Chapter 3

The Fiction on Your Lips

“Your powers, if you don’t push them, will be exactly what you have been given.” Jongdae paced around the room as he talked, nervously gesturing with his hands. Clearly something was bothering him. “For example, my abilities would be limited lightning, and Joonmyeon, yours would just be water control.


“But you mustn’t think of your powers this way. If you stretch them, they can do so much more. It might seem difficult to understand, but think of your powers. You can kind of… feel what you know you can control, right? Chanyeol, you for example can easily feel fire, and Kyungsoo you can feel the earth. Like a sixth sense, almost. But this sense can extend to all aspects of your power.”


Jongdae frowned, trying to find the words to explain it. “Think of the components of fire. There’s the flame, the spark, the heat, the carbon dioxide it produces, the charcoal it leaves behind. You can control all of these. Anything that has one of these components in it is yours to control.”


“How?” It was Kyungsoo who asked.


 “It’s not easy, of course, but like I said, think of your powers. Really try and feel them, feel what you know you can control.” Jongdae waited while everyone focused on their abilities, on their cores. “Now look harder, feel harder. Chanyeol, you can feel the same heat in that light bulb as in a candle, if you look hard enough, can’t you?” 


Chanyeol stared up at the lightbulb on the ceiling, and he nodded, eyes widening. “Of course, it’s not as easy as controlling your raw power, but it is incredibly useful.”


A week of training had passed. Zitao had discovered he had the ability of time control, which the others only noticed when Zitao shouted in surprise suddenly, eyes wide, that everything had stopped moving for a moment. Jongin had also found his power, when Chanyeol had accidently brushed him with a flame and he had suddenly appeared across the room from where he had been standing.


Kris had yet to show anything, even though Jongdae had tried multiple activities with him. Baekhyun could tell it was aggravating Jinseok immensely.


Baekhyun himself had discovered he could make people feel things other than just raw love. Over the week he had been tentatively practicing his power on Jinseok, and so far he had been successful in making him feel lust, calmness, excitement, happiness, and strong infatuation. He had also worked on how he transferred the emotions. Instead of using his hands, he was able to push them out like a wave, meaning he didn’t have to touch Jinseok, or even be near him to manipulate his emotions.


He hadn’t risked trying any negative emotions, with Jinseok as his only subject. He couldn’t risk anything going wrong.


They were in Jinseok’s room, the older man frowning down at the papers down at his desk. Eventually he slammed his pen down on the table, his expression becoming a scowl. “I can’t understand why the Wu boy’s powers don’t show. His brothers were so successful.”


Baekhyun lifted his head from the pillow in surprise. “You have his other brothers? As well as Jongdae?” He asked from where he was curled in a ball on the bed. Jinseok had insisted he rest.


“Hm?” Jinseok looked over his shoulder from his desk, pausing to take in Baekhyun’s form with a smile. “Yes, we do. Luhan was our first successful experiment! Hundreds failed before him, so we thought maybe it was something to do with the bloodline. So we took Jongdae and then Sehun.”


“And then… Kris?” Baekhyun paused to push out a wave of calmness, making sure it washed over Jinseok fully. Hopefully that would make him more willing to talk about these things. “Why’d you take so many other students with him?”


The tension in Jinseok’s shoulder’s released, and he smiled dazedly back at Baekhyun. “We wanted just Kris alone, but he was constantly under protection. So eventually we just decided we’d take everyone around him as well. I mean, what’s a few deaths compared to the Great War that is to come?”


Baekhyun tried not to let his unease show.


“Of course, we didn’t expect to have so many successes!” Baekhyun thought back to the dead bodies lying on the street, the bloody mess in the driver’s seat. “And what luck that you were amongst them, hm?”


The chair creaked lowly as Jinseok scraped it back to make his way over to where Baekhyun was curled up. “How lucky are we, darling?”


Baekhyun swallowed heavily. “Very.”


Jinseok grinned and bent his huge form down to the bed to press a long kiss to Baekhyun’s mouth. He responded as little as he could get away with as Jinseok opened his mouth against his.


Thankfully, Jinseok pulled away after a few minutes. “Ah, unfortunately I cannot let you distract me, little dove. I have lots of work to do for our invasion.”


Baekhyun nodded, trying to look upset. It apparently worked, because Jinseok cooed lightly and tapped his nose. “Don’t be sad. Have a nap and the time will pass before you know it.”


He nodded again, having to close his eyes and pretend to sleep before Jinseok finally turned away and went back to his desk


Baekhyun stared at his back, watching the harsh muscles shift under his shirt as he wrote. Images of Jaejoong’s neck snapping clean in two echoed through his mind and he curled closer in on himself, forcing himself to try and sleep to make Jinseok happy.


+


Baekhyun bit his lip anxiously as his eyes darted around the room. Jinseok had left half an hour ago. He said he would be back in a couple of hours.


He took a deep breath to try to calm his racing thoughts. Now could possibly be his only chance to see Minseok and the others. He thought he was going to go mad trapped in this room and the viewing room every day, constantly on edge trying to make sure Jinseok never even suspected his love for Baekhyun was fake. He needed to get out of here. He needed to see Minseok.


Another five minutes passed and he knew it was now or never. With gritted teeth he strode to the door, hand hesitating only for a second on the handle before he pushed it open.


Jinseok had let it slip that most of the personnel would be at the meeting he was attending, and he breathed a sigh of relief when he found the hallway empty.


Without wasting anymore time he slipped out of the room and dashed down the hall.


Before any thoughts of where he was supposed to go even crossed his mind a voice boomed out. “Wait.”


His heart stopped. He felt almost dizzy with fear and thought he might vomit before he reminded himself he could handle this. He could do this. He heard heavy footsteps behind him getting closer and closer and before he could second guess himself he spun around on his heel with a – hopefully – sweet smile. The imposing guard was confused for a moment and he took the hesitation as a chance to focus on wrapping tendrils of trust and affection around him.


The guard visibly relaxed but Baekhyun didn’t allow himself the luxury. He had to deal with this before anybody else spotted him and he had an actual situation on his hands. “Hello.” The guard smiled and he powered on. “I need help finding the students who are being trained. Do you know where Kim Minseok is?”


The guard frowned slightly and Baekhyun strengthened the cloud around his eyes. “I… aren’t you supposed to stay in the room?” He mumbled, words slightly slurred.


Baekhyun smiled again, reaching out a hand to squeeze his shoulder. “It’s okay. It’ll be our secret, right?”


The guard looked down at his shoulder and then back up, blinking slowly. “Right.” He cleared his throat. “I guess that’s okay then. For you. They’re down the hall that way,” he pointed over Baekhyun’s shoulder, “then you take two rights, a left, a right and then straight down to the door right at the end. Do you need me to take you there?”


Baekhyun shook his head and started to back away. “No, that’s fine, thank you so much.” Before he reached the corner her called out, as an afterthought, “Remember! Our little secret.”


He didn’t wait for an answer, instead darting through the elaborate building as per the guard’s instructions. It wasn’t long before he reached the hall that led to the door but he jerked back quickly around the corner when he saw the two armed guards in front of it.


Panicked, he glanced around at the grey walls. He was so exposed here, he needed to get into that room quickly. But how would he get past them? He could walk up to them and try to charm them but that might take too long. What would they do to him before he could reach them? He cast his mind back to Jongdae’s lessons desperately, trying to recall anything that could help him.


He stilled as an idea occurred to him. If he could influence the mind, the brain then…


He tilted his head slightly around the corner. They were so far away. Could he even reach them?


He heard the echo of footsteps in a distant corridor and with a racing heart decided he had to try.


Focusing on his targets, he tried to think of sleep. Complete and utter exhaustion and comfy beds and soft sheets and drifting off into sleep sleep sleep. He only just stifled down a whoop when the pink fog started to crawl it’s way up the hall. Eventually, it began to curl around their feet, tentatively climbing their legs like vines.


One of the guards swayed slightly.


Baekhyun pushed it further, further than he would risk normally as he could feel himself tiring. But then, thank god, they both started to yawn and stumble and then they were dropping to the floor, completely unconscious.


Baekhyun let himself grin then, as he darted up the corridor and through the door past their sleeping forms.


+


The room he entered was pitch black. He walked forward slowly with his hands out, swearing when he kicked his toe against something.


Lights suddenly flooded the room and he blinked as he processed that he was in some kind of dorm room, had banged his foot on a bed frame, and there were eight sets of eyes blinking up at him from their beds.


The silence was snapped by a broken, “Baekhyun!” and next thing he knew Baekhyun had an armful of sobbing Minseok and he realised he was crying too, and relief washed through his body. He tried to hide it by shoving his face into the other boy’s hair but that just seemed to make it worse because it was so familiar and so very Minseok.


The rest of them seemed to shake themselves out of their stupor and they all climbed out of bed warily, eyeing the scene in front of them.


Eventually Minseok pulled back – Baekhyun tried not to yank him back in – and looked him over head to toe. “What on earth is going on?”


Baekhyun swallowed knowing his voice would be shaky and wiped a hand over his face to get rid of the tear tracks. “I don’t really know.” That sounded much more tiny than he had intended and he tried for a stronger tone. “There’s all this talk of an invasion and I’m not sure but… but I think they’re going to attack the 
government. And you guys are their… secret weapon.”


A wave of horror swept through the group, and it was Joonmyeon who stepped forward, shaking his head. “I don’t understand. Why would they do this? Who are they?”


“They must be the group that have been making the attacks on the north.” Kyungsoo piped up. “The ones taking those children.”


Baekhyun nodded. “I don’t know for sure, I only know what I hear.”


“How do you hear things? What the hell is going on with you?” Minseok demanded, still planted firmly in front of him.


“I – it’s-” he looked up at the ceiling and tried to find the words that wouldn’t make him sound like some weird ert. “When the lightning hit the bus I got… powers, too.” He didn’t look down to see their reactions. “For some reason my scars disappeared and they were going to kill me and so I had to do something, Minseok I had to-”


Minseok grabbed his shoulder quickly, and he looked down to find him staring at him with wide eyes. “Baekhyun, whatever you’ve done, it’s okay. You’re just surviving.”


Baekhyun swallowed, grounded by the warm grip through his shirt. “My powers seem to be – I mean, I seem to be able to make people feel things. And I… I made him fall in love with me. He’s still in love with me. Well, he thinks he is, anyway.”


He didn’t look away from Minseok the whole time he spoke but instead of the flinch he expected Minseok just nodded. He wasn’t looking at Baekhyun like he was a sick freak and Baekhyun didn’t let his heart get too hopeful at that.


He forced himself to look at the rest of the room and found similar looks – sympathy and understanding, most of them shocked too – none disgusted.


When his eyes met Kris’s his mind was jolted with the memory of Jinseok’s words. “Kris,” he said urgently, “they have your other brothers. Somewhere here.”


About a hundred different emotions flickered through Kris’ face in the space of a second before he schooled it into a hard, determined expression. “We have to get out of here.”


Nobody disagreed.


“Baekhyun, how much do you know about the layout of this place.” Yixing’s face was more serious than he had ever seen it.


Baekhyun thought of the guard earlier. “I can find out whatever you need me to.”


Yixing nodded to himself. “Okay. We need to work out the fasted and most secluded exit route.”


“Also Baekhyun,” Kyungsoo interjected, “you need to find out where they’re keeping Kris’s brothers.”


“And-” Jongin’s voice was hesitant, as though he was expecting to be told to be quiet. When nobody stopped him he continued, “we should find out how to get these cuffs off. Maybe somehow we could get one of the key cards they use to unlock them.”


They all hummed in agreement and Jongin’s shoulders relaxed slightly.


Chanyeol cleared his throat. “We’ll have to get out on a night where not many people are around. Also we need to get an idea of the security keeping people in once we’re outside the building. Won’t do any good to get out the door only to be shot down the second we put a foot on the grass.”


More ideas were piped up and the list of things they needed to do was getting depressingly long. However, it felt more than anything like progress, and he could tell everyone felt a tiny shred of hope.


He was about to speak up - when a groan drifted in abruptly from outside the door. He froze.


Quick as he could he leant forward and spoke in a hurried whisper, “I knocked out the guards but they’re waking up, I have to get out of here. Everyone focus on what we talked about okay? I’ll try to get to you all soon but no promises.”


Once again he was crushed into a hug by Minseok and he wrapped his arms around his waist, squeezing back fiercely.


“Stay safe.” Minseok whispered to him, and he mumbled it back into his shoulder.


It wasn’t until he was safely back in Jinseok’s room that his heart finally started to slow down. He told himself it was the run back through the halls, and not Minseok’s breath against his neck that set it racing.

 

 

AN

 

Please don't disown me for taking so long eeeeeek I'm really sorry fam!!!!!

I hope you like this chapter! But like please tell me if any part of this is boring I feel like it's getting boring and I don't know what to doooooo :/

Thank you for reading again you guys are seriously too amazing 

 

xxxxxxxx