One

Platonic love or what?

As I put my bag inside the car, I rested and waited patiently for mom to finish whoever-knows what she has been doing inside the house. It's turning 2 am and we still have a long and unomfortable ride going to my auntie's house, but mom is still taking too long. I sighed as i rummaged throught my phone, a sudden idea popped in my head as I scan my contacts.

'The very bestfriend' I clicked and called the person I wanted to annoy, on the third ring he finally answered my call. "What's up?" I grinned mischievously knowing he is getting annoyed by now.

"Seriously, Ahreum? What's up?" He answered after hearing so much exhaling, I smiled. "It's like, what, 3 or 4 am, and your asking what's up? You gotta be kidding me."

I stiffled my laugh, trying to suppress it but ended up failing. "OMG. Im sorry. Ha ha ha. I knew you'd be annoyed. And correction it's, 2 am something." I reasoned.

"Honey, who are you talking to?" I heard my mom as she approach the car, finally, we're going. 'It's Baekhyun' i mouthed and showed my phone.

"Hey. Are you going somewhere? Im sure i heard a car being started." I was back on life when i heard him speak.

"Oh. Yeah right. That was why i called to tell you im going somewhere," i paused as i put my seatbelt on. I heard him hummed in response, "so, dont even try to miss me, it's your birthday! Happy birthday dummy!"

"Dummy, huh?" He snickered.

"What? I said buddy not dummy, you must be still sleepy. Go to bed Baek. And I hope Im the first person who greeted you." I tell him and smiled.

"What? I heard it clearly, you called me dummy." I laughed at his reaction.

"Bye Baek. Love you and don't miss me too much, kay?" I didn't even wait for his answer before hanging up the call.

I plastered a smile as I put my phone down to my lap and sighed. "So you must really liked Baekhyun?" I heard my mom.

What? No? Of course not? Who would like to have a crush on that dimwit. I laughed innerly. "Of course not mom," I answered wearily. Seriously, how many times does my mom need to point out her cryptic observation.

"Why not?" She pondered.

"My mother here on earth," I sighed "I told we are nothing more than best friend and he's gay."

End of conversation and then the next thing I know, we arrived at my aunt's house.

 

 


 

 


"The room I readied for you is upstairs at the right corner, 3rd door." My aunt instructed me, I bowed politely. The moment we entered the lodge, owned by my aunt, we were greeted by her. A few 'i miss you' was exchange between the two. My mom and my aunt is the sole reason why I wanted a sister. Their bond never change even now that they have their own families. My mom and I visits my aunt yearly, whether sleeping on the house, going out of town or visiting my aunt's business. Yeah, lodging is my aunt's business, she runs it together with her husband. This is my first time here, actually.

I started unpacking my clothes when i heard someone entering my room. I looked at the intruder and my lips automatically stretched into a wide grin. "Yuna!!" I shouted as we run towards each other and hugged like no tomorrow. Yuna is the only daughter of my aunt, and my sister-like cousin. "Wow! You had your hair cut?" I amused and touched her now very short hair.

"Yeah. Finally, right? I look gorgeous, right?" She said with so much confidence and might. I turned around and acted like i lost my interest. "Yah!"

I faced her and said, "bang, bang, bang. You look gorgeous." I laughed at her anticipation. I walked to my bed and continued unpacking.

Yuna went straight to my bed and got herself comfortable. "Do you want to go out? Tonight?" I shook my head no. "Okay, tomorrow? There's a festival at the city. Tomorrow's the last day, though."

"Okay." I answered

"We could go alone or we could go with dates, what do you think?" She asked as she busies herself wjth my clothes. "Wow, this looks cute. Wear this tomorrow." She smiled at me.

What the? I don't remember bringing this. "Uh. I prefer to go with you alone. And no, i wont wear this." I snatched the object from her hands. "Who even wores

flowy dress-shirt on autumn?" I scanned the clothes in disgust, and its a sleeveless for pete's sake.

"You could actually top it with a jacket or what, duh." She retorted, stating the obvious.


Fast-forward to tomorrow's night. I ended up wearing the flowy dress-shirt with a cardigan topping it. "It wasn't so bad." Yuna slyly said and scanned me from head to toe. "Off we go!" She exclaimed and linked her arms with me, literally dragging me down.

"Bye mom, bye aunt." I had managed to shout before leaving.

 

 


 

 


We actually did nothing but scanned through booths, ate to our heart's desire, catch up with all the happenings in life and tried some festival games. We were about to go to the place where most people are heading to now, the festival is ending with fireworks and we had find a good spot to witness it. We stayed at the place near the lake, the float where the fireworks will be lit is at the center of it. It was getting stuffy at that place, too, as the festival reach it end. The people started counting down to 10. It was a beauty, indeed. Fireworks are unnatural scenery that people mostly enjoy. I was about to gush at how beautiful it is when I realized that Yuna is no longer beside me. Unluckily, I turned around just in time for a boy to smudge his food on me.

Ugh was the only word that escaped my mouth. The boy didn't forget to apologize, though. Luckily, it was only the cardigan that had dirt on. I had no choice but to remove it. I went out of the crowd and started looking for my oh-so-gorgeous cousin. "Yuna." I shouted, i didn't care if i looked like a lost child. I went walking looking for her when I witnessed the most shocking, yet intriguing event of my 18 years of existence.

I just saw my very bestfriend, "Baekhyun..." I said, not sure of what im seeing. He turned around, surprised as I am. "You're making out?" I questioned, my eyes darting from him to the girl, and again. I heard the girl questioned about me. Out of the blue, words came out of my mouth, "But I thought your gay..."

 

S L A P