his husband this happy makes his heart want to burst with all the love in it. He can’t help but fall a little bit in love with the little ones as well.

 

After eating the burger and fries, he played with the kids until it was time to start preparing for dinner. Yifan and the kids helped as well, Yifan prepared the garlic bread and salad while the kids prepared the table, he made kimchi spaghetti. They had popcorn for their movie time, milk for the kids and wine for the adults. It was such a wonderful night.

 

Chanyeol didn’t get back to his work until the following day. Where he found himself in bed with three other bodies lying beside him.  Sehun and Tao was squeezed between him and his husband. Sehun was halfway on top of him while Zitao was on Yifan. This feels right, Chanyeol was surprised when the thought passes through his mind.

 

…………

 

The three weeks passed in a blur. They went everywhere they could, amusement parks, the zoo, and the aquarium, twice they went to the beach, the planetarium, eating out in restaurants, and movie nights in the theatre. There were just minor incidents with Tao and Sehun, the real problem was the couple was starting to bicker because both were anxious about making a decision on who they were going to adopt.

 

The first incident happened with Sehun. During the first week, the couple together with the kids went to one of Yifan’s formal parties that he has to attend. Everything was fine at first, the kids were behaving themselves. As usual Yifan was making rounds, talking to clients and associates but he keeps an eye on where Chanyeol and the kids where. He saw some kids approaching Sehun and Tao, he chuckled at how Sehun immediately moves to Chanyeol, who was in the middle of conversation with his bestfriend, Byun Baekhyun, who happened to be in attendance as well. He then sees his husband unconsciously take Sehun into his arms without even a word from the little boy, the moment is frozen inside Yifan’s mind, an emotion blooms inside his heart, he can’t pinpoint what it is though. Zitao smiles and does a tiny wave at the children approaching them but his other hand automatically grabs at Chanyeol’s dress pants. Chanyeol’s hand unconsciously makes its way towards the little boy’s head, rubbing it soothingly.

 

Yifan crosses the room to get to his husband and the children. Chanyeol was deeply immersed in his conversation that he doesn’t see Yifan approaching, but Baekhyun does, making him smile when he sees the pure love and adoration in the older man’s eyes for his bestfriend. Yifan kisses Chanyeol on the cheeks midsentence.

 

“Hey, I was wondering where you ran off too.” Chanyeol teases, though a blush has started to tint his cheeks.

 

“Just talking to some people. I’ll be borrowing Zitao, looks like you have your hands full.” Yifan scoops Zitao in his arms, the little boy latching on to him with no protest at all.

 

“Oh. Ok.” Chanyeol smiles and gives Zitao a peck on the cheek. “Have fun baby.”

 

“Byyyyeeee.” Zitao softly says, waving at both Chanyeol and Sehun. Getting a wave from Sehun as well.

 

“It seems the both of you are settling in wonderfully with the kids.” Baekhyun commented as he, together with Chanyeol looks at where Yifan is, talking with one of his clients, with Zitao in his arms. Yifan has manage to make Zitao say hello sa well. When Baekhyun looks at Chanyeol, he sees the same love and adoration he saw in Yifan’s eyes a while ago. He clears his throat to get Chanyeol’s attention.

 

“Oh. Yeah. The kids are great.” Chanyeol answers, though he was still looking at his husband.

 

“You sure you’re still planning on adopting just one kids?” Baekhyun inquires because with what he saw, it looks like they both are very fond of both kids.

 

Chanyeol frowns. He’s been thinking about that as well. Yifan and he have been having small fights because they can’t agree on anything. Small fights have been breaking between them throughout the whole week. He keeps quiet, not answering Baekhyun.

 

Baekhyun sees the frown in Chanyeol’s face, deciding not to push the issue.

 

The night ended with the two kids sleeping at the back of the car, the couple was quiet, lost in their own thoughts. They arrived in their home an hour before midnight, Yifan parked the car in the garage and proceeded to help Chanyeol with the kids. The house was quiet, both doesn’t want to start speaking in fear of starting another fight with the other. They tucked both kids in their rooms and went to their own. As Yifan was taking off his tie, Chanyeol stood in front of him, already bare from clothing of whatsoever, he helps Yifan take off his clothes and leads him to their bed. Chanyeol lays down, and waits for Yifan to join him. Yifan hovers over him,

 

“Yeol --” Yifan starst but stopn when sees Chanyeol saying NO.

 

“Not tonight.” Chanyeol whispers and then proceeds to claim Yifan’s lips.

 

They made sweet slow love that night, and after that, they laid down in wrapped in each other’s arms. They loved each other so much that fighting was never easy for them. They are both confused because they both agreed to adopt only one child, but without knowing how, they both fell in love with Zitao and Sehun.

 

Chanyeol knows that Yifan wants Sehun, he wants the little boy as well, but how can he ask his husband to sacrifice more, because that was what will certainly happen if they adopt the two boys, he knows that Yifan is doing his best to reschedule but things will eventually fall through the cracks. Yifan has been an amazing husband, working hard to make his company as huge as it was now, he doesn’t want to burden his husband even more. Chanyeol spent all night thinking what to do with the situation he was in, not knowing Yifan was doing the exact same thing.

 

The weeks that followed flowed more smoothly for the couple, making a silent agreement to talk about it when the times comes that their decision is really needed. During their second week another incident happened with Zitao, it was already the end of October, the four of them attended a Halloween charity event organized by Chanyeol. Yifan dressed as Count Dracula, Chanyeol as Joker, Zitao as a panda (which was very adorable, mind you.), and Sehun as Frankenstein.

 

At first the kids were having fun, but as the scarier costumes came in, Zitao started whimpering, it came down to the little boy burrowing his face on Chanyeol’s neck. Sehun was being carried by Yifan, the little boy was looking at his friend who was frightened. Baekhyun tried to help by trying to take Zitao from Chanyeol, he planned to take the boy over to rainbow booth, but it resulted in Zitao throwing a tantrum, he wasn’t familiar with the male that he panic when he saw it was Baekhyun who has a hold on him.

 

Yifan instantly gave Sehun, who was quietly on a lollipop, to Chanyeol and took Zitao into his arms. Yifan started whispering soothing words until the little boy was calm enough that he has stopped crying. They decided to leave earlier than they first planned to, Chanyeol left Baekhyun, who couldn’t stop apologizing for ‘almost traumatizing Zitao’, incharge.

“I’m so so sorry, I was only trying to help.”

 

“Stop apologizing, we know you were trying to help.” Yifan says with a smile on his face. He does not begrudge Baekhyun for what happened, he knew the young man’s intent was genuinely good.

 

“Talk to you to you tomorrow Baekie, call if you need anything.” Chanyeol says as a goodbye, entering the car as Yifan waits for him in the driver’s seat, Zitao was still clinging so he needs Chanyeol to take the little boy from him. Sehun was already bucked in his car seat at the back.

 

The night ended with again all four of them sleeping in the master’s bedroom.

 

The day after the Halloween event started with Yifan and Chanyeol waking up to two little boys poking at them, they snuggled for a few minutes before filing down to the kitchen for breakfast. While they were eating, Yifan’s cellphone rang. He went and answered the call in the other room while Chanyeol and the kids finish their breakfast. He came back with a frown on his face which alarmed his husband.

 

“Why don’t you guys pick a dvd we can watch, we’ll follow you after we clean this up.” Chanyeol suggested to the kids, making sure they were out of earshot before asking his husband.

 

“What wrong?” Chanyeol asks as he stands in front of Yifan.

 

“That was Junmyeon, he said he needs to talk to us, urgently.” Yifan answers, anxiety building up.

 

- 0 -

 

After they watch Monsters Inc., Chanyeol laid the kids for a nap, the kids woke up after an hour or so. Yifan told them that they were going over to Baekhyun’s place for a while, he just reasons to the kids that Chanyeol and he needs to go somewhere for a while but he promises to pick them up and take them somewhere for dinner. At first they thought Zitao would protest but the little boy just nods his little head.

 

They took an hour and a half to clean up and get ready. Yifan and Chanyeol dropped the kids at Baekhyun’s place and proceeded to go the Eden Ville. For the first twenty minuted, they were just quiet, wondering silently what urgent matter it was for the need to call them. Chanyeol was the first to break.

 

“What do you think is so urgent that he wants to meet us immediately?” Chanyeol asks his husband, because no matter what he comes up in his head, there seems to be no reasonable explanation for the call.

 

“I don’t know, but we’ll soon find out.” Yifan parks the car and grabs Chanyeol’s hand, walking towards the already waiting Junmyeon on the door step.

 

“Hey guys, thanks for coming, let’s go to my office.” Junmyeon greets them, turning around immediately to open the door for them.

 

Once they were in the office, the three of them took their seats, while Yixing, as usual, stand behind Junmyeon.

 

“So, what is this about?” Yifan inquires, he doesn’t like beating around the bush.

 

“We’ve recently come across some new information about Zitao and Sehun. And it seems that we can’t let you adopt either one of them.” Junmyeon was greeted was stunned silence. He knew that it was shocking, this couple has taken time out of their busy lives to incorporate themselves into the lives of the boys, believing that they could adopt one of the boys.

 

“Excuse me, could you please repeat that.” Chanyeol whispers, disbelief in his voice.

 

“We’ve –” Junmyeon started to repeat ehat he said but was cut offed by Yifan.

 

“Why?” Yifan asked, a touch of anger in his voice.

 

“It seems that Zitao and Sehun are half-brother. We’ve recently discovered that they have the same father but different mother. And since both children took their mother’s name, we didn’t know until just recently.” Junmyeon explains, waiting for the couple to let the words he was saying sink in.

 

“The state tries to keep siblings together, so we can’t let you adopt one of them, leaving the other one behind.” Yixing adds in, knowing they would want to know that small piece of information.

 

Chanyeol’s heart jumps, isn’t this what he wants, to adopt both boys, but he has to think about Yifan as well. He keeps quiet, waiting for his husband to speak first, when Yifan did speak, Chanyeol did’t expect what came out of Yifan’s mouth.

 

“We’ll adopt both of them.” That certainly made everyone speechless, including himself.

 

“Yifan.” Chanyeol says his name, though he doesn’t know what to say next.

 

“I know, it’ll be hard, but you love both of them, I love both of them, we could make this work Yeol.” Yifan looks at him with determination in his eyes, even if he doubts himself from time to time, he has never doubted Yifan.

 

“Ok. Let’s do it.” Chanyeol answers with tears in his eyes. He was getting what he wanted. He was so full of love right now that he feels like he’s going to burst.

 

 The day ended with Chanyeol and Yifan taking the kids to the most expensive steak house in their area. They talked to kids, informing the two that Chanyeol and him plans to adopt both of them. The two little boys were so happy that they immediately asked what they should call Chanyeol and Yifan, they’ve arrived to the conclusion that Yifan is to be called ‘Baba’ and Chanyeol is “Appa”.

And they lived happily ever after, of course not in the fairytale kind of way, but in the reality kind. The family ran through some hard bumps along the way, fights and argument were always part of the family life, but the important thing was they loved one another. Yifan and Chanyeol showered Zitao and Sehun so much loved that they never questioned their parents love for them.