The Mug

World's Best Dad

The Mug

Chanyeol looked fondly at his husband's sleepy features as Baekhyun brought a delicate fist up to rub at his eyes and pull the sheets up further. "Happy Father's Day, honey."

Baekhyun yawned and smiled softly. "Happy Father's Day. We should probably get up to see the kids, right?"

"Unfortunately, parents have actual responsibilities and stuff. Yeah."

Baekhyun snuggled further into Chanyeol's arms. "Let's not and say we did."

"Doesn't work that way, sweetheart."

He sighed. "I know. Let's get up, then."

They rolled out of bed and pulled on some clothes, Chanyeol donning sweats and a shirt, and Baekhyun a lazy white robe. They shuffled down the steps and entered the kitchen expecting to see their two children, but were met with an empty table. 

Looking closer, one could see that the table was not empty. Two white mugs with black lettering on them sat in the center of the table, each of which had a name tag attached to it. 

The pair gave each other a quick look. Where were the kids? Whose mugs were those? With a mutual shrug, they approached the table and each picked up a mug. 

"'World's Best Dad,'" Chanyeol read aloud. 

"'World's... Okayest Dad?' Chanyeol, this one's yours." Baekhyun attempted to take the better mug out of his husband's hand, but Chanyeol held it just out of reach above his head.

"Now, sweetheart, that was a funny joke, but I'm definitely the world's best dad. This one's for me."

Baekhyun crossed his arms. "Nice try. Give it here."

"Ah, but you see," Chanyeol tutted, "no."

"Hush. I know how to settle this. There are tags on both of these, who are they addressed to?" Baekhyun looked at the coffee mug held in his small hands and turned it to find the tag. He opened it and read what it said on the inside in unison with Chanyeol reading his: "To: Dad."

"Very funny, you guys," Baekhyun huffed as he turned around to face the stairs behind him.  "Tell your father that that mug is mine."

"Dad gets the Best Dad mug!" shouted two young voices, just out of sight at the top of the stairs. Twin giggles escaped them, and Baekhyun was at least 50% certain that he heard a high five. 

Chanyeol and Baekhyun groaned in unison. "For 8 year olds, those twins are pretty mischievous," Baekhyun muttered. However, Baekhyun was pretty mischievous himself. He could find a way to get that mug by the end of breakfast, he bet.

He let out a deep sigh and looked up at Chanyeol. "Fine, you can have it since you're such a great dad, I guess. Do you want some coffee, Mr. World's Best?" 

"So you admit it, then?" Chanyeol grinned. "Say it one more time, nice and loud." He squatted exaggeratedly and held a cupped hand up to his ear. 

"You want coffee or not?"

"Two sugars, please."

"Yeah, yeah, I've been doing this for years, I won't it up now."

Baekhyun shuffled to the coffee pot and absentmindedly prepared everything while making light conversation with Chanyeol. "So, how did you sleep?"

Chanyeol's face lit up adorably. "Ooh, it was great, I had this dream where-" All according to plan. Chanyeol got so lost in his story that he didn't watch Baekhyun add the sugar to his own mug and serve him a cup of very strong black coffee. 

"And then the gorilla- oh thanks," he interrupted himself as the World's Best Dad mug was pushed towards him. "So then the gorilla told me that he worked weekends at this strip club sometimes, right, and I-" he took a sip of his coffee triumphantly, but his face quickly contorted into a grimace that made Baekhyun laugh. 

"What's the matter? Is there something wrong with your coffee?" He suppressed giggles as Chanyeol made a noise of panicked disgust.

"Yes! Something is most definitely wrong! This coffee is blacker than... th-than something black, okay, this coffee tastes like ."

"Oh, I'm so sorry babe, I must have added the sugar to mine on accident. Here, taste it and see if this one is yours." He held the mug out to Chanyeol, who received it with both hands and took a small sip.

"This is definitely mine," Chanyeol nodded as he took a large sip out of the mug that read "World's Okayest Dad." Baekhyun tentatively took back the World's Best Dad mug with his coffee in it, and Chanyeol didn't seem to notice. Baekhyun smirked. 

Baekhyun 1, Chanyeol 0.

*****************
It took three entire days for Chanyeol to realize that he had relinquished the better mug to his husband. He noticed over breakfast, and slammed his hands on the table suddenly. "You have my mug!"

Baekhyun boastfully took a sip out of the mug. "It's been three days, and you haven't noticed, Chanyeol. Have I not yet proven myself superior?"

Chanyeol put his dishes in the sink and pouted. "I guess."

Baekhyun stood as well and placed his dishes atop Chanyeol's. As he began to rinse plates, a  warm body pressed against him from behind, large arms and an inviting scent enveloping him. "You're the world's best husband, you know that?"

Baekhyun whirled around to face Chanyeol. "Yeah," he smirked. "I love you, you know that?"

Chanyeol kissed him softly, and broke away to touch his forehead to Baekhyun's. "Yeah."