Second Moment

Keeping Moments

Back at campus, after switching the memory card in his camera, Hongbin was ready to capture the celebrating crowd before him. He was searching the halls thoroughly when an arm was flung around his shoulders. He didn't even have to look to know who it was. He only knew three people in this room that he was close enough with for this kind of buddying skinship. And two of them were occupied with an intense supposed-to-be make-out session that looked more like a battle of wills. Minyoung would probably kill him the moment she finds out he has photographic evidence of the incident.

"I hope you took incredibly good pictures of me today." Hongbin's dimples went deep as he smiled at Wonsik who winked playfully at him. "Do you have them in here?" He snatched the camera out of Hongbin's hands and walked away with it while flipping through the pictures.

"Hey! Be careful with it." Hongbin went after him and tried to snatch it back.

"Why is there no photos of the game? Wasn't that what you were there for?"

"The memory card was full so I had to switch it just a moment ago. Now give it back."

Having lost the purpose of holding on to the camera, Wonsik gave it back with disappointment written all over his face. Hongbin took it and almost cradled it like a baby with his hands. He was making himself ready to continue his job when he finally remembered.

"By the way, where is Jung Taekwoon? I haven't seen him since the team left the field."

"He doesn't like big crowds, so after the initial part of celebrations he always leaves. He's probably at his dorm room." Wonsik answered. When he saw the slight look of disappointment on Hongbin's face he thought for a moment before smiling. "Do you want me to take you to him?"

Hesitation gnawed at Hongbin's mind as he thought about the offer. He had no idea what to say to his senior and not sure if he should ask to take photos of him either. Taekwoon was a star athlete and he was probably tired. But maybe he could at least ask.

"Just wait a moment and I'll come with you." He finally answered. He plowed through the crowd until he finally found Minyoung, still in a lip-lock with her ex-ex-boyfriend. He showed no hesitation when he pulled at her shoulder.

"One single word and I'll put your head on a silver plate and feed the rats with it." The threat was only recieved with a roll of the eyes from Hongbin.

"Wonsik is going to take me to Jung Taekwoon and since you're a bit... busy," he looked at a sheepishly smiling Hakyeon that was now back hugging Minyoung "I thought about interviewing him myself. Are there any specific questions you want me to ask?"

Minyoung pushed Hakyeon away while looking through her bag and bringing up a notebook and a pen.

"The standard questions are in there, write on a blank paper and be ready to make follow-ups while doing the interview."

“Yes ma’am!” 

"Hongbin, do not ask him questions about why he's not here or anything about the games last year." Hakyeon who had stood pouting while Minyoung instructed Hongbin just a second ago, now seemed serious. Hongbin looked at him questioningly but decided to take the advice quietly. He just gave a short nod and left.

* * *

Taekwoon was ready to go to sleep when he heard a knock on the door. He rose up and shuffled lazily towards the door, wondering what nutshell had the nerve to bother him this late while he opened it.

" Sup' Woonie! Did you miss me?" Of course. Taekwoon nearly slammed the door in his face before Wonsik managed to stop it with his shoe. "Hey wait, wait, wait... you got a visitor if you don't mind."

"Yes, I mind it a lot actually." Taekwoon tried to kick away Wonsik’s foot and had almost succeeded just before he heard another voice from the hallway.

“Maybe it would be better to do this at another time?” 

Taekwoon recognized the voice from somewhere. Was it a fan? One of Wonsik’s many friends? While Taekwoon was distracted with his own thinking Wonsik took the chance to push the door wide open. With nothing blocking his view, he could now clearly see who the voice belonged to. He knew nothing was visible on his stone-faced expression, but Taekwoon himself was very aware of the sudden flutter of his own heart. He couldn’t look into the stranger’s - well, almost stranger's - eyes for too long and turned away in an attempt to calm himself.

“I’d say it’s now or never.” Wonsik was making sure the door stayed wide open “When he knows someone wants to interview him he has a tendency to avoid that person until they grow tired of trying to catch him.”

Taekwoon glared, but Wonsik just winked at him with a lopsided smile. “You can trust Hongbinnie, he is a close friend of mine and just as harmless as he looks.” Harmless is not what Taekwoon would call him with the way his brain seemed to short circuit when in the same room as the younger man.

“If you don’t mind I would just like to ask a few questions. If it makes you more comfortable you can browse through photos of the game during the interview.” Oh, how could Taekwoon say no to those honest and curious eyes?

“Hey, that’s not fair! You said you switched the memory card. I also want to see.”

“I just need to switch them back, I have the other one in my pocket. Besides, you always come by the office every day in your free time and look through them anyways.” Hongbin dismissed Wonsik.

Taekwoon just reached his hand out with an expectation to receive something. Hongbin and Wonsik just looked at him quizzically before Wonsik smiled and exited. “I’ll leave you two alone then. Remember to use a .”

Just as Taekwoon swore to beat Wonsik up the next time he saw him, embarrassment causing his face to heat up, Hongbin threw the notebook at Wonsik who was just able to close the door in time, his booming laughter resonating in the hallway.

Taekwoon had forgotten he was still holding his hand out when Hongbin looked back. “Oh, just wait a moment.” Hongbin pulled out a memory card from his pocket and exchanged it with the one in his camera. He started the device and pushed some of the buttons before handing it over to Taekwoon. Walking over to the door to pick up the notebook from the floor, Hongbin murmured something along the ways with “Minyoung is gonna kill me.” ‘Minyoung’ Taekwoon remembered, was Hakyeon’s scary girlfriend. He figured he was not the only one with that opinion of her.

“So, should we begin?”

Taekwoon looked at Hongbin’s eyes. Bad mistake. He looked back at the camera and nodded. Heart racing once again, he sat down on the bed, motioning for Hongbin to take the chair and started to flip through the photos. They were good. Very good.

“Wonsik told me you don’t like being interviewed much.” Wonsik talks too much. “If there are any questions you don’t want to answer, you don’t have to. Just tell me to proceed in that case.”

Taekwoon wanted to answer with an ‘okay’ but when the words got stuck in his throat he resorted to nodding once again.

“And for the record I am Lee Hongbin. Wonsik at introducing people so I thought you should know my full name.” The smile Hongbin gave Taekwoon was blinding and did nothing to calm his raging heartbeat.

When Hongbin started to fumble with the notebook Taekwoon noticed his hands were shaky. Was he also nervous? Or was that normal. As if Hongbin read his mind he answered: “I'm usually only in charge of the photography, but since Minyoung is occupied with ‘something else’ at the moment...” He paused until he found the right page. “You will have to deal with my clumsiness for a while.” Hongbin laughed nervously and Taekwoon found it very lovely. Maybe this interview wouldn’t be so bad after all.

To be continued...