Flower Boy

God of Death's Mistress

Hakyeon hummed VIXX’s Voodoo Doll to himself as he arranged the azalea flowers into a nice arrangement. The greenhouse was a gift from his mother since the garden was already full of all the azalea flowers. With his small greenhouse, he could fit as many flowers as he wanted.

 

For now. Until it also became full.

 

He continued humming and glanced to his right and he saw someone standing at the door. He was an attractive boy about his age, maybe a little younger, with long hair tied back into a ponytail.

 

“Hi! I'm new next door. I heard you might be out here. I wanted to talk to you.”

 

Hakyeon blinked and opened the door. “Uh, hello. Come in I guess.”

 

“I'm Hongbin, by the way.”

 

“I'm Hakyeon.” The other boy nodded and gave a dimpled smile. Flushing, Hakyeon assumed he already knew his name if he wanted to talk to him, but he didn't know what else to say.

 

“Nice greenhouse you got here.”

 

“Yeah. Thanks. It was a present from my mother.”

 

“Oh? Is she around?”

 

Hakyeon swallowed. “She died a year ago.”

 

“I'm sorry to hear that.”

 

Hongbin walked in further, stopping to smell the azaleas, breathing the scent in deeply. “Not many boys would dedicate all these time to a couple of flowers. It's nice to see it isn't all taboo.”

 

“Uh…” That was a weird compliment. “Thanks. I guess.” Hongbin continued to breathe in the flowers, touching the set of dead ones with a frown on his face. “Um. You said you wanted to talk?”

 

“Oh. Yes.” He smiled again, that wide perfect smile, “my family actually runs an all-natural perfume shop and we heard about your passion for flowers and I was wondering if you either wanted to donate some of your flowers or come work for me.”

 

Work for him? But he looked as if he just graduated from college.

 

“You would...uh...you would actually be my apprentice.” Now Hongbin blushed. “I know it may seem weird. You're clearly the hyung, but I would teach you everything about the trade and someday we could work together. That doesn't sound as bad, right? Running a successful business?” He laughed loudly, a little louder than necessary. Hakyeon didn't join in.

 

Hongbin cleared his throat. “Will you at least think of it?”

 

“Sure.”

 

With a bow, Hongbin exited the greenhouse, leaving the greenhouse.

 

 

 

A business really wasn't what Hakyeon wanted. He was studying to become a dance teacher. Flowers were a side passion. Dancing was his real passion.

 

Maybe the perfume thing could be a side thing? He wouldn't know until he asked Hongbin and asked him to clarify what he truly wanted. He picked up a couple of his flowers and decided to head over the next day.

 

The other boy's house was small and modest compared to Hakyeon’s. Even if Hakyeon only lived with his father now, it was about twice the size. There were french doors and windows, and one giant oak tree with a tire swing hanging from one branch. Hakyeon stared for a couple minutes before ringing the doorbell.

 

Hongbin opened the door, his long hair down today. He smiled widely.

 

“Hey Hakyeon!”

 

“Hello Hongbin,” Hakyeon greeted, then ed his flowers forward. “Um. You said you wanted some.”

 

“Yes! Yes! Thank you!” The boy smiled wider and sniffed the flowers again. Hakyeon took a step in and glanced around.

The inside was even more modest. There weren't many decorations or even furniture. He didn't understand how the boy could live.

 

“So where--”

And something covered his mouth. And next thing Hakyeon knew, he passed out.