final

novels

"hey, mingyu?" the boy says and looks up at him, eyes tired but still supressing a small smile. mingyu can't help but smile back.

"yeah?" he looks at him with admiration and hugs him closer while he still can, because he's afraid. afraid that somehow he would suddenly disappear, be gone forever.

wonwoo sits up and takes mingyu's hand in his, "do you still remember that promise we made? when we were at the hill?" he asks

mingyu doesn't need to think because he remembers, the memory was still clear in his head, how could he forget?

 

it was the 5th of may, and both of them were laying on the blue blanket wonwoo had set up earlier, in each others arms and staring at the sky, sometimes pointing and laughing at the clouds that looked like a pig or a cat or anything, and those moments were the one's mingyu likes the most, because, even for a second, he feels like it was just them in the world, like no one else was there to ruin anything. mingyu smiles and looks at wonwoo, who has his eyes closed but his lips are curled into a grin, and mingyu copies him, he looks at the sky once again and closes his eyes, relishing the moment. because he- no, they fear that this can disappear any moment. that everything will be ruined and fall apart. so they stay there. they stay there until the sun starts to set and mingyu sits up, wonwoo follows.

 

"mingyu, can you promise me one thing?" wonwoo asks

"of course, what is it?" mingyu's head tilts to the side, a thing he does whenever he's curious.

"promise me that, someday, we'll go back here. we'll go back here and forget the world. even just for a moment." wonwoo says, looking around and wishes that they could stay.

"i promise." mingyu mutters and presses his lips unto wonwoo's, smiling so hard his cheeks started to hurt.

mingyu smiles at the thought and squeezes wonwoo's hand, "why'd you ask."

"that, place that we went to, can we go there? i miss that place and i just thought, maybe, we could- we could escape for awhile, forget everything." wonwoo asks and looks at mingyu with pleading eyes. 

mingyu couldn't resist, "of course we could. when do you wanna go?

"tomorrow."

 

they haven't been there since and mingyu seem's more excited than wonwoo, even though he was the one who suggested the idea in the first place. mingyu keeps bouncing his leg and he has that stupid grin on his face. wonwoo takes his right hand on the steering wheel and places a hand on the other's knee and laughs. he hasn't seen him this excited.

they arrive pretty soon, it wasn't very far. they look up and see the small hill, they start to climb. mingyu runs and wonwoo laughs as he carries the basket they prepared this morning. once at the top, he places the same blue blanket over the grass and mingyu sits down immediately, taking out everything out of the basket and devours a whole sandwich.

wonwoo just laughs and looks at him, wishing he should've brought a camera, so he could taka a photo and capture the moment while it still lasts.

minutes later, they have already finished 3 and a half sandwiches and they lie down on the blanket, with wonwoo's head on top of mingyu's chest, right above where his heart should be. and they don't move or talk and stay there. in each other's arms and once again they feel like the only one's in the world. like nothing could ever ruin the moment, ruin them. wonwoo takes mingyu's hand in his and sits up.

"mingyu?" wonwoo bites hips lip, his palms sweaty and he rubs them over his jeans and holds mingyu's hand again.

"yes?" mingyu asks and does that thing with his head again when he's curious.

"promise me something." wonwoo says. 

"what is it?" mingyu asks and they find themselves in the same position as back then, mingyu laughs.

"promise that you'll stay with me, no matter what. even if troubles come and even if something bad happens, please stay?" wonwoo closes his eyes and bumps his forehead against the younger's

"of course," he repeats. "of course."

 

it's the 23rd of august and they are both running around outside, the rain is pouring but they don't care. nothing mattered in that moment. mingyu slips in a puddle and wonwoo laughs so hard he's clutching his stomach. mingyu pouts and playfully punches the boy, but laughs with him anyway. 

"hey," wonwoo turns serious.

"yeah?" mingyu asks.

"i love you." wonwoo mutters and even though they are in the middle of the road at one in the morning, and it's heavily raining, they kiss. they kiss because they can and because it feels right. it looks so cliche but they don't care. nothing mattered but them. 

they break apart and mingyu laughs.

"i love you too."

 

the sun is setting and they're sitting there, staring off into space. wonwoo looks at mingyu, who's staring at the sky, a mix between pink and orange and purple and it's just so beautiful, mingyu likes it. wonwoo smiles and interwines his fingers with his.

"mingyu." he mutters, mingyu looks at him. "can i ask you something?"

"go ahead." mingyu says and focuses all his attention to him.

"what if loving me costs you something? what if you'd have to give something for me? would you give it?" asks and bumps his forehead against mingyu's.

"of course, but it depends on what it costs." mingyu says.

"what if costs you your last name?"

"well it would be fine since it's jus-" he cuts off his own sentence and looks at wonwoo with wide eyes and suddenly he's smiling so hard his cheeks started hurting, "w-what?"

wonwoo smiles and brings out something from his pocket, a small, velvet box, "will you marry me?" asks with a smile and opens the box, it was no fancy ring, since it's the best wonwoo can afford but to mingyu, it means everything, "i-im sorry this has no efforts but i wanted to be simple, you know? just the two of us an-"

mingyu suddenly presses his lips against wonwoo's and feels him smiling against the kiss. he breaks away and mutters, "yes, yes, yes. i do."

wonwoo smiles and kisses him again, "i love you" and they stay there until the sun has completely set.

 

they're driving back home now, hands interwined and lips both curled into a smile. mingyu's wearing the ring now and it's a perfect fit. just like the both of them, a perfect fit, a perfect match. perfect for each other.

wonwoo smiles and turns to look at his soon-to-be husband, and mingyu looks to, he smiles and squeezes the other boy's hand, relishing the moment.

 

they both don't notice the truck coming towards the car. nobody notices.

mingyu hasn't even said 'i love you too' yet.