/ 3 : Legend Has It

Three Terrifying Tales

“Hyung, please!” Namjoon’s whine was loud enough to flow right through the earphones that Yoongi was using to drown out Namjoon’s voice, not that it was working. Yoongi shifted his feet off the couch and pulled his headphones off. Looks like ignoring him was not going to work today.

 

They’d spent the afternoon on the couch doing what they did everyday after school, watching TV and messing around on their phones. Nothing but the everyday occurrence, except that Namjoon had been dying to tell him something since the last bell had rang. The usually quiet and thoughtful best friend that Namjoon was had been replaced with something that Yoongi thought resembled a hyper puppy.

 

“Please what?” Yoongi asked. In all honesty he hadn’t heard what Namjoon was trying to talk about for the last ten minutes since they walked in the door. Yoongi didn’t hate talking to Namjoon, in fact he was probably Yoongi’s most favorite person. It’s just Yoongi would much rather stuff his face upon entering the door and watch a little television before engaging in yet another conversation. It was bad enough he had to talk at school.

 

Namjoon sighed but repeated his request anyway, clearly annoyed with his anti-social hyung. “I asked if we could go out to the woods tonight.” Yoongi raised and eyebrow and thought about where the nearest woods were. They lived in a neighborhood surrounded by other houses so.. what woods?

 

“Where is this magical forest exactly?” Yoongi asked. Namjoon wasn’t discouraged by his uninterested tone and continued on excitedly.

 

“Behind the school! Did you hear nothing I just said hyung?” Namjoon pulled out his phone and quickly pulled something up, handing it over for Yoongi so look at. “Everyone was talking about it today in class! You know, the legend about the kid that goes into the woods and then the werewolf bites him!” Yoongi looked at the blurry picture. There were lots of trees, definitely taken in the woods he noted. The picture showed a shadowed person pointing to the bottom right of the photo where a black blur was running out of view. The entire picture was far too dark and poorly taken in Yoongi’s opinion.

 

“What the hell am I looking at?” He asked. Namjoon took his phone back with an aggravated sound. “The werewolf hyung! Seriously..” He shook his head and Yoongi scoffed.

 

“Werewolf? Are you kidding me right now?”

 

“No, hyung! They say if you go to middle of the woods you’ll see it!” Namjoon was way to excited about this and Yoongi didn’t like where this was going. “We should go!” Annnnd there it was.

 

Yoongi laughed and shook his head. “No way. I’m not twelve.” Namjoon pouted and wow, was he twelve, because he could definitely pass as a little kid right now.

 

“Hyung, please.” Namjoon asked seriously. Yoongi sighed and got up.

 

“Fine, but let’s go right now, not going to the damn woods at night.” Namjoon jumped up excitedly and Yoongi thought this would maybe be worth all the trouble since he got to see his face light up like that. “C’mon, let’s head out.”

 

“You’re the best hyung ever.” Namjoon smiled and off they went.

 

+

 

Turns out it takes fifteen minutes to get to the school, and another ten to get to the woods that Namjoon had described as ‘behind the school’. By the time they arrived the sun was beginning to set. “Behind the school my ,” Yoongi grumbled. “This place is behind the school plus eight football fields.” Namjoon poked his side.

 

“Stop complaining. Hey, look! There it is!” Namjoon pointed to the left where a path led down where they could see just the tops of the woods. They walked closer and the path lead right up to the entrance of the wooded area. A sign was stuck into the ground, but it was illegible.

 

Somewhere nearby a crow cawed and Namjoon jumped.

 

“What the heck are you scared of a crow for if you think there’s a werewolf in there?” Yoongi asked, laughing a little. Namjoon coughed and shuffled a little closer to him.

 

“I’m not scared.” He argued. Whatever then, Yoongi just wanted to go in, get out, and go home. Pulling Namjoon by the elbow they entered the woods.

 

They stayed quiet for a little while, leaves crunching beneath their feet and the sounds of animals scurrying about kept the silence comfortable. The sun had set for the most part and so the bare trees surrounding them were only seen with the blue of night that you only see just before it gets too dark to walk any further. As they continued though, the comfortable silence became uncomfortable. Yoongi wasn’t particularly cold, but he shivered. The quiet crunch of leaves were now loud and each one made Namjoon inch a little closer.

 

Something bigger than a leaf crunched and Yoongi and Namjoon both turned their heads sharply to the right to see what it was. A rabbit met their horrified eyes and it hopped away. They looked back to each other and laughed at there jumpiness.

 

“So do you know where the middle of these woods are?” Yoongi asked when they continued. Namjoon thought for a moment. “I think there’s a clearing.” Well, that was a no if Yoongi ever heard one. Great. They walked a little further and then it was too dark to keep going. “C’mon Namjoon, we need to go back, it’s too late now.” Yoongi said, stopping. Namjoon kept going and Yoongi had to yell to get him to stop. “Hey! Namjoon!” Namjoon stopped and looked back. “Did you hear me? Let’s go home.” Namjoon looked confused and walked to where Yoongi had stopped.

 

The lighting was bad, but the way Namjoon was looking at Yoongi made him shiver and he had no choice but to blame it on the wind. “Why?”

 

“Um, it’s too dark you idiot. We’re going to have to head back right now if we don’t want to get lost.” Namjoon looked annoyed, and why the was he being like this all of a sudden?

 

“Don’t you have your cell?” Namjoon asked. Yoongi was about to say no, but he had it. Pulling it out, Namjoon started walking again, “Use that.” Yoongi quickly the flashlight feature and had to run to catch up.

 

“What the got into you?” Yoongi snapped. Namjoon didn’t pay any attention and kept walking. Yoongi was pissed that they weren’t on their way back, but he kept walking for two reasons: he wasn’t going to walk alone, and no way was he leaving Namjoon in the woods by himself. The ‘flashlight’ wasn’t the best, casting unnecessary shadows and over all being very crappy.

 

The further they walked the quieter it became. Not only was Namjoon refusing to reply, but the leafs that once were crushed to the ground made no sound, nor did any animal scurrying past make noise. It was unsettling and Yoongi really wanted to turn back, now.

 

Suddenly the feeling of being enclosed disappeared and so did Namjoon. “Namjoon?” He called out, turning the flashlight from the ground to the space next to him. Namjoon was gone and so were the trees. Yoongi called out again and took a few steps forward. He figured they were in the clearing when he looked to the other side only to see no trees there either.

 

“Namjoon?” Yoongi tried again. This time a snap of a twig made Yoongi look behind him. Namjoon stood, back to him, and then started walking away. “Hey!” Yoongi ran up to him, grabbing his jacket. Namjoon shoved him off and kept walking, leering off the path and into the woods where he was sure to get lost unless Yoongi stopped him. “What are you doing?!” Yoongi yelled, following him despite how much he wanted to run the other way. There was no way they were going to easily find their way back if they went any further.

 

Namjoon finally answered, though Yoongi almost wished he hadn’t.

 

“I need to see him.”

 

Since when had the werewolf gone from an ‘it’ to a ‘he’? Yoongi tried to keep up, legs at an almost sprint. “Namjoon! This is far enough!” He yelled. Namjoon stopped and oh god, ing finally he was going to listen for once. But no, he just stopped and Yoongi looked to where his blank face was staring.

 

A large figure stood ten feet away. Yoongi dropped his phone at the same time that the thing unhumanly laughed. Namjoon walked towards it and Yoongi scrambled to stop him. “Namjoon!” He shrieked, clawing at his friends jacket to get him to come back. Namjoon just smacked his arms away and walked further. Yoongi was crying and shaking so bad it took him a minute to find his phone.

 

He flashed the light ahead and the last thing he saw was Namjoon being led away by it before his light wasn’t bright enough to see any further. Yoongi stood up, not realizing Namjoon had even knocked him onto the ground. His legs shook violently as he took a step forward. He came to a realization that he needed to leave, that Namjoon wasn’t going to listen to him.

 

As much as he wanted to go find Namjoon, the sound of that.. that things laugh was echoing in his head. The run home seemed to take an eternity. Every twig he stepped on made him sob harder, the tears running down his face blurred his surroundings as he ran. When he reached the edge of the woods, he didn’t stop. Yoongi ran, and ran, and ran until he was past the school and right outside his door.

 

All the lights were out and Yoongi knew it was late enough that his parents were home in bed. His stomach hurt and he bent over his porch. He hurled and wiped his mouth on his jacket. He opened the door and locked it with trembling fingers. His crying had ceased, but his breath still came out in shaking gasps. He took off his shoes and ran to the bathroom, throwing up again.

 

The first thing he thought when he lifted his head was that he needed to tell someone, call the police. Wait, he could tell his parents and they would take care of this. Yeah. Yoongi stood up and caught himself in the mirror on the wall. His blond hair stuck up messily and his eyes were red and tired. He examined his face and found a cut that must have come from fall. He looked at his clothes. His shirt was clean, save for the sweat Yoongi was covered in despite feeling chilled to the bone. His pants were covered in dirt and had scratches on his ankles from running carelessly through the low growing plants.

 

As he walked to his parents bedroom, he raised his hand to open the door before he realized something: no one was going to believe him. Nothing he told anyone would sound real. Even now, after seeing, going through it, Yoongi thought it sounded like a bad dream. He lowered his hand and turned back, entering his own room instead.

 

He pulled his cover over his body and closed his eyes. He felt guilty, like this was his fault, but mostly he felt scared. Especially when he heard a tapping at his window, and that same deep, dark, inhuman laugh. It kind of sounded like Namjoon.