Sargasso

Groundswell
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Sargasso Sea is home to seaweed of the genus sargassum, which floats en masse on the surface there. The sargassum is not a threat to shipping, and historic incidents of sailing ships being trapped there are due to the often calm winds of the horse latitude.

--

If there was anything surging through Mina’s head, it was the lone thought that she had no idea what to expect— Jungyeon, so far, had been a very quirky character, after all. She’s smart enough to at least infer that this baby Jungyeon speaks of is not a human baby, but perhaps a vehicle of some kind. Since more than half of the school’s population (or so Mina guesses) had swarmed in the cafeteria, the hallways were empty enough to waltz across.

 

Jungyeon continues to pull her along, giving nods as congenial ‘hello’s to a few people loitering along the corridors. They all looked at Mina as if she was a new toy put on display in the nursery, and she didn’t like it one bit. Jungyeon somehow notices her discomfort, though her expression was vague, and thus gives her a smile of assurance and a squeeze on the wrist so that she’d avert her attention to her instead.

 

“They’re not so bad. They just aren’t used to me hanging out with freshmen-- I’m usually with the other inhabitants of the sixth floor.” Jungyeon’s words comfort Mina, but not entirely. She just nods as a form of acknowledgement; her expression remains the same. Jungyeon doesn’t pry any further, keeping it unspoken that Mina in face intimidates her to a certain extent. “I’ll introduce you to them— probably tonight.” She adds this in a tone soft and uncertain, obviously somehow wishing that she hadn’t dictated that in the first place. She hears no response from Mina, but doesn’t dare turn her head back (because she knew she would be faced with a scowl on the younger girl’s soft features).

 

They exit the school’s main building, both padding off towards the university parking lot. Rows and rows of luxury vehicles lined up stagnant, all giving off a certain shine under the shine of the sun. This is as if a constant reminder that the school she had enrolled to is a prestigious one— but one that harbors a name for the children that practically owned their parents’ wallets. She would probably never admit to this, but it was the same for Mina— in fact, she was a phone call to daddy away from owning a luxury car like everyone else in that university.

 

“And here she is,” the sound of Jungyeon’s voice snaps her out of her small trance, making her avert her gaze to whatever the other girl was gesturing towards. “Isn’t she a beauty?” Mina doesn’t mean to, but her eyes noticeably widen at the sight; it was a pick-up truck that was peppered with dents and its exterior paint was just about ready to give up. Jungyeon sports a toothy grin, and Mina just gives her a blank look for a time. “Surprised?” Jungyeon laughs, fingers digging into her pocket in search for her keys. “I run on scholarship, if the beat up car doesn’t give it away.” The tone at which she spoke didn’t entail any pleading for pity whatsoever. Rather, she sounded like she was proud.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter