Broken Arm

Broken Arm - Hoya

Crisp, chilled breeze gently rustled the changing leaves overhead, browns, yellows and red leaves mixed in with the fading green leaves attached to the branches. Leaves slowly fell from the slight breeze, littering the edges of the sidewalks and covering the browning grass as a little boy trotted alongside his father.

“Are we going to the park, Daddy?” The little boy questioned with a hopeful tone lacing around his words.

“We sure are” Hoya sang, looking down at his son, trotting alongside of his long strides. “I thought I would bring you to a new one though”

“A new park?” The little boy questioned as his father, Hoya, hummed happily. “Has Mommy been to this park?”

“A very long time ago, but she has been here” Hoya smiled, his thoughts slightly flashing back to the time that he brought you here those not-so-long years ago.

“Daddy look!” The little boy stopped in his tracks once the equipment of the park came into view. “There it is!” His voice danced with excitement, his little feet prancing against the pavement.

Hoya and his son raced towards the park as they jumped off of the little concrete ledge onto the pebbles of the playground.

“Can I go play, Daddy?” The little boy looked back at his dad, seeing other kids climbing on the colorful playground.

“Of course” Hoya giggled, “Go have fun, Trevor, and I will be over here watching you”

“Have fun watching” Trevor smiled brightly and slipped his small hand from around Hoya’s finger as his little legs carried him over to the stairs.

Climbing up the stairs, Trevor carefully maneuvered the wiggly bridge and crawled through the tunnel, of course peering out each cut out and waving to Hoya, who was sitting on a bench, watching his son happily. Climbing up higher, Trevor carefully climbed up a few more stairs before sitting down and sliding down a small slide. His adorable laughter filled the park around him as he landed from the slide and ran around, climbing the stairs again to see what else he could explore.

Hoya slipped his hands into his pockets as he watched his son and enjoyed the beautiful overcast fall day that they were spending together. A brave little girl, started to play with Trevor as they had races down the side by side slides and seeing who was the fastest climbing up the slides. Their imaginations went wild as they pretended that they were pirates and ran from one end of the “ship” to the other, looking out for sea monsters causing Hoya to laugh just watching them.

“Look over at that big monster!” Trevor pointed out, his arm outreaching as he pointed off into the distance.

“What should we do, Captain?” The little girl questioned

“Let’s go take a boat over to the swings, then we could get away from the monster” Trevor suggested

“Good idea!” She happily called as the two of them slid down the largest slide and stumbled a little on their dismount of the slide.

“Daddy! Come push us!” Trevor yelled as he tried to wave over his dad.

“Alright, I;m coming” Hoya smiles, standing up from the cool bench, walking across the pebbles, the two kids were trying to jump and pull themselves up on the swings with little success.

“Let me help you two” Hoya chuckled, lifting the little girl up first and setting her on the seat of the swing before lifting Trevor up onto his swing. Standing behind them, he started to slowly push both of them as they continued to laugh and talk together.

“Trixie, time to head home sweetie” A sweet voice called from one of the surrounding picnic tables.

“But Mooommm” The little girl whined as she turned around and looked at her mother.

“We need to go home, it is getting a little cold and it is going to rain soon” Her mother reasoned with her as she nodded slowly.

“Alright…” Trixie sighed as Hoya slowed Trixie to a stop as he did for Trevor. Both of them slid off of the swings and landed on their feet before turning towards each other.

“Thank you for playing, it was a lot of fun” Trevor said with a smile, his little hands playing with one another.

“You are welcome, thank you for being the captain and saving us from the sea monsters” She giggled as he nodded and bowed to her, she bowed back before waving and then running off to her mom who was heading towards the sidewalk.

Watching her leave, Trevor slid his smaller hand around Hoya’s finger. “Can we still play at the park or do we have to go home?”

“We can stay for a little longer if you want, bud” Hoya smiled and ruffled his hair lightly.

“Will you play with me?” Trevor looked up at his dad with large, hopeful eyes.

“Of course~ What do you want to do first?” Hoya questioned, walking across the pebbles closer to the equipment.

“Slide!” Trevor cheered happily as he pulled Hoya up on the stairs before moving through the obstacles before reaching the slide he wanted to go down.

“Did you want to go down with me?” Hoya asked, sitting down and patting his lap

“YES!!!” Trevor happily climbed onto his father’s lap as Hoya wrapped his arm tightly around his son before pushing off, sending both of them down the slide happily.

“What do you want to try now?” Hoya questioned, sitting at the bottom of the slide.

“Those hook thingy’s” Trevor pointed over to the monkey bars

“You may be a little young for those” Hoya mumbled, just wanting to keep his son safe.

“Mommy lets me do them” Trevor looked up at his dad, Hoya thought it over as he nodded.

“Alright, we will try it but if it gets too scary we have to stop okay?” Hoya stood up and set his son on the ground as he nodded and ran off towards the monkey bars.

Trevor climbed up onto the landing and stretched his tiny body to try and reach the monkey bars. Hoya trotted over and lifted his son the rest of the way up before he grasped the monkey bars with his hands. Releasing Trevor from his grip, Hoya kept his hands off of the little body yet ready to catch him if he fell. Watching his son intently, he walked alongside him going from one end to the other. Going back and forth a few times, Hoya dropped his hands having confidence in his son that he could do it on his own.

Trevor got about half way before he felt his hand slip, trying to go back to the one his other hand was on, he his lip trying to figure out what to do.

“Daddy” Trevor whined a little, but figured it out and continued going on the monkey bars.

However, when he got close to the last one, the metal had gotten extremely cold due to the dropping temperatures. Trevor’s small hand slipped as his other hand slipped soon after sending his body plummeting towards the ground. Hoya tried to catch his son, yet his tiny body fell too quickly and hit the hard pebbles below.

Hoya knelt down and looked down at his son, his hand gently brushing some pebbles from his jacket and jeans.

“Are you okay?” Hoya questioned, looking over his son quickly. After a few moments, his son nodded his head slowly while large tears filled his eyes slowly. “What hurts?”

“M-My a-a-a-arm” Trevor pointed with his right hand to his left arm while his tears rolled down his face and his breathing was erratic from his tears.

“Okay, let’s get you over to a bench and see if you feel better” Hoya carefully scooped up his son into his arms, careful of his left arm while he carried him over to the bench. “How does it feel?”

“It really hurts” He stammered through the tears streaming down his cheeks. Hoya continued to brush him off before looking at his left arm.

“Can you squeeze my finger?” Hoya questioned, slipping his finger into the small hand of his son. Watching his little hand slightly contract around his finger, he his lips in worry before Trevor whined in pain.

“It hurts” He called louder than before.

“Alright, time to go home” Hoya whispered trying to keep his son calm. Walking towards home, he called you and caught you up to speed. With you stuck at the office longer than you had expected, you advised him to take Trevor to get his arm looked at.

About an hour later, Trevor was laying on a hospital bed with Hoya by his side, his arm in a splint while the doctors looked over the x-rays that they had just taken of his arm.

“Am I going to be okay?” Trevor questioned, his hand gently holding Hoya’s while his eyes widened at the sight of his arm wrapped and stabilized.

“You are going to be just fine” Hoya whispered as his other hand gently pet Trevor’s head. “Does your arm hurt anymore?”

“A little…” Trevor whispered, peering over at their intertwined hands

“The medicine should work soon" Hoya reassured his son, his thumb brushing over Trevor’s miniature fingers.

“Is Mommy coming?” Trevor whispered, his head slightly lulling over to one side, feeling the pain medicine start to make him sleepy.

“She is coming as soon as she is down with work” Hoya whispered as Trevor nodded slowly before dropping off to sleep a few minutes later.

Watching over his son, thoughts ran through his mind as he saw his little arm wrapped up in bandages as a weight started to form around his heart. Drawing his eyes up from his wrapped arm to the sleeping face of his boy, he gently his lips while wishing that he would have caught him so he wouldn’t be in this situation.

The curtain opened and the doctor stepped inside their little bay.

“He has a hairline fracture on his radius and a slight break on his ulna, the break didn’t damage the growth plates so his arm will continue to grow. However, because of the swelling, he will need to keep the splint on for a day or two before he comes back in to get a cast put on. Once the cast if put on, he will need to be in the cast for few months then he will get it off.” The doctor told Hoya, as he nodded taking in the information.

“Thank you, Doctor” He said gently, relived that it wasn’t worse.

“The nurse will be in with the discharge papers and contact information for scheduling” The doctor stood up and bowed before leaving the bay that they were staying in.

After the papers were all signed and the appointments were set up, Hoya carefully carried Trevor out to his car and headed home. Tapping his thumbs against the steering wheel to the soft beat of a few songs, the two boys finally arrived home.

Carrying Trevor inside, Hoya carefully changed him into pajamas and slipped him under the covers of his bed. Closing the door behind him slightly, he made his way out into the living room as he tried to clean up some of the scattered toys that they were playing with before they went off to the park.

The familiar sound of the lock twisted and the door being opened caught Hoya’s attention as his head snapped up to see you slipping through the front door. Hanging up your purse and your coat, you slipped your shoes off in haste before trotting over to Hoya.

“How is he?” You questioned, fear and concern growing within your eyes.

“He is fine, he had a hairline fracture in one of the bones and then a slight break in the other bone in the same arm. The doctor said he just needs to have a cast on for a few months” Hoya relayed as much as he could remember to you.

“Oh thank heavens” You let out a sigh of relief as you relaxed your body slowly and eased yourself down on the couch. Your eyes slowly watched Hoya pick up the toys slowly and put them in the large basket of toys sitting next to the bookshelf in the corner of the room.

“Hey, is everything okay?” You leaned forward, resting your arms on your legs as you watched him move slowly, gathering toys then placing them carefully in the basket.

“I just feel bad is all” He mumbled, emptying the last load from his arms before shuffling over to you and taking the empty seat next to you.

“Why do you feel bad, sweetie?” You questioned, turning your body towards him as your hand gently rested on his scapula, your thumb brushing over his long sleeved shirt that fit him so perfectly.

“I didn’t catch him in time…” His eyes fixated on his fingers as they intertwined with each other, brushing over one another as he let his thoughts churn in his mind.

“You tried to catch him though, you didn’t know that he was going to fall” You reassured, “Every child breaks at least one bone in their body.”

“I know, but I was right there, if I didn’t take my eyes off of him for that second…” Hoya dropped his head as you could tell that he was beating himself up for something that he couldn’t control.

“Come here, sweetie” You stood up as his eyes lifted up towards you, outreaching your hand, he lifted his hand up and wrapped his hand around yours before rising to his feet.

Moving from the couch and through the kitchen to the hallway leading to the bedrooms, you held his hand tighter before you carefully grasped the black door handle of Trevor’s room and pushed it open slightly so that the two of you could see your little boy sleeping soundly.

“Trevor may get hurt, but it isn’t your fault, it isn’t his fault. It happens, things happen for a reason but everything is okay. Bones heal, Hoya” You whispered as you glanced over at him, his eyes fixated on Trevor as his hand gently tightened around yours.

“Do you think he is mad at me?” Hoya whispered in a low tone. Stepping towards him, you shook your head from side to side gently.

“I don’t think he can be mad at his amazing dad” You whispered, leaning up, you carefully kissed his cheek.

“You sure?” Hoya questioned, his eyes peering into yours

“I’m sure. Trevor loves you so very much and thinks very highly of you, there is no way that he is mad at you for helping him when he was scared.” You reassured as you watched him nod slowly.

“Jagi?” Hoya cooed as you hummed in response. “Can we sleep with him tonight, just so we aren’t far away if he need anything?”

“Sure, I’ll go get some pillows and blankets for us then” You smiled and carefully untangled your hand from his.

A few minutes later, you came back to his room with pillows under one of your arms and a few blankets under the other. A smile couldn’t help but spread on your lips as the sight before you was just too heartwarming.

Hoya leaned against the side of Trevor’s bed, Hoya’s head laying against one of his strong arms on top of the mattress. His other hand wrapped around Trevor’s smaller hands, watching your two boys sleep, you quietly entered the room and set down the pillows and blankets down before picking out Hoya’s favorite blanket and laying it over his craned body leaning up against the side of the bed.

“You are an amazing father, Hoya. Don’t ever forget that” Kissing his head gently, you pet his hair a few times before you set up a little bed for yourself beside Hoya. Falling fast asleep with the rest of your family.