Fifteen

The Lotus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Fifteen

Anguish

 

Yeonhwa managed to arrange a proper burial for Joonmyeon, with the help of some palace helpers. Two weeks had passed since the incident, and Yeonhwa has given her all to avoid Tao at all costs. However, today she had to speak to him.

Yeonhwa had found out that Luhan was alive, and that he was detained in the palace dungeon. She was determined to get Tao to release him, but knowing Tao, he would probably ask for something in return. Whatever it was, Yeonhwa was willing to give, because if she were to find Yifan, she needed Luhan's help.

She strode into the room with confident steps, for if she were to waver, Tao would pick on her weaknesses and crush all hopes of finding and saving Yifan. Tao stared at her, smirking. He knew she was afraid. He knew that if he wanted to, he could get rid of her in just a few moments. But Han Yeonhwa was so, so beautiful. It would be a waste if he were to let her go without getting a taste of her.

 

"And what brings my beautiful empress before me? What do you need?" Tao asked in a cheerful manner, nevertheless still sounding sinister to Yeonhwa.

“I’m here to ask something of you.” she replied.

“And what would that be?” he inquired further, swirling the wine inside his glass.

“Release Luhan. Let him be by my side.”

“And why would I do that?” Tao scoffed.

“You’ve already taken away my husband and childhood friend from me, you can’t be as cruel as to deny me the companionship of someone I’m comfortable with.” Yeonhwa retorted.

 

Tao glared at her as she stared back. He wanted to throw the glass to her face but he did not want to ruin any chances of getting with her so he released a deep sigh.

 

“There is nothing beneficial on my part if I were to release that scum. If you need companionship, I’m here to stay next to you.” he replied, in a calm voice.

“I don’t want your companionship. I want Luhan’s. Now release him.” she fought back.

“Who do you think you are, Han Yeonhwa? Do you really think I would not get rid of you the way I got rid of Wu Yifan?” he narrowed his eyes, his voice laced with malice.

“Release him. I have something to offer you in return.” replied Yeonhwa.

 

Tao’s grip on the glass loosened and his brows rose in interest. He stepped closer to Yeonhwa, towering over her petite figure as he scrutinized her.

 

“What could you possibly have to offer to me, Han Yeonhwa?” he asked, his tone condescending.

“I will officially become your wife.”

 

-

 

“You shouldn’t have done that, Your Highness! Forgive me for saying this but that was stupid!” yelled Luhan.

 

Luhan was immediately released after Yeonhwa had made her offer, and after a few days, he recovered from his injuries and quickly learned of Yeonhwa’s outrageous actions.

 

“I had no choice, Luhan. It was either this or your head off.” she retorted.

“Then you should’ve gone with the latter! What would His Majesty think of your actions? Did you think of that? He’d lose his mind!” said Luhan, pacing around the room.

 

Yeonhwa had her eyes fixed on the floor as she sat on the couch. Her eyes were b with tears but she managed to keep them from falling. Luhan finally noticed her silence and sat down across her, letting out a deep sigh.

 

“That was the reason why I did this, Luhan. I need you to help me find Yifan. I could never do this alone. You’re my only hope.” she said, her voice soft.

 

Luhan stared at her and pursed his lips. He now felt bad for yelling at her. It was true that she had no other choice. She was, after all, completely alone. The Emperor was not by her side, nor was Joonmyeon.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter