Act I

All The World's a Stage

I meant to post this sooner, but I wasn't completely happy with it (I'm still not completely happy). It gets more interesting, I promise. Since the story revolves around a play the chapters will be organized like one. Sort of. I hope I'll be able to post the next chapter by this weekend, but I'm not sure yet.

 

 

 

 

i.

Woohyun finishes tying his shoelace at the exact same time the door to the auditorium opens and smacks him right on the head. He stumbles back and falls onto his , clutching his aching head. He mentally curses Sungyeol for forcing him to audition for this stupid play in the first place. It's all his fault.

"Oh my God," a guy's voice shouts. "Are you okay? I'm so sorry. I didn't see you there."

Woohyun looks up while rubbing the bump quickly forming right in the center of his forehead. All pain and thoughts of Sungyeol's slow and painful death leave him when he sees the person standing above him. He marvels at the other's blond hair with just the right amount of waves. At his full lips and how the bottom one sticks out a little bit more. At how even with concern etched onto his face, this guy he's never seen before is absolutely the most gorgeous person he's ever laid eyes on.

Woohyun fixes his bangs over the red spot on his forehead. "It's my fault. I shouldn't have been tying my shoe in front of the door."

"But still," the guy insists. "I feel really bad. Are you sure you're okay?"

Woohyun has to stop himself from swooning at the other's concern. If it wasn't enough that he's gorgeous, he's also so polite and caring. This must be love at first sight, he thinks.

"It's fine." He assures. "I'm fine."

The guy still looks apologetic, but he nods anyway. "Ah," he says as a thought occurs to him. Woohyun starts at the sudden sound. "Were you going in to audition?"

Woohyun nods. The pain is slowly starting to come back. He fixes his hair again before saying, "I'm just hoping I don't embarrass myself."

"If you mess up, I'll take the blame for it." The guy's smile alone is enough to convince Woohyun that he is perfect. And so far out of his league that he should just give up now.

"I'll hold you to it."

The smile is still on the blond boy's face as he reopens the auditorium door and gestures for Woohyun to enter. "Break a leg then, I guess. Sorry, I'm new to theater stuff. That's usually what you say, right?"

"I have no idea," Woohyun says with a laugh. Theater is Sungyeol's thing. He and Hoya usually try not to get involved. (Although sometimes Hoya tries to get Sungyeol to introduce him to the girls in the drama club.) "Thanks, though. Hopefully we'll see each other at rehearsals."

"Hopefully." After an exchange of awkward head nods, Woohyun goes into the auditorium and the guy heads off to wherever he was going before (literally) bumping into Woohyun.

Woohyun is surprised at how well his audition goes. The director looks somewhat impressed at the end of it and Sungyeol even calls his acting believable. He's just glad he remembered all of his lines. But his celebration is cut short when he thinks of the guy from before and quickly realizes he never got his name.

 

 

ii. One Week Later

Woohyun looks around at the students scattered throughout the auditorium until he finds his friend. Sungyeol is sulking in his seat with his arms folded across his chest. It's probably going to take a good deal of coaxing (in the form of junk food and video games) to get him out of this current funk. He hadn't taken losing the only part he wanted in the play very well. And the fact that he lost to a freshman he's never seen before makes it even worse.

Woohyun sits in the seat next to Sungyeol, letting his book-bag drop to the floor next to him. "Are you gonna be all mopey for much longer?" Sungyeol pulls his arms tighter to himself in response. "You're no fun like this, you know?"

"Do you think it's because he's a better actor than me," Sungyeol asks. "Or that he's just better looking?"

"What if it's both?" Woohyun raises his hands in surrender at the glare Sungyeol sends him. "Or not."

"If I can have everyone's attention, please." The sudden statement makes everyone turn to the stage where Mr. Park, the choral teacher, is standing. Next to him is a male student Woohyun's probably seen once or twice but never actually spoken to. Kim Sunggyu is a year ahead of Woohyun, Hoya, and Sungyeol and near the top of his class. Woohyun's only seen the other in passing, but he can't recall ever seeing him looking anything other than serious. It's a bit scary, honestly. Sunggyu stands stiffly in his too-neat-for-a-teenage-boy uniform looking out at the audience, but not at anyone in particular.

"Let me start off by introducing myself for those of you who may not know who I am," The teacher starts. "I'm Mr. Park, the choral teacher and this year's play director. This young man next to me is Kim Sunggyu, the junior class president and my assistant director." Sunggyu gives a quick nod at the students in the audience as a greeting and adjusts his grip on the clipboard and stack of papers in his hands. Woohyun notices the tiniest of smiles that crosses his face before his usual solemn expression comes back. As he wonders what could have caused the brief show of emotion, he sees in his periphery a blond head waving distractingly at the stage. His eyes fly to the student, a cry of joy at the tip of his tongue before he swallows it and settles for gripping Sungyeol's shoulder.

"Ow," his friend winces at the fingers digging into his skin. "What the hell?" He tries to pull Woohyun's hand off of him, but it's futile.

Woohyun nods in the direction of the blond head he's now ninety-seven percent sure is the guy he met a week ago. "It's him. The guy I met at the auditions." He just manages to keep his voice at a whisper. Despite constantly thinking about the blond student, he had failed to consider that he would get to see the other again (and actually learn his name) if they both got parts in the play. A nauseating mixture of excitement and anxiety start to churn in his stomach. It's not a new feeling, but it has been a long time since he's felt it.

"Are you sure?" Sungyeol cranes his neck to try to get a good look at the student's face even though he doesn't actually know what this new crush of Woohyun's looks like. A blond angel with a mega-watt smile is a little too vague for him.

"Positive." Woohyun doesn't even care that he probably looks stupidly happy with the way he's smiling. Even when Sungyeol nudges him and whispers that his staring looks really creepy. He can't help himself; he didn't think he would get to see the other boy again. Now he just has to work up the courage to approach him later. That’s easier said than done.

 

 

iii.

Woohyun takes a deep breath before approaching the student he’d met at the auditions. Dongwoo, he reminds himself, his name’s Dongwoo. He’d learned Dongwoo’s name while surreptitiously eavesdropping on Sunggyu’s conversation with him. (Sungyeol had been too distracted to stop his questionable behavior.) Dongwoo is busy looking through the script and doesn't notice. He’s startled out of his daze when Woohyun clears his throat.

"H-hi," Woohyun stutters. "Uh, Dongwoo, right?" He's kind of regretting coming over now that he's in front of the guy and has his full attention. Plus, he doesn't actually know what he wants to say. "We only met once, but I haven't stopped thinking about you since" sounds like a sure way to creep someone out. Even if it is fairly true. When Dongwoo stares questioningly at him, Woohyun rushes to jog his memory. "I'm Woohyun. We met last week. At the auditions. You accidentally hit me with the door." He rubs his forehead for emphasis.

"Oh!" Dongwoo's voice is loud enough to surprise a few of the remaining students sitting close-by. "I'm really sorry about that. Are you okay?"

Woohyun can't help but smile at the concern in his voice. "I'm totally fine. There was only a bump for a couple days."

Dongwoo nods. "That's good, I guess."

Woohyun nods in return and tries to think of something else to say to stretch the conversation a little longer. "Congratulations on getting a part in the play." He mentally kicks himself for using such a formal word like 'congratulations'. Who says that? "I'm sure you'll make a great Puck."

Dongwoo nods again, this time with a happy smile. Woohyun tries his hardest not swoon at how perfect it makes his face look. "Thank you. I should say the same to you. You're playing Flute, right?"

"Yeah." Woohyun wants to let out the most girly squeal because he actually noticed him. Well, not enough to immediately recognize him, but he was still paying attention.

"Maybe we can go over our lines together sometime. If you want."

The smile on Woohyun's face does a wonderful job of masking the inner meltdown he's currently having. "Yeah," he manages with some semblance of a normal tone. "That would be great."

"Woohyun!" Sungyeol's call breaks the awkward silence that had quickly settled over the two boys. They both look over to see Sungyeol waving his freakishly long arms to get his friend's attention. Woohyun breathes an inward sigh of relief. He’d had no idea how to end the conversation.

"Uh, that's my friend. I should probably go. See you around, I guess." He gives a small wave.

"Bye," Dongwoo says with a wave of his own.

Woohyun walks as calmly as he can over to Sungyeol considering his heart is pounding hard enough to knock against his ribs and he just wants to scream.

"You wanna get something to eat? I'm coming up with a plan to get back at that stupid Kim Myungsoo." The evil glint in his eyes would be worrying if Woohyun was paying attention. "You know I do my best thinking on a full stomach." Sungyeol frowns at Woohyun's lack of response. "Are you even listening?"

Woohyun puts a hand to one of his definitely red cheeks and turns to his friend. "Did you say something?"

Sungyeol looks over at where Dongwoo is still sitting, back to flipping through the script. "Talking with that guy you're crushing on must have turned your brain to mush. Did you even ask him out?" Sungyeol's suffered through enough of Woohyun's lovesickness to know the answer, but he figures he should ask anyway. Woohyun likes to annoy Hoya and him with his pining before gathering the courage to make a move. Or so Sungyeol likes to think.

"I don't even know for sure if he's gay." Woohyun lets his hand drop from his cheek. "And plus, this is only the second time I've talked to him. I should get to know him more."

"Excuses, excuses." He picks up his book-bag and tosses Woohyun his. "C'mon, I'm starving and I'm trying to plot my revenge."

"Revenge for what?"

Sungyeol stares at Woohyun for three whole seconds before turning around and leaving the auditorium.