1/1

Wonpil's Aegyo

Wonpil is an...interesting guy. I still remember the first time he kissed me. It went something like this: I was sitting on the floor in the living room of our dorm restringing my guitar. Everyone else had gone out to buy snacks but Mr. Pillow said he was too sleepy to go with them and I had already told them I needed to change my strings so I guess it made sense for him to stay behind and nap since he wouldn't be alone. I was minding my own business, tuning the final string when he walked out of his room, rubbing his eyes and lazily dragging his bare feet. I glanced up at him for a second but it wasn't like he was mentally “there” enough to have a conversation so I looked back down to finish what I was doing. The next thing I knew, he had crouched down next to me and wrapped his arms around my neck in one of the tightest hugs I'd ever experienced.
“Uh hey, Pil...bro.” I didn't know what else to say.
He just hummed in response. Why was he squeezing me so tightly? Was he half asleep or something? Before I could even register what happened, he'd kissed me on the cheek and ran off back into his room giggling and shut the door behind him. What the actual heck? Weirdo.

The second time he kissed me was a bit more...risque. It was early one morning when I'd showered before everyone else. I knew I had to finish getting dressed and ready to head out to our regular schedules – but I just wasn't feeling it so I kinda crashed on the floor in my boxers for a few extra minutes. As I drifted back off to sleep, I woke up to the feeling of his lips on my cheek yet again. When I opened my eyes all I saw were his hovering over me. Obviously, I didn't know how to react. I was shocked and like...embarrassed and stuff. What made matters worse was when I realized that he was basically on top of me wearing only a plain t-shirt and boxers. He was kneeling down with his arms and legs on both sides of me. He was just -- how the heck did he even manage to get into that position without waking me up!? Freaking ninja. What does one do in a situation like that other than blush? That's exactly what I did.
“Good morning, Hyung.” He practically laughed, flashing a glimpse of those shark-like teeth of his and his trademark dimples. What was this kid doing and why wasn't I punching him for it? Once again, he got up and left before I could fully react, though this time he didn't even try to run. It wasn't that he moved fast at all, it was that I was just too stunned to really even move at a slow pace.

You could almost describe Wonpil as a walking contradiction. Have you ever noticed the difference between the aura he gives off when he's smiling vs. when he isn't? How about the difference between his speaking voice and his singing voice? Even better, have you noticed his general vibe onstage as opposed to offstage? I guess Wonpil was always confusing to all of us. When we first met him, he looked pretty intimidating or “cold” as he would describe it. Little did any of us know that he was 1. Younger than any of us and 2. A damn aegyo machine, one of those people who liked getting attention and affection from people and was remarkably good at getting it by using cuteness and charm. How else could someone who looks as (relatively) manly as he does naturally, break down the defenses of a bunch of other guys around the same age enough for them to view him as adorable? Dude even tends to have stubble! The funny thing is that the day Wonpil leaned over me to kiss me, his eyes didn't give off either of the vibes people would expect from him. There was something else there...something to subtle for me to really describe.

The third time Wonpil kissed me, I'd had enough. Everyone was sleeping except for me; I was sitting in my usual spot on the floor, typing up lyrics for a song idea I wanted to pitch to the other guys. I could see him walking out of his room using my peripherals (TM) (though I probably shouldn't give myself too much credit, he didn't seem to be trying to be sneaky about it). I pretended not to notice a thing. I let him get close enough to me to kneel down and kiss me again – this time a lot closer to my lips. As he got up to do his usual ninja vanish (TM) I grabbed his wrist.
“Can I be honest with you for a second?” When I asked that question, I saw yet another thing in his eyes that I'd never seen before: fear.
“Hyung, I'm sorry! I was just being silly. I thought you guys liked it when I act cute.”
“Wonpil, can I be honest with you?” I asked again, kind of insisting really. He paused for a second. Was I asking a complicated question or something?
“Yes.” He finally answered in a way that sounded more like a defeated sigh than actual human speech.
“You don't have to apologize.”
“I...don't?”
“No. And for the record, you also don't need to do hide behind aegyo and do this sneaky crap.” He just stared at me. Obviously he either didn't believe what I was saying or didn't understand it...so I decided to help make things clear. I pulled him back down towards me and this time I gave him the kiss and for once it was directly on the lips. Having never kissed a guy before, I didn't know exactly what I was doing or the usual etiquette or whatever but it felt nice and I think I did okay. “Just in case that wasn't clear: Honestly, I'd kiss you whenever you want.” It was his turn to blush as he simply sat down beside me with that shark tooth smile plastered on his face. Who am I to judge? Chicken Little had to smile as well.

Wonpil is an interesting guy and now I think we have an understanding that I like that.