Chapter 4

Tears of an Angel

We went to the closest pub from the park for the next two hours. At first it started off a bit awkward, but once the chicken and beer came, we loosened up a lot and started talking about many things. He asked me constant questions about himself, which I knew most of the answers to. Every time I time he learned something about himself, his mood became lighter and lighter. Seeing him act so carefree and lighthearted sent nostalgic shivers down my spine. It was like how we used to be; just two jokesters messing around with each other and enjoying every second.

Soon the alcohol started getting to me and I felt like saying anything in the moment without remorse.

"Hey why are you so freaking cute?" I leaned back a little.

He laughed. "Because...I don't know. You said it, not me!"

"I just spoke my mind. You don't have to answer it."

"That makes no sense! You said why!" He laughed some more.

"It was rhetorical, hyung." I sighed and chuckled.

"Please don't use such big words. I won't understand them right now." He fiddled with a used napkin on the table.

I watched him in silence for a moment. "...where do you live?"

He slowly rode his head and sighed through his slightly puckered lips. "You know better than me." He laughed again.

"...you're house is a bit far from here." I said suddenly, which wasn't necessarily a lie. "Maybe you shouldn't travel too far tonight."

He gave me a playfully weird look. "Are you suggesting I stay with you tonight?"

I blinked and flushed a little. "I-I didn't say that."

"You're blushing." He grinned softly.

"I'm not!" I rubbed my face a little. "It's because of the beer."

He chuckled some more. "You're totally blushing."

"Fine, so what if I am!" I sighed a bit huffily. "Look I'm asking you to stay with me because of your memory issues. You don't remember where you live, right?"

He was quiet for a moment. "...couldn't you just tell me?"

"...would you know how to get there?" I asked.

"...probably not." His gaze flickered down.

"Right. So it's safer to stay with someone you feel familiar with, right?"

"...right." He kept his head down. He seemed a bit nervous all of a sudden.

"What?" I leaned in a little.

He sighed a little. "...I'm so nervous all of a sudden. But...I'm not scared."

I blinked, not quite sure what he was talking about, but shook it off and stood up. "Come on." I pulled on his arm.

He looked up at me surprised. "Now?"

"We're really drunk so we should go home before we do something we regret."  That seemed logical to me.

He smiled a little and nodded. "Okay."





"...You want some water?" I asked. We were both sitting in my main room apartment. The atmosphere became awkward again.

"Sure." He answered. His head was a little lowered. His voice sounded sleepy.

I nodded and stood up. While I moved toward the kitchen to grab and cup and a small cup, I kept glancing back at Jungsoo. His head remained lowered and his breathing seemed to get a little fainter. His shoulders barely moved.

"Hey don't fall asleep like that." I chuckled and brought the cup to him.

His head lifted a little and he took the cup. "Thanks."

I sat back down next to him. "Are you feeling sleepy?"

He slowly shook his head. "I'm okay."

Even in my still slightly inebriated state, I could tell he was lying. "Oh come on, something's wrong. Why are you acting so tired all of a sudden?"

"I...I'm not sure." He responded lazily.

I started at him for a few seconds, then sighed and leaned back against the couch behind us. "You better not disappear again."

He didn't respond.

The both of us were silent for a few minutes.

"...hyung." I said.

"hm..?"

"...I'm glad I saw you at that dog cafe today. You have no idea how much I missed you."

He didn't respond.

"...you didn't hear me?" I opened one eye and glanced at him.

"I heard you." His voice was almost like a whisper. He was hugging his knees with his hands.

"You don't have a response?"

"...no."

I blinked. "That's a little rude."

"Maybe...I shouldn't be here." He lifted his head a little.

"Why not?" My eyes rose a little.

"Youngwoon...we clearly have some kind of connection...but after all the things you told me about me disappearing and sprouting wings...it just doesn't make me feel good. What if I disappear tonight? I don't want to make you so upset again..." He kept his gaze straight ahead.

"C-come on...why would you disappear again?" I asked a bit nervously.

"I don't know...but there's a strange feeling in my heart..."

"What kind of feeling?" I leaned in a little.

"It's a bittersweet feeling..." His head lowered again. It almost sounded like he voice cracked a bit.

"Are you crying?" I immediately put my arm around his shoulder. "Hey don't cry. It's going to be okay, right?

He didn't answer for a long time but his shoulders twitched a little and I could hear soft gasps coming from his muffled mouth.

I kept my arm around his shoulder and my hand gently grasped his upper arm. "It's okay hyung. Please don't be like this."

"I don't want to make you angry." He suddenly moved forward and tried to stand up.

"Where are y--h-hey careful!" I quickly moved forward and caught him before he fell onto the floor in front of us. "Are you okay?!" I gently pulled him back so I could see his face.

"I-I should go." His face was hard to read but a cold sweat started forming on his forehead.

"Hyung you look sick!" I quickly pulled him up and helped him lay down horizontally on the couch. "What happened? Is it the beer?"

"I'm fine." He said adamantly and tried to sit up, but I kept a steady grip on him.

"You're not fine! Stop lying to me!" I raided my voice a little. "Tell me what's wrong!"

"I-I don't know!" His voice was full of upset. "I just feel really sore and tired."

I let out a small sigh. "S-Should we go to the hospital?"

He shook his head. "This happens to me sometimes. I just need to lay still for a moment."

I picked up the glass of water he didn't drink and held it up to him. "Drink some water."

He tried to lift his head but could barely do it, so I tucked my hand behind the back of his head and lifted his head. After downing some of the water, I carefully put the cup down and lowered his head.

"Better?" I asked.

He nodded slightly.

I didn't move my hand and just started at him. His condition didn't seem to get any better in the few minutes of silence.

"...I think we should go to the hospital." I said again. I didn't like seeing his face so pale and sweaty.

He shook his head again. "I'm feeling better."

"It doesn't seem that way to me." I sighed.

"It's the truth. Please don't worry so much."

"...I can't help it." I admitted quietly.

He didn't respond and just kept his eyes closed. His breathing remained faint but steady.

I remained still as well, not taking my eyes off of his face. My hand remained securely on the back of his neck.