Your Deepest Desire

Your Deepest Desire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lights flared, and decorated the city where people roamed around cheerfully with their loved ones. No one noticed the blur that flit through them. No one noticed the woman who watched them with hatred and envy in her eyes. Her heels tapped against the concrete as she strolled through the night of the lively city that celebrated a comical occasion- at least that’s the way she saw it. She wore a black, long lacy dress that stopped at her ankles. She had a vicious smile on her face as she scanned every human that passed her by, but none of them caught her eye.

            None of them were special. Hyuna and her coven lived in the human world but she used her magic to disguise her and her sisters when she roamed around the streets causing chaos.  

            Her sisters tried to catch up to her, “Hyuna, please!” the youngest, Sohyun pleaded to her.

            “We beg of you-” Gayoon persisted.

            “THINK THIS THROUGH!” Jiyoon nearly glared at her sister for her stubbornness but she didn’t have the strength to be too aggressive with her.

            Jihyun caught up to her, grabbed her by her arm and forced her to look at her. A small part of her wish she hadn’t because Hyuna’s eyes turned menacingly red as her eyes burned into Jihyun’s eyes, “You don’t really want to do this…right?” she whispered and hoped her sister would back off, but Jihyun knew Hyuna better than anyone.

            Hyuna half smiled, peeled her sister’s hand off of her and placed her hand on her hip while her coy smile revealed her vicious intentions. Her long black, wavy hair fell to her waist and she flipped it before she spoke in the sweetest tone, “Sisters. Tomorrow night is Halloween, a celebration that these pathetic humans have created as their ideal form of…fun.” She scoffed. “They love fear, and the unknown, so why wouldn’t we have some fun of our own? Lighten up a bit, and let loose for once in your empty lives.” She turned her heel and looked around at the humans once more. She was disappointed as she stared at them but then finally someone caught her eyes. She looked excited and that frightened her sisters, but Hyuna ignored them and carefully watched her prey. 

            Feet away from her stood two friends looking into a clothing store with no interest in their eyes. They were only browsing, walking through the streets while they talked. Hyuna smiled, she raised a brow while she invaded their mental states. The two friends had something in common.“So, what do you think…?” Donghae asked nervously while his best friend Sungmin nervously tugged at his sleeves. “It’s too soon.” Donghae concluded when his best friend refused to look him directly in the eyes. He exhaled deeply.

            “No! No, no, no!” Sungmin spoke quickly, “I didn’t say that! It’s not that, Donghae and you know it! It’s just that…” he paused, “We both know that you’ve had your problems with Sulli…and…” he shrugged lightly. “Donghae, I’m your best friend, you know you can tell me anything.” Donghae nodded in agreement, “Now answer me this, do you really love her?”

            “Of course I love her.” Donghae said but he couldn’t look him in the eyes. He chewed on his lower lip as he looked around the park. “I do.” He whispered, and tried to convince himself more than Sungmin. “I love Sulli more than anything, but…” he shook his head, “Never mind, forget it.”

            “You can’t propose to her, Donghae.” Sungmin took him by his hand and looked him in the eyes. “You can’t promise someone a forever if you’ll be unhappy for the majority of it.” He exhaled deeply and forced a sweet smile, “Why don’t you sleep on it instead? See how the holidays go with her family and then decide if you can really see yourself spending the rest of your life with her.”

            Donghae looked his best friend in the eyes and whispered, “We both know I can’t fully love her or anyone else because…” he cleared his throat and blushed from the memory, “my heart is taken.” He whispered the last bit, his eyes becoming lost as he remembered moments that made him feel at bliss- he stared at nothing in particular.

            Hyuna’s eyes brightened before she turned to look at her sisters, “Ladies, Christmas is coming early this year.” She clapped her hands and raised a brow while he lip curled into a wicked smile, “I have decided to bless these poor unfortunate souls and give them what they truly desire.”

            “Hyuna, what are you saying?” Jiyoon frowned and watched her sister with a puzzled expression. “You’ve never been the giving type, so are you…being serious? Or are you planning on hurting someone-?”

            She gasped sarcastically, “I’m offended.” She turned and watched the brunette boy whose name was Donghae. “People are awfully pathetic things, aren’t they? They waste their time crying and whining about things they’ve lost instead of focusing on the things they’ve gained. All people do is whine about people or things they’ve lost, so I’ve decided to give them what they want. I’ll give them back their dead loved ones.” She grinned viciously. Her sisters’ eyes were wide in horror, “Sisters, I’m planning on granting everyone’s deepest desires for the holidays, why aren’t you celebrating? This is amazing!” She walked seductively towards the large fountain in the middle of the town and stared into the clear water- she stared at her reflection with excited eyes and then looked up at the giant angel that overlooked the city with its arms spread out. She lifted her finger and twirled her curls around it while her devious plan enticed her.

            “Hyuna, please!” Sohyun pleaded, “Don’t hurt anyone.”

            Hyuna brought her forearm to her lips and bit down harshly until she drew blood, she allowed her black blood to drip from her arm, to her fingertips and to the water. It slowly began to spread around the clear water, and tainted it. Hyuna vanished and reappeared with a few ingredients in her hands.

            “Hyuna, you do realize that Halloween is tomorrow, right? Why are you talking about giving people gifts if Christmas isn’t until December?” Gayoon stared at her with her arms crossed.

            “Because my dear sister, I have decided to combine the two holidays. Just call me Mrs. Dead Clause.” She winked at her sisters before she poured green goo into the water. She laughed maniacally as she threw the rest of her ingredients into the water; she leaned in closely and inhaled the smoke that rose from the once clear water that had turned black. “Smell that?”

            “This isn’t good.” Jihyun whispered.

            Jihyun, Jiyoon, Gayoon, and Sohyun took a few steps back as they watched an aura rising from the fountain; it started to circle around the angel. Hyuna’s loud maniacal laugh grew louder as her sisters watched in horror. The black sky started to flash, and lightning started to dance around the clouds.

            No one could see Hyuna or her sisters, but they could see the sky. People became terrified and they started to run away. “You can’t hide from me,” Hyuna’s voice echoed through the city. She proudly turned to her sisters and walked off, “Get ready, sisters because tomorrow we will have much to do.”

            “As much as I could care less about humans, Hyuna, you know it’s dangerous to intervene in their lives. It could have terrible consequences on us- on our family!” Jihyun trembled, “Please, I beg of you to stop this madness. Not for me, but for all in our coven.”

            “The coven will be fine if this madness only lasts a day, and I promise you that’s all I need.” Hyuna was about to walk off when her attention became captured by the same brunette that was with his best friend- Donghae, was his name. He interested her. Hyuna watched him with curious red eyes, and before she realized what she was doing she appeared before him. Donghae couldn’t see her, but a sudden coldness took over every cell in his body. She smirked wickedly, her fingers reached out to touch his delicate, pretty face as she leaned closer to him. Her lips were inches away from his as she whispered, “You’re welcome.” She winked and took a step back. She hated being unseen but sometimes it worked in her favor.

            “Donghae, we have to get home before the storm gets worse!” Sungmin tried to pull Donghae away but he was frozen in place. Donghae’s eyes widened in horror and then a black smoke invaded his nostrils and clouded his mind until he was weak. He fell to the floor unconscious. “DONGHAE!!!” Sungmin yelled before he started to choke. He fell unconscious beside his best friend.

            Slowly, everyone started to drop to the floor unconscious.

            Hyuna grinned from ear to ear and said, “Merry Halloween, pathetic humans,” before she her heel and walked past her sisters. Her black curls bounced with every step she took. They tried scolding her but slowly they became desensitized by Hyuna’s devious ways. She had always been the curious one in the coven and no one could stop her when she had her mind set on something.

            The darkness of her magic roamed around the city, it pierced into every corner and affected every person. Hours after, there were two women roaming the streets, laughter bubbled up their throat as they continuously drowned in the liquor bottles they held. Gain took hold of her best friend, Suzy’s arm as she incoherently mumbled, “Jokwon…” She hummed and stumbled around.

            “Yah! Jokwon was in an accident, remember?!” Suzy tried to push away her friend, “Plus he’s with Yuri now…”

            “The accident…” Gain whined softly and shook her head quickly. “I need him.” She whispered. “I need him,” She whined louder. “Jokwon…please come back to me.” Suzy’s eyes widened and she stopped walking; she pulled on Suzy’s arm and held her back. Gain started whining, “What? What’s going o-?” her eyes widened when she finally heard it.

            It was a strange sound that made their skin crawl. It was a dragging against the floor sound, the skin scraping off with every step. Suzy began hyperventilating, she gasped for air as her hand clutched onto her best friend’s for dear life. The movement fell short in front of them, and Jokwon stopped before them. His dry blood decorated his body and one of his legs was missing because of his accident. His body was badly injured, and with one eye he looked Gain directly in hers.

            Gain shrieked and her cries echoed around the city.

 

            When Donghae finally awoke, it was the next day.

It was Halloween.

He coughed lightly and frowned as he looked around and realized he was in his room. Sulli walked into the room with a disappointed expression, “You really need to start getting up earlier.” She rolled her eyes and got dressed, “We’re still going to that Halloween party today, right? Or did you forget what day it is today?”

            Donghae looked at her, unable to fully process what had happened and how he was home when he couldn’t remember getting home. Sulli exhaled angrily and stormed out of the room while Donghae was left with his confused thoughts. He forced himself to get up and shower but as he the water, he heard small whines flowing through the pipes. Donghae’s eyes widened as he froze in fear. His heart pounded in his chest as he started to trembled, but the whines died away.

            He exhaled deeply and tried to shower quickly because the whole time he felt like he was being watched; it was a feeling that sent shivers down his spine. His head ached as he rushed to wash his hair thoroughly, and he was quick with washing his body. He rushed out of the shower and dried himself quickly; each time he closed his eyes he felt something creeping on him. He could have sworn something touched him, but when he turned frantically he didn’t see anyone there.

            Donghae changed into simple clothes before he put on his costume. He smiled sadly at his reflection. Sulli was talking to him in their room, rambling about her friends and their problems but he tuned her out. Sulli noticed his blank stare so she sighed heavily and walked to her closet. She stared at the full body mirror and her eyes instantly widened when a figure stood behind her. She tilted her head a bit and became frozen as the silhouette of a man remained behind her.

            The lights went out.

            There was an ear piercing shriek that echoed through the small apartment. Donghae rushed into the closet and embraced a screaming Sulli. She trembled and started speaking incoherently about a man that resembled her dead father. She cried heavily into his arms, “Donghae! It was my father, I swear it was! It had to have been him!” She trembled and buried her face in his neck. “H-H-He’s back!” She screamed as her hands gripped onto his shirt.

            “Sh, Sulli please try to calm down.” Donghae held her head against his cheek as he cooed her. He tried to ease her fear by rubbing her back gently, “It’s okay, Sulli. You must have been imagining things…. But I’m here for you.” He pecked the top of her head, but froze when light feather touches went down his back; he reacted instantly by gasping. He knew it wasn’t Sulli because her hands were pressed against his chest, she gripped onto his shirt for dear life. He forced himself to stay calm, but his breathing gave his fear away.

            “Donghae?” Sulli whispered with a trembling voice, “Are you okay?”

            There was pressure on his back as if something had gotten on him, and the pressure made him groan weakly. “We need to go!” He pulled her up and tried to run but something made it impossible for him to move. The pressure was moved to his neck and he choked before he was able to turn to look behind him. The lights suddenly and when Donghae’s eyes registered a black outline of a man in front of him, he saw his face before it vanished. His eyes were wide, his face pale and cold sweat started to form on his forehead and nape. Sulli looked at him and whispered something but Donghae couldn’t hear her- all he could hear was the hammering of his heart beat against his chest.

           

Sungmin had always hated living alone, he hated being alone in general, so he refused to be home as much as it were possible. It reminded him of too many tragedies that had occurred in his lifetime. When he was a young boy, his family had a tradition to go to a cabin in the woods every summer to relax and enjoy their time together. He could still see it, him running through the woods chasing his older sister, Lee Hyori, and his older brother, Lee Taemin while his parents lovingly watched them carefully. They were always protective, and loving. Their laughs echoed in Sungmin’s mind as he lit a candle for each one of his family members and placed it between a vase filled with roses.

             Memories clouded his mind.

            He saw him being twirled around by his older brother while his older sister tried to tickle him. They laughed innocently and began chasing each other around the trees; they had toy water guns and would squirt one another. “I got you!” A young Sungmin giggled after he reached his brother Taemin whom he has always looked up to.

            The innocent moments blurred and a rainy night took over. An isolated, slippery road was where everything changed. The three siblings slept soundlessly in the backseat while the parents spoke in the front, “Sweetheart, be careful!” She gasped when her husband lost control of the vehicle for a brief, terrifying moment. They both breathed heavily in relief, their hands were linked and they squeezed for security.

            “I love you.” Her husband said sweetly.

            She smiled at him and looked back at her three children, “I love you.” She grinned. The rain grew harsher, and in an instant a flash of light from a semi-truck blinded the husband and he lost control once more. The car tumbled down a cliff, glass shattered, the family was badly injured and unconscious when the car finally landed upside down. Everyone died instantly from the impact- everyone, but Sungmin.

            He survived by a miracle.

            He was only eight years old when he had lost the ones he loved the most. It was a grief that he was unable to move past, and every single day he had asked- no, he had begged for some sort of release from the pain. Now, twelve years later, he stood in a little shrine made for his lost family members. Sungmin wiped away his tears when the lights went out, and the light on the candle went out as well. There was a puff of white smoke that rose from the candle and it captured Sungmin’s attention.

            In a second, he could hear laughter.

            Children’s laughter echoed in the house while footsteps running around him began to taunt him. His body grew cold, he trembled terribly as he slowly turned around, but when he saw the person that stood in front of him he couldn’t react right away. His face paled, his eyes widened.

            His sister stood in front of him, and she was exactly the same way as the day that she had died. She wore her long dress that was covered in her own blood, “Come on little brother, you won’t win if you don’t hide!” She giggled. Sungmin’s heart couldn’t beat any faster in his chest. She held up a toy water gun and pressed a finger to her lips before she vanished. “Taemin’s coming!” Her giggled echoed throughout the house.

            “Little brother…” It was Taemin’s voice and it was getting closer. He appeared before him in a white transparent form and Sungmin couldn’t take it anymore. His hairs on his nape and on his arms stood at their ends and he was ready to puke. It was Taemin, exactly as he remembered him. Only his older siblings remained their same age of their deaths. Hyori was still 12 and Taemin was still 14.

            Sungmin opened his mouth to speak, but then he heard the last thing that tested his sanity. His parents’ laughter coming from the top of their stairs, “Are you being nice, Taemin?” his mother’s voice was as sweet as ever, but it had a hint of eeriness behind it. Sungmin looked up and saw his parents’ ghosts, looking as lovingly as he last remembered, and that’s when he lost it.

            He screamed.

            He screamed until that was the only thing he could hear. He sprinted out of his own house when his siblings started to chase him. He ended up falling on the sidewalk. He cried heavily before he scrambled to stand up and once he was able to feel his legs he ran off. He ran until he couldn’t run any longer. He cried heavily, his heart and head ached tremendously. He hadn’t realized that he had run towards his best friend’s house until he heard Donghae’s voice calling to him. Sungmin ran straight into his arms. He cried heavily and tried to tell what he saw, “It’s not possible Donghae!” He whimpered childishly and buried his face on his shoulder, “They were there! I swear I’m not crazy.” He coughed and squeezed his eyes shut, “You know I tried so hard to let them go, Donghae. W-Why did I see them?”

            Donghae pulled away and wiped his tears away, “Look.” He turned Sungmin around so he could see the neighborhood and his eyes widened when he saw the panic in everyone. People ran out of their houses. People screamed. There was so much panic that confused Sungmin further.

            “What’s happening?” Sungmin whispered.

            “I have no idea.” Donghae took his hand and squeezed it, “I saw something too, Sungmin.” He still felt sick just remembering.

    

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter