everybody loves surprises (except for jimin)

Yoonmin Halloween Series

Yoongi honestly hadn't thought his plan through. The point had been to make Jimin smile that ridiculously cute scrunchy-eyed smile of his, not for him to be sitting cross-legged on the floor crying so hard that their neighbors were probably going to think someone died.

Yoongi thought he had planned everything perfectly. The members were all gone, Namjoon and Hoseok composing in the studio while Jimin, Taehyung, Jungkook, and Seokjin were going over choreography. Yoongi had slipped out of the studio, easy enough to do when he just glared at Namjoon when he asked where Yoongi was going. They probably thought that he was going to sleep, but he had work to do.

Jimin had been talking about Halloween for months. He had made sure they were stocked up on candy and had tried to put out a few decorations before he got distracted and joined Taehyung in belly dancing on the table. It was a memory Yoongi wished wasn’t burned into his brain.

Despite forgetting to decorate, Jimin had roped Taehyung, Jungkook, and Hoseok into dressing up as Power Rangers so they could go trick or treating without anyone recognizing them. The kid's dedication to the holiday was truly inspiring. Which was exactly why Yoongi had snuck home and pulled out all the decorations that had been abandoned by Jimin, as well as a few of his own, and set to work.

He started by stringing up orange and black lights around the living room so that once all the other lights were turned off the dorm would be cast in an eerie dark glow. Over that he draped a ridiculous amount of fake spider webs, complete with tiny fake spider glued all over it.

Next came the plastic jack-o-lanterns that light up and called out 'Happy Halloween!' with a tacky evil laugh if you walked too close to it. He found some fake, life-sized skeletons that Seokjin and Jimin had made last year from old plastic milk cartons, and hung them from the ceiling. Last was the candy bowl that Namjoon had insisted on getting that had a fake plastic hand that clamped down whenever its motion sensors picked up movement of someone getting candy out of the bowl.

He stepped back, admiring his handiwork with a sense of satisfaction. He'd never been one for Halloween and decorating, but somehow once he got the idea of surprising Jimin stuck in his head, he couldn't get it out.

He pulled out his phone, sending a quick, vague text to Jimin saying that he needed help with something back at the dorm before he turned off all the lights, besides the decorations, and sat down on the sofa to wait.

It was almost twenty minutes before he heard the jingle if keys in the lock of the front door, followed by the handle turning and the door slowly swinging open.

Yoongi sat up straight, waiting for Jimin's excited squeal. It didn't come.

Instead there was an alarmed gasp followed by a loud cry.

"Jimin!" Yoongi leapt off the couch and fumbled for the light switch, listening as loud sobbing now filled the room.

Yoongi finally found the light switch and flicked it on, whirling around to see Jimin sitting on the floor just inside the door, trapped in one of the fake spider webs. Too late, Yoongi realized that he may have hung it a little too close to the door.

"Oh ," was the only thing he managed to say before Jimin wailed, "Why are there spider webs in the living room?!"

Yoongi walked over to kneel in front of him, gently pulling the fake webbing off the younger boy.

"I'm sorry, Jiminie," he said. "I just wanted to surprise you and decorate the dorm."

Jimin blinked bloodshot eyes. "Huh?"

Yoongi shifted his weight on his knees, suddenly nervous. "It's just that, uh, you were so excited about Halloween this year so I thought I'd decorate the dorm for you. I thought maybe you'd like it," he finished lamely, ducking his head as he felt his face heat up.

He watched from under his eyelashes as Jimin finally looked around the room and standing up and stepping around Yoongi to get a better look. Yoongi stood up, standing behind him while nervously waiting for a reaction.

"You did all this for me?" Jimin asked softly. He was standing motionless with his back to Yoongi.

Yoongi cleaned his throat. "Yeah. Yeah, I did."

Jimin whirled around and before Yoongi could react he found the younger boy flinging himself forward to wrap his arms around Yoongi's shoulders.

"Thank you, hyung!"

"You're not upset?" Yoongi asked, hesitantly wrapping his arms around Jimin.

"Of course not! We have a Halloween wonderland in the living room! You're the best, hyung!"

Yoongi smiled, placing a soft kiss on Jimin's neck. "I'm glad you like it, sunshine. I love you."

"I love you too, Yoongi-hyung," Jimin replied, nuzzling closer to Yoongi. "Just please give me a warning next time you fill the living room with fake spider webs, okay?"