A PROMISE

MY MISS UNIVERSE

 

Kim Taehyung has always been the weird one.

He has that inexplainable love for galaxies and the outer space. His room was painted like the night sky, with glow in the dark heavenly bodies stick on the ceiling. He loves to watch cartoons about space heroes, science fiction movies and shows that's about the universe.  

And when people asked him if his dream is to become an astronaut, he always shake his said while showing his goofy smile and says "No, my dream is to become an alien"  Gaining weird looks and raised eyebrows and laughs from others. 

The reason for his dream is that he wants to travel, just like the other kids. But unlike them, he wants to travel not just world, but the universe. He wants to travel the universe and experience living outside of the Earth. 

Older people would shrugged their shoulders saying that it's normal for a child as young as six, imagination as they say.

While kids his age will conclude that he's just plain weird. Well, he really is.

But for Kim Taehyung it is not just imagination.


His dream of becoming an alien came true as the children around the area started calling him as one. And he likes it, no doubt.

He's quiet at some time but loud at most. Suddenly shouting without a warning. Suddenly stopping from whatever he's doing just to stare at nothing. And the moment he looks up at the sky, no one can ever talk to him to bring him back his mind to earth. 

No one understands him. And no one even tries to.

But he doesn't mind.

He's happy being himself, with his intergalactic dreams all keep in his heart.

Until she came.

The little girl named Irene who's on the same level of weird he is at.

Weird not just personality wise like Taehyung, but also physically.

Taehyung knows what she is. And he's more than happy to meet someone like her. She manages to look like a normal earthling but not totally.

She has this somehow cute greenish wiggly antennae above her head, sprouting out her beanie that she always wear over her equally cute blonde pigtails. Her skin is pale in normal light but turns a shade of green when under the light of the sun, or at rare moments of blushing. 

She always wear winter clothes, despite being in the middle of summer; protective scarf, sweater, leggings, a somehow oversized boots and completed with her pink mittens.

She has round and shiny hands and feet, with four fingers each, hidden underneath her boots and mittens.

But nevertheless, Taehyung likes her the way she is. Taehyung likes her whatever she is.

It is on one night, inside Taehyung's room, when they make a promise. 

Taehyung's favorite cartoon just ended. The two are inside his room, on the floor, in front of his television set, munching on some cookies, but actually it is just Taehyung who's eating. Irene doesn't eat food from earth. It's not delicious, according to her taste buds.

"Have some cookies. They taste better than the vegetables you tried last time" Taehyung said, pushing the jar of cookies to her

"All human food tastes the same to me. They're not good" 

"Eh. Well, I want to taste your food, too." Taehyung mumbled and just randomly switches channels to find something good to watch until they came to a channel that broadcasts the ongoing Miss Universe Coronation Night.

"Miss Universe eh? But all of them are earthlings, none are from other planets" Irene comments as she watches the show seriously.

"I'm actually wondering too" Taehyung shrugged and lays down, using his left arm as his pillow while his right fetches another cookie from the jar and brings it to his mouth "Ah!" The little girl stares blankly at him with his sudden action. She is already used to him being like that so no wonder. She reaches his hand towards him and wipe away the crumbs on his face.

"When we grow up, you should join that pageant too!" Taehyung suggests excitedly as of it is the most brilliant idea he ever had.

"Me? In a beauty pageant? No way, I'm not like them"

"Why not? You're qualified to join " With the same lying position, he looks up and points his finger outside the window "And that would be great, because finally someone not from Earth will join Miss Universe" Taehyung sits up from the floor before facing her "And also, you are beautiful" 

His last words makes her blush unknowingly and Taehyung chuckles as he sees the green shade on her cheeks

"Me? B-beautiful?" She asks. Taehyung nods.

"Very beautiful"

"But..." she looks back to the television, seeing the contestants wearing their gowns and walking elegantly on the stage "I'm not that confident to join"

"We have time to prepare! And don't worry, when you join, I'll be on the front and will be the loudest one cheering for you while holding a banner!" He stands and get a small towel from somewhere and started chanting her name. Taehyung is full of energy as he imagines the future, while Irene is just there, admiring his smile.

"I'm weird. I won't win for sure"

"Being weird is your biggest asset. And so what? You'll be the winner for me no matter what" 

"Really?"

"Of course, you're my own Miss Universe"

"What if you'll meet others like me too? What if someday, I'm not the only one who's different?"

"I don't care about them, even if they come from the brightest stars. For me, you're the only star who'll shine the brightest and my one and only Miss Universe. Nothing can compare with you, no one can beat you"

"Is that a promise?" she asks. Taehyung stops and sits in front of her, bringing his pinky finger up.

"Yes. So promise me, you'll wait for me to be an alien too. Okay?" 

With a smile, she intertwined her pinky finger with his "Okay, promise"

"Yey!!!"

 

 

 

15 years later Kim Taehyung is still the same weird boy. The same boy who dreamed of being an alien. The only difference is, before being an alien means traveling the universe, but now, being an alien means seeing her again.

And so 15 years later Taehyung sits on the floor, inside the same room, watching the broadcast of Miss Universe Coronation Night. If ever his friends would find out that he's watching the show they would probably thinking differently.

He watches quietly as they crowned the winner. She's pretty, but not as pretty as Irene. She's pale, but nothing beats Irene weird color. She's turning red, maybe with all the emotions of being winner, but nothing can compare with how Irene's face turns a shade of green when blushing. 

Nothing can compare with her.

Taehyung smiles bitterly, lying down on the floor. He looks up and points his finger on the brightest star he could see outside his window, wondering when he could ever see his own Miss Universe again.