First Moment

Keeping Moments

Hongbin may look athletic, being a bit muscular and tall as he is. But having the physical properties does not mean you are good at handling a ball or a racket, nor does it necessarily mean that you can run fast or jump high. He also can’t handle the pressure from teammates or an audience . He would faint on the spot.

Coming from a family where everyone is not only involved in sports, but also ranked high in their respective branch, they had all expected Hongbin to walk the same path. He did of course, at least for a while before his lack of talent caught up with him. He had come a fairly far way with just his hard work, but it didn’t carry all the way.

It was in the middle of his first year in college that he realized he couldn’t even keep up enough in archery to become a national athlete. It was also around that time he met his second year senior, Kim Myungsoo, the best photographer on campus. Photography became Hongbin’s way to connect with sports, without actively playing it himself.

With Myungsoo as his mentor he soon got recruited as a sports photographer for the campus’ sports magazine.

* * *

Taekwoon had his future paved for him from the moment he first held a soccer ball. His father was a coach for one of South Korea’s best teams and since his sisters had early given up their father’s dream to train a national team member from birth their father blamed it on makeup, clothes and boyfriends, Taekwoon had become the one to shoulder it himself. He didn’t complain though, soccer had quickly become his burning passion.

In college he had showed his limitless potential by joining the team as a regular player in his first year, becoming the ace in his second year and bringing the team into semi-finals in his third year. Sadly they did not succeeded to win a medal, since two of their top players ended up suspended after a violent fight on the field.

But this year, his last year before graduating, the year before he will join the national team, he want to bring them all the way to gold.

* * *

'Announcement to all students on campus, as you all know our world class soccer team have once again done a winning streak in the preliminaries. The tickets to our game in the quarter-finals are already on sale. Do not wait too long to buy them. Let us all cheer them on!'

The speaker yelled out the same message every hour, the sounds echoing through the hallways and even disturbing the ongoing classes. But no one cared much, the soccer team was the pride of the school after all. And anyone who tried to say anything else became an outcast in a few seconds. Of course there were those who simply didn’t care though. Like Kim Minyoung for example, whom Hongbin had the constant privilege to listen to every day.

"World class? don’t they exaggerate a bit too much? They only got to semi-finals last year."

Every hour the message was announced, Hongbin also had to hear the same complaints. He looked up from his computer screen for a few seconds, staring at the blonde, young woman across the table.

"Considering how many college teams our country have, being among the eight best is a pretty amazing feat."

His eyes went back to the screen, continuing looking through the photos from the last weekends’ baseball game. They had lost, heavily… in the preliminaries. He wondered if it was even worth making a news article about it. At least the pictures were good though.

Minyoung gave him a judging glare.

"They don’t even seem to sell any tickets, why would they otherwise advertise it each and every minute?"

"It’s once every hour. And our school wrote a contract to get a certain amount of tickets, hoping to have as many students as possible cheering for the team."

His concentration was still on the photos, until Minyoung decided to shut his laptop closed and catch his eyes. She was pretty, even with her black hair beginning to show at the roots. But she was also scary, most of the time at least. Normally she was clever too, making her a very good journalist. But every time their prestigious soccer team was mentioned, she got stubborn and dismissive. Hongbin believe it was caused by her on and off relationship with Cha Hakyeon, the captain of the soccer team.

"It’s only a college quarter final, not a final in the Olympics."

Annoyed that his work was interrupted and that Minyoung refused to stop complaining, Hongbin regretted his words the second he had uttered them.

"Did Hakyeon ditch you for soccer practice again?"

Seeing the murderous glare, Hongbin got ready to bolt. But the door to their small office swung open and his classmate and good friend, plus a member of the earlier mentioned team, Kim Wonsik strolled in, a wide smile gracing his lips.

"Are you both coming to watch the game next week?"

"No!"

Minyoung abruptly answered. Hongbin sighed before turning to Wonsik with an apologetic smile.

"I’m saving up for a new lens, so I don’t have money for tickets."

"Exactly! And if Hongbinnie won’t go, then I will certainly not. So you can tell that freaking thickhea…"

"Well about that. Our coach said he have reserved special seats for both of you in the reporter section. He said he will also be able to get you…” he pointed at Hongbin “a pass to take close-up photos of the game.”

Both were staring at Wonsik with disbelief. Hongbin opened his mouth to answer but Minyoung was first.

"And what makes you think we would be interested in that?" She asked suspiciously. Wonsik smiled mischievously and answered with his baritone voice.

"Well, he said that if you do a good job and make a very good article, he will introduce you to some well known sport journalists and directors at some of the biggest magazines."

Minyoung seemed to think for a moment. Hongbin just stood speechless.

"It’s for free…" It was more a statement than a question and Minyoung seemed to heavily debate it.

"Yes, you will be able to watch your beloved captain for free." Wonsik entered deep water too quickly and had to dodge a pile of papers that flew and scattered through the air towards him.

"No! We wont do it! Absolutely not!"

Hongbin just sighed and rubbed his temples as he listened to his senior’s agitated screams and his best friend’s loud laughter.

* * *

He was not sure when it happened or how. But in the end Minyoung had accepted the offer and right now she was sitting with some really good reporters while he was standing beside the field, camera in hand with the new lens (the coach had happily insisted on lending him some money for it).

It was his first time taking photos at a soccer game. And he had asked several of the professional photographers for advice. Some had been dismissive and muttered about how a rookie didn’t belong there, while some had been really cooperative and passionately told him about the best spots and best angles. They had even told him which players, from both of the teams, he should be keeping a close watch on.

One of them even stood beside while the teams entered the field, pointing out who was who. He had smiled proudly when he heard Wonsik being mentioned as one of the best goalies in college soccer this year. And when Hakyeon was called charismatic leader, he couldn’t help but glance at Minyoung where she sat. She was biting her pencil, a habit she had whenever she was on edge.

The beginning of the national anthem made the audience rise and everyone put their right hand over their chest. Some singing along while others didn’t. The team captains got to speak in a microphone each, making promises of good sportsmanship and fair play.

As soon as the game began, Hongbin readied himself, adrenaline high and his heart beating swiftly. He made sure the camera followed wherever the ball went and skillfully snapped pictures of passes, attempts at making goals and in the short breaks, only lasting a few seconds, snapping shots at players high-fiving and patting each others’ back. It was an even game, with no goal from either side in the first half.

-

Wonsik had told them they could come and greet them swiftly in the break time. To which Minyoung had answered “Ew, who would want to see them close up all sweaty and disgusting.” Probably another statement to continue avoiding Hakyeon, Hongbin thought. He himself had nodded at Wonsik that he might pass by swiftly. Minyoung whispering in his ear that he better not take any disgusting photos.

So now here he was, standing outside the changing room, unsure if he really should enter in case he interrupted something of importance. He had almost decided to leave when the door swung open and he barely dodged it. He was face to face with a tall, wide shouldered, black haired, young man with the number nine on the right side of his chest. Jung Taekwoon his memory ringed and he stood somewhat frozen to the spot.

"Ah! Hongbinnie!" He glanced past the man in front of him and found Wonsik sitting on a bench waving at him, a towel hanging over his shoulders.

"I’m not intruding am I?" He asked cautiously, glancing back at the centre forward.

"Not at all, just come in." Hongbin bowed slightly at Taekwoon before slipping past him. The other man left and the door closed behind him. An arm found it’s way around his shoulder and he felt Hakyeon leaning in close.

"So, how’s my lady in the reporters’ section doing?" He asked expectantly.

"Probably trying not to stare at only you the whole game." Lee Jaehwan, the team’s main left winger laughed out. Making everyone else join him except for Hongbin who was feeling a bit awkward and Hakyeon who was pouting.

"You should talk to her, it’s obvious that she’s still upset at you." Hongbin said as a more serious answer.

"Upset? She’ll murder him if he get within ten feet of her." Wonsik caused everyone to laugh once again. But they all soon jumped in fright when the door once a gain flew open and Taekwoon returned. Hakyeon seemed to take that as a cue.

"Time for the second half of the game, hurry up and get ready." He said and let his arm slip off of Hongbin’s shoulder.

Wonsik smiled apologetically and Hongbin nodded, he turned around and faced Taekwoon. He first intended to just bow and leave, but realizing he hadn’t even said anything to the senior, he decided to add a “Good luck in the rest of the game.” with his bow. Not sure if he should wait for an answer he slowly passed the other man, only barely hearing a soft “Thank you.” before he exited the changing room.

-

The minute before the second half began he was bothered with questions from Minyoung. They were all sneakily regarding Hakyeon. He had to force himself not to smile. It was so obvious that she still hadn’t let him out of her life completely.

She soon went back to her seat though and Hongbin once again got ready for capturing the game. He had never thought soccer could get so intense. It was a war, except the weapon was just a ball and the only losses were yellow cards so far.

His camera once again followed the ball on it’s journey back and forward, until Hakyeon passed to the left side where Jaehwan stood ready.

Hongbin’s breath got caught in his throat as the ball traveled from Jaehwan and miraculously landed in between two players of the opposing team, right in front of Taekwoon who skillfully dribbled past his opponents.

If it were not for his automatic reflexes, Hongbin would completely have forgotten to push the button. He held it in to capture as much of the moment as possible. His ears somehow blocked out the sound of the camera’s constant clicking and he could only hear his own heartbeat resonating through his head. Through the seeker his eyes followed Taekwoon’s every movement. Even when the ball entered the goal and hit the net.

He didn’t regain his sense of time and space until the cheering of the crowd roared out and broke through his paralyzed state. Realizing he was still continuously snapping pictures, he relaxed his hand and lifted his finger. Seeing the whole team throwing themselves at the hero of the game, he snapped a few, more controlled pictures before looking at Taekwoon, completely stunned.

To be continued…