.

(define) home

 

Daehyun gets back from his office job at ten in the nighttime. The air is fresc and there are temporary stars in the sky. His mobile phone has thirteen missed calls. Two voice notes. 

He does not check them.

 

 

He arrives home to his small shared apartment on a summer night, and Youngjae is asleep, rolled over on his stomach on the fabric couch. Upon closer inspection Daehyun would notice that there is saliva leaking out of the corner of Youngjae's mouth and pooling onto their laminate floorboards. He would also notice the deep purple engraved under Youngjae's eyes like the bruises inside his chest, and the written reminders--to buy more coffee for Daehyun, more clothes, more words (shared between the both of them, like honeybees to sweet nectar), more love--on sticky notes strewn across the coffee table in a half-hearted attempt to care. But Daehyun doesn't spare the man a second of a glance.

 

 

Their home is a shelter made of oak and willow in an empty forest. All life is gone. The birds no longer sing at dawn, it no longer thrives. The roots of all plants have died and the twigs that make up their faulty home are rotten and decayed. Their roof is a broken glass canopy and the stars above it are crooked and shattered between their bones.   

 

 

Hope - 

Is a curious thing. It is there and then it is not; it exists in all different dimensions at once. It exists in different people, and in some people its existence is a broken constant; it is there but it is not. 

Youngjae has hope. 

Daehyun does not. 

Hope is shattered when a person has too much of it, and another has too little. Hope is shattered when a person loves too much, and their lover loves too little. Hope then exists in each heart, but [the heart] is blackened by the ink of oceans that seeps through it gradually, and the hope that still exists is camouflaged by apathy.

The ink does not wash off.   

 

 

Daehyun's bed is cold because Youngjae does not sleep in it any longer. He's not sure why. The most probable reason is that he's always asleep by the time Daehyun gets home, on the couch, due to waiting for him. But Daehyun thinks it might be because he is unapproachable and Youngjae does not crave his presence (strongly).   

 

 

He's not sure why.   

 

 

He falls asleep.       

 

 

 

 

 

Daehyun wakes up and Youngjae is not in the apartment. He goes to work. Work is over, and he goes back to his apartment on a winter night. The air is bitter and fog blankets out the stars in the sky. And there are no missed calls on his phone. There are no voice notes.   

 

 

Youngjae is not home.   

 

 

Side Note: (cross out the word - 'home')

 


A / N : this is a very smol drabble that i wrote on whim to kinda get me back into writing. sorry if it's shyt i don't remember how to write things tho lol