Chapter 1

: Noir – not you

“Don’t do this.”

Eric calmly persuading Dongwan who was pointing the gun in his direction.

            They were on the rooftops of five-storey buildings – only that each was on different rooftop, separated by at least four-metre gap between the two buildings. Do not ask how they became like this; both have no idea how they could end up in that situation. They did not even remember anymore who was chasing who in the first place. Surely Dongwan was hunting Eric to complete his mission but avoiding his prey enough not to get caught. On the other hand, Eric always watched out his back in case Dongwan was determined to end him but he chased the man nonetheless to sort out the mess. Then, the weeks of chasing ended up dramatically when both raced into wrong buildings and now, they met eye-to-eye on the fateful rooftops.

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.--.

            Strikes of thunder mockingly cheering for the two persons’ misfortune. Dark clouds covered the chilly evening sky, but the rain still reluctant to cry at their cruel destiny. The scene was strangely familiar to Eric – it was like in his favourite noir movie, because it looked very much cool. However, this situation they get into made Eric swore he would never watch those movies again. Eric did not worry at the gun pointed towards him because he trusted Dongwan would never hurt him. He was more worried of the other’s safety because that man was not in his right mind. The moment stood still while holding its breath as they silently waited for the other to make a move.

“Please stop this madness, Dongwan.” Eric broke the painful silence.

“What else could I do?” desperation took over the man’s eyes.

Eric was wrecking his brain. He had no idea how to answer the dreadful question but he too was desperate to save his friend – a term which he hoped still held true for them.

“What has been done has been done. Lets forget about it, okay?” Eric pleaded.

“You know that’s impossible. My mom, Eric. I could never see her again.”

Not giving up, Eric hastily spoke, “Lets started new. We could ran away to far places where noone would recognize us and lets live quietly. Noone would ever bother us again!” Eric frantically waved his hands around to convince Dongwan – and himself.

“Are you crazy?” Dongwan laughed at the absurd idea. He was sure he himself who was crazy.

“Why on earth would you want me to start anew? Have you forgotten I… I’ve killed Minwoo. And Hyesung…” Dongwan could not continue his word as a huge lump in his throat choked him.

            Hearing the dead’s name, Eric felt like his heart was shot again – the previous wound when he received the news still bled. It was true. His best friend was killed by Dongwan, who was also his best friend. Fortunately he could save Hyesung but the person now was in the hospital, might not be conscious yet. That was the last thing he worried about as he has left Hyesung in the good hand of Andy and Junjin.

“Losing Minwoo is painful enough. I don’t want to lose you too.”

            Dongwan tears silently streamed down his cheeks. His body trembled uncontrollably but he held his stare with Eric’s and grabbed his gun tighter in his shaking hand.

Dongwan cried, “Sorry, Eric. I’ve messed up.”

“No, it’s not you. THEY messed you up.”

            Yes. Those people who want to ruin them was using Dongwan like this. What made Eric angry was Dongwan was innocently stupid enough to fell into their trap. Eric really want to give him a smack on his head when all of this was over – if they still have the chance.

“Don’t give them the damned satisfaction anymore, Dongwan. Come back with me,” Eric held out his hand, eventhough he knew he could never reach the person in that distance.

            Dongwan’s heart melted with Eric gesture of kindness. He could not believe that Eric still believed he could be saved. It was a gesture he was sure he never deserved – not after his hideous betrayal. In a swift moment, he seemed to calm down, his pupils dilated and Dongwan held onto the gun more firmly. The worst of Eric’s thought was going to happen.

            Rain began pouring down, clouding Eric’s view of Dongwan. Wiping his eyes, Eric managed to see Dongwan smiled serenely between the raindrops.

Dongwan said in the beautiful voice that Eric's love, “Thank you for everything, Eric-ah. If we could ever be reborn, I hope I could play with you guys again.”

            The moment became slow-motioned. Eric swore he could hear the sorrowful musicbox tinking in the background when Dongwan spoke. Never avoiding his gaze from Eric, Dongwan turned the gun to his head.

BANGGG!!!

“NOOOOO!!!”

            His mind went black. Eric ran across the rooftop and leaped with all his might to the other side, where his friend has fallen. Despite the sudden burst of superhuman energy, Eric only able to grab the edge of the rooftop. However, fate really enjoy messing him up as the rain made his hand slipped. He fell…

 

 

… and landed on the balcony on the third floor. Eric could feel his left shoulder dislocated and his eyes was blurring. Ignoring the pain, he picked himself up and ran up the never-ending flights of stairs and finally got the sight of his lying friend.

            The rain has diluted the blood and now red water has flooded all over the floor. His leg gave away. Unable to walk anymore, Eric pulled the cold body and cradle the head of his beloved in his broken arms.