Part III: LOST & FOUND

Hide & Seek
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

"Of all the things, why does he have to faint at this moment!!! I really need to go to the toilet asap! Why! Why is the universe so cruel to me?!" Seohyun panicked as she rushed to her unconscious boyfriend's side. 

The urge to go to the toilet was stronger than ever but Seohyun tried her best to hold it in. 

"Oppa I love you. I really really do but I have to go. I promise I'll be back until I empty my bladder, so be a good boyfriend and stay unconscious, ahrasseo? Jebal!" Seohyun kissed Yonghwa's forehead before getting up on her feet, scanning the area where the nearest comfort room is situated.

"What the hell happened here?! Why the f is he unconscious?! Who among you knocked him out!" Jonghyun yelled as he pushed his way past the crowd. 

"Hyung, relax. It's Seohyun." Minhyuk tried to explain. 

"What? SU's princess?!" Jonghyun asked in disbelief.

"I guess the dude finally got the royal highness's sweet "yes." Too much feels, I tell ya bro. Probably couldn't handle it. Still, congrats to the new couple!" Yuri bravely called out.

"At least the nerd's got some balls to pursue SU's princess and win her heart. Thought it was a tragic finale with the door slamming thing but this cute twist happens. True love prevails!" A random female student butted in.

Seeing as his three friends were now at his aid, Seohyun knew she had to make her escape to the girl's comfort room otherwise she's literally going to have her bladder explode on the spot. Flinching and in pain, Seohyun got on her own feet and made a dash towards her safe haven.

"Hey! Where do you think you're going?!" Jonghyun yelled but when he was ignored, he chased after her and tried to put an end to her escape.

"STEP OUT OF THE WAY, LEE. I'M WARNING YOU!" Seohyun threatened. 

"You can't just run away and leave him there!" Jonghyun argued.

"You think I have a say in the matter?! It's not that I want to do this but I have to! Now step aside!" Seohyun pushed him to the side but he caught her wrist.

"LET ME GO! I ORDER YOU! She shouted.

"Not until you take responsibility for my hyung!" He said dramatically.

"Can you please stop overreacting as if I got your hyung pregnant or something?!" Seohyun answered snottily. She could desperately feel her bladder close to giving up. 

"You're the one creating all this sh*t and fuss and have the nerve to run away!" He accused.

"That's because I need to go to the toilet you bastard! If you don't want me peeing in your precious suede boots which by the way doesn't match the color of your shirt and trousers, let me go this instant!!!!" Seohyun yanked her wrist free from him and finally made her way to the toilet.

Jonghyun was left standing there, stunned and partially embarrassed with his actions. He tried to act as if nothing happened but he caught his bandmates snickering.

"What are you laughing at?!" He accused.

"The door slamming remains as the top event but with the nation's playboy trying to stop the campus princess from her right to urinate is a close second." Jungshin laughed.

Jonghyun was annoyed and about to call him out on this but he noticed something else.

"Is that...? Is that blood on hyung's head?!" 

The attention was diverted to their still unconscious hyung and true enough, there was blood. They rushed him to the university hospital and as always, Jonghyun demanded for VIP treatment. He was acting like a ridiculous spoiled brat, much to Minhyuk and Jungshin's dismay. They tried to keep him calm but he refused.

"Hyung! Jebal snap out of it! It was just a minor bump and wound. Nothing life-threatening as the doctor reassured. He's going to be fine so please quit acting like a woman in labor!" Minhyuk scolded. 

"I'm just worried that's all. I can't have another hyung die out on me." Jonghyun murmured. 

The two understood and just gave him a pat on the shoulder. Lee Jonghyun may be a well-known womanizer but as it is with guys who parade around as players, he has his own chapter he prefers not to be read out loud. 

As the three fell into silence, the doors opened and in came a crying Seohyun. Her roommates were with her and all five looked at the couple. 

"It's just a minor cut. Why is she acting like he's dead?!" Hyoyeon whispered. 

"Maybe Jjong hyung could give you an answer to that." Jungshin teased but got cut off when Jonghyun elbowed his side. 

Seohyun's cries were getting louder and Sooyoung thought it best to save her maknae's image by putting an end to her dramatics. The two dragged her to the toilet but she refused.

"My bladder's empty now. It won't act up again so why bring me there?!" 

"Because you look like the walking dead that's why. You really want your brainiac boyfriend to see you this way? Not that you look that bad but.." Sooyoung explained.

"Fine." Seohyun caved in. 

The three girls went to a secluded corner in the room just when Yonghwa woke up.

"You wouldn't believe this. I had this crazy beautiful dream wherein Joohyun agrees to become my girlfriend!" He announced. 

"Uh hyung, it's not..." Minhyuk started.

"Wait! I didn't even get to the best part! I get to tell her I love her too and everyone was there and ohmyholysmokes she was so cute when she tried to tell me to stop doing this habit of mine and I can't believe she loves me too I don't deserve it and she's so beautiful I love her so bad and I wish the dream was real because now I can't stop thinking about it and..." Yonghwa rapped but was cut off when a feminine voice giggled and said,

"Aigoo, Jung Yonghwa-sshi. You talk too much." 

Instantly, he froze and closed his eyes. He could hear the other people in the room holding their laughs and when he was convinced he wouldn't strangle them, he opened his eyes. The second he did, his gaze landed on her. The girl sitting on the bed. The girl he just dreamt about, and now she's smiling at him.

"I can't be dead, or am I?" He whispered. 

She smiled at him so sweetly. If he were to describe it, her smile was as sweet as melted caramel blended with honey and milk chocolate. So sweet he couldn't get enough of it. 

"Your smile is more heavenly than the stars that twinkle above. If this scene would picture life after death, then alas there is nothing for me to fear." He said without thinking. 

That line did it as the five-membered audience guffawed like mad hyenas gone wild. Instantly, he snapped out of his reverie and did it only sink in that everything else is real. If he could, he'd crawl under a hole and never come out. 

"Hyung that was jinjja....puahahahahahhaha! Aigoo you're more natural than Jjong hyung!" Jungshin laughed so hard.

"I can partially understand why our youngest is quite fascinated with you." Hyoyeon said in between her laughs.

"Not to be rude or judgmental but seriously, Mr. Jung. You're a man of surprises. Never thought you'd be capable of such, given your nerdy exterior and inexistent social skills." Sooyoung added.

"It's what love does to people." Minhyuk smiled before bursting into laughs. 

"This can't be. It's all a dream!" Yonghwa chanted in his head.

"I'm afraid not. It's real. We're real." Seohyun chuckled. 

"No. It can't be. You hit your head too hard, Pabo Yong. What's this about the social butterfly aka SU's Princess being your girlfriend?!" Yonghwa mumbled, keeping his head low.

"It's about you asking me out and me saying yes." Seohyun replied, amused seeing him flustered and shy.

"It's all in my head! You stalked her too much that even her voice is stuck in your head! Why? How could I fancy a girl this much more than my books?!" Yonghwa argued with his thoughts.

"You just "fancy" me? But I thought you said you love me?" Seohyun pouted.

"Of course I love you! So much that it terrifies me." He mumbled again. 

"Don't be afraid, oppa. I love you too." Seohyun smiled as she placed a finger on his chin and made him look up. 

"Y-you're real." He said in awe.

"Of course I am, silly." She giggled. 

"And you're my girlfriend?" He asked uncertainly.

"Uh huh." She grinned.

"But...I'm...supposed to get over you, you know?" He said. 

"Hey, that was my line!" She threw her head back and laughed.

"This is too good to be true." Yonghwa thought.

"Yeah I think so too but I'm getting the hang of it." Seohyun smiled.

"Can you please stop reading my thoughts?!" He hissed.

"I'm not!" She cried.

"Yes you were!" He accused.

"You said it loud enough for me to hear!" She answered.

"I, I did?! But... Ya! Isn't it enough that you're always on my mind? Must you broadcast my thoughts of you out loud for these people to hear?" He stated. 

She kept shut for three seconds before laughing her heart out, collapsing comfortably in his arms. He was taken aback but soon, he found himself relaxing and readjusting their position so he could hug her closer. 

She looked up at him with those beautiful, bright eyes he knows he'll want to stare and wake up to for the rest of his life. 

"Aww, oppa. That's my line too." She pouted.

"I'm not.." He started.

"That too." She whined cutely. Being the direct recipient of Seo Joohyun's aegyo was too much for his heart to take. Seeing as he gave no response, she pinched his nose and said,

"Oppa, stop being so cute. It makes my heart flutter so much." She squealed. 

Grinning widely, he squeezed her in his arms and said,

"Now I think that's my line." 

"Now you remember." She winked.

"How'd you become my girlfriend again?" He teased.

"You asked and I said yes." She replied cheekily.

"That's it? As simple as that?" He joked.

"We may have had petty arguments but the result is what matters right? Why'd you faint by the way? Couldn't get enough of the feels for me?" She laughed.

"Why'd you slam the door on my face by the way? Couldn't get enough of the giddiness because of me?" He quipped. 

He hugged her closer again as she squealed and tried to hide her blush.

"Why are you two turning into blocks of cheese by the way? Forgot we exist in the room, too?" Sooyoung commented.

"Just ignore her. She's still bitter about her ex." Hyoyeon explained on her behalf.

"I'm not!" Sooyoung denied. 

"I can help you forget about the pain and let you love again if you'll just..." Jonghyun started but was cut off by Sooyoung's hand.

"Save it. Save the lines for girls who care, playboy. I'll never be one of them!" 

"Oooohhhh. Jonghyun hyung just got burned!" Minhyuk laughed. 

"I can't. I can't deal with the couple over there and the flirting right here. It makes me gag." Jungshin said in disgust.

"We're not flirting!" Jonghyun and Sooyoung said in unison.

"Uh, excuse me? Done ruining our moment? If yes, you can leave. I'd like to discuss the details of our relationship alone." Yonghwa called out.

The five just shook their heads and gave them a salute. 

"Yong seobang, you're not facing a client. She's your "girlfriend," so you may want to handle this discussion as lovers and not like reading a contract." Hyoyeon laughed. 

As requested, their friends left them alone. He was about to say something to Seohyun when the door burst open and Jonghyun threw a packet to him before laughing evilly and running off. 

"Might as well be protected hyung! Better safe and sorry!" 

Yonghwa called out to him in vain and was horrified when he saw what was now in Seohyun's hand. 

"I know you believe all guys think about the same thing but I swear that's the last thing on my mind right now and..."

Seohyun threw the pack to the trash bin and laughed.

"It's okay, oppa. Not that I mind you thinking about err, that, but, uh, want to go get some coffee?" Seohyun felt awkward.

He smiled at her and just laughed.

"It'll take half an hour before I am cleared for a discharge." He said.

"Not a problem. I don't mind. It's still early in the day after all." She beamed.

"Don't you have classes?" He asked in concern.

"Nope. I only have that one subject for today." She said.

"Okay." He replied.

"For real? Yey!" She said happily.

"Yes. But there's one thing you need to know..." He said.

"What?" She asked, slightly getting worried. 

"I..." He said in suspense. 

"You...?" She asked impatiently.

"I don't drink coffee." He admitted.

"WHAT?!" Seohyun blurted out in a rather judgmental tone than a surprised one.

"I know. It's just not my kind of drink. I'm not fond of the smell. I'm more of a tea and soda kind of person." Yonghwa shrugged. 

"But you work at a coffee shop!" Seohyun reminded.

"I needed to challenge myself and it's either me getting something to keep me busy or Jjong dragging me to clubs and parties so I just made a more reasonable choice. The extra cash I save up so I can donate to various charities I support using my hard-earned money. The rest I get from song royalties." He explained.

"But..but coffee is the second best thing in the world!" Seohyun whined cutely. 

"What's the first?" Yonghwa chuckled.

"Of course it's you, dummy. You're the best thing that's ever happened to me." She said as a matter-of-fact. 

And just like that, he fell in love with her all over again. He's surprised she's this touchy or expressive when it was her who kissed his cheek and hugged him again. 

"Aigoo ottoke? I'll have to write another one again." He sighed.

"Write what?" She asked.

"A thesis. I only wrote one case study about how two people fall in love, so now I have to start working on the follow up which is what happens after the falling in love part." He said seriously. Too serious that it made her laugh.

"What?" He felt confused. It's not like he said a joke.

"You're so cute oppa. You really wrote a thesis about that?" Seohyun asked amusingly. 

"Why? Is there's something wrong with doing so?" He suddenly felt slightly hurt. 

"This is it. She's going to break up with me because I'm a "nerd" and will never want to speak to me ever again!" Yonghwa thought anxiously. 

His doubts were washed away when she leaned her head on his chest and pulled him closer as she interlaced their fingers. 

"None at all, oppa. It's just so uniquely you. Guess I made the right choice after all. You truly are one of a kind." She smiled at him. Before Yonghwa can recover, Seohyun added,

"Don't worry about the next part. We’ll figure it out, together, okay? You and me. Us. We’ll work on it both. I’m quite an OC when it comes to paperworks but I promise I'll try to be more lenient. Do we have a deal?" 

"Sure. Anything for you." He smiled.

 

 

Six months later...

It was one of those days they prefer to study together than just go out on dates. They were at their favorite place in the vast university lawn - the same tree wherein he overheard her ranting about her professor (who was now fired) before the chase and confession began. Them being a couple was all the campus could talk about until eventually, the fuss died down when the haters realized that the social butterfly and the nerd would not break up no matter how hard they tried.

The first month of being together was so awkward and quite challenging but pretty soon, they were able to adjust and the stuttering ceased. The blushes though still refused to be controlled but it's a fact they both just learned to accept. 

Yonghwa had his head rested on her lap as she leaned against the tree, completely engrossed in reading a book. He too, was busy trying to understand his notes about the South Korean Penal Code. He's been working really hard to juggle his student life and handling one of his brothers' companies because the latter had an emergency sick leave. Yonghwa knew he was close to falling asleep so he tried to stay awake by reading his handouts and notes out loud.

He was done memorizing the Hangul version but he wanted to understand and study the English translated version of the code just for extra reference. 

"SECTION 8 Extinction of Punishment

Article 81 (Nullification of Punishment)
If seven years have elapsed without, a person who had completed the execution of imprisonment or imprisonment without prison labor, or who had received remission of the execution, being sentenced to suspension of qualifications or more severe punishment after compensating the victim for his damages, the invalidation of the judgment may be rendered at the request of the person himself or a public prosecutor.

Article 82 (Restoration of Rights)
In case one half of the term of a suspended sentence has elapsed for any person who had been sentenced to suspension of qualifications without being sentenced to a further suspension of qualifications or more severe pun- ishment after compensating the victim for his damages, the recovery of qualification may be granted upon the request of the person himself or a public prosecutor."

He stopped reading midway when he felt he was being stared at. He put down his notes and to no one's surprise, Seohyun was indeed watching him intently.

"What are you smiling about?" He asked curiously.

"Nothing..." She giggled.

"Oh really?" He challenged. 

Yonghwa sat up and drew his face closer to her. She felt the rapid beating of her heart again as if such reaction was an automatic response whenever they're this close. She remembered the first time they kissed and even if it was awkward in the beginning, it ended up rendering her helpless in his arms. They haven't gone farther than that because kissing itself was already insanely satisfying. 

He smirked seeing her reaction and decided to further but got pushed away.

"Alright, I'll tell you." Seohyun said in defeat.

"Nah. I'd rather kiss you first and..." 

"Jung Yonghwa! I just re-applied my lip gloss!" She warned.

"Fine. I'll behave." He said. 

"So what was it you were smiling about?" He asked. 

"It's just that...." Seohyun trailed before continuing to ask,

"Can you read that part again?" 

"Which part?" Yonghwa asked. 

"Article 82 of Section 8." Seohyun said.

He knew that she has absolutely no interest in his major and topics related to it but even in his confused state, he just did as she asked. He is, after all, is wrapped around her finger. 

"Article 82 (Restoration of Rights)
In case one half of the term of a suspended sentence has elapsed for any person who had been sentenced to..."

He wasn't even done reading the first sentence when out of the blue, she was fanning her face and suppressing her squeals. Confused and not knowing what else to do, he continued reading until her "fangirling" attitude made him stop.

"I'm sorry. It's just that...I can't help it. Why are you so cute?" She asked.

"Uh, because I am?" He answered playfully.

She pushed his arm gently and kept shaking her head while smiling. When she believed she has recovered from whatever feels that got her hyped up, she looked at him with a gentle and loving gaze. As always, Yonghwa felt unravelled and completed just with one look. Only she has this effect on him and if he'll be honest, it's still a mystery and a miracle how the feeling never seems to fade. Rather, it intensifies as time passes by rather than subside. 

"Is there something on my face?" He asked, unconsciously using the English language rather than their native tongue.

"No. Nothing at all. You're face is perfect and handsome as usual." She sighed dreamily.

"Then what's up with that look?" He inquired. 

"Shouldn't you be used to it by now?" She chuckled. 

"I don't think I ever will be." He smiled shyly.

"Yong oppa. Ottoke? Why are you so perfect? Just when I think I can't fall deeper into you, you control the tides and caught me in its unmerciful waves. I'm swept up in this ocean of overwhelming emotions and my heart is filled with so much love for you. Whenever I thought that I'll drown, you'd reach out and pull me back safely in your arms.." She said poetically. 

Now he could feel his own smile reaching his ears and stretching even wider until his cheeks hurt. 

"Aigoo Joohyun-ah. I love you too." Was all he could say, still unconsciously using English.

"How did I not know you have such an adorable British accent?" She said.

"Ah. So that's probably what got her in a cute frenzy." He smiled to himself before responding.

"Because we never really had a conversation in English?" He knew his accent was naturally thick and that's when she lost it and started squishing his face like a teddy bear.

"Kyaaaa! You're sooooo cute, oppa! A Korean guy speaking English with a y British accent! My heart can't take this! Help!" She squealed. 

"What do you want me to do then, use sign language?" He chuckled.

"Ugh. There it is again. The accent! And please for the nth time stop doing that thing with your bangs and glasses! I'm having a JYH Overload right now. Dunno how much more of it I can take, so before I'm sent off to an asylum, why do you have it anyway? The accent. I've been around tryhards and wannabes to know which is fake or genuine. Yours is clearly natural and in no way, forced." Seohyun said.

"I went to boarding school in London." He said as a matter-of-fact while taking a bite of the sandwich she prepared for their study date.

"Figures. How long were you there?" She asked.

"Quite a long time. I got shipped off there because the bullying in my school was too much for a kid like me to handle. I'm three levels ahead of my age so there goes the rotten seniority mindset at play. First it was only for a vacation but when I got back here in Korea, my cousin and I were victims of a drunk driving accident. He died, I lived. 

Traumatic for an already bullied, socially awkward kid so I was sent back to London to recover. I didn't speak until after a year and a half from the accident. But, no worries. I'm okay now. No more survivor's guilt eating me up." Yonghwa shared.

"Please don't cry. I don't want you to pity me." He said as he brushed a tear off her cheek.

"I'm not pitying you. I just wished I could've been there for you." She sniffed.

"Come here, you. I told you I'm okay. Besides, if you were there I doubt you'd help. You were what? Five years old? Not an acceptable age for a therapist." He joked.

"Well FYI I'm way ahead of my age too. Need I remind that I'm already done with college, TWICE?"  She jabbed. 

"And a Ph.D plus masterals too so..yep." Seohyun added as she bit on the sandwich Yonghwa offered to her. He wiped the crumbs using his thumb. A simple gesture that made her blush. 

"So why have a go at it for the third time, Ms. Seo Joohyun-sshi?" Yonghwa asked like a reporter.

"Hmm.. I don't know. Aside from being bored, my family said I grew up too fast. They told me that I shouldn't miss out on my youth so I should go and live and enjoy rather than submit to the public opinion that I become some genius protege or whatever." She said.

"Why choose Seoul Uni? Why did you apply for your current major?" He continued the "interview."

"Several reasons. One, I'm done roaming around the world getting diplomas in every continent. I want to come home. Figured I'm done with obsessing over academic achievements. Second, because the campus here is awesome and it's kind of a family legacy to earn a degree here. 

As for my major...hmm. The arts has always been a passion of mine. A field I'm inclined and believe I'd excel at if given the chance to pursue it. All my life I was too caught up in the sciences that I felt like my freedom of expression was limited to methodological procedures and proven facts. I felt boxed. Caved in. 

I love drawing though it doesn't love me. I think I'm a pretty decent singer/dancer but acting is what captivates me even more. The ability to get up onstage, embody a character, and make the audience believe in something that doesn't exist or may exist but isn't real. It's something I am passionate about and soon I'd love to try writing and directing either a play or film. 

I went through more tests and auditions just to prove to haters and skeptics that I am deserving of a slot here in SU. It was unnecessary but I wanted them to shut up so I did as they demanded. Satisfied, Reporter Jung? Any more questions?" Seohyun asked.

"As a matter-of-fact yes. 'Tis the most important question of it all: in the midst of you living out and enjoying your youth, expressing your passion through your chosen major, how in the world did you manage to fall in love?" He prodded.

Seohyun nearly choked on her juice upon hearing that.

"I beg your pardon?" She asked.

"Let me rephrase that. How and when did you realize you were falling in love with me?" He grinned.

"Sorry but I don't take personal questions. I, thank you." Seohyun responded wittily.

"Fine then forget the interview and consider this off the record." He bargained.

"Since you're cute and you have a lovely accent, I'll grant this request." She giggled.

"So? How? Why? When was it you realized you were falling in love with me?" He asked, suddenly feeling nervous.

"I've always had a crush on you since the orientation but I knew I was falling in love when I saw how you helped a little boy tie his shoelace." Seohyun answered.

"Huh? That's it?" He asked.

"Yep. It's not out of this world special but every other guy just ignored the lost little boy who kept crying. You were carrying thick books and I knew you had a test to prepare for but you stopped and helped him up. You didn't leave him

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter