Excitement and Exasperation

Family Business

“I don’t want to go. It’s stupid.”

Her father, Park Do-hoon, the CEO of highly successful Park Entertainment sent his youngest daughter a small pout.

“Oh come on Joy, you don’t have to stay for long. I promise it’ll be fun. Everyone is going to be there, even Jinri is going!”

The oldest raised her head slightly from her cereal at the mention of her name.

“Hm?” Jinri glanced at her father and then at Joy, “Oh yeah, it’s gunna be really fun Joy you have to come!” She nodded encouragingly at her younger sister. Their father nodded with her, giving Joy a big smile.

After a moment of looking between them, hoping they would give up on their request, Joy frowned and sighed at them both.

“Alright, I’ll go.”

Jinri and their father high fived in the middle of the table after a short victory exclamation.

“What are you going to dress up as?” Jinri asked.

Joy widened her eyes.

“You have to dress up?”

Jinri nodded in response.

“I have no clue, I didn’t even know I was going to this party!” Joy said, getting increasingly frustrated. “What are you going to dress up as?” Joy turned the question back at her sister.

Jinri blushed a little at the question, “Well uh.. It’s a little weird.” She laughed nervously.

Joy raised an eyebrow.

“No no noo it’s not that kind of weird I swear! I’m going as one of those old timey newspaper boys.”

Joy paused for a moment before laughing.

“That’s weird.”

Jinri smacked her sister on the arm.

“The ad was cute.”

Joy’s laughing ceases but her mood her definitely improved, maybe this Halloween party wouldn’t be so bad. However, there was still one problem.

“Really though, what am I going to dress up as? Do I even have time to get a costume?” Joy looked expectantly at Jinri for suggestions. Her sister raised a hand to and furrowed her brow in thought.

“Oh! I have an idea!” She exclaimed, “I was going to meet up with Sunny before the party since her apartment is so close to the company building.”

“And?” Joy questioned.

And you can borrow one of her Halloween costumes since I know she bought more than one!” Jinri smiled brightly at her brilliant solution.

“One small problem Jinri, Sunny is a midget and I, on the other hand, am not.”

“I know our cousin is a midget but you don’t have much of a choice do you?” Jinri countered.

Joy opened to reply.

“No you don’t.” Jinri finished, putting a spoonful of cereal in .

Joy sighed. She really didn’t have much of a choice, since she really didn’t want to go out and buy one.

“Fine.”

Later in the day, the two sisters arrived at Sunny’s apartment, greeted by their older cousin’s cat Sogeum as they entered.

Joy quickly scooped up the cat and patted her head as she followed the two older women into her cousin’s bedroom, which was currently littered with various colorful costumes. It seemed that when Jinri said Sunny had bought more than one costume, she really wasn’t kidding.

Joy set down the cute squirming cat, which looked slightly more satanic than herself somehow, and gaped at the mess.

“Um, Sunny.” Jinri began.

“Yeah Jinri?” Sunny replied with a high pitched hum.

“What… Is this?”

“This is my room Jinri, you’ve been here before.” The shortest woman chuckled, dismissively waving a hand at her cousins as she tossed some clothes around the room.

The two sisters, Joy and Jinri, shared a look. Joy shrugged.

“Hey Sunny what is your costume for tonight?” The younger sister asked, and just in time, Sunny lifted an arm victoriously holding something a little odd looking.

“You’ll see once I put it on.” The eldest smiled mischievously.

“Aaaaalright,” Joy drawled out, a little worried, but she continued anyway. “Would you happen to have a costume I could borrow?”

Sunny looked around the room at the mess of costumes laying on the floor.

“No.”

The room went dead silent.

“Not funny Soonkyu.”

Sunny burst out laughing, Jinri following as well as Joy simply shook her head and started rummaging through the costumes, she was starting to get a little worried however, because most of the costumes were a little… revealing.

After Sunny’s small laughing fit ceased, she took it upon herself to help out her younger cousin. She pulled out a small mass of yellow and black and tossed it at Joy.

“Wear this, it was a little big on me when I bought it.”

Jinri pulled the costume off her sister’s face and held it out for a better view.

“Pfft.” She started laughing. “It suits you Joy,” Jinri said mockingly, waving it around a little.

Joy looked up from her crouched position and stood.

It was a bumblebee.

A freaking tiny bumblebee.

Joy cringed.

“Is this all you have that will fit me?”

Sunny nodded innocently.

“Sorry I don’t buy all my costumes two sizes too big.” She deadpanned.

Joy just sighed. It would be a long night indeed.

Sunny then turned to Jinri.

“I’m surprised you want to go to this Halloween party, Jinri, parties aren’t usually your thing.” She said.

“I… Just thought it would be fun? Halloween, you know?” Jinri looked slightly nervous as she answered with a small laugh.

“It couldn’t be that you heard a certain Jung Soojung will be attending this party could it?” Sunny wiggled her eyebrows.

Jinri reddened considerably.

Joy smirked, forgetting her current predicament as she playfully nudged her sister.

“That’s… Not it..” Jinri muttered, looking around the room aimlessly.

“Does our little Jinri have a crushy-wushy?” Sunny teased, stepping closer and pulling on Jinri’s cheeks.

“Is Jinri trying to get her first kiss?” Joy joined in, making kissy faces at Jinri, to which Jinri replied with a firm shove to her sister.

“Shut up you guys. We gotta get ready for this party.” Jinri’s face remained red as she changed the subject. Sunny and Joy laughed a little but complied.

Sunny turned around and pulled her costume into more plain view as she stepped into the one-piece. She plopped an odd looking hat on her head.

“Ta dah!” Sunny exclaimed. “Whaddaya think?” She spread her arms out.

It was very orange, to say the least. Her hat was blue, and upon closer inspection, she had a letter printed on her stomach.

Joy burst out laughing and Jinri looked confused for a moment, not quite getting it.

Sunny smiled big, pointing at the large ‘D’.

“I’m Sunny D!”

It was going to be a long night.

~~~

 

A dark haired girl knocked on the apartment door of Bae Joohyun, the top model for Park Entertainment under the stage name Irene. She waited with a blank face as she heard various scuffles from the other side and a faint “I’ll be right there!”

The door opened quickly to reveal a beauty dressed in a cutesy baby blue Lolita dress, complete with white frills. Even the chic girl waiting for the door could not deny her amazement at the shorter, yet older woman’s perfectly pretty face at a close range.

“Hey Soojung,” Joohyun spoke softly in her bell-like voice, a smile gracing her lips.

“Hi Irene,” Soojung replied.

Joohyun opened the door wider and Soojung walked past the pouting Joohyun into her apartment.

“I told you to call me Joohyun, didn’t I?” Joohyun said as she shut the door and followed the younger girl into the living room, where Soojung had made herself comfortable on the couch.

“Yeah, I guess it’s just weird to call the Irene Bae, Joohyun.” She shrugged, crossing her legs. “Aren’t you a little old to be pouting like that?”

Joohyun gasped and (not so) lightly punched Soojung’s arm.

“I’m not that much older than you!” Joohyun crossed her arms after her attack.

Soojung laughed a little before getting to her point.

“So, about this company Halloween party tonight,” She began.

“Yeah?”

“Why do I have to go to it?”

“What do you mean?” Joohyun tilted her head slightly, her brow furrowing.

“I mean, I’m just a trainee model. No one is going to miss me if I don’t go.” Soojung reasoned.

Joohyun simply sighs.

“Silly silly Soojung,” Joohyun replied, sitting on the other side of the couch. “We’re models, this is what we do. We go there, we look pretty, and we act professional. Don’t worry though, it’ll be fun! Our CEO throws the best holiday parties!” Joohyun waved her hands a little in defense of the party.

Soojung sighed, there really was no argument she could pose against Joohyun’s reasoning.  

“So Soojung, I was wondering since you came in…” Joohyun started, glancing down at the younger girl’s attire. “What or uh, who exactly are you dressed up as?”

Soojung looked down as well and then back at Joohyun.

“Oh, I’m Magenta from the Rocky Horror Picture Show, don’t you know it?”

“I uh.. Don’t think I’ve ever seen that.” Joohyun answered truthfully, looking a little startled in an odd way. “Is that something the kids are into nowadays?”

Soojung simply stared at Joohyun, partially in disbelief.

“It’s a classic, kinda.” Soojung replied, and Joohyun looked even more surprised, so Soojung quickly added “It’s more American though, so I understand why you wouldn’t have seen it.”

Not unnoticed by Soojung, Joohyun let out a small sigh of relief.

“Is your hair supposed to be um… Like that?” Joohyun asked next, reaching a hand out to bounce softly against the poofs.

“Yeah it is,” Soojung chuckled softly. “And you’re supposed to be Alice, I take it?”

“Yep!” Joohyun brightened considerably, letting out a small laugh. “I’m American too!”

Soojung cringed slightly.

“Wrong country Bae, Alice is British.”

Joohyun paused, blinking a few times.

“Oh.”

“Shouldn’t we get going soon?” Soojung quickly filled the silence, glancing at her phone for the time.

“Yeah, we should.” Joohyun replied, smiling as she stood. “Is it alright if I go put in one last load of laundry before we go? I just got a new fabric softener that I’m dying to use.” Her tone brightened continuously at the mention of her laundry.

Soojung nodded, pulling out her phone to mess around on as she waited.

“Take your time.”

~~~

 

Solar smiled as she typed in the “2” button assigned in her phone as Moonbyul’s speed dial; while bringing the cellphone to her ear, Solar found herself eager to begin the rest of her day. While waiting for Byulyi to pick up, she turned her head to see Yerim skip in as best she could with two armfuls of supplies weighing her down. They share a smile before Solar heard the distinct sound of the phone being answered.

“Hey Yongsun,” Came Moonbyul’s voice.

“Yo Byulyi, when are you coming over?”

“Umm, around 6, that alright?”

“Yep sounds good, what are you dressing up as?”

“A dog,” Moonbyul said as she let out a small laugh.

“Aww that sounds cute!!” Solar cooed, joining with a little squeal of her own laughter. A small moment of silence on the line with Solar simply smiling is ended shortly by Moonbyul’s inquiry.

“So what are you going to be Yongsun?”

“It’s a seeeecret!” Solar drawled out. Moonbyul shortly heard bursts of laughter from both Solar and Yerim in the background.

“What, no fair! I told you what I am!”

“You’ll know later! See you soon Byulyi!” Solar quickly ended, the laugher continuing.

“Wait-”

The line went dead and Moonbyul just sighed, her previously furrowed brow softening with a big smile on her face.

Solar laughed a little more and turned to Yerim.

“So how’s it coming so far?”

Yerim swung up her thumb in a thumbs up position as she continued sorting through the things she had just carried in, clearly working hard on her task.

“Going great! Almost done.” She replied cheerfully.

“It looks amazing, I think you’ve really outdone yourself Yerim.” Solar complimented, putting her hands on her hips as she studied her soon-to-be costume.

“Thanks mom!” Yeri brightly smiled in response, which reminded Solar of herself in a very endearing way that swelled her chest with glee, and just like before, her own wide smile crept up on her.

“I can finish it up, why don’t you go get your costume on?” She suggested to Yerim, who turned her head quickly, seemingly reluctant to leave her project.

“Really?”

Solar nodded and Yerim rushed out of the room with great haste, heading straight for her bedroom where her costume was already set out.

Solar laughed at Yerim’s antics and shook her head, picking up directly where Yerim had left off on her costume. She couldn’t help the few laughs that escaped her, thinking of the end product.

Faster than Solar ever expected, Yerim burst back in the room in record time wearing perhaps the cutest Winnie the Pooh onesie in the world. Or maybe Yerim just made it look like the cutest thing ever.

“Done!!” Yerim yelled, a small sheen of sweat beading on her forehead, the only indication of her breakneck speed.

“Eager much?” Solar chuckled.

“This is my masterpiece,” Yerim said, jokingly offended, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

“Well your masterpiece is done, help me get it on.”

They pull and push, a very difficult process. Yerim even climbs up on the dining room table to get a better access point to slide the costume onto Solar. It wasn’t the most graceful of transformations.

“Ow!! Yerim! Be more gentle!” Solar yelped as Yerim nudged her just a little too hard. She jerked back a little but continued in her efforts.

“Sorry sorry! Art is pain!”

Suddenly, the doorbell chimed and they both froze. Solar began to shuffle closer to the hallway so she could glance at the front door, and Yerim followed along, stepping across various items on the table as she continuously tried to get the costume on Solar.

“Oh no, it must be Byulyi…” Solar muttered under her breath, obviously a little worried.

Without warning, Yerim gave one last huge tug on the costume and Solar screamed loudly in both surprise and pain, stumbling not-so-gracefully into the hallway.

Moonbyul - dressed in a brown, one-piece dog costume topped off with simple painted whiskers, nose, and floppy ears - heard the scream from outside of the house where she stood, and she couldn’t help but become very worried. She angled herself closer to the door to listen for any more noises, and was able to detect the sound of quick, bounding footsteps coming closer to the door.

Yerim swung open the door quickly, looking out of breath.

“Hey Byulyi,” She smiled and Moonbyul looked at her, very confused, but before she could question anything, Yerim pulled her inside and shut the door.

The next thing Moonbyul saw was Solar, arms outstretched in a “Y” formation looking very surprised with still open from screaming a few seconds earlier.

Yerim sure was a quick kid.

“Really Yongsun?”

They both stared at each other for a while, Yerim looking almost expectantly between them with a big smile on her face before they all burst out in laughter.

“What in the world are you supposed to be?” Moonbyul finally thought to ask as their laughter died down. Solar seemed mentally (definitely not physically) prepared to answer this question.

“Isn’t it obvious? I’m the sun!” Solar flipped her hair with her response. And indeed she was the sun, a good 3 foot diameter of yellow paper mache surrounding her.

“Oh my god..” Moonbyul breathed out, on the verge of face-palming.

“Yerim and I were watching tv the other day and we saw this commercial with this dude dressed up as the sun, isn’t it perfect?” Solar explained excitedly, gesturing with her arms as best as she could seeing as they were very restricted by her huge costume at the moment. “He was selling breakfast food! Our favorite!”

Yerim nodded with vigor, just as enthusiastic about the situation.

Moonbyul just sighed, but didn’t stop smiling for an instant.

“I’ll admit, it’s a pretty good idea,” Moonbyul said. “But, I don’t know how we’re gunna get you in the taxi.”

Solar and Yerim looked at each other with wide eyes and then back at Moonbyul.

“We didn’t think that far…”

Moonbyul sighed again and gestured for them to head outside, while Solar and Yerim quickly grabbed their few things as they followed.

The taxi driver looked at them horrified as Yerim smiled at him, she recited the address to the company building as she smoothly slid in the passenger seat. Leaving Solar and Moonbyul to figure out the rest on their own.

It was them against the world.

Solar opened the back door and visibly paled.

“Byulyi, I’m gunna need you to push me.” She turned to Moonbyul, a determined glint in her eye.

Moonbyul gulped but nodded, straightening up and giving a small salute to Solar.

“Yes ma’am.”

Solar gave her a curt nod and began getting in the car, Moonbyul rolled up her paws and sleeves before widening her stance behind Solar’s struggling form. Bending herself down to the level of the taxi, she lowered her shoulder similar to a football running back trucking forward and pushed. The force caused Solar to let out a puff of air, and the paper mache made disagreeing noises back at Moonbyul, which alerted Yerim to turn around, looking incredulously at them. Were they trying to ruin her hard work?

“HEY BE CAREFUL WITH MY MASTERPIECE.” Yeri yelled at Moonbyul, gripping her headrest as she tried to get a better look at what was going on.

“I’M TRYING.” Moonbyul grunted in response, only pushing slightly less intensely on Solar’s slowly inching form. Meanwhile Solar was gripping on whatever she could inside the car in an attempt to slide herself forward.

After about 5 full minutes they managed to shove Solar completely into the taxi, Moonbyul and Solar were, at this point, drenched in sweat and panting.

“Good job guys!” Yerim smiled at them, giving a small thumbs up and paying no mind to the two sets of glares that were sent her way. “Let’s go Mr. Taxi!”

~~~

 

A shiny silver elevator stopped with a small chime, an arrow pointing upward to show the direction of their intended destination and Joy, Jinri, Sunny, Mr., and Mrs. Park stepped into its interior.

After a moment of only the sound of a whirring elevator, Joy broke the silence.

“Mom, Dad, are you guys seriously undead?” She asked, looking again at her parent’s somewhat over-the-top bloody and ripped up costumes.

“Hey, my job is harder than you might think. Can’t always be alive and well under this stress.” Her father laughed, and a few chuckles emerged at his joke.

Joy sighed, giving a small shake of her head.

“Our parents are being more fun than you right now Joy, you’re a party pooper that didn’t even wanna come tonight.” Jinri said and Joy glared at her, giving her a slight shove. Joy had been having second thoughts on the whole party thing and complained a whole lot after changing into Sunny’s bumblebee costume. It seemed as though Jinri would be getting a lot of those shoves tonight.

“Well aren’t we supposed to look professional in front of the employees?” Joy inquired, trying to defend her case.

“You ain’t looking too professional honey,” Sunny chuckled and patted Joy’s that was hardly covered by the lower half of the bumblebee costume.

“Hey! It’s not my fault that you’re really too short for me to be borrowing clothes from” Joy blushed and pulled down the striped skirt self-consciously. “I didn’t want to come to this anyway so I didn’t have time to pick out a more proper outfit, you can’t blame me for that..” She muttered.

The elevator opened, ending the teasing, and Joy was eager to walk out quickly ahead of the rest of the group, a somewhat irritated look on her face. Her little bumblebee antennas bounced harshly with each angry step.

It really was going to be a long night.

Abruptly, Joy stopped in her tracks, eyes wide and gaze unwavering at a single point, or rather, a single person in the crowd.  The dark room made the bright yellow costume stick out like a sore thumb, but Joy doubted the yellow had a thing to do with that brightness.

When did they hire such a pretty face?

 

A/N:

Hey there, my sister told me to say this but you wanna know what's intense?

Camping.

Now that that's over with, thanks for taking the time to read the first chapter! I apologize for any mistakes, I proofread a few times but it's past 1 am currently and I wrote this chapter all in one night soo... yeah. I also want to warn you that this slice of life story may be kinda long so I hope you'll bear with me haha. There will be TONS of cameos from pretty much all the girl groups I follow, another warning there. Other characters will be introduced later, and we've got that Halloween party to look forward to next chapter. 

Thanks again and see you soon!