Jurassic Exo

Ficlet HQ

"Jurassic Exo" Implied!Krislayhan


 

The two of them darted around the hill as quick as they dared. It was wise not to move too quickly and make known their presence. After all, those little dinosaurs were easy to alert, and after what happened to their manager-hyung earlier, Lay and Luhan weren’t willing to make a single error ever again.

“Luhan,” the younger whispered frantically. “Hurry up. I think if we can make it to the fence line we’ll be safe for a while.”

“And how exactly is a fence going to stop them?” Luhan replied, breathlessly.

“It’s electric. They can’t get past it!”

“If it’s electric, then how are we going to get past it?”

Lay grabbed his arm and they bent over underneath some brush, a palm tree frond swiping Luhan’s head and he jumped a little bit in fright.

“Shhh,” Lay warned him. “We can get through. There’s a small door meant for humans to get through safely.”

“Is that was Kris told you earlier?” Luhan sniffed. It had been the last word they had from the rest of their team members before the radio equipment went dead and they’d lost all communication.

“Yes, and he said if we could all make it there safely we should be able to stay there and wait for help to arrive.”

“I don’t believe them,” Luhan whined. He wanted to go home. He wanted to see the rest of his team. He missed Kris especially, and not knowing what had happened to the rest of them made his heart skip a beat and his body want to stop functioning altogether. Except, Lay was right. They had to try.

The fence was in sight, finally. Luhan could hear it buzzing, and the gate itself was visible and fortunately intact.

The only problem was it was separated from him and Lay by a long open stretch of grass. They’d done well to plan their route to keep upwind of the reptiles, but on open territory, if they tried to make a run for it, would they be seen? Could they do it fast enough? The gate had a mean looking handle bar on it that could require some effort to pry open.

Lay tried to figure it out while Luhan looked around carefully. They had to time this just right if they wanted to make it out alive.

Lay squinted his eyes in concentration. “I think… I know how it will open. Okay, are you ready?”

“What do you mean, you think? Do you know? 100 percent, do you know?”

“90 percent, and that’s a better chance than what we have right now sitting in the bushes,” Lay said.

“Fine.”

“Alright, on 3…”

Something rustled in the bushes behind them.

“2…”

Something else pounded off into the distance, but coming ever closer.

“We don’t have time for 2. Run!” Luhan shrieked.

Across the greenery they darted as if their lives depended on it. They lives did depend on it after all. But of course as soon as they started moving, whatever had followed them moved too.

“Velociraptors!” Luhan cried, as he and Lay ran faster. The stretch to the gate wasn’t far, and they had a head start but that didn’t make it any easier. Not when they both clattered to the chain-link gate and Lay started frantically messing with the bar across the door.

“Hurry!”

“I am!”

The pounding of something larger echoed even closer, and Luhan frantically found a fallen tree branch. It wouldn’t help against a tyrannosaurus, but he might buy them a few vital seconds while Lay worked on the gate. The first of the little creatures was already halfway across the green.

“Luhan! Lay!”

The voice wasn’t theirs. It came from behind them. Behind the gate, in the safe zone. Was it Kris? It had to be!

He couldn’t turn around to find out though. With all his might he swung his tree branch across the face of the first velociraptor. It didn’t do much, but just then he heard the gate creak open and Lay was shouting at him to run through.

“Luhan! Hurry!”

Again it wasn’t Lay’s voice. It was Kris! It just had to be!

The velociraptor was already returning for strike two. Luhan couldn’t run without it following them through. The rest of the pack had scattered when the tyrannosaurus appeared, but this one refused to budge…

Luhan dodged it, but a layer of teeth had pierced his arm through, and the blood flowed freely. The dinosaur veered in again, and Luhan raised his arm for the final swing. One more and he could back in through the open gate in time to get it closed… He held his breath and waited for the attack….

 

 

**Drabble included originally as an unfinished fic within my story, 'Write Me Into Fiction, Hyung'