Make This Feel Like Home

Make This Feel Like Home
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
( listen ♦ )   i was stumbling, looking in the dark, with an empty heart, but you say you feel the same could we ever be enough? baby, we could be enough

 

 

 

1.

He was the last one to leave the practice room.

There’s always something fulfilling after a day of nonstop training. Hours of mastering choreographies and improving your vocal chords that although something Hyukjae enjoyed, still completely exhausted his fifteen year old gangly body. There’s that familiar hype and excitement lingering in the air as the clock struck 5, a loud “Thank you for today!” yelled out by teenage boys who were already hurrying out the door the minute they were dismissed. In any other day, he would be glad to join the other boys on wherever they planned to be, probably an hour worth of gaming in the internet cafe just three blocks away, or a little treat for themselves on the cheap noodle shop one bus ride from their dorm. Today though, Hyukjae was feeling a little nostalgic.

He probably woke up at the wrong side of the bed. Or because Jungsu-hyung’s mom dropped by earlier and fed their entire group with a home cook meal most of them haven’t had in a while. Maybe it’s also because his mother’s birthday was in a few months and he still wasn’t sure if he would be around to celebrate. Hyukjae picked up his bag and sighed. He loved being with the boys and dancing and building his dreams and all. But there were really those days he missed being home.

The dorms didn’t smell like newly laundered blankets or fried vegetables, didn’t sound like a gleeful cackle in the living room while watching TV, didn’t feel like warm hugs or in his puppy’s case, gentle tickles on his feet. The dorms didn’t greet him with a thoughtful “how did your day go, Hyukjae?” didn’t sit down on a dining table with him to eat and talk about anything, didn’t envelope him with comfort and security, of a promise of feeling better even after a not so good day.

Hyukjae missed home.

 

He took time getting out of the building, contemplating if he would ride a bus to the dorms or walk today, maybe he could check a few stalls for a gift for his mother’s birthday. He was practically dragging his feet, a tad heedless with everything else until he reached the exit, the usual group of girls camping out nearby while waiting for their idols in view. They’re SHINHWA’s fans this time, sitting patiently on the cold concrete with posters of the members and signs professing their love.

“What took you so long?”

Hyukjae startled at the whiny voice to his left. A figure hunched beside a post stood up, his slightly long straight hair parted in the middle and hiding a bit of his brown round eyes. The boy ran a hand through his locks, keeping it from obscuring his view and scrunched up his face up at Hyukjae.

“I’ve been waiting for like... an hour.” Donghae whined exaggeratedly, his Southern accent still thick despite the few months he had been in Seoul.

“I didn’t know you’re waiting.” Hyukjae mumbled and watched as Donghae practically skipped the three steps separating them. “And you haven’t been waiting there for an hour.” He added as an afterthought.

Donghae merely made a face and prompted Hyukjae to start walking.

“I thought you’re trying out this new internet cafe with Heechul-hyung and the other boys?” Hyukjae asked and Donghae scrunched up his face yet again.

“Don’t feel like playing today. I was late for the afternoon practice and got an earful, had a hard time following the choreography earlier but still managed to do it, I think I deserve a treat.” Donghae grinned, eyebrows quirking in a suggestive manner and Hyukjae frowned.

“I’m not treating you anything.” He said right away and Donghae rolled his eyes.

“I know that, you stingy .” Donghae uttered, flicking his shiny hair off his eyes over again before wrapping an arm around Hyukjae. “Come on I’ll buy my own, we can share! I just don’t want to eat alone please! Hyuk-ah~”

Hyukjae wasn’t certain when they reached the point where he and Donghae became way too at ease with each other. When they could call each other nicknames or when insults weren’t taken to heart, when practically clinging and being all over each other were a normal occurrence. Perhaps it happened way too sooner than he had with the other boys, but it wasn’t like he minded.

“What is it that you want to eat anyway?” Hyukjae asked instead, taking a halt on the side of the road as they waited for the traffic light to turn red. Donghae grinned gleefully beside him, combing his hair back with his fingers as he feigned to ponder.

“Hmmm, I heard there’s this new ramen flavour from the 7-Eleven across the road. Let’s try that out!”

Later on, while they shared the biggest bowl of instant ramen in the convenient store, while Donghae talked on and on about how school was and why he was late, Hyukjae pondered how this teenage boy didn’t offer homemade meals like his mom did. Donghae didn’t give those joyous cackles and little ‘You did well’ like his dad, didn’t have his sister’s undivided attention when Hyukjae wanted to say something.

But Donghae was instant ramens during not so good days, delivering bad jokes he himself laughed at. Donghae was an arm wrapped around him while talking about their training, their friends, slow and easily distracted but quirked up like a puppy at important parts. Donghae was sniffs and snorts and snarky attitude as well as cheeky grins and barks of laughter.

Donghae wasn’t his family, wasn’t home, but at least he was there when Hyukjae felt alone.

 

“Here.” Hyukjae would hand him a pack of cheap elastic hair ties on their way back to the dorms.

“What?” Donghae would ask when he takes it from him.

“So you could tie those annoying long fringes up.”

Donghae would smile and wrapped an arm around him again, practically dragging him along and Hyukjae would laugh his first hearty, genuine laugh for that day.

 

 

 

2.

 

Hyukjae found him sitting at the end of his bed, quiet and alone whilst the rest of the band were outside, crying and celebrating on their very first Golden Disk for best album. His long hair was half tied with an elastic band, grey sweater covering the humped shoulders, little taps piercing through the room’s silence.

“Donghae.”

He called faintly, feet rooted on the floor. He stood by the door, hand clenched softly on the door knob, giving the other boy the space if he wanted to be alone.  Donghae lifted his head a bit, turning a tad towards Hyukjae as if to say he’s acknowledged. Hyukjae waited, he wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter