I

Horizons Of The Sunset
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"This is a rare condition called Supraventricular Tachycardia, In short, S.V.T. Its the rapid beating of a heart rate, most of the time it being above 100 beats per minute that is caused by electrical impulses that originate above the heart's ventricles. In your son's case, he has an extra vein that is connected to his heart. For example, If us human beings have 120,000 veins in our body, donghae has 120,001 veins in his. Which is what makes him special and vulnerable. His heart rate was close to a 160 beats per minute. That is totally abnormal for an 8 year old child. If you have unfortunately brought him any later, He could have died." The doctor, Mr Park explained to the two parents that were both emotionally and physically tired from all the crying and days of sleepless nights. It was a total nightmare.

 

" Can he be treated? Can my son be treated?" Donghae's father asked desperately, His eyes wide open with hope. Donghae was only 8 for god's sake. No child at that age deserves to suffer. He brought his wife closer to himself when he felt her body shake as she inhaled. 

 

" This is a very rare heart condition but surgeries can be done to remove that extra vein. However, We as doctors do not suggest this to be done now as he is only 8. Maybe when he is over 20." The doctor Park said as he scanned through donghae's report once again. 

 

"Any medications? Will he still be able to live his life normally?" Donghae's mom asked, choking on her own tears. Her eyes were blood shot as she held on to her husband's shirt.

 

" We won't prescribe any medications for him as he is still young. We will teach him some methods that will help to reduce his heart rate when there is a need to do so. This condition is not life threatening unless his heart beat is over 120 beats per minute. You will have to bring him to the emergency room is that happens. He will also not be able to do any activities that causes adrenaline rush or a sudden surge of excitement might affect him. For example, roller coasters are something that he won't be able to ride for his entire life time." Doctor Park reassured that this was not a life threatening condition. 

 

"He will be alright?"


 

" We promise to do what we can."

 

 

————

 

 

"Donghae. If you ever feel uneasy like when you feel really tired or when you can hear your heart going, 'ba dum ba dum' really fast, this few things will help you. First, Take two fingers. Your index and middle and slowly rub on this side of your neck." The doctor Park said as he brought two of the boy's fingers to his nape and smiled at the little boy who looked at him with big doe eyes and guided him to press on it gently. "Those are Jugular veins which are connected to other veins in our body that is also connected to our heart. Pressing on it gently will reduce the heart's palpitation a little." Dr.Park explained to the boy's parents. " Donghae, but you must not press on it too hard or it might be painful." He said to the kid in a soothing voice, playfully ruffling the small boy's head.

 

"For the second one, you will need to pinch your nose." The doctor said and pinched the small boy's nose playfully which resulted in the boy smiling at him which was a relief as the past few days in the hospital wasn't a pleasant one. " Just like that and blow really really hard! Just like how you do it in the toilet. Until your ears block out and then you can release your nose and be a healthy donghae once again!" He said to the boy and smiled at the sight of the boy trying to do what he had just said. 

 

" Just be careful, do not ask him to press the sides of his neck to harshly or both sides at the same time as that might result in him fainting as the veins at that area are sensitive and fragile." Dr.Park warned the parents and gave the small little boy a lollipop.

 

" I would like to see him 5 times in a year and gradually we will see less of each other, maybe like once every 2 years unless he experiences it once again, Which we hope won't be the case." 

 

" Thank you doctor."

 

" Its my job."

Donghae is 19 now. He is a well mannered and a very respectful young man who works at a CD shop right in the center of the town. He is majoring in Arts and was well known for his violin, piano and last but not least, his sweet voice. He was talented in those areas which was a gift from the god. Having something in him that not everyone in the world has does not make him any lesser to anyone out there . He is great at sports but he knows when to stop. He used to love soccer and even asked his father why he could play but gave up when he knew

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter