FINAL

My favorite classmate

Seunghoon excitedly hopped off of the last step of the school bus and bounced on the little heels of his small feet as he made his way towards his classroom. Fueled by the excitement he’s been feeling all morning, the lack of sleep didn’t even faze him until maybe later when it hits him during their naptime. That is unless his best friend Taehyun prevents him from doing so for feeling too happy that Seunghoon had handmaid and decorated the shirt he was wearing today with what would look like two of Taehyun’s prominent features: two droopy eyebrows and catlike eyes drawn messily with a marker but no doubt resembles Taehyun even without the mention of his name.

 

He had made the shirt with the genuine and innocent intention of making Taehyun smile today. Seunghoon enjoys seeing Taehyun smile and he especially prefers the smile when Taehyun’s two front teeth would peek out from his lips and his pale white cheeks would be puffed up and dabbed with a hint of blush; the smile that he reckon made Taehyun look like a bunny.

 

Though the moment he reaches the classroom, still excitedly hopping his way towards where Taehyun had always sat beside him, Taehyun’s eyes start to water, obviously trying to hold back his tears and biting down on his lips to silence his sobs while their classmates around them chuckle and whisper amongst themselves. Panicked, Seunghoon was at a loss of what to do at the sight of his favorite classmate crying in front of him. He had managed to ask him what was wrong but Taehyun only answered by pushing him away and ignoring him for the rest of morning. Thankfully, Taehyun had managed to calm himself down before the teacher arrived, though still leaving Seunghoon unknowing of what he did to get that kind of reaction. He was sure that the shirt would make Taehyun happy but he obviously thought wrong, leaving him pouty and sulky throughout the morning classes whilst sparing glances towards Taehyun every now and then in an attempt to figure out what he did wrong from his friend’s expressions.

 

Come break time, Taehyun still chooses to ignore Seunghoon despite his attempts at making peace. He had offered Taehyun his favorite strawberry milk not once, not twice, but three times now. But all three tries resulted to Taehyun only growing irritated. Though the fourth time, it was as if Seunghoon had struck gold seeing Taehyun react to the cookie he offered him. It looked like he was taking a moment to consider whether or not he was going to accept the apology with his intense stare fixated on the cookie Seunghoon was holding, leaving Seunghoon amused but mostly on edge whilst Taehyun was deliberating.

 

“T..Taehyun-ah?” He managed to mutter, which ultimately brought Taehyun back to his senses and in the end decides to forgive him by sparing him a small smile.

 

“That’s my favorite cookie.” Taehyun answers back shyly, appearing unsure on how to take the pack of cookies from Seunghoon.

 

“Are you really giving it to m—“ Seunghoon didn’t even give Taehyun a chance to finish his question and instead enthusiastically opens the packet of cookie before just as enthusiastically handing it to him without a second thought. He was still unsure why Taehyun was ignoring him, but if the cookie was going to make Taehyun forgive him, he didn’t mind giving the whole pack to him—even if it’s his favorite cookie as well.

 

“You can have it, Taehyun-ah.” Seunghoon says with a bright smile and tone. “I still have my strawberry milk!”

 

Despite Seunghoon’s enthusiasm and eagerness to give up his cookies, Taehyun still can’t help but feel bad for taking the only snack he brought for break time from him. The idea of him enjoying on his own didn’t settle quite well in the innocent kid’s conscience and he decides to share him some of his snacks as well.

 

“Seunghoon-ah.. Let’s share the cookies since it’s yours anyway, okay? I have some biscuits too if you want?” Taehyun asks with his bunny smile, giving Seunghoon no option to decline. How can he say no to the smile he has been wanting to see all morning?

 

Taehyun hands him a piece of cookie, which Seunghoon gladly accepts and for the briefest of moments, they sat in peace while nibbling on their cookies. Until Seunghoon brings up the crying incident that happened this morning once again, breaking the peace he worked so hard to achieve just like that.

 

“B..But Taehyun-ah, why did you cry.. this morning? Didn’t you like the shirt I made?” He carefully asks, hands gripping on the ends of the shirt while he does. The change in Taehyun’s mood was too evident to miss after the question, which made Seunghoon worried and panicked all over again.

 

“Ah.. Hah, hah.. Never mind it’s an ugly shirt anyway—“ He attempts on some damage control but the unhappy look on Taehyun’s face tells him it’s too late to do so.

 

“Seunghoon-ah! Are those two slides you drew on your shirt?” A rough voice, too low to be considered a kindergartener’s voice comments from the next table.

 

“Mino’s right! Taehyun’s eyebrows look like two slides above his eyes.” Seungyoon added which made the whole class burst out in laughter.

 

The only innocent soul that was on Seunghoon’s side was Jinwoo but his attempt to appease Taehyun proved to be futile when Taehyun starts to sob whilst still nibbling on the cookie to appear unaffected.

 

“Taehyun-ah..” Jinwoo’s voice was gentle and cautious as he walks over to Taehyun’s head to calm him down. “Your eyebrows don’t look like two slides at all, right Seunghoon?” He nudges Seunghoon to snap him out of his panicked state to back him up.

 

“Y..Yeah, Jinwoo is right Taehyu—“ Seunghoon was cut off the moment Taehyun starts to sob uncontrollably with the cookie getting crushed into crumbs by his grip, the chocolate staining his fingers and palm which made him wail even louder.

 

“My eyebrows aren’t that droopy! He made my eyebrows too droopy, Jinwoo!” Taehyun cried against Jinwoo’s shirt while Jinwoo wipes the chocolate off of Taehyun’s hand with a tissue. He sends a glare towards the next table, which scared the laughter out of the bullying bunch.

 

Seunghoon on the other hand watches in panic as Jinwoo attempts to calm Taehyun down, tears also b his eyes as he watches on. He wanted to quickly go home and change, but there’s still naptime after break time before he could do so.

 

He carefully approaches Taehyun and Jinwoo, a shaking hand just as carefully reaching out to Taehyun’s back as he sobs, with him also feeling like crying. But he fights back his tears, wanting to seem mature when he’s nowhere near being so.

 

“I’m sorry Taehyun-ah. I’ll change when I get home.” Seunghoon apologizes with a faltering tone but the despite the obvious remorse in his tone, Taehyun just swats his hand away. Seunghoon heard his heart break into a million pieces seeing Taehyun cry like that, but mostly because he’s afraid he lost his precious friend because of a dumb shirt.

 

With the two both exhausted, one from crying and one because of worrying too much, they both passed out easily during naptime. Seunghoon had Taehyun in his mind before he fell asleep, which carried over to his dreams.

 

He dreamt of Taehyun shunning him as a friend and unleashing his slide-like creatures to punish him for what he’s done but thankfully he wakes up before the creatures got to him in his dreams. He looks down on his shirt before flickering his gaze towards where Taehyun was sleeping soundly by the teacher’s table. The teacher had managed to calm and lull Taehyun to sleep with his favorite song, which was usually Seunghoon’s job.

 

A sigh escapes his lips as he lets his longing gaze linger on his friend for a while before quietly crawling towards him. He had managed to snuggle against Taehyun’s side without waking him up, with Taehyun even turning to lay on his side to hold Seunghoon’s head against his chest, most probably out of habit.

 

Despite feeling like a cheat as Taehyun cuddles him in his sleep, Seunghoon can’t help but be greedy for Taehyun’s comfortable cuddles. And so he decides to just enjoy the moment until Taehyun wakes up again to remember that he hates Seunghoon.

 

“Sleep well, Seunghoon-ah.” He hears Taehyun mumble out. But with Taehyun being a notorious sleep talker, he passes it off as Taehyun talking in his sleep and probably still friends with Seunghoon in his dreams. Nevertheless, those simple words eased up the heaviness in Seunghoon’s heart and he ends up falling asleep once again.

 

Seunghoon wakes up to Taehyun already getting ready to go home and he almost felt wronged when Taehyun didn’t wake him up like he usually does. Until he remembers that Taehyun probably doesn’t consider him as a friend anymore and he feels his heart sink when he sees Taehyun walking out of the room without even considering sparing him a glance. He felt so bad that he felt tears stinging his eyes as he scrambles to grab for his things and run after Taehyun.

 

Taehyun on the other hand had no idea Seunghoon was running after him until he was already out of the building to head to the school bus. He heard someone calling for him from behind, which he made out as Seunghoon in the end just from the voice. Taehyun was considering not turn around until he hears Seunghoon wailing in pain with his things flying everywhere as he trips and falls to the ground.

 

He quickly rushes over to find Seunghoon falling flat on his face and uncontrollably sobbing as if all the good in the world was out of it. Taehyun carefully helps him up to sit on the pavement before worriedly checking every inch of him for bruises.

 

“Seunghoon-ah, are you okay? Are you hurt anywhere?” Taehyun asks worriedly and urgently with Seunghoon pointing to his scraped forehead as a reply.

 

“I think I scraped my forehead when I fell face first on the pavement, Taehyunnie.” He whined as he grips on Taehyun’s shirt with his free hand. Taehyun then carefully inspects Seunghoon’s forehead before quickly rummaging through his bag to take out a bandaid.

 

“This will hurt a bit, Hoonie. But I’m sure you can take it.” Taehyun says encouragingly before gently sticking the bandaid on the scraped part on Seunghoon’s forehead, earning him a wince and another series of sob from Seunghoon.

 

“A..Are you still mad T..Taehyunnie?” Seunghoon asks carefully, not wanting to miss this chance of Taehyun giving him the attention he wants.

 

Taehyun could only snort out a short laugh at Seunghoon’s question. He wasn’t sure if he could continue on being mad at Seunghoon at the sight of him crying, drooling and just all in all miserable in front of him with a band-aided scrape on his forehead.

 

“Uhh—didn’t we cuddle during naptime, Hoonie? I thought we already made up?” He says, flashing Seunghoon his favorite bunny smile as he Seunghoon’s hair. Seunghoon on the other hand bursts out crying once again after hearing Taehyun’s words, emotions getting the best of him as he jumps and cries on Taehyun’s shirt, which made Taehyun fall first on the solid pavement.

 

“I..I’m Sorry Taehyunnie. I’m sorry I didn’t draw your eyebrows nicely. I’m going to throw out this shirt the moment I get home.” Seunghoon cries against Taehyun’s shirt, all the attempts of him acting all mature before completely disregarded now that he’s finally forgiven.

 

“Throw it out? N..No, Hoonie. Make me one as well.” Taehyun says despite still hating how his eyebrows looked on Seunghoon’s shirt.

 

“R..Really?” Seunghoon looks up at him with tear-stained cheeks and a puffed up, red nose.

 

“Really.” Taehyun replies brightly with a firm nod.

 

“I’ll draw your eyebrows prettier then.” Seunghoon says eagerly before nuzzling his face against Taehyun’s shirt once to rid of his tears, to which Taehyun didn’t object like how he would have normally.

 

Seunghoon then looks up at Taehyun, now calmed down but with his eyes widened, cheeks puffed out with his lips jutted out to a pout. Taehyun looked down at him, expression confused.

 

“What is it?” Taehyun asked curiously.

 

“Aren’t you going to kiss the boo boo on my forehead, Taehyunnie?” Seunghoon asked with a kicked puppy expression on his face.

 

Taehyun’s eyes widen at the ridiculous request but he does not have the heart to refuse Seunghoon’s request with that look on his face.

 

With a sigh, he leans in to press a gentle kiss atop the band-aid on Seunghoon’s forehead and with the simple gesture, Seunghoon finds his bright smile again.